2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Today I played 2 pieces as part of a program at our local nursing home, put together by my piano teacher. Haven't performed in front of anyone other than family for many, many years, and even then not on piano! Played somewhat difficult arrangements of 2 hymns. I was SO nervous, more so than I had imagined I could be. Couldn't eat before, almost backed out. But, I muddled through. Missed some notes, but kept going, huge for me.

The piano was a hoot. Old spinet, uneven action, uneven volumn, not quite in tune, wobbly bench. So they probably didn't notice the missed notes. And they did clap eek .

I'm so glad the first time is over. It couldn't possibly ever be this bad again, could it? I want to continue to do this, but sure hope I can get a handle on the nerves.

Steinway B
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Playmisty4me:
Today I played 2 pieces as part of a program at our local nursing home, put together by my piano teacher. Haven't performed in front of anyone other than family for many, many years, and even then not on piano! Played somewhat difficult arrangements of 2 hymns. I was SO nervous, more so than I had imagined I could be. Couldn't eat before, almost backed out. But, I muddled through. Missed some notes, but kept going, huge for me.

The piano was a hoot. Old spinet, uneven action, uneven volumn, not quite in tune, wobbly bench. So they probably didn't notice the missed notes. And they did clap eek .

I'm so glad the first time is over. It couldn't possibly ever be this bad again, could it? I want to continue to do this, but sure hope I can get a handle on the nerves.
My daughter belongs to the local chamber music group and every year they have two warm-up performances at nursery homes the night before their main performance. I had to smile when you mentioned the state of the piano. It's pretty scary when you HOPE it's a digital so at least it won't be too bad compared to some of the acoustic beasts that some of these places have.

That said, the audiences at the nursing homes tend to be a wonderful audience to play for (esp if you are dealing with a bit of performance anxiety) . They are usually very respectful (except for the odd cantankerous ones) and often quite grateful that you are there at all. Also a very unpretentious atmosphere.

Congratulations on overcoming your fears and working through it. Just think about the fact that you brightened up their days, even if it was just for a little while.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Applause, applause, applause. And to keep going thru the missed notes - a pro, already.

Two hymns - exactly the right choices for the audience, most likely.

These kinds of performances are wonderful - kind of a collaboration between the performer and the audience. That's what helps the nerves, for me - it's not a performance so much as a shared time and music.

Congratulations.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
V
V
considering that my mind goes blank whenever someone walks by while im playing, i would say u're pretty professional. keep going at it. im quite sure it'll only get better

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
thumb Good for you, Playmisty. I'm someone who goes down in flames the moment I turn on the cassette recorder, so I think anyone who can pull off a performance is awesome.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Bravo. I have stood in front of college students and given lectures, stood in front of the board of huge international companies and given presentations, but I get wobbly even at piano lessons with the most gentle teacher you could imagine. As for performing - forget it for now...

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Playmisty4me:
It won't be. It gets easier and easier and--believe it or not--if you do it often enough, you may feel no nerves at all.

This is a huge and important rite of passage for you! Congratulations!! We all agonize over the Red Dot, but the Red Dot got nothin' on the Accumulated Glare of Dozens of Eyeballs. eek

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
LaValse. Been there done that. I have always been a success at whatever I have attempted=---except when it came to learning to play when someone is listening. I have the most wonderful teacher one could ever hope to have. He is kind, always encouraging, and patient. Yet, I really played so miserably today, and just could not get things right. Yet an hour before my lesson things were going great.

What was awful was that I had really practiced, and thought I had several things well learned.

Just the idea that someone may be listening reduces my fingers to jelly, and none of the notes on the page make sense.

Playmisty4me has my total admiration. She kept playing even though she was nervous and had missed a note here and there. Love her description of the piano. Gaby tu

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm going to start dragging people off the street...

smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yay congrats. It takes a lot of guts to do that and i admire you for it. Well done!!

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission