2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear Fellow Members... Enjoying reading the posts and I always learn from other pianist... I am a senior citizen returning to classical piano... input anyone... ideas? Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
Have fun, play what you want, and be patient.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Sandy B., welcome to the forum!

I tend to think that people mainly interested in classical works do best with a teacher. Do you have a teacher or were you planning on getting one?

You mention you are returning to the piano. How advanced were you when you stopped? (That would affect my advice as to whether you need a teacher or could self-teach.)

Last bit of advice: Don't be bashful about posting questions. I never fail to be amazed at how much the people here know and how helpful they are.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i agree, just have fun! what pieces you'd like to play? if you can read music, try to sight read through some small, short or easy pieces to get you started.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Welcome Sandy - Were you a "serious" student in your past? Well, the good news for us "seniors" is we can learn/play/do what we want. Since most of us are here for the fun and pure joy of playing (Super-Hunky gives some very good reasons to do it for the fun of it in his newest thread), I suggest you decide to have fun, expect to have things take more time (which is a good thing, as it provides just that much more fun...)and log on once in a while to share/laugh/learn.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sandy B here...I am the young senior citizen wanting to return to classical piano after many years away... Thank all of you for you suggestions...Most appreciated...The moral support is what I needed ... your input...Here is my classical background...I was a very late bloomer... I studied beginning at 23 years old , I was a private student in the music dept., Fox Croft School in Midddleburg Va. with the on staff piano teacher with her master's in Music Education...Once a week for 9 months of the year...After appx 6 years she left town and another teacher with her Master's in Music Education took me as her student...She asked me to teach for her as an understudy...I continued my classical studies with her at that time too...I did teach the students she assigned to me... Up to intermediate classical piano...Then after appx. 7 years total... both teachers... I stopped lessons...Then I went back to study how to improv for appx. a year... many years later... With an excellent teacher who knew enough theory to teach me this and he also taught to concert level piano...I have continued to play piano through the years...i regret I gave up classical piano and just played popular piano...Now I am retired I want to go back to classical piano... So far what works is the play a long concept...CD and music book... on the CD is a Concert level pianist with violins as background etc. ... I read the music and play along with them... Open to all ideas... I have friends who appreciate classical piano...Worth the long journey to return to classical piano to me... Thank all of you so very much again...Sandy B

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hi Sandra B. Welcome. You have a most impressive background, and I don't believe that the journey back to classical playing will be a long one for you. Obviously you read music well, and certainly know your way around the keyboard. I am sure that you will be able to give good advice to many of us who are not nearly as advanced as you are. Being able to keep up with the piano part of the CD is a great accomplishment in itself.
What are you playing now? And what would you like to be playing? How about resurecting the classical pieces you used to play and takeing it from there? Gaby Tu

193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear Gaby Tu...Just started back to classical very recently and now I am working from a wonderful book...Very easy for the average music reader... from the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course...Called Adult All-In -One Course.. Lesson and Theory....the 2nd book of this series...with CD ...I decided to start very low level and work up again...The book and Cd iare expensive... $25.00... "Variations On The Theme From The Celebrated Canon in D"...Pachelbel... also...
"Memory" from Cats... Andrew Lloyd Webber...When it changes into those 6 flats ...mean to play...Chuckles...This one for fun and good for technique...with CD too... From the Hal Leonard Series books ...The best series I have found for play along... all are $12.99 with CD and excellent....Intermediate level ...so much fun to play along with these... I feel I have joined a band...Sandy B..

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
You are off to a great start. Those series sound excellent. I know what you mean about the 6 flats. Several of us are working on the Schubert Impromptu in Gb and I finally figured out to flat everything except F. Good thing is that now a key with only 4 or 5 flats seems easy.

It is good that the books cover theory, as you will find that invaluable as you progress. Keep us posted. Gaby Tu

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission