2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1040458 03/04/05 03:47 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I wash my hands thoroughly with very warm water, which helps my hands loosen up a bit. I always have a glass of water beside the piano. I have a clock on the piano, but I use it to time how long it takes me to play a piece I'm working up -- e.g. when first starting the nocturne I just finished, it took about 15 minutes to play it. When completed and polished it took 3 1/2 minutes. So, I know I'm making progress when I'm beating the previous time recorded.

I have a bad habit -- if my brain starts to overload from too much information and not enough coordination, I get up and pace furiously for about two minutes while allowing my brain to process all it has to do. Then I go back and reinforce it. All told, I probably pace a good ten minutes during an hour's practice.

I like to work focused on just one piece per practice. If the practice was lousy, I repeat it the next day before moving on to another work.

Sometimes when my brain is completely shutting down, I just play stuff I've committed to memory so I can hear something in a finished and polished state.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
#1040459 03/04/05 03:58 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Plays,

Your practice sounds *exacly* like mine, down to and including that pacing. I do a lot of that. Course, I'm smoking a half a cigarette while I'm doing it. :p :t:

I think I had a brain malfunction night before last. Yesterday I planned to just enjoy playing all my polished stuff to evaluate the freshly-tuned piano. And I forgot--as in totally blanked--things I've played without the sheets a thousand times and which I can play confidently and expressively even while thinking about other things. That has never happened to me before. I swear I blanked on every single thing without exception, a few measures in. I tried to find what was next and wasn't even close. So today I had to run through all my standard repertoire, with the sheets a couple of times and then a couple of times without, and then had to drill repeatedly on those section where I was drawing blanks yesterday. Those points were the same every time, like a scratch in an LP.

I *hate* getting old. frown

#1040460 03/04/05 04:34 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I keep telling you we must be related. And I'd be smoking while pacing too, except I quit six years ago. :p

I've also experienced the blankouts as you described. I believe you are the age I was when it started happening. I blame it on dwindling hormones, so what's your excuse? laugh And by the way, don't worry about it. The blank spots will come back, and even if they don't you can patch it with the score. Muscle memory is very fragile, unfortunately.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
#1040461 03/04/05 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ragtimebg:
Hmmm.... I do things a little different. I see the piano and think "that looks like fun". I sit down and think of a tune I like. I play it badly. My dogs come running and bark at me until I play one of two rags by Charles Hunter. They howl during the playing in a comical manner. I get them a treat for being cute. Then I go back and play anything I think of until my back starts to hurt and I go upstairs and watch tv.
Interesting. Did you have a teacher help you come up with routine, or did you research it on your own?

Doug

"The secret to staying calm in a crisis is not having all the facts."
#1040462 03/04/05 10:31 PM
I am still in method books - I have a little book that my teacher writes in every week on the new pieces and things that I am supposed to work on. I have a stop watch and trigger the clock when I start to play and turn it off when i get up to do something. I will run through the pieces in the book that I am supposed to know (sometimes they are great, and sometimes....not so great); then I go to work on the new stuff. the stop watch was my husband's idea, when i told him i wanted to practice 10 hours a week. I work on a piece for aboout 10 minutes, then give my brain something new by playing something memorized, and a couple scales, then move into the next piece.

#1040463 03/05/05 01:49 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Cathy commented that she intends to do a warmup exercise but often forgets. That reminded me of the only practice habit that I think has been the same since the very first time I started playing.

At the end of each practice session, I always put my music sheets and books in a pile, and in order. Exercises on top, pieces in-progress in the middle and "finished" pieces on the bottom. (ok, well, when I first started, there weren't any finished pieces) That way, the next time I sit down to play, the first thing I touch are the exercise books. This way I always remind myself to start practice with the warmups.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission