2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
music83 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a Yamaha digital piano I just purchased and it has a metronome button on it. I've never used a metronome.
I can set it to 0, 2, 3, 4, or 6.
If my time signature is 4/4, do I set it to 4? When I set it to 4, the metronome does this: ding, click, click, click, ding, click, click, click, and so on.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If my time signature is 4/4, do I set it to 4? When I set it to 4, the metronome does this: ding, click, click, click, ding, click, click, click, and so on.
That would be correct. 3/4 would be |ding, click, click,| ding, click, click,| etc

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The purpose of the "ding" is to let you know the start of each new measure. I find that less helpful than it sounds initially, though, because it only works if you're playing a piece that doesn't change time signatures.

Here's two pieces of unsolicited advice that would've saved me much frustration and fuming had I known them when I started working with the metronome: (a) Set it for a pace noticeably slower than what you're used to playing the piece at now (it's a lot harder to play to a metronome than it seems); and (b) don't try to play an entire piece from start to finish to the metronome (at least not at the beginning)-- use it instead as a spot-check for tricky passages etc.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I find the ding click to be very helpful.

If you play through a piece, and the ding always lands on beat one, you have probably read the rhythms correctly. (Can't rule out that you've made two errors that cancelled each other out)

On the other hand if at some point the ding lands on beat 2, you have definitely screwed up.

gotta go practice
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
If you really hate the ding, you can can turn it off by using the 0 setting - then you'll just get clicks. But it's usually more helpful to leave it on when you're just starting to work on a new piece.

I second Monica's advice to set the metronome to a much lower speed than you think you need. When I first started using one it made me feel like a complete klutz. But it can be invaluable for helping you to sort out tricky passages.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Donna R:
If you really hate the ding, you can can turn it off by using the 0 setting - then you'll just get clicks.
I didn't know you could do this!! Must go home and try. The ding bugs me because if I miss a beat but want to continue, the ding is in the wrong beat!! Thanks! laugh

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Just a quick thought about metronomes. Although they are a great tool a professional painist does not use one when playing - why?
Its a case of learn the rules then break them. A pro paino player can use a metronome and sometimes in recording studios they use a "click track", but real human music when played by the pros, has a breathing quality, where their are almost imperceptible changes in speed, say for example at the end of a piece where a player might slow down, or when a climax comes he/she might speed up just a little - to add effect. A metronome is a device that can make you a slave and rob the peice of expressiveness.
However, one must be able to identify the beat of a song and when one changes tempo, its done in a controlled way, which is a world of difference to the fumblings of a beginner painist, who might change tempo in an uncontrolled way.
So by all means use the metronome to get your playing so that your fingers are 'doing what they are told to do' but when you have achieved this, turn it off and play the piece using expression, give your timing room to breathe.
Some beginner painists think that playing the peice in absolutely strict time is the way that the pro's play, but this is not the case - their is a 'feel' element which metronome playing can strangle if used too much

Zero

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by I played it better at home:
Originally posted by Donna R:
[b] If you really hate the ding, you can can turn it off by using the 0 setting - then you'll just get clicks.
I didn't know you could do this!! Must go home and try. The ding bugs me because if I miss a beat but want to continue, the ding is in the wrong beat!! Thanks! laugh [/b]
That's why you need it! Don't turn it off until you stop doing that.

gotta go practice
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
ZeroZero wrote:
So by all means use the metronome to get your playing so that your fingers are 'doing what they are told to do' but when you have achieved this, turn it off and play the piece using expression, give your timing room to breathe.
I agree. If I'm playing something that's completely unknown to me I start off with the metronome, because I've got no idea how it's supposed to sound and using the metronome helps me to develop a sense of the rhythm while I'm still fumbling around getting the notes and phrasing right. But I turn it off as soon as I have a good sense of the timing. When I'm learning a piece that's familiar sometimes I don't use the metronome at all, unless I have a passage I'm having trouble with where it helps to slow it right down and use strict time to get it right. But I always use the metronome for sightreading practice. There's something about those clicks that makes me keep my eyes on the page and my brain focused on getting the right finger onto the right note in time for the next one!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission