2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
I
Well I think that is quite a nice resolution. Hopefully it will hold what it promisses.

Can you tell me which dealer in Switzerland this is?

Hamburg Steinway B
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I don't think it is appropriate for me to disclose dealer details with people I do not know personally, and especially on an open forum, as I do not want to create an issue of one person saying that a sale has been taken away from another. I do hope you understand.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The result is that you have a nice Hamburg Steinway D that has one year of breaking in already, AND another piano besides! Sounds like the group 'did good'!

Just curious, in donating $$$ did they know how much a new top concert grand would cost and they matched that amount, or was just a certain round figure given and it happen to work out?

Hope you feel better AJ.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
There are two things in the universe which are made in very strange ways: sausages and decisions by committee...

It is a balancing act in a charitable organization to respect the closely held values of individuals and at the same time uphold the greater cause. A positive outcome always depends on a lot of goodwill all around. While the personal grievances of previous generations are hard for us to relate to, it sounds like the overall result in your case was very good indeed, and no relationships were harmed in coming to this conclusion! Congrats laugh

AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Lilylady - They donated £100,000, which was also intended to provide a maintenance annuity fund and included the purchase of a few other small instruments that were needed. Since the donation, the fund has grown to £111,000 because this process has already had one false start (before my time).

Birchy - I am used to board room decisions, which is a bit like a committee of this kind I suppose, but with perhaps more commonality of view and purpose. The problem we have had in the past is that there is no CEO as such so deadlock can occur. The chairperson role carries with it no power as it moves automatically every year. This changed recently by making the Treasurer a professional appointment with a right of veto over investment and expenditure proposals. That is not ideal either as it is only negative power so instead of breaking deadlock it can perpetuate it. I have never come across that before. It was nevertheless an interesting experience.

Kind regards

Adrian

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, sounds like a very good outcome. I applaud your committee for honoring the wishes of the donor, as expressed by his family, even though you were not legally obligated to do so. To do otherwise would not only have been unfair to the family but possibly had a chilling effect on potential future bequests to the organization.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Understandable decision. You will have a superb instrument that satisfies everybody on musical and other grounds. This takes nothing away from the musical merits of a modern Yamaha.

Fazioli 228.
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I agree Monica and Numerian.

In some ways this was a relief for the Committee as the decision could be made for pragmatic reasons not associated with anyone's personal preferences.

I have written positive things in the past about the CFIIIS and a smaller Yamaha that I played a lot at a school. I think they make some good pianos.

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
While I do not know the exchange rate it certainly sounds like a substantial savings. What luck to get such a deal. I cant imagine this nearly new D is anything but spectacular.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Top tier world class instrument. Great resolution to the delema for all concerned. Good Steinway experienced tech on hand and an annuity in place for ongoing service. Who could ask for more.

Just one detail in your commentary that I wanted to comment on. The manufacturer's warranty on new Steinways is not transferrable. Your organization will be bare on any "warranty" issues. This likely will not be an issue, but should be noted.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
We were told that S&S Hamburg warranties are transferred within a given period. However, I will check this

As regards exchange rates, the pound is a bit weaker against the Euro than it was, but it has not suffered the same weakness as the dollar. In the time-span of this transaction it is not a factor.

I have no idea whether the piano is spectacular or not, I suspect it is a typical but not stellar D. The dealers still say that although Hanburg concert grands are more consistent than the New York ones, the best ones still do not go to private buyers. I am not sure that either I or anyone involved is familiar enough or has a good enough ear or touch to tell the difference between a top class D and an OK one. I am sure it will be OK. Anyway it is over now. Such is life.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Adrian - it's not "over" until you post pics! laugh thumb

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Also not over till we get a report on the D when it arrives and gets played.

AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Fair enough. We are some weeks away from pics and a player report though. Removal, packing, shipping, customs clearance, delivery, settling in for a week or so, then first tuning and prep. I am expecting it to take six weeks before we have something that can be played.

A

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
1000 Post Club Member
R
It's interesting that they hate Japan because of activities during WWII but Germany is OK? Hmmm

I guess it was the personal nature of the experience with Japan, others might feel differently but they're financing a major purchase.

Actually I believe at the level that both of those and other concert grands are, it is strictly a matter of taste or prejudices rather than absolute characteristics of any sort.

They are both wonderful pianos.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I agree that there is a degree of illogicality in differentiating between Japan (personal incarceration) and Germany (WWII enemy). It was 63 years ago, long before I was born, and the world has moved on to a huge extent. But when people bequeath money, it is not unreasonable to respect their views as expressed by their children.

I happen to have a German girlfriend and I know Germany very well. Oddly enough, the English / British of my parents and grandparents generation are far more attuned to and tolerant of Germanic views than Japanese ones. Perhaps it is simply a European perspective and cultural similarity.

It has no real place in piano purchasing decisions.

I think it is a shame that we see so few American pianos in Europe. I have never seen a Mason & Hamlin in Europe, for example. NY Steinways are few and far between, and those we do see are usually ancient.

P
P
"It's interesting that they hate Japan because of activities during WWII but Germany is OK? Hmmm"

Yes, that is ironic. To read the London tabloids, you'd think the war with Germany was still on. But I guess a Steinway, even one made in Hamburg, is really an American piano. smile

AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
In fact, the London tabloids do not make anti German references very often these days, except perhaps on the rare occasions when an English team plays a German one at football (soccer). Football seems to bring out the worst in many people.

Interestingly, if you were to ask a sample of people whether Steinway is an American or a German piano, I would be willing to bet that the vast majority would say German.

There are very few NY Steinways over here. They are regarded as Hamburg, Germany instrument. Even though I am aware that there is US ownership, even I think of them as a German instrument.

In reality it does not matter at all.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Adrian:
Even though I am aware that there is US ownership, even I think of them as a German instrument.

Lucky they didn't have to consider one of those Japanese Bösendorfers smile

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
From AJB,

I think it is a shame that we see so few American pianos in Europe. I have never seen a Mason & Hamlin in Europe
What true American piano manufactures might we expect to see in Europe apart from Steinway NY, Baldwin and Mason and Hamlin?

If e.g. Baldwin and M&H are not export driven, who is there to blaim.

I know though of one M&H dealer in Europe (Paris, France):
http://www.magne.fr/index1.html

schwammerl.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission