2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
copper: I hope the Pianist Corner people aren't reading this. I had no idea that Handel wrote "Joy to the World"! eek
The Casio Song Book where I found the music gives the credit solely to Handel.

Here is what an article in wikipedia says:
"The scripture-based words are by Isaac Watts. The music was adapted and arranged by Lowell Mason from an older melody which was then believed to have originated from Handel; not least because the theme of the refrain (And heaven and nature sing...) appears in the orchestra opening and accompaniment of the recitative Comfort Ye from Handel's Messiah, and the first four notes match the beginning of the choruses Lift up your heads and Glory to God from the same oratorio. However, Handel did not compose the entire tune."

Whoever wrote it, I'm sure they are proud that it is in the PWABF recital! smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
P
I don't think I have offered comments before on recitals, don't take the following as the basis for your future musical endeavours!

1) S-H: I've got the DVD, it's my most oftened played CD ipod-album. As much as I love VInce, you really make the song your own, you give it the Lama-touch, it's as brilliant as anything you've done so far, It's the pinnacle peak of S-H!
Sound quality is good enough, a bit soft, more enjoyable than my digital though! Do your fingers practice yoga? They seem to stretch without effort!

2)Mel: 4-5 months well spent! It's witty, playfull, fast and uplifting! Thanks!

3)StephenC: I love what you do to your piano! Must be a happy piano! laugh

4) McClellan: Old music on an old instrument, it's a real journey! Very musical for 9 months worth of lessons (This is NOT feedback, just sharing with fellow forum members how I feel as I listen to it right now smile ).

5) ragnhild: very delicate playing, love the slow and softer bits, they bring a lot of depth.

6) Peyton: It sounds as if you are working with clay: you start with something rough, twist it, and after a while it begins to take shape, and finally turns into something gorgeous! You're a musician, man! (No, I did not say "Ghost")
(I had to look for you in iTunes, when added you showed up with only a track title, no artist, album or genre info. But you were there in the end!)

7) Icekid767: I'm listening on the computer, with my ipod playing the Guaraldi CD version in one ear. I can't say which version I prefer!

8) Piano again: I'm quite ignorant of Bach, but to me it's supposed to sound like there are more hands at work than there really are. If you only have 2 hands you did great.

9) Euan: That must be my favourite Einaudi recording so far, you just keep improving Euan.

10) Nancy: It's only after 10 seconds I realised I was listening to Chopin! Didn't know this Lullaby, it's very nice The sounds take some getting used to, it's just clever!

11) The melody sounds simple, but like all new age it's about what that simplicity can create and evoque, that's where your skills shine!

12) Rockpeter: one of the great things about these recitals is discovering new pieces. Loved this. (How was it on the phone at 1:20? There's a phone ringing for a while. Must be interference as it is a digital???)

13) Monica: whatever you play, your personality shines through, your piano sounds great too, thanks!

More tomorrow, I'm off to massage the feet of the person who is still carrying my/our baby, obviously no baby yet! wink

I'm on a roll!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
...continuing

34. LisztAddict

Ave-Maria...I love this piece and you play it beautifully and your piano sounds really beautiful, your adaptation works for me (I love the part around the 3 minute mark) simply wonderful

35. psychopianoman (Allen Clark)

Wonderful stuff there Allen and in 5 days? impressive indeedy...well played

36. pianoga

For your first recording with the red dot you did a great job, I look forward to hearing your playing infront of the mic getting more comfortable as time goes by...a nice steady rhythm you got there Pieter and some nice contrasts...almost turned into a "cowboy western rootin tootin" version for a moment somewhere in there...I like it...you've earned your "order of the red dot" with pride my friend

37. Bob who?

Loved the build of emotion around the minute mark Bob and the cute ending...you keep getting better "Sir Bob", good job

38. Opus45 (Jeff)

Hi Jeff...for a few years (off and on) you played that beautifully...could have been longer for me what a pretty tune that is.

39. reliv4all (my son Matthew)

That is wonderful at any age but, for 12 years old it is incredible!!! I'm jealous too

40. Haizel

Somehow, its just the perfect end to a wonderful experience of music...I shall treasure for a lifetime.

This website is all about the music and our passion for it, I am proud (I'm filling up here someone pass a hanky quick!!) to be a part of something so wonderful and to know so many wonderful people

THANKYOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL laugh

Thanks Bob for all your hard work and thanks to hunkster and copper and Frank and all at pianoworld for helping this to happen

best wishes

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!! thumb

First I want to thank everyone for the wonderful entertainment I had at work today...I have been unpacking all day and have been listening to the recital the whole day...it's been great! thumb

I really want and will try to comment on everyones performance, but my time is limited at work right now (I know, sounds like a copout)-our inspection lab has moved and I've been coordinating it...or maybe I should say, running around putting out fires...anyways, I started a doc with comments and will post later.

Second...thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments. Leeside, Monica, mallet- yes when I play, I do sing, low and off key-, Maryrose, icekid, funburger-btw, I play/sing a lot of my songs to my wife, just not when she's listening...don't want to scare her.

Thanks all for making me smile…as I know everyone else. It really is nice to read comments from others…good or bad.

Opus45 ..'bout fell outta my chair when I read your comment to Monica to "take that matter up with yourself in another thread" lol what a GREAT LINE...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Everyone -

BRAVO!!! You know, I enjoy each and every one of the selections in the recitals. After I download the zip files I burn them to cd and listen and enjoy. I have them playing right now on my Bose - WOW! Thank you one and all!!!

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The first batch:

Super-hunky:

There are a lot of really, and I mean REALY good people here. Possibly consider toning down the attitude just a bit and how about practicing a piece for more that a day!; the results may surprise you!

Dannylux:

Holy cow man what the heck was that?. "beginer" my arse!! wink , truly and incredible performance (even at the "pro" level"), your fancy fingering and perky notes were just amazing.

Stephenc:

Another absolutely beautiful brickman piece that you managed to master once again. I will get the music and try to learn this myself based on your performance of it. very well done.

Peyton:

Very nice improvised version. I have to give you some extra credit for enhancing this sometimes over-played holiday song. You have breathed some fresh air into this piece; nice job.

J.Mclellan:

Such a beautiful song that you performed very well. I agree that the sound quality could possibly be taking away from how nice you actually played and performed this piece. If you get an external mic sometime, I would really love to hear this song again from you.

Ragnchild:

I must say you submited a VERY crisp and clear recording. Very fancy trills as well; nice job.

Icekid:

Wow-ie mister, now thats some super smooth and releaxing holiday music. Sounded just like a real professional cd. I was VERY impressed by your submission. Where's the tip jar?

Pianoagain:

Another "Holy cow", wow, lots-o-notes!, you are very talented. This (these(, but especially the first one ) would also sound fantastic on a harpsichord. You should try it on a digital in the "harpsichord" mode. Great job.

Euan Morrison;

I noticed myself not only turning up the volume, but actually almost leaning in to hear every note. It was plently loud enough, but I just really enjoyed this piece; very soothing and relaxing. Thanks for the nice performance.

Frycek:

Very nice DEEP rich bass, very powerfull. I enjoyed it and loved hearing your piano as well.

Kawaigirl:

You call this a very "simple" song, but by listening carefully to the fingering, I agree, it's not. However, it does come across very crisp,clean and, well, "beautifully simplistic", very nice to listen to as always.

RockPeter:

For some reason, I had to actually download your song to hear it, but it was certainly worth it.
Very nice job, I enjoyed it very much.

Monica Kern:

Monica, you must know thatI have been listening to Manheim Steamroller since 1982!!. They are one of my favorite groups/bands/ensembles??....whatever they are. Anyway, once again, another beautiful performance from you and your mighty Mason. I think I am going to give your H4 a try as your recording sounds so nice.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had some recording problems... with my equipment and in my head... but I intend to be heard next time.... You all sounded wonderful.... Have a very happy holiday, one and all!!! ~Sharon laugh

1. Super-Hunky - you totally put me in the Christmas mood - the holiday spirit... oh - your playing just sent me over the edge.... I love it.

2. Dannylux (Mel) - Wow - nice fingering - jumping around, but very smooth.

3. StephenC - Beautiful - nice spacing. I felt lifted by the music. Beautiful composition - echo a bit - Brickman... nice.

4. Peyton - I was going to play Silent Night. (My Anvil equipment gave out at the last minute... I also waited until the last minute... - but you - it's smashing - original - jazzy (and give ME ideas). It's just out there and very cool.

5. J_McClellan - Kind of dark, but cool. I liked it.

6. Ragnhild - It sounded fine. Nice Bach piece, very steady.

7. Icekid767 (Hawk) - (gotta love that name - Hawk) - anyway - beautiful. I felt like at a holiday party, with cocktail in hand, mingling with friends and colleagues. You play very nice, Hawk.

8. Piano again - sounds polished enough to me - magnificent, in fact.

9. Euan Morrison - Euan, you have dark side to you, don't you. So deep - your playing is very thoughtful.

10. Frycek - I think this may be the 1st time I've heard you play. Very lovely.

11. kawaigirl1 - Beautiful melody. You always play nicely.

12. Rockpeter (Peter) - nice - introspective piece - full sounding.

13. Monica Kern - Little children with freshly scrubbed faces peering out to watch and listen to the beautiful sounds coming from your instrument. Nice work, Monica.

14. dh (Deborah) - It sounds nice. I was going to play Silent Night, too. 2 months plus self-taught - BRAVO!

15. Loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen) - nice playing. The recording quality was fine. Nice spacing.

16. Copper - I like the intro. I like the octave switch... nice.

17. Mahlzeit - Ultra creative - it's supposed to be Silent Night. Hope PMMO is going well for you.

18. Sandy Moore - very nice playing.

19. Rocky - I liked it a lot. Will try this tune.

20. PootieTooGood (Tarik) - Delightful ... it sounded good. Thumbs up!

21. Patty39 - You played it from your heart - lovely.

22. YamahaG3&P-80 (Mike White) - Interesting opening (intro)... your playing is always great.

23. Nighteyes - Beautiful work...

24. MonsterM&H (Les) - Bouncy - I never heard this before... but I like it now... Cheers.

25. Balladeer - What I can I say. (Sorry I missed this one... I'm glad to hear you... Tim, as always.... just beautiful

26. NancyM333 - Lovely playing

27. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - it sounded nice... real fine.

28. Bluemarine - Beautiful waltz... good timing.

29. AdagioM (Michele) - You play lovely, beautiful piece of music, too.

30. Serge88 - nice... smooth

31. MountainAsh - only 9 month - wonderful....

32. Seaside_Lee - mate - you came through... and you sounded fine....I'm sorry I disappointed the troops this time around.... There's always tomorrow. Peace.

33. Funburger - HUH? LOL. You are just so wild, girl... You're playing is amazing, BTW.

34. LiztAddict - Beautiful work.

35. psychopianoman (Allen Clark) - Thumbs up, good work!

36. Pianoga (Pieter) - creative - The Red Dot will come easier now!

37. BobMuir - For all you do - this Bud's for you... Amazing job... and you played very well.....

38. Opus45 - Smooth, wonderful stuff, Jeff.

39. reliv4all (my son Matthew) - excellent playing.

40. Haizel - Beautiful song and very fitting... I agree.

Congratulations to all those who participated. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh my lord.....there is a phone ringing during my recital....I told everyone to shut there cells...geez....
LoL I figured this was impossible but here's the reason. I did use my record function on the clavinova and than played it backed directly into my pre-amp,which is plugged in my #3 input. However my microphone is in my #1 input and after listening to your comments about a phone ringing, by the way I had no idea because I didnt really listen to my recording enough to notice...but long story short, the #1 input volume was not set to 0, so I basically was recording two ways....direct and through the mic which I thought was off, so the mic picked up the phone ringing in the background.

comments on others to come.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow...no way I'm doing all this in one fell swoop. I think just a few at a time.

#1. this is one of those Christmas tunes that can get so tiring hearing over and over but YOURS breaks the mold. Refreshing. It must be all that improvisation. Nice glissade there at the end too SH! Two thumbs up.

#2, Boy, we're having fun now. What a great piece Mel. Man, I bet you are jumping all over the place. I had to listen again to hear that great ending. THAT must have taken some time to get down.

#3. Good title. What can I say...really nicely played Stephenc, and a moving piece.

#4. Peyton...don't quit your day job.

#5. I don't know, Bach always seems kind of Christmasy to me. You're going to kick at that recital. Real nice job. Nice to hear that old piano too. But do get a real mic smile

#6. More Bach, Yes! Wow Ragnhild, really nicely played!!! Wonderful seperation and great left hand. That was an upright? Gotta say, it sounded like a little electric. Maybe it was just the recording?

#7. Some real Christmas tunes now. Hawk, You have a great feel for piano. Very professional playing. Sounds like you improvised some? Love the bluesy licks. Had to listen to this one twice. Hey, maybe I'll put this on the Christmas party tape. Really feels like I'm in some lounge.Now if only my wife would let me smoke a cigar in the house!!! Ahhh.

#8. More Bach. Good.Can't get enough. Man that sounds hard! Reminds me a little of the Goldberg variations. Good for you to bring it up to speed. You said it needs some polishing but I doubt it needs much.
Great job.

#9. I love this! First piece I've heard so far that I really want to learn. Euan, You played with such feeling! I have never seen the music but I'm wondering if you need so much pedal? A few places it seemed you could have come off more. Really like the sound of the piano too. That soundsfont is excellent.

#10. One of those pieces I've heard and never pursued. So now I have ANOTHER piece I want to learn. Frycek, I don't think the recording did your playing justice. It seemed like it clipped on the louder notes? I loved it though.

#11.Kawaigirl1, what a beautiful recording. I had to turn the first part (my favorite part) up because I thought I heard strings. I don't know what to say, you just put this together so seamlessly. Wonderful playing. Loved the sudden ending too.

#12. Peter, I can see why you like this so much. And it kind of had a christmas sound to it yet oriental. Hey...answer the phone (don't you hate it when that happens:)

#13. Great playing and I really like the arrangement. Good recording of that grand too! Where did you put your mics?(close, far?). Monica it might have been the recording or acoustics (recording grands is so tough) but I bet you could use a little less pedal. Thanks for that.

#14. Hey, a real version of Silent night (not like that Peyton person...). That was great!! And the hammering in the background gave it...atmosphere. Just two months and self taught? You're going places baby!

#15 I always look forward to your recordings Kathleen. That is sweet! Really. I know you didn't mean for it to be but it almost sounds like an old old recording of some one like Marian McPartland. Just wonderful playing!!!! I love everything about it. But now...we need to talk about recording quality. first off...get a chair that doesn't squeak! And get that mic over to the other side away from where you are sitting.. smile

#16. Nice job Copper. Gooden simple!

#17. There I was thinking.."OK, how is THIS silent Night?" And then...there it is. Cool arrangement. I like the different variations on the theme. Light, then darker.

#18. Sandy, that's one of those pieces I just can't get enough of. great playing. I like the long intro up to the melody.

#19. Good job Rocky. Great left hand. I had a little trouble with the sound of the keyboard. Bet it really sounds wonderful on piano.

#20. Wonderful playing Tarik, very professional sounding!. So far however i give you the award for strangest sounding recording. It starts off with some very clear mic sounds and then goes into this scratchy sounding old record. It really sounds like an old recording. Kind of cool.

#21. Nice addition to the recital Patty. Haven't heard that in so long. What a nice job you did. Ummm...what's the giant hum in the background? laugh

#22. Mike, did you make that up? Really like your version. I like how you changed the whole feel half way through. Very dramatic! OK...I could have done without the bells at the end... laugh

#23. Nice to hear Nighteyes.I always love this peice and you do a great job.

#24. Hey Les, now that was fun! Are you kind of singing there in the background? smile Great sound from the piano too!

#25. Balladeer, I really like the way you took your time. Very relaxed and sweet. And you did all that by ear? Wow.

#26. Since we have been working on this in the Nocturne study group I've been waiting to hear your playing. I especially like your work on 76-90.

All for now. I'll try and listen to more later. Thanks!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
1: Great job, Super-Hunky. I've always liked this piece. Your version is certainly your own. While I didn't love the intro, I got into it after that. Well done. That BB of yours has one heckuva bass!

2: dannylux, I wasn't familiar with this piece, but I like it. Nicely played. It really does sound like Gypsies. laugh It does sound rather challenging to learn this one. Excellent job!

3: Very nice "new agey" piece. Well played. Unlike mine, I detect no errors in yours.

4: Peyton, Interesting arrangement of a classic Christmas song. Nice job.

5: Asked for no feedback, so none given.

6: ragnhild, I like this piece. You have done an admirable job on it. I always find longer pieces like this to be difficult as far as maintaining concentration. I don't think you had that problem, though. For a piano you described as an "old small upright" it sounds great.

7: icekid767, I like this one, too. Funny, I always thought this was a Guaraldi arrangement as well. I just looked in my copy of the book, and it is the only piece in the book that doesn't say arranged by Vince Guaraldi or written by Vince Guaraldi. Excellent job. I like this tremendously. thumb

8: Bach seems to be very popular this time around. Nicely played. I don't think it could be much more polished. Sounds pretty darn polished to me.

9: Euan, this is fantastic! I don't know the piece, but it is hauntingly melodic. Your playing is, as usual, excellent. 13 months? You're joking, aren't you? laugh I like the soundfont, too. It sounds very convincing and non-digital.

10: Frycek, Very nice job. Thanks for the background on the piece. That makes it even more enjoyable.

11: kawaigirl, excellent interpretation. I've really never listened to Einaudi, but after the last couple of recitals, he's atarting to grow on me. This one is especially nice. It doesn't sound easy to me. Beautiful job.

12: Rockpeter, This is ufamiliar to me, yet I think I hear a bit of Silent Night in it. Is it just my imagination, or is there some similarity in parts? Nice playing and a hauntingly beautiful and interesting piece.

13: Monica Kern, this is a very nice arrangement. I like the way it starts out simple and adds complexity and texture. Very nice playing, again.

14: dh, only 2 months self taught? Go, girl. You are doing fantastically well. Great job!

15: loveschopintoomuch, another Christmas song that I love. Who doesn't? Nice job, but I'm wondering if you're going to win Super-Hunky's crappiest recording award? laugh Yes, I think you have it so far. I'm speaking of the recording quality, not your playing which is quite nice.

16: Copper, nice job. Simple music, perhaps, but you played it quite well.

17: mahlzeit, Spooky Night? Your arrangement is rather haunting. I like it. It sounds quite challenging to play, and you played it tremendously well. This one's a keeper.

18: Sandy Moore, you're right; that is an amazing arrangement. I've always enjoyed this piece in both its guises, but I haven't heard an arrangement like that one. I don't think it's too slow. I think many people play it faster than it was probably intended to be played. Very nice.

19: Rocky, nice job on that pop classic. I haven't played it in years, but I used it as a recital piece when I was 12 or 13, I think it was. Brings back memories.

20: PootieTooGood, there has to be a story behind that screen name. laugh Seriously, very nice job. The recording quality isn't great, but it's not horrible, either. Your playing? Excellent!

21: Patty39, I like this song, too. I never saw the movie, but have always enjoyed the music. I play this one occasionally for my own enjoyment. I think you've done extremely well, particularly in light of the 2 years, 4 months from scratch part. This song is more difficult than it sounds.

22: Mike White, that's an interesting arrangement of Silver Bells. I like your intro especially. Those darn digital pedals can be slippery devils. Nice job.

23: Nighteyes, I think you've interpreted this piece extremely well. I like your dynamics, and I think it is meant to be played slowly. thumb

24: Monster M&H, I didn't think I knew the piece until you started playing it. Then I realized that it was quite familiar. I can even recall some of the lyrics from memory. Fabulous job.

25: Balladeer, I like your arrangement of this Christmas classic, and I like the key change. Fabulous job! Thanks, and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to you as well.

26: NancyM33, a Chopin nocturne well payed. The recording quality is quite nice as well. When you hit the bass notes it almost sounds as though you're being accompanied by a bowed bass. Nice job! I think your teacher will be impressed.

27: Me, oh well, better luck next time. I think I'm running a close second for crappiest recording quality. I love this song, but I don't think I've done it justice. I still have time to polish it up for Christmas, though. Maybe I can do better. mad

28: Bluemarine, I am unfammiliar with Rebikov (thanks for the link.) This is quite a nice piece, and you played it fantastically.

29: AdagioM, this is another unfamiliar piece to me. I like your playing of it, though. It's quite nice. I'm really not sure what you're talking about when you say it's not ready.

30: Serge88, nice job. I'm not sure where the few mistakes are. I only detected one. laugh Very enjoyable.

31: Mountain Ash, Nice job. I don't know the pieces, but you play them nicely for so little experience. Keep it up!

32: Seaside Lee, this is a very nice version of White Christmas. Very enjoyable.

33: Funburger, Jello on the ceiling? You have to explain that one. It doesn't sound like you had much trouble with it in spite of your insistence that it was a "much harder" version than you would have liked. Excellent job!

34: LisztAddict, I enjoy playing this piece myself. The version I have is slightly different than what you played here. I like this one, though. You did a great job with it. Parts of this sound almost as though you have an extra hand.

35: Psychopianoman, nice job on Silent Night. I don't detect the mistakes you say are there. despite your insistence that it isn't meant for singing, I found myself singing along.

36: Pianoga, nice job on White Christmas. I wish I could play by ear. You put some interesting variety into this one.

37: Bob Muir, I like your Away in a Manger. Very nicely arranged, and played excellently. By the way, thanks for all your hard work in hosting the recital!

38: Opus45, I haven't heard this one before. Well played and interesting song. It's always nice to hear something new.

39: Reliv4all, only 14 months? Impressive effort. Nice dynamics and accurate playing in the fast bits. Great job!

40: Haizel, Hark the Herald Angels Sing; what a great way to end the recital. Very nice job!

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Hello fellow recital participants.

I haven't had enough free time to listen the recital yet, but I wanted to let you know that I will certainly find some time this weekend.

This has always been great fun for me and I'm looking forward to the pleasure of listening to your recordings!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I finally got the 5 zip files downloaded after more than 6 hours. Tomorrow I can start listen to them. smile yippie

Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
Parts of this sound almost as though you have an extra hand.
When I first read the score, I said "this is impossible, I need to have 3 hands to play this". Well, no extra hand. The left hand plays the left hand accompaniment part, the right hand plays the right hand accompaniment part, and both hands pitch in a finger or 2, interlace, and whatever you can do for the melody part. But make it sings!

Here is part of the first verse. [Linked Image]

Similar to above but in the second verse. [Linked Image]

Now you know why I am addicted to Liszt music. laugh

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
wow You've gotta be freakin' kidding me eek . Is this the stuff you guys are sightreading???

I glanced at this for only a few seconds and now my eyes are sore!

As if it's not complicated enough, check out all the clef changes as well. You guys are nuts but we still love you!
3hearts

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Forty participants, wow! thumb

Before I share my comments, let me just say "Thank You!" for your very kind reviews of my rendition of "Silent Night." It's great to participate and earn my red dot.

On to the reviews ...

1. Super-Hunky, that was Super-Enjoyable! I really find it amazing that you can tackle pieces the way you do, but it certainly does work out well. By the way, I don’t think you owe anything to your Super-Mistakes Fund.

2. dannylux (Mel) - I loved the joy of your selected music — It’s got rather a sense of humor, doesn’t it? — although I suspect that you might have been feeling something other than joyful at the prospect of making it through the recording in one piece. You did, though, and good job!

3. StephenC - The more I hear of Brickman’s music, the more I like it. “Freedom” is a beautiful work, and your playing is a real pleasure.

4. Peyton - Your arrangement of “Silent Night” is absolutely beautiful. If you ever transcribe that, I’d love the sheet music. Not that I’ll be able to play it anytime soon!

5. J_McClellan - I quite enjoyed your playing. And don’t worry about the poor recording. Lots of us have that problem. Good luck at your recital!

6. Ragnhild - Very enjoyable, thanks! I thought the piece was just fine for a holiday recital. No need for everyone to do Christmas music.

7. Icekid - Lovely. You chose a really enjoyable piece, and I loved listening to you play it. Smooth and delightful.

8. Piano again - Very nice job. You’re working through the WTC? My eyes cross at the thought. Of course, I’m still learning music with the BIG notes, you know?

9. Euan - I don’t mind at all hearing a somber piece amidst all the festive ones, particularly when it is as beautiful as that one. (I'm convinced. Einaudi is a genius.) And your playing is very fine and expressive.

10. Frycek (Nancy) - I enjoyed your performance of this intriguing piece! Thanks for your notes on the recital thread; when you first started playing, I was very surprised by the music's decidedly un-lullaby’ish qualities.

11. Kawaigirl1 - You’re one of the people here who is making me fall in love with Einaudi’s compositions. That is a terrific piece — absolutely haunting — and your playing is really up to it.

12. Rockpeter - Very nice. That’s a lovely piece of music and you play it beautifully. I would really like to hear it with orchestra and strings as you mentioned, if you ever feeling like recording it that way for us.

13. Monica - Your piece is lovely, from those delicate opening notes right through to the end. The "The Holly and the Ivy" is one of my favorite carols, so this was a real treat for me.

14. dh (Deborah) - Good grief, woman, what are you doing to that piano? NEXT!

15. loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen) - My dear, it’s better to hear a bad recording of you playing beautifully than to not hear you play at all, so I’m glad you sent this in despite the technical woes.

16. Copper - I quite enjoyed your “simple music for a simple pianist.” There’s a lot to be said for the traditional carols. Your choice was perfect for getting me in the mood for the holidays, thanks!

17. mahlzeit - What a surprising — and affecting — take on a holiday classic. Your playing is wonderful and your arrangement is simply stunning. Thank you so much for the sheet music. It's at the very top of my "Music I Really, Really Want To Play Some Day" stack.

18. Sandy - That is an achingly beautiful arrangement of a song that was lovely to start. And your playing is wonderful from where I sit!

19. rocky - "Let There Be Peace on Earth" is an lovely song, and it was a pleasure to see (hear) it played here. You did a nice job with it, too.

20. PootieTooGood (Tarik) — I really liked the piece you chose; it has a lovely dreamy quality about it. Your performance is quite enjoyable, very deftly played. Also, you win the "Wildly Optimistic Pianist" Award for having selected the longest piece. Congrats on having pulled it off!

More to come ...

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, here are my comments so far. I want to say that you have all done a magnificant job and you should be so proud of the wonderful music that's collected here.

Bob, as always, hats off to you!

Mr. Super-Hunky wonderful! I really enjoyed your rendition of this (one of my Christmas favs) You have the perfect “lounge” touch! And I esp like the glissando at the end. (is that a glissando?)

Mel I’ve never heard of Levitzki, but I love the “gypsy” feel of this piece, and your dramatic flair! Is it the bass line that’s jumping around? I like the path it travels. Is it just me, or would this piece go nicely with the Croatian Rhapsody?

StephenC Your lovely rendition reminded me that I need listen to more Brickman music, I hardly know any of his pieces. Thank you for sharing this, it’s so relaxing and soothing! Wonderful job.

Peyton Your own arrangement, considering that you “haven’t the faintest idea how to play this piece,” works for me! smile If I may add one piece of feedback, it would be to either bring out the melody more, or change your recording method (perhaps mic placement?) so that the upper register is more prominent.

J_McClellan Very nice, I’m sure your upcoming recital will go wonderfully!

Ragnhild I have been working on Inventions with a teacher, so I really respect your ability to tackle WTC on your own! Very nice, thank you for sharing!

Icekid you’ve got me all ready for Christmas! I never associated this with Vince Guaraldi, but that may just be me. Either way I really enjoyed your rendition!

Piano again I really enjoyed your Bach! Very inspiring, listening to you makes me want to hurry up and finish Inventions (though hurry up is never an expression that goes well when talking about practicing Bach.)

Euan Un Mondo a parte, A world away, very beautiful! I haven’t heard the original, but I love how it is piano-only. Perhaps it’s not very festive, but it makes me think of a snowy forest at dusk, when the snow has stopped falling, there’s no wind, and the last remaining light of the day is caught up in the snow, which glows a kind of white-blue. Your rendition took me a world away…

Frycek I think I said this before, but this piece and your performance of it are really wonderful! It sounds to me like a lullaby for adults, just what I want to hear after a long day.

Kawaigirl Yea, more Einaudi! Your rendition is really wonderful. Do you know what In un'altra vita means? I think I know what you mean in saying that this piece is not as simple as it might sound, listening to it with the thought of playing it, I can hear that it would be challenging, but you make it sound easy.

Rockpeter I’ve always been curious about Uematsu’s music (since he’s quite famous here of course) but I’ve never really heard much of his music, so thank you for sharing your lovely rendition. I actually have a collection of FF sheet music even though I don’t know any of the music, I’ll have to see if this is in it. BTW your ending sounded perfectly natural.

Monica as always, wonderful! Wonderful selection, wonderful performance! I have heard a few different solo piano versions of this, and this one that you’ve chosen is really nice. Your recording sounds very nice as well, I’ll have to start reading more about those H4 thingies.

Deborah Brava on your Debut! 2 months? You’re doing wonderfully! Merry Christmas!

Kathleen I’m sorry your recording isn’t better because it’s sounds like you’re playing this very nicely. And your ending is just right. Many times, many ways, Merry Christmas to you too! jingle bells, jingle bells…

Copper sounds very good, you have this piece in a very good place, just in time for Christmas! If I may give you some feedback, my advice would be the following: go through and listen to your recording and sing along with yourself. Hear where you want to take a breath, and which lyrics you’d like to make sing out. This will show you which places you might want to pause (add a breath) in your playing. The other thing I would suggest is to focus on having a more even tempo throughout, you don’t need to speed up, but try not to rush through notes that you could hold for their full value.

Mahlzeit I love this! Wonderful! If Victor played a Christmas song in “The Corpse Bride” this is what he would play! The difference between the first half and the second half is also quite nice. Did you say you’ve only been playing about a year? I’m just going to pretend I don’t know that, so I can avoid turning green with envy! smile

Sandy very nice arrangement, and you play it wonderfully! I don’t think you’re playing it too slowly, but I imagine you’ll naturally speed up the more you play it. Also you may put it away at the end of the holiday season this year, then when you come back to it an re-learn it, you may wind up with yet a different tempo. It sounds like it would work well at a variety of tempos.

Rocky very nice! You are all making me cry with all these nostalgic favorites!

Tarik I’m sorry your recording isn’t better, because there’s a lot to like about your playing! Fortunately, the recording is good enough to give us a taste of that.

Patty I think this was in the first score book I ever bought (along with the Romeo & Juliet theme) and I remember playing it when I first started, so your recording is leaving me a misty-eyed over here. You have made a wonderful contribution to the ABForum!

Mike White I used to sing this song with my grandma and my mother. Can you hand me a tissue please?

Nighteyes 6 months? Wow! And a wonderful rendition of this lovely Prelude. Your tempo is nice too, I don’t like it too fast. Thank you for sharing this!

Les I hope your wife appreciates this wonderful Christmas present! I’m quickly running out of tissues over here…

Balladeer yours is the last straw, I can’t turn off the waterworks over here. Especially since I won’t be home for Christmas this year frown but only in my dreams…

Nancy I think your recital is going to go very well, your performance of this piece is really lovely! I think my giving you feedback is a little bit out of line since I can’t play this piece myself, but I’ll just share my thoughts and you can do with them as you please. I really like how you present the music approaching the 3-minute mark and on through to the end. The only thing I thought was I would like a little more drama in the first half, or not drama… what the word? I would like to hear you spend a little more breath on each note… maybe to slow it down just a tad, esp in the first minute. But this is just about interpretation, not your playing, and I think both your interpretation and playing are wonderful, so you should probably just ignore my comments! :p

Well, I had hoped to listen to and comment on all the recordings, but I need to get off here so I can practice my own music! eek

Everyone so far has been wonderful and inspiring, and I deeply regret that I couldn’t make the time to get a recording of my own to add to this group, it would have been an honor to be a part of this recital, I think it must be the best so far!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks to all who were so kind. heart I appreciate it, and it's given me the encouragement I needed not to be so hard on myself.

I am going to use the whole weekend to listen to everyone's piece. I am looking forward to it. smile

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First, let me say a huge BRAVO to all of you! Such talent is shown here- it's wonderful!! Thank you for all the lovely music I had to listen to!

Hunky- Amazing improv! I am just astounded at how easily you do what you do!

Mel- Very even sounding. You handled the jumping very well. Sounds like a fun peice to play.

Stevenc- Lovely piece, very peaceful and played so well! Your dynamic changes were quite nice- I wish I could control mine so well!

Peyton- I think you have more than a "faint" idea how to play this piece! Lovely arrangement of one of my favorite carols.

J_McLellan- Very nice! Although I'm not familiar with this music, it sure sounds like what I would think of when I see Largo.

Ragnhild- Very nice job on the Bach. Sounds very evenly played to me and very pretty, as well, which isn't alwasy easy to put together.

Icekid- Pretty! I have to admit, this has never been a favorite of mine, but I could listen to this arrangement over and over.

Piano again- I am always impressed by those who can play Bach so well. Very nice job!

Euan- Very dreamy sounding piece. I like it.

Frycek- This is another piece I was not familiar with. Very nice sounding- you play so well!

Kawaigirl- Very pretty. You kept it flowing very nicely.

Peter- This is a very nice piece- another pretty, kind of dreamy feel.

Monica- I think Jackson Berkey would be proud! I love Mannheim Steamroller and you played this so nicely!

Deborah- Ah, one of my favorites! Nice arrangement, and nicely played for 2 months.

Kathleen- This was very nice. A very traditional sounding arrangement and nicely played.

Copper- Merry Christmas to you, too! Nice job on a great carol.

malzheit- Very neat arrangement of Silent Night! Love the minor sound.

Sandy Moore- What a pretty arrangement, quiet and relaxing.

rocky- Nice job! Very well played.

Tarik- Not a piece I am very familiar with, but it is pretty, and from what I can tell, you played it well.

Patty39- very nice playing! It sounded quite lovely and I think you got the wonderful emotion into it as well.

Mike White- As always- just wonderful! I loved the ending- much more aggressive than you usually hear on this one.

Nighteyes- Very nice playing. A bit more laid back than one usually hears Bach played, but your are right- the music certainly works well played that way.

Les- Aww, how sweet to dedicate it to your wife! Especially with this performance- really nice job!

Balladeer- I really loved how you played this! So soft and dreamy- very, very pretty! I do envy all you play by ear folk!

Nancy- Very nice job on the Chopin! It sure sounds like all the work you put in has paid off.

Dennis- How lovely- a very nice piece, and well played!

Bluemarine- Nice piece. I wish I could "keep up" in fast passages like you do!

Michele- If that's "not perfect" I can't wait to hear you play something that is! Nicely done!

Serge88- Mistakes? What mistakes? It sounded great to me.

Mountain Ash- I really liked the second one- I could hear the ducks! Nice job!

Lee- I really love the way you play. You bring out so many nuances in the music. Very, very nice!

funburger- Video! Wow! Nice job. I have a hard enough time with just audio recording- I'd never be able to do that good a job with video!! Love it!

LisztAddict- Very pretty! I don't know exactly what you adjusted, but it sounds lovely to me.

Allen- Oh, my, this was absolutley beautiful! I really like what you did with only 3 chords! Very impressive.

Pieter- Very nice job! I like the way you varied the sound each time thru- keeps it from getting repetitive sounding.

Bob- Very sweet and lovely sounding- I like this version, whether you intended to play it this way or not.

Jeff- I have always loved this medley! Beautiful job playing it!

Matthew- Wow! What a great job! 12 years old, huh? You sound great!

Haizel- Nice job- sounds very stately and joyful.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I should be working but I'm listening to the recital....shhh.... the first half..

01. S-H Christmastime is here.
I'm still amazed at your ability to improvise. You're a natural. This is lovely. No one would ever believe that you've been playing for such a short time.

02. dannylux - Valse Tzigane.
Sounds light and fun and also very difficult. I really enjoyed it but wouldn't want to attempt it! Great job!

03. Stephenc - Freedom.

I love this piece! You're right about how we should all feel. It really feels peacefull. I haven't played any Jim Brickman yet. This makes me want to try. Great job.

04. Peyton Higgison Silent Night.
You are obviously so comfortable with your piano and making music! I could never do this. I did lose the melody often but it sounded wonderful anyway and I loved the piece all the same!

05. J_McClellan - Bach largo piece. You've done a great job voicing the melody. Good luck with your recital - you sound well in control of this piece!

06 Ragnhild - Bach: Prelude WTC II, no 12 F. Great job! It's been awhile since I learned a Bach piece. Time to try again! The last one was 45 sec long and took me three months! How long did this take?

07. Icekid767 (Hawk)
Loved this. It will be on my ABF Christmas CD!

08. Piano again
Wow. Lots of Bach this recital. I have the recording of the first one and didn't think anyone could really play it that fast!! You did and very well! I did prefer the second one - I'm not a fan of all the trills I think.

09. Euan Morrison - Un Mondo a Parte. Maybe not festive but certainly peaceful! This is a wonderful piece and you played it with a lot of feeling.

10. Frycek - Lulajze Jezuniu. Thanks for the great intro to this piece! The loud section were very loud on my player but I really enjoyed your playing. I hadn't heard this piece before.

11. Kawaigirl1 - In un'altra vita. This sounds very professional. You have great control and timing. It's something that my teacher is constantly telling me "the listener will hear..." well the listener loved this! I can hear so well what he's been preachng to me!

12. Rockpeter (Peter)
- To Zanarkand FFX, Nobuo Uematsu. Couldn't download. will try at home.

13. Monica Kern. The Holly & The Ivy. Loved it! I'm listening again as I type. Another one for my Christmas ABF CD!

14. dh (Deborah) - Silent Night. This is wonderful for only two months! Be sure to post it again in the December Piano Bar!

15. loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen). Christmas Song. This is one of my favourites! You did a nice job. It'll be on my CD.

16. Copper - Joy to the world.
A different arrangement of another favourite. Nice! Simple but very nice! and most likely not so simple. They never are!

17. mahlzeit - spooky night. This was one of the pieces I listened to several times. It gave me goosebumps. I bet it's wonderful to play - you sound like you really enjoy it!

19. rocky
- Let there be peace on earth. I'd forgotten how much I love this piece. Thanks so much for playing it. You played it beautifully! I'll be listening to this over the holidays!

20. Couldn't download. will try at home.

21. Patty39 - Love Story. Gosh it's been so long since I heard this! It was great to hear and you play it beautifully! It sounds like you've been playing longer than a couple of years.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks again for putting this together Bob. I appreciate the comments some of you gave me. You're too kind =)

This week has been pretty hectic for me but I have been enjoying this recital piece by piece wink
Some of the music that really hit me:

Mr. S-H: I love what you done here. A real treat to listen to.

Mel: Great choice! I've never heard it before but it sounds great in your hands.

Stephenc: Another beautiful selection. Very introspective and thought-provoking and your playing is from the heart. I think I'll look for the music for this one for myself =)

Peyton: "I haven't the faintest idea how to actually play this piece..." Shenanigans! Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing!

Hawk: Charlie Brown rules. So does your playing of this piece. If I get to learn any christmas songs I'll have to consider this one.

I'll have to continue this later...

B
B
Hello All ...

First thanks to Bob Muir for his efforts (and anyone else who helped put this together.

Next, thanks to you all for the music, the experience and the interaction. This is great fun and a very positive thing for us all to be involved in. smile

S-H ..... Simply your best. Period! I hear "new tendencies" in your playing - and your variety of sound has increased measureably. This is very texturally rich - I could go on, but I'm worried about your head.

Mel .... What a zesty piece beautifully presented! Superb dynamic control. Wonderful.

Stephenc .... You have made this one of Brickman's more appealing pieces - at least to my ear. Very even and smooth.

Peyton .... Innovative! Great passing chords and a dreamy interpretation of the melody. Nice command of the instrument.

J McClellan .... Excellent job of maintaining the tempo while changing dynamics.

Ragnhild .... You can never go wrong with Bach. What a great demonstration of good technique this is!

Hawk .... Wonderful phrasing! It is clear that you love this one - and I did too!

Piano Again .... You certainly have some impressive skills. Thanks for the music.

Euan .... I think you have captured the spirit Einaudi intended for this one. Beautiful.

Frycek .... Thanks for introducing me to this lovely piece. I thought you did particularly nice work on the grace notes.

Kawaigirl1 .... Simple .. and beautiful .. and simply beautifully played! Nice offset octaves.

Peter .... I am not familiar with this artist or tune, but I certainly will not mind listening to you play it again! Thanks.

Monica .... That Mason is sounding pretty darned good under your hands! You have definitely captured the Chip Davis flow, and this is very soothing.

Deborah .... What a terrific job for just a couple of months! Very nice and solid - keep going!!

...... to be continued ......

Balladeer

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission