2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (David B, Beansparrow, Emily2Lame, CraiginNZ, DPAfficionado, Eduardo82, chen, Calavera, 5 invisible), 427 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally posted by liszt's pinky:
He started quite young (barely 4) so I had (have) to sit down and do his lessons with him. I realized that I REALLY enjoyed helping him and learning along the way. His teacher is a wonderful, patient woman so I started lessons too. It's a musical journey both my little boy and I are on together and it is wonderful.
That sounds great, but try not to get too frustrated when your son inevitably leaves you far behind in his wake as far musical talent is concerned. Kids have this irritating habit of picking up skills rather quickly and leaving those of us whose brains have stopped constantly re-wiring itself (or even started deteriorating perhaps) feeling somewhat inept.

Its like when I was learning to surf a few years ago....all of the 6 year olds learning at the same time made it seem so easy! Although I suppose you don't see many 6 year olds that are 6'2 tall, so I didn't feel quite so bad that I couldn't pick it up as quickly as them! :p

"All my life I've had one dream: to achieve my many goals." - Homer Simpson
[Linked Image]
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/MastahUK
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
K
Hmmm. So much context. Great question.

I've always loved music. Loved singing in the shower or the car...

Taught myself bass guitar in high school, eventually acoustic guitar, and more singing.

Learned some hand percussion, drums etc.

I've wanted to learn to read music for many years, and bought a couple keyboards with that intention, but never got off the ground

Then, realizing as I said in another thread that I was in fact no longer getting younger, I decided to try to get down to business. I largely saw piano/keyboards as a means to learn to read music, though I've always loved listening to piano music (though I'm not all that well-versed in it)

When I actually started trying to play, I realized that I have a lot of resistance to learning to read (I have some fears that I can't -- dyslexia type struggles...) but realized that I was looking at things very one-dimensionally, and that being flexible to a bigger vision of my musical development through the piano, would probably bring many benefits, beyond and perhaps not including my original intention. That said, I am still intending to learn to read, but it is no longer the central focus.

Keith

art is why i get up in the morning
but my definition ends there
it doesn't seem fair
that i'm living for something
i can't even define
ani difranco
K
K
Oh, one other little bit on the reading/playing thing.

After I started trying more earnestly, I realized that it wasn't certain I would be able to read at the level I would like to.

But I also discovered that I might still be able to play most of the music I'd really like to play. Even music I would barely have hoped to be able to play.... It's funny how these perceptions change over time...

Keith

art is why i get up in the morning
but my definition ends there
it doesn't seem fair
that i'm living for something
i can't even define
ani difranco
I started at age 8 because my sis, age 7, wanted to and our parents decided the investment provided better returns if both of us took lessons. Not a great reason for starting!

I got bored with the kiddy tunes and the fact that our dad used to take forever to pick us up from the piano teacher's home, in effect using her like a kind of babysitter. It meant a whole Saturday afternoon blown basically doing nothing. So my first experience with the piano was not pleasant. I did not enjoy it at all. Especially when my parents - mum particularly - would yell at me and force me to practice. They had to get their money's worth, I guess!

But I did like music - by the time I was 5, I loved 1950s rock n roll. I tried lots of instruments - sax, drums, guitar, violin - and had great fun on all, but something was missing.

I was drawn back to the piano thanks to Bruce Springsteen's live recording of Thunder Road which I heard in 1985. Probably not the typical reason for a start - my friends call me a Philistine when I tell them that. I began to listen more carefully to piano music after that.

I tried some pop piano lessons in 1997, but that was learning without any real depth. In 2002, I decided to do it properly and got myself a real piano. But I had to stop a couple of years later as I was too busy with work to practice properly. I sold the piano to a good friend.

Now, I have found a job that will give me time to practice, found a home where my piano can have its own room, earned the money to pay for another piano.

Someday, I hope that I will be able to sit at the piano keyboard and play - just to hear the music, to express whatever I am feeling at the moment, to take refuge in my secret garden of music.

Better late than never.
N
N
I had lessons as a child, and enjoyed playing piano for many years. Then I just lost the urge to play and couldn't make myself sit down to play my old Barker Brothers piano that had been my grandmas. I hadn't touched the piano for probably 10 years. Many times I thought of just getting rid of the dust catcher! My husband finally got me to visit a piano store last June, and as I sat down and played many kinds of pianos, I just fell head over heels in love with the idea of buying a new one. I left the store knowing I was going to buy a piano very soon. Two weeks later I bought my Schimmel, and am still in love with my beautiful piano. I think I had stopped playing because my old piano just didn't sound good to me anymore. Now I can hardly think of anything but sitting down and playing, buying more music, etc. Piano is my passion!

L
L
Originally posted by RobM:
Originally posted by liszt's pinky:
[b]He started quite young (barely 4) so I had (have) to sit down and do his lessons with him. I realized that I REALLY enjoyed helping him and learning along the way. His teacher is a wonderful, patient woman so I started lessons too. It's a musical journey both my little boy and I are on together and it is wonderful.
That sounds great, but try not to get too frustrated when your son inevitably leaves you far behind in his wake as far musical talent is concerned. Kids have this irritating habit of picking up skills rather quickly and leaving those of us whose brains have stopped constantly re-wiring itself (or even started deteriorating perhaps) feeling somewhat inept.

Its like when I was learning to surf a few years ago....all of the 6 year olds learning at the same time made it seem so easy! Although I suppose you don't see many 6 year olds that are 6'2 tall, so I didn't feel quite so bad that I couldn't pick it up as quickly as them! :p [/b]
I already see this!! You are spot on! He usually practices about 30 minutes a day. I go two hours at least , and he blows through his assignments like cake.

We saw a couple of high school girls perform a duet called "Spanish Tornados". I bought the sheetmusic and someday I hope he and I can sit down and play it together ( me having the easier piece, naturally)

M
M
I restarted because...
-I could finally afford a decent piano.
-I moved to an apt/condo NOT made of paper walls
-I teach and it always bugged me to be telling my students how much to practice when I wasn't playing/practicing myself =).
-I realized how much time my games/MMOs were sucking from my life with no tangible results. Might as well invest my time to make beautiful music, but I just ordered a game console... When is Piano Hero coming out? They should make it so you can upload you own music scores...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always want to play for as long as I can remember, but growing my parents could not afford lessons let alone a piano. When I was a teenager, I fell into the “wanna be a rock star” category so I started guitar lessons, but I still wanted to learn piano. A couple a years ago, at age 37, I finally got around to it. I just wish I would have started earlier.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, here is the factory authorized super-hunky story.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/1433.html#000000

I re-started playing the piano because my future wife (getting married in november 08) ask me to play a piece for her as a gift in the wedding day. So I decided to study Liebestraum, because when Liszt wrote it, he was thinking of Pure Love (you can see the story in Wikipedia ). I tried to re-stard piano years before this, but believe me, I've never had so much motivation to continue playing than now!!
I started studying it in Dec 07, right now, I know about 80% of it. Will start my piano classes this saturday!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always wanted to play, as a child. I never did.

I continued to want to play, as a young adult. I started, but soon had to quit soon after, due to heavy career demands at the time.

As an older adult, I still wanted to play. Realizing I've now have more years behind me than I do ahead, I decided now is the time.

Carpe Diem.

I started with electric bass at the age of 57 after seeing an older friend go completely nuts and pick up several instruments and dive in. I figgered I could do the same. After 2.5 years of playing blues bass by ear, I realized that I needed to learn some music theory to become a better bassist.

About 5 months ago I bought a cheap digital keyboard, which led me to the really cool voice called, "jazz drawbar organ." I did some investigation and before I knew what was happening, I had a 1961 Hammond organ...for the king's ransom of $50. It didn't run too well at first, so I had to do a bit of repair. It sings like a bird now and I'm enjoying learning all the interesting things a tonewheel organ can do.

And it HAS helped me become a better bassist. My sons and I were able to jam a bit before #2 son left for an opera gig (can you use opera and gig in the same sentence?) and now I'm working with #1 son on a piece where he can play flute and I can play bass or organ.

What a wonderful journey this has been so far. And I feel like it's only just started. The music that was inside me for so long now has an outlet and it's (to me) unbelievably rewarding.

I have no desire to become a classical pianist. I love playing blues. So that's what I play. But it's now getting into some real strange (for me) areas like Dorian mode and other uncharted waters. But that's the fun of it. I learn stuff every day. How cool is that?

RatMan
1961 Hammond M-101, Casio Digital kb, a coupla basses and some other stuff.
Canon 40D and a half-full camera bag.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com
We bought a piano when our daughters were quite young to eventually start lessons on. I didn't think it was fair to make them play an instrument if I didn't play one myself. I wanted them to think that music is something you can enjoy your whole life. It seems to have been a good decision since I am loving the piano, my older daughter dropped piano but loves her flute and singing in her school choir, while my youngest puts us to shame with piano, clarinet and choir.

Ted

I played for a few years until I was about 14 at which point I stopped piano ( despite my mum's protestations) and moved on to a fairly mindless but thoroughly enjoyable journey through rock/pop on a variety of synthesizers.

Fast forward to 4 years ago, all synths sold bar one. I found I was listening to more and more classical piano on my iPod. My Dad had been a very good amateur concert pianist so I was very familiar with a broad range of pieces.

By chance I found a free sheet music download site and downloaded the first page or two of both Chopin Fantasie Impromptu and Etude No.12 Op.10. Both way out of my league but two of my favourites of all time. I found that I really loved trying to play these classics however badly I played them.

I gave myself a test that if I carried on "practicing" for 6 months I would get myself a fully weighted keyboard. As opposed to the 14 year who gave up piano I found I now really enjoyed practicing. The last 3 years have seen me slowly work out what I should and shouldn't be attempting.

Sadly my Dad died in 2002. I would love him to be around today to talk about music and play music. I think he might have been slightly frustrated by my technical struggles but I'm sure it would have been a wonderful addition to our relationship.

Chris

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I always wanted to learn but it wasn't an option when I was a child. Then for a long time after I was in control of my own destiny adequate space/money/time failed to coincide, and I used to think I'd learn when I retired. A couple of years ago I was at a concert listening to the second Brahms concerto and thinking as I always did at concerts where someone was playing piano that I'd like to learn to play one day. Things were not good at the time. My husband was sick, we were having trouble with a psychotic co-worker in the office, and I was beginning to realize the arthritis that had been lurking in my fifth fingers for over 20 years was finally making its move and starting to affect the other fingers as well. So I decided that no, darn it, I wasn't going to wait until I retired to learn piano. I've never looked back.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I took lessons from the age of 6 to 13. At that point the piano teacher told me I needed to make a choice. She said she had taken me as far as she could. If I was interested in a career in piano which she believed was doable, then I should seek a teacher who could help me in the more advanced levels. I really wasn't interested, and stopped lessons. I also pretty much stopped playing at that point. Then I took guitar lessons for a couple of years.

Fast forward to college. I decided I wanted to learn trumpet. I was not a music major, but the head of the music department allowed me to take trumpet instruction just for fun. I took trumpet for 3 semesters. Although I had never played that instrument before, I was told that I was playing on a "college level." Of course, I eventually lost interest in the trumpet. The thing is just so doggone loud. The third semester that I was enrolled in trumpet instruction I decided to restart piano, and signed up for piano instruction. I took piano for two semesters in college, then more or less quit again.

I restarted again after my Mom passed away and I inherited the piano I had learned on as a youngster. I had it repaired since it had been neglected for many years, and started trying to relearn. I found that I could not come close to playing the pieces I once played with ease. I still can't, but I think I'm slowly getting closer. I would definitely benefit from a teacher, but I work a varying schedule, and would not be able to commit to a regular weekly lesson time.

I soon realized that my 40 year old Baldwin Acrosonic wasn't really a very good piano. The action was very light and the tone was quite harsh, so I went piano shopping. I thought I would buy a newer and better upright, but after some searching I wound up with a Kawai GE-30 which I love. Sheesh, this post has become too long and rambling, so here's the end of it. laugh

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

T
T
Originally posted by miaeih:
I restarted because...
-I could finally afford a decent piano.
-I moved to an apt/condo NOT made of paper walls
-I teach and it always bugged me to be telling my students how much to practice when I wasn't playing/practicing myself =).
-I realized how much time my games/MMOs were sucking from my life with no tangible results. Might as well invest my time to make beautiful music, but I just ordered a game console... When is Piano Hero coming out? They should make it so you can upload you own music scores...
Check this out. They originally called it Piano Hero but got threatened with legal action so changed it's name to
Synthesia Game and you can upload your favourite scores via midi files too.

"Persevere,
do not only practice your art,
but endeavor also to fathom it's inner meaning;
it deserves this effort."

Ludwig van Beethoven 1770-1827

Piano: Yamaha U3E
Quite simple, really. My whole life I have listened to music and wished I could play the piano. Just after my 50th birthday, I realized that I probably could play the piano and it was pretty much now or never.

B
B
When I was a child, I took 2 years of solfege but my parents never let me take lessons on any instrument despite all my insistence. They liked music but not the process involved in daily practice. "Too much annoying noise" Yes... as if the hability to play just could grow spontaneously on the chosen ones.

Years went by and the thought of taking lessons never crossed my mind again. I've never stopped loving music and it hasn't been a single day without music in my home, but for some (wrong) reason always believed that if you want to learn to play an instrument, you must start during your childhood. If not, you're not in time anymore.

But one lucky day I was surfing the web looking for some macro lenses for my photo camera and -don't ask me how or why- I landed here on the ABF. Out of curiosity I read some of the topics, and knew about people who had started their music adventures late in life and were enjoying it while making good progress. That opened a complete new door for me! If they can do it... might I too? why not?
It was June 2007.
By the end of July 2007 I got my Yamaha P-140. Started lessons on September 2007.
And now, May 2008, I still don't have my macro lense.... I'm too busy practicing études.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have always sort of wanted to play, but the opportunity never arose. Then my daughter began lessons back in January, and I couldn't help myself. I played along with her, and eventually picked up my own method books.

From my end, it doesn't feel so much like I chose to pick up the piano. I don't remember having any say in the matter actually. The piano chose me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
New iOS app Pure Piano
by Jonky Ponky - 04/19/21 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,404
Posts3,084,304
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission