2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just had this piano delivered today. It's an old Howard (1920s?) that a friend of ours wanted out of the way. It actually sounds terrible right now, but I had a piano tech look at it before we moved it, and he said he could tune it and get it in playable shape without doing anything major to it. It does have all of the original ivory keys. I think it looks nice in this room (used to be part of our garage! we had it finished off last year). Sorry the picture's not very clear.
[Linked Image]

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That piano bench looks HARD! eek

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Yup - If you got the piano for free or little, I'd sure invest in a nice padded bench. I have a cushion on mine and I can hardly wait for the Real padded one. Funny how you notice that when you really start playing a lot!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have some natural padding. :rolleyes:

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I hope the piano works out well, Piano Again.. It looks lovely. I just love looking at everyone's rooms and instruments. Can hardly wait for mine. Hopefully I can post pictures of the piano next week - and then again after I get it home. I love everyone's "space".

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Chickgrand,

Very interesting story about the history and the markings of the Chickering. AS you know my Knabe D is very similar overall to your Chickering, and is relatively the same age. As well the action has several names and in fact one signature in pencil on it...which I too find really interesting. Must be the detective in me.

It might be interesting to find the same names on Knabes and Chickerings after the merge date.

Enjoyed the post.

skyblanche

Zongora,

That is a Hamburg Steinway M...right? I forget which of the Steinways have the slow flat rise on the cheeks(Hamburg I believe) and which have the more sudden rise in the cheeks (the New York I suspect, as that's what my B has)

I remember it as one of the quick ways to recognize the Hamburg and the New York but obviously, I don't remember it very well.

Your room is wonderful...just like my teacher's. She's 88 and just played a recital at my home with a young friend or hers 77.

It was quite a party.

They played the Thomas A. Johnson "Rhumba" four hands on the Knabe D and it brought the house down.

Thanks for your post.

skyblanche

Beelady has kindly solved my posting dilemna...and thanks again.

Z
Z
Skyblanche,

It's a New York Steinway M built in the 1920's and rebuilt around 1951 when I purchased it for $1750.

Party must have been great. Would have felt like a youngster since I'm 74 this month.

Wish I could help with the photo posting, but I too am not a whiz at it.

Zongora

P.S. Thanks Chickgrand, Katie and you guys for your kind words.

Thanks BeeLady,

Here's a warning for all the posters of what can happen to you when you 'start' with pianos!!!

http://tinypic.com/27brc

It used to be the living room....now it's the Piano's 'living room'

Enjoy, and excuse the clutter.

skyblanche

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
skyblanche, the picture is great! I love the way you have to two pianos arranged! HOw often do two people play together at your house?

We should start a "bold colored piano room club" Seems we'd have quite a large membership. cool

BTW, what color is that? It is lovely. thumb

Glad to help.

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
Thanks BeeLady,

Both for your help posting the picture and for your compliment.

I try to get together with as many pianist and singer friends as possible on a regular basis and play for 'fun'

The recent house concert (60 guests)was in honour of my concert pianist friend from Berlin who was visiting as well as his technician from Berlin being here at the same time in Winnipeg.

The technician/builder did a prep on the old Knabe and we had a short concert, just to see what the old beast could do...featuring my pianist friend from Berlin, then my piano teacher 88 (originally from Shanghai Conservatory)and her good friend, age 77, who played four hands for 40 minutes in the second half. It was quite special.

There was absolutely no moss on the 'olders'...and there experience, depth of musicality and love of the piano permeated the room. My concert pianist friend was inspired.

I think the colour is called 'old fashioned gold'...duh... it was popular in the 50's. It has a lot of green undertone in it at night...and a lot of yellow during the day. It's easy to live with and is a dramatic backdrop for the pianos...and all the other 'stuff' (crap, was the first word I chose!) I have in the room.

thanks again,

skyblanche.

Zongora,

You would have been most welcome at the party. There were two former and one current Dean of the School of Music in attendance...so we couldn't really be too sloppy now, could we.

I bought my Steinway B in 1992 for 20,000CDN and it has been a joy to own, until I bought a Knabe D which has made the low notes of the B sound a bit let's say, less. But the Steinway still has lots of wonderful qualities and I'm not ready to give it up just yet. Perhaps after the Knabe rebuild.

skyblanche

Steinway is a 1955, forgot to mention that.

skyblanche

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by plays88keys:
Matt, that's a lovely, serene looking place. It's also disgustingly clean. You should be shot for that. laugh
In looking at the photos on this thread for a second time, I notice Matt has a duet artist bench.

Color me green.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I've been admiring the many piano rooms on this thread and decided to post mine as well. This is my Yamaha U1 in my living room, with one of my cats, Blitz. The second photo faces the back deck which overlooks the river:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/sleepingcats/My%20Yamaha%20U1/U1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/sleepingcats/My%20Yamaha%20U1/U1-2.jpg

My Fandrich & Sons grand will be going into another room which we have to prepare before it arrives Nov. 6! Gotta hurry!

smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice room sleepingcats. There looks to be enough room where the upright is for a grand. I hope there's as nice a view out the window where you're going to put it as there is in this room.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with Bob sleepingcats I love the look of your background (tons of trees).

Cathy

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Beautiful room. Did you take pix of the Fandrich? What finish?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks Bob, Cathys and Teachum...

The room where the grand will go won't have quite an extensive view of the river or island across the way, but just a blip from a narrow window. From the other direction I'll be able to see the driveway/mailbox area. I haven't decided exactly how to position the piano yet. There's an exercise pool in the room which we have to demolish then put a new floor in with soundproof flooring because the garage is underneath. (The previous owners of the house used the pool for their arthritis, but my husband and I don't want it and would rather have a regular room).

I would rather not have my grand out in the living room anyway because my 2 year-old step-grandson who comes over gets into everything, and likes to throw things. So far he's only thrown a spongy ball toward the piano - whew! Kids! Sorry, but I don't have kids of my own, just my spoiled cats and a dog. He also likes to run circles around the couch with his truck toys, etc.! Eeek! I'd also like the fact that I can be alone in "My Piano Room" and practice into the night without disturbing my husband if he's watching TV, or if he's gone to bed. We may keep the upright and leave it where it is - haven't decided.

Teachum, I didn't take any pictures of my Fandrich because I had to order one. The only 6'1" size they had was in Rosewood which is too red for me. I ordered a ebony satin. I like the bench that's coming with it - it's adjustable, AND has storage! It should be delivered when Darrell Fandrich drives down to Portland for a Technician Guild meeting in November. That'll give me enough time (I hope!) to get the room ready! laugh laugh

J
J

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission