2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I just got a thought that could be something really fun to do. It seems that many of us beginers are, for the most part, home study students.

Some take lessons, others don't, but either way, we may never have a chance to "perform" for anyone other than our spouses, kids, and the family cat (or dog).

We are comprised of members who are just outright "post-pigs"....(me!), and members who may be just a bit reluctant to post their recordings for a number of reasons.

Well, how about a compromise?. What if we picked a future date that we could all practice a song or two for, and then have kind of a compilation posting of member recordings?

Sort of an "online recital" with a specific date that we could use as a goal to have a song or two ready for the rest of us to listen to.

Bob Muir knows of a way to post these recordings so we all can just "click" to hear them right away (NO downloading all of them!)

This way, we can all (or whoever wants to) get a song ready for the big day!!

I just think this may be a way for us to all sort of "perform" together without feeling like a one man (or womwan) show. Possibly, the ice-breaker or the gentle "nudge" we may need to start us off on a whole new musical experience.

Please reply if you think this may possibly work out. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Just as a random example, say we pick a date in a month or so, we all send our recording to one specific member (insert Bob Muir's name here!) and then on the day of the recital, we can just simply click on the link and hear performances from one another as a group!

What do you think?

UPDATE:

ABF Recital is set for Feb 15th. Please send your digital recordings via an e-mail with an attachment to Bob Muir at the address below:

piano@bakerstconsulting.com

FEB 15 Recital participants:

.Super-Hunky
.Bob Muir
.Minorkeys
.Euan Morrison
.Sandy Moore
.JDsher
.Agilita
.Yellowville
.Rocky
.Copper
.Monica Kern
.PG1
.Geek in the pink
.Suz
.Totallyclassics
.Seaside_Lee
.Troy1troy
.Pianocliff
.Martinj
.Dvdiva
.Laura D
.ShiroKuro
.Shaun
.Balladeer
.Amaiakuyume
.Agilita
.Jesseb
.Cindtsphinx
.Vanfanel
.S54mo827
.Ranakor
.Monster M&H
.Tolovemoon
.Chrissi
.Cathys
.Arjen

.Lets get some more names on the list!

M
M
Works for me. Maybe by then I will actually be able to play something! LOL

I just would want to know if popular music would be OK, or will it just be for classical pieces?

MinorKeys

History is the lie most often agreed upon. - Voltare.
Cable Nelson CN216SW Studio Upright
Yamaha Motif XS8
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Anything. Whatever you wish the others to hear....

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I can do that. Of course they won't be hosted permanently, but I can make them available for a couple of months anyway.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Mr.S-H,

That sounds like a fun plan. Just be sure to remember that I would be using a yamaha digi and a cheap computer mic, so sound quality may be lacking somewhat...

However, a good idea - and one that I would be keen to try!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I can do that! although it will be classical... because I can't play by ear... frown

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"although it will be classical... because I can't play by ear"

Come on Sandy, you certainly don't have to play by ear to play non-classical. There are lots of pop music books published.

Nevertheless, there is absolutely nothing wrong with classical! Whatever piece you would like to play at your recital would be wonderful for us to hear. smile So Rach 3 it is? laugh

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sounds like a great idea. The only problem I see is that most here won't have access to recording equipment. I'm starting the process of looking for a microphone right now, but I don't plan on having anything ready for a while.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For those who have a digital keyboard, you don't need a microphone. You just need a cable from your local electronics store that connects the audio-out of the keyboard to your line-in on the computer. (If your keyboard doesn't have an audio-out, the headphone jack will do, just make sure it's turned down before you turn it on - otherwise you might blow out your sound card.) Then use Audacity to record it.

It doesn't matter if you want to submit something to the recital, it's very important to be able to listen to how you sound when you're playing. Recordings can really help improve your playing.

Sounds fun! I'll not only have to practice the piece to play but figure out how to record!

That's a great idea. I'd think about doing it, for sure... I really do need to start recording myself.

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm in !! laugh

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bob Muir:
"although it will be classical... because I can't play by ear"

Come on Sandy, you certainly don't have to play by ear to play non-classical. There are lots of pop music books published.

Nevertheless, there is absolutely nothing wrong with classical! Whatever piece you would like to play at your recital would be wonderful for us to hear. smile So Rach 3 it is? laugh
Rach who?? laugh laugh laugh (in my dreams....)
You are absolutely right ......but I need to find a piece that no one would recognize.......of course they probably wouldn't recognize it anyway...........

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Whew! When I saw the Title for this thread my first thought was that you wanted to do it live!

That really would have brought the nerves into play!

Anyway, as far as the recording is concerned - I'm in.

I'm assuming that we will maintain an appropriately low standard.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
WOW, this is great. It seems however that the main concern for several people is how to record an acoustic piano with a microphone.

Can someone who has done this maybe post up some very specific "step-by-step" instructions on how its done.

I know that Martinj has done that on another thread. It would really be helpfull for thoses who hav'nt done it yet.

Also, if the microphone becomes an expense problem, (I don't know how much they are), maybe we could all pitch in $5 or so and mail it around... Just a thought.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Terrific idea, super-hunky! I'm in, as long as the deadline is suitably far enough away so that I can (a) get my piano tuned on the 21st, and (b) figure out how to use the microphone I bought myself for Christmas.

And I like the idea of having a mix of different musical styles. I'll be contributing new age myself, because that's all I know how to play. wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, if the piano is close to the computer, all you need is a $40 dynamic mic from Radio Shack to record to the mic input of the computer's sound card.

If the piano isn't close to the computer, then it's a bit more difficult. For inexpensive, you can buy a voice recorder for about $40 at Amazon and then record the audio from that to the computer with a cable going from the earphone jack to the line-in on the computer.

If you have more money, then you can buy a similar recorder that can connect to the computer via USB.

Bob, do you know whether it makes a difference if it's a laptop or regular computer? I've got a laptop and one of those mikes that has a USB connection, but I also have a regular computer in another room about 30 feet away. I was just going to sit the laptop right next to the computer, unless you think it won't work as good. (It's a cheap Toshiba laptop, but the other computer is a state of the art Dell.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No, the laptop should work find. Give it a try!

pg1 Offline
Originally posted by Copper:

I'm assuming that we will maintain an appropriately low standard.
I'm in as well as long as the standards are sufficiently low smile

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission