2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Q: What's the difference between a Samick and Kansas City?

A: Freight trains slow down when they roll through Kansas City.

Don
Kansas City

Q. What's the difference between a coffin and a Samick?

A. With the coffin, the dead person is on the inside.

Hey come on Samicks aren't that bad!!!!I played on one once in a store and it wasn't that bad laugh I used to play on a very old Estey upright console for years! Now that piano was bad, When I lived in the Keys I had to have 10 of the strings replaced because they just broke without warning, the only explanantion the tuner could give me is well this what you have to expect with a 3rd rated piano that is 25 years and after all it is an Estey..........sorry I don't have better news for you

Seriously, whenever I play the song Candle in the Wind by ELton John I always cry frown it makes me think of my mom who died of breast cancer when she was only 42 years old. I was 16 at the time. So whenever I think about her I like to play Candle in the WInd by Elton John.

D
D
Originally posted by eromlignod:
Yes, but only when I play on a Samick.

Don
Kansas City
LOL !

To answer the question I don't recall ever crying while playing, be it of joy, pain or sadness. Hearing my sustain pedal squeaking everytime I press it almost makes me cry though, but I'm getting used to it help

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For me crying isn't an issue, what is an issue is nodding off when playing. This has happened as well with my guitar work...not quite fall asleep but the music lulls you into some fugue state and you lose track of the technical aspect.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
what music is it you're playing that's making you cry?.

please don't make statements like that and not give us that info. that's like saying "oh oh i'm eating the best ice cream ever made" and not give us the flavor or brand laugh

ps im about to cry because i want to knowwwww. he he

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I've been chocked up many time by beautiful emotional music. A maching band playing a Sousa March, a full orchestra, pianos and choirs playing Carmina Burana gets me every time.

Anyway, I have a cousin with a Samic World piano that is the equal of almost any piano I've ever played. Funny jokes but I would probably substitute some other well known brands.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I usually don't cry when I play. I sometimes sweat when I'm playing something extreme, but I'm not the most emotional of pianists.

BTW, I almost cried just reading this thread, quite funny, the whole Samick bit.

Dakota

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It depends on the music for me, particularly if a particular piece (or song) touches your heart very deeply... I started learning to play after seeing Scott Houston's "Play piano in a flash" shows on PBS. I watched, but I did not think his videos would make a difference. Then December 31, 2006. I was at a retreat house for New Years. When 12 midnight came, everyone shouted "Happy New Year" and I started playing "Auld Lang Syne" on the piano. After I retired for the night, I thought "Mamma Mia! I played the piano!!!" I started to cry... I do not doubt Scott anymore! The next morning, I played a little more and cried while playing. I recently played theme from Romeo and Juliet! and I am trying to play "Crying in the Rain" by the Everley Bros. (made famous by A-ha). Wow! I am happy I played... will take lessons soon...

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
hotkeys, that has got to be one of the most inspirational and touching stories i have ever heard!!!! are you playing totally by ear now or doing both ear and reading? what an inspiration you are. i would love to hear you play, i think you are a natural!!!

ps what a Beautiful way to start the New Year!!!

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
R
R
I did while playing song the World Trade Center theme song from the World Trade Center Movie. Its by Craig Armstrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTWAYjGg-EQ

PS: Not me playing but a good video.

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
That song would make anyone cry...how beautiful, moving and so haunting. May we forever be haunted by that day.

Thank you for sharing this,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Nope, never cried while I was playing, but was really on the verge of tears when I played back my recording of what I had played.

No, no, no. How could I have done that. It's awful. That piece drags, where it should be spritely, and accelerates in all the wrong places. And those wrong notes. How did they get in there.

It is tempting to blame it on my zoom H4, for being so brutally honest about what it hears.

One could make a fortune if they developed a recorder that automatically edited out all the errors, and replaced them with the correct notes, and revised the tempo where necessary. I would be first on line to buy one.

Well, I don't cry while playing, but sure have to stiffle back the sobs when I hear the recording. Gaby Tu

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
funburger,

This is a paraphrase of a post I entered back in late December in the "Any hopeless romantics out there" thread. I'm still learning the mentioned song and hope to have it memorized and recorded within a couple of months.

Originally posted by Lisztener:
I'm a sucker for the type of music that draws upon my emotions whether classical, pop or new age. If it has a haunting melody, it affects me. I'm probably older than most other posters in this thread and I believe my age is a factor in my preference for the pop standards.

My new piano teacher assigned Beethoven's "Pathetique" sonata for me to learn all three movements and I agreed because of the beauty of the second movement. Well, over Christmas week I sorted through the sheets in my piano bench and came across some songs from my past that made me reconsider the Beethoven sonata. Truthfully, I'm not "in love" with the music of the first and third movements. They have no emotional pull for me. Much classical piano music that must be included in the repertoire of top virtuosos seems to me to serve the purpose of showcasing technical skills as opposed to evoking beauty. There are many classical piano pieces that I truly dislike for the same reasons that I dislike most opera music...sometimes they both sound like non-melodic noise.

After the Christmas break when I go back to my teacher, she's in for a surprise. I've picked up some songbooks that have classic pop solos from the thirties and forties. The piece that I have chosen to learn is a difficult version of "I'll Be Seeing You" that just so happens to be the favorite song of my dearly departed sister. It makes me weep to hear it, talk about it, and learn it, but its beauty has caused me to become obsessed with it. My sister sang this song around the house when I was a boy. She whistled it when she sat in her favorite rocker. She was a beautiful, upbeat woman with a romantic heart. Unfortunately, she died at the age of fifty-five from complications of rheumatic heart disease. She was living in Florida at the time of her death. I spoke with her on the phone shortly before the end. Her voice was weak and we both knew the end was near. At the end of our conversation, she didn't say goodbye. She gave me her standard, I'll be seeing you. After speaking with her, I wept from the depths of my being. Within two weeks, I helped my brothers put our only sister in the ground. Audrey is her name and once I learn it I'll post it as "Audrey's song".

I'm happy to have introduced you all to a gentle soul who will be in my heart until I see her in a new cafe or a new park across the way.

I'll be seeing you, and,

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Seriously,

Most definately. If the song is beautiful and the piano 'just right', I get overwhelmed that I am making beautiful music.

It has also happened while performing for a church wedding of a relative or even a Christmas or Easter Service.

I can hardly read the notes.

LL, who sometimes emotes.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gabytu, ROTFL, that is just much too funny. well, you could always hire a pro editor, then you can brag about your great new recording system, and how your old one was all messed up wink

Lisztener, your story brought tears to my eyes. sorry about your sister. frown
i want to hear that when you are finished with it, as i know it will be ever so beautiful. thumb

lilylady, thank-you for sharing, and for your honesty. i am sure all of your music is beautiful!!! thumb

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I sang "Everything I Own" by Bread (under my breath) to my Dad at his funeral -1976- every time I play it I tear up...association is the key... even now

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
Yes, funburger.
It just shows you put all your heart into playing. You have a chance of becoming a better piano player than 99.99% of the people out there banging on keys.

RonP
Beware of kisses from Pit Bulls... They might have the flu.
Hotkeys, I just saw your post and you just made me cry! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post, and how unbelievably happy I am that you sat down and DID IT. Yeah!!!!

The fact that my show had anything to do with it just put a smile on my face for the rest of the week. laugh

My personal tear jerker tune is a beautiful ballad called "I Remember Clifford" which Benny Golson wrote as a tribute to Clifford Brown after his death. Knowing that "back story" while playing the tune slowly and emotionally gets me teared up every time.

If some of you guys/gals haven't learned this tune yet, I'd encourage you to find a lead sheet and give it a try. It's gorgeous...

If anyone wants to, we ought to start a thread to work through the tune! I'd be happy to answer any questions or give any advice (taken at your own risk...) and help any/all get the tune under hand.

Host and Co-Executive Producer of the 7 time Emmy award winning public television series: The Piano Guy
www.scotthouston.com www.playpianoinaflash.com
Hopefully this is not considered too late to respond to this thread (less than a month okay?). I've choked up pretty much every time I play a Gershwin ballad called Soon. Our new piano is a Kohler & Campbell Millenium. It's a Samick but, according to Larry Fine, boasts top of the line materials and workmanship. So I KNOW you all aren't talking about MY piano!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission