2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1047016 12/19/08 01:06 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm not sure if people usually post introductions here, but here's mine!

I am an attorney and a single mom of three, and I started taking piano lessons in early September. I was able to take lessons when I was a child but I've always wanted to learn piano, so I thought I'd do it now that I'm an adult!

I had my first lesson on September 4th. I am learning from Adult Piano Adventures (Faber) All-In-One. I guess I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. I have a piano teacher who comes to my home once a week after my kids are in bed. I play an upright Samick that I bought used. I didn't know anything about shopping for pianos when I bought it, which seems foolish in retrospect. My teacher said I got lucky because it has a good sound.

I was so excited to find this message board. I am really enjoying learning piano. It's so cool to be able to do things that I couldn't do a few months ago, or even a week ago. I hope that as an added bonus that my children will find that they are interested in music as well!

#1047017 12/19/08 01:39 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by StripedPolkadot:

I was so excited to find this message board. I am really enjoying learning piano. It's so cool to be able to do things that I couldn't do a few months ago, or even a week ago. I hope that as an added bonus that my children will find that they are interested in music as well!
So true. Welcome StripedPolkadot and I hope you'll enjoy the journey.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
#1047018 12/19/08 07:41 AM
Welcome to the forum.

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
#1047019 12/19/08 10:05 AM
F
F
From another parent of young children who is taking lessons, welcome, and congratulations on finding a nice piano. I'm very impressed that a single parent with a full time plus job can find time to play - what a wonderful example you are setting for your children.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
#1047020 12/19/08 10:35 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome,
Sounds like you are off to a great start.
smile

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
#1047021 12/19/08 12:04 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hello from another novice. It's fun, isn't it. Learning a new piece and watching it slowly come together is rather cool, don't you think?

Don't fret about that Samick. You did fine. I play an old negelected Samick a few times a month and prefer it to my digital piano.

Gary
#1047022 12/19/08 12:52 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to some "serious" fun ahead thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
#1047023 12/20/08 12:57 PM
Welcome to the forum....

Im a mom of two young children too. My son is 8 and my daughter just turned 5. I work part time and I take lessons in the evenings. Once a week.

I just started piano last April. And I am also using Faber's Adult All in one. What page are you on????

Its nice to find someone in the same book. What kind of music do you like to play?

KaylaX smile

Happy Holidays

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
#1047024 12/20/08 10:31 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you, everyone!

I have three kids. Twin 4 year olds and a 2 year old. They're a lot of fun. Sometimes they 'practice piano' with me. smile

Gary, I do like my Samick. I like how it sounds. I think it has some 'action' problems, but I don't play anything fast enough for it to matter yet.

KaylaX, "I just started piano last April. And I am also using Faber's Adult All in one. What page are you on????"

Yay! Do you have a teacher or are you just using the book? Do you like the book?

Today I've been practicing Sonatina in C on page 124.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

#1047025 12/21/08 02:20 AM
Welcome to the forum. I'm almost an attorney (one semester to go!), and I admire you for having the time to practice, considering your job and your kids. And it's great that your kids are getting exposure to music at such an early age.

Hope you stick around; this is a great forum.

#1047026 12/21/08 12:12 PM
Morning StripedPolkaDot,

I have a teacher. I take a 1/2 hour lesson once a week at my house. And yes, I like the book. I guess. Some parts I like and some I dont. There are some pieces that I dont much care for but overall im happy. I also have Alfreds All in one that I glance at everyonce in a while. You are a little bit ahead of me. I didnt start this book till October. Befor that I had another teacher that had me working out of childrens books. It was kinda frustrating, so I switched teachers. Anyway, im on page 99. Working on "Half time band". Its fun.

I better git, Welcome, and have a Wonderfull Winter Holiday.........

KaylaX cool

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
#1047027 12/21/08 03:04 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Kayla,
I liked half time band as well!
I also had a different teacher who had me doing a kids book, but then explaining concepts that were beyond what I could understand at the time. I often felt confused and (honestly) kind of intimidated. I saw him after I quit going to his lessons and he told me that sometimes adults find that they don't really have the time to play piano (as if I hadn't thought through piano-playing before I started paying for lessons). I found that kind of off-putting. Um, sometimes adults find that they have teachers who don't understand them! I have a different teacher now and I like him a lot. Before I started with my new teacher I explained to him that I want to learn but that I'm single, I have three kids and a job, so I'm going to have 'bad' weeks. It's not a reflection on how important piano is to me or how much I want to learn - I wouldn't be taking lessons for the first time at age 27 if I didn't want to learn! But my life circumstances sometimes mean I don't get to practice as much as I would like and that's going to show sometimes. I told me my teacher that I needed a teacher who would understand that. He said he understood and I did in fact have a few bad weeks about a month back. We worked through them and my teacher was patient and encouraging and I'm going as strong as ever now. Finding a good match as a teacher seems to be really important!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission