2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aw... don't be intimidated, Monica. Just do what you do and do it well! do-be-do-be-do..... smile

Compassion, Love, Strength, Peace, Dignity, Balance, Order
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yay, Monica! You go, girl!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Go for it !!!!!!

Nobody in the lobby is going to be making a comparison.

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
I was a nervous wreck, but I started with "The Gift," which I figured I knew backwards and forwards, and how could I possibly mess it up? Well, I will tell you how I could mess it up: On the third bar I hit the entirely wrong notes. So I started over. And then later on I skipped an entire part. But after playing the first piece, my nerves settled down a bit and I was able to play two more pieces ("Home" and "Nefeli") without noticeable errors.

All in all, I was pleased to break an important psychological barrier. And I hope I will find it easier and easier to sit down and play wherever I go. smile
Don't you know they move the keys around on different pianos? Seems like it, doesn't it?

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
S
S
Good job, Monica! I am impressed with your overcoming your nerves to do it. I had an opportunity like that recently, and I completely chickened out. :rolleyes:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Monica, this act of bravery must be acknowledged. Congratulations - major, big time. It's a great feeling! I hope it happens again! laugh

G
G
I've always wanted to play a lobby piano, but they're always locked when I'm around mad

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by geek in the pink:
I've always wanted to play a lobby piano, but they're always locked when I'm around mad
The last time me and the Mr. went away on a mini vaca, the pianos were locked. Ick! I hope this time they'll be opened. You gotta be lucky!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A locked piano is like a locked cathedral. Both are sad and quite lonely.

Compassion, Love, Strength, Peace, Dignity, Balance, Order
Just don't let youself be bothered with young girls, kids etc. Do it again. I happened to come across two piano players in the last two days, one in a hotel lobby (coincidence) and one at the airport. Both just plinkered their cocktail/bar stuff happily away, made a ton of mistakes, ignored them and everybody else around ignored it, too. And you, for sure, play much much much much better. Nerves is something else, I started shaking all over my entire body at my first and only recital (and it will be the only one) but in hotels I sometimes found semideserted rooms with only the waiters around were it was clear that I wanted to play just for myself, that was ok. You're a wonderfull player, I think.

Patty

In love with life
P
P
Yep - you've really done it now girl! Next thing you know, you'll be makin up promo-packages, demo CDs, song lists, collecting phone numbers of booking agents, hanging out with saxophone players, going on auditions, getting phone calls from people you never heard of wanting to know if you're open for an office Christmas party, choosing one hotel over another because they have a better piano, rearranging your vacation schedule so you can fit in a great last-minute gig, buying a larger car because you can't fit your new keyboard and amp in the old one, buying a special wardrobe for gigs only, depreciating your musical instruments on tour tax returns - And its all because you just had to go and play that piano - in public - for people that don't even know you. Kind a like the musical equivlant of the movie The Up-Side of Anger. - I'm sure you realize I'm joking with you - But I am glad you enjoyed the experience.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by teachum:
[QUOTE]Don't you know they move the keys around on different pianos? Seems like it, doesn't it?
Nevermind different pianos! I swear, sometimes the keys on MINE move around! laugh

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
tm3 Offline
congratulations, monica!

Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:

It gets easier the more you do it...I think this is one of the great benefits of the recital for all of us...recording for that red dot is a very similar pressure to playing for the public.

i think i finally get it! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey Monica that's great! I was at a conference a few weeks ago and was practicing on a piano in the conference room during breaks. There were two - an acoustic and a Clavinove. So here I am plunk plunk on the acoustic, not setting the world on fire by any means. So next break I try the clavinova. Everyone had heard what a beginner I was on the previous break, but I was lucky enough to have an empty room when I started on the Clavinova. So there I am doing the typical beginner stuff and I hear poeple coming. So I hit the 'demo' button and it starts playing perfectly. People come in and look at me funny because now I am sounding like a pro. I let them stare a sec then I put my hands up and say "look ma, no hands!".

And a coin show to boot? Another of my loves! I've been delaying going to any shows or dealers because I promised my wife I'd sell my coins to pay for the new piano!!!

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks to all of y'all's encouragement, I just played it again! And it was even more nerve wracking because it was 8:00 on a Friday night, with lots of people milling about the lobby. But I didn't screw up too badly, and nobody complained...though nobody clapped, either. wink

This was indeed a very gratifying, liberating, and empowering experience and an important psychological barrier crossed for me. And if I can do it, so can all of you. smile

A pox on locked hotel pianos! We should start an underground piano liberation movement and carry lockpicks around with us when we travel. laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by seebechstein:
And to all you managers at Nordstroms... what, are you afraid my repetoire is so deep that I won't be finished by the time that poor chap that you're paying minimum wage to gets back from his break? Who are you kidding!
No, they are afraid you don't know how to "operate" the piano and you would break it laugh

Excellent Monica.
In mho, being able to play for and with others, is important.

A year and a half ago, I had the opportunity to play in the lobby of the Embassy Suites in Atlanta. In fact, I played their grand piano almost every night (during happy hour) for 2 weeks. Since I could only play 2 or 3 of the little pieces from the Alfred's Basic Adult Lesson Book 1, the performances were only a minute long and no one had time to say anything.

After that, I bought a Yamaha digital from the local music store. Part of the purchase agreement was, that I could play the acoustics in the store as often as I wanted. Well, after many visits, the store changed it mind. They were saying and doing things that let me know I was not that welcome. Then, about 2 months ago, the store changed locations in the mall. Now, when someone plays a piano, it is right in front of the people that work there. Consequently, I have not played in the new store, at all!

So, with no store to play in, no trips planned and no one to play with, my motivation is at an all time low. I don't like it.

But, I am very happy for you. It was fabulous that you decided to play in the lobby. I hope you get a lot more opportunities to play in public, I think you play well...

KJ

Good work Monica!

I have had a few experiences playing pianos in public places. The first was a Chickering grand in a hotel lobby (central Mass), and it was not locked. I asked the girl at the desk, and she said they don't usually let people, but I could play until somebody said something. I played the thing all weekend, and nobody complained, and several people stood around and watched and smiled... I play, mostly by ear, some soft rock tunes and a conglommeration of other things that are cool, and I have been 'improvising' off of repeating chord patterns (elementary, but hey, if David Lanz can do it, I should be able to also.)
The second piano I played is my alltime favorite. It is a M&H 7' at Wellesley College chapel in MA. It is not locked...there was nobody around... I just sat down and started playing. Noody came in, I got no trouble. I was there to tune the organ, so I couldn't stay long. The action is so sensitive, and the tone is gourgeous. I was there over a week ago an played it, and I was just finishing a rendition of "Scarborough Fair" when some people walked in. When I finished they clapped, and I blushingly thanked them. I think anything could sound good on that piano.

I did this in a tiny town court I was in to pay the fine for 3 traffic tickets I had gotten. It was during the day so the only people there were 3 or 4 office folks (ladies). The building doubled as a small community theater.

The piano wasn't so great, but I played the first movement of Moonlight Sonata. They were SO IMPRESSED! It was a cool feeling. The lady who I had to give my money to actually knocked the $35 surcharge off of all 3 tickets! We talked about piano and lessons for at least 20 minutes after that. She said she always wanted to play the piano.

The same lady had been rather "frosty" to me over the phone several times before I arrived.

Talk about cool!

Thanks,
Ryan

L
L
Way to go, Monica!

Being constantly on the lookout for my dream grand, I play every piano I can, though usually very unobtrusively and only bits of songs to test the treble, etc. What an accomplishment to perform on the spot, not knowing what reaction there would be. Sniff, sniff...we're so proud.

Lynn

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission