2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 33 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
gerg - your mailbox is full. I tried to thank you for your last message, which was read.

Everyone - you have my admiration for having stayed the course, worked hard and managed to record (or be on the brink of recording) your choice of Etude. It's more than I could do and each and every performance will be magical and individual. We don't want perfection - we want passion.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Numerian:
Steven-

I think 10/2 can only be mastered by those who coincidentally have the flexibility of Chopin's hands, or who have taken it up at age 5 and molded their own hands to the piece. It is otherwise extremely unnatural to play.
Hehe ... I'm rather glad you said that, as it does lower the bar for the sort of performance you can expect from me! wink

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just sent mine in.

What I found difficult about this was what I guess is called voicing -- bringing out different lines and submerging others. Also avoiding making it too metronomic and bangy on the eighth-note accompaniment. When I first started on it, the runs seemed just about impossible, but persistent slow practice seemed to help eventually.

What this etude seems to do as an exercise is force one to work on tone, nuance, phrasing -- all that good stuff.

About the "cello" title for this: the melody in the left hand is not really playable on a cello as is -- much of it is too low, and it's certainly not idiomatic. It's more for an imaginary cello than a real one.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Piano Again:
About the "cello" title for this: the melody in the left hand is not really playable on a cello as is -- much of it is too low, and it's certainly not idiomatic. It's more for an imaginary cello than a real one.
Since you mention it ... I knew I'd seen some transcriptions for cello, and there are two at IMSLP.

By Glazunov in e minor (along with 10/6):
http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/d/d3/IMSLP07328-Chopin_Etudes_cello.pdf

By De Swert in d minor:
http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/bb/IMSLP15101-Chopin_Etude_Op.25_No.7_Cello-piano.pdf

I had never really examined them, as I can't read any kind of C clef anyway.

FWIW, just in case anyone's interested.

Steven

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Piano Again:
Just sent mine in.

What I found difficult about this was what I guess is called voicing

I'm listening to them all as they come in, so as to ensure the download works, and good voicing is the thing I particularly appreciated about your performance, PianoAgain. I would say 'well done' but that sounds kind of condescending considering I can't play any Etudes myself.

Generally speaking, I think people need to exaggerate voicing and dynamics a little as recordings tend to flatten it all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, I'm exhausted! I just now submitted my 10/6. I had an awful time recording TNE 1, which I had known for so long, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it was so hard to get through this piece that I have only been playing for a few months and have just barely gotten through learning.

I'm reminding myself that a couple of months ago 10/6 caused me so much pain and disability that I thought I was going to have to give up on it entirely. I couldn't really practice it because I could only get through it once or twice at a sitting. After some excellent lessons, which I wouldn't have sought out if I hadn't been attempting this project, and some useful revelations, it's now well within range for me. It almost seems simple, in a way. I don't have it memorized (terribly hard for me), but I think I will keep it in my repertoire forever, and in not too long I think it may even be the piece I play best, something I really "own."

I've heard 25/7 played on the cello, too, and it works pretty well. This discussion has whetted my appetite to play it again; I've let it fall by the wayside. I'm looking forward to PianoAgain's performance, along with all of yours.

I don't think we have to worry about Chopin being annoyed. He's really not all that hard to please!

Elene

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Elene, it is so encouraging to hear your story: that you not only didn't give up in the face of difficulty, but actively sought out lessons for the express purpose.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gonna need every last minute folks! Let me vent a little: I am feeling discouraged by this piece, that the demands exceed my abilities. It is a friend indeed, but not a close friend yet, and definitely not a girlfriend. She is dark, sultry, sophisticated (asynedon!), and I'm a simple country boy who waters cows and harvests orchards. Her proclivity is toward finesse and precision. She is on-the-dot punctual, and her passion is that of the burlesque.

Imperfections with notes will not be tolerated for my performance. I can see sliding of dynamics and minor pedal mishaps as acceptable in this venue for amateurs.

This is a harvest reaped by sowing sparsely and waiting until the last minute. This week, however, is set aside specifically to attempt to record something acceptable (2:30 is my reasonable target), with lots of practice until then.

Thanks for listening. I'm off my soapbox now.

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gerg:
the demands exceed my abilities.
The story of my playing life.... smile

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
greg,

I say this with utmost and unqualified friendly affection: Get a grip!

If you need to change your conception of this piece from the one you describe (intriguing though it may be!), so be it. IMHO, the first thing you need to rethink is speed.

Maybe I am unusual in my complete detachment from awareness of the time a performance takes, as I do see regular references from others to the minutes and seconds that the other pianists take to play a given piece. Maybe I should be more conscious of this detail, but it doesn't seem useful.

In my blissful ignorance, I'm ignorant even of how 2:30 correlates to familiar recordings. But keep in mind that there's frequently a discrepancy between verbal tempo indications and what we've become accustomed to hearing. There's even a discrepancy between those tempo indications and Chopin's own suggested beats per minute.

It's not helpful at all that most professionals play the fast-tempo etudes as fast as possible. But why did Chopin choose Allegro if he meant Presto possibile? Why must pieces that say Allegro played Presto at all?

Now, my friend, it's my turn to get off the soapbox! But you know my point is that IMHO your focus on accuracy is well placed. I suspect that the unadorned, unqualified, prosaic (asyndeton!) Allegro that Chopin calls for is already there in ample measure and should be the least of your concerns.

Steven

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Re speed - - After I recorded it I compared the speed of my recording to the speed of several professional recordings - I actually have it up to about 3/4 professional speed which surprized me. I thought it was slower.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reality check and encouragement! (And the spelling check smile ) The usual pro performance is about 2:00. DIanara Nadhafoza is about 1:51, Pollini at 2:01.

3/4 pro speed is quite satisfactory, Joe. That will be my aim too.

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Where are the links intended to be posted?

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by hopinmad:
Where are the links intended to be posted?
On the same recital site as the prelude and mazurka recitals- chopinrecital.org

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
25/4 is in. I have to give 25/11 a few more tries tonight.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gerg,

I am very sorry to hear that "imperfections with notes will not be tolerated for a performance," because after working to the point of literally making myself ill, I could not play 10/6 with all the notes correct. Sorry. Just not there yet.

Elene

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Elene, I am so very sorry! Yes I see how you read it that way.

Was speaking for myself in a moment of despair, not others. Merely expressing I'd rather play at a slower tempo and try to minimize missed and incorrect notes, than at full tempo. My piece begs for mistakes, and there is no way I can attain, in the timeframe, to perfection at the prescribed tempo.

So sorry about that misunderstanding. I know your 10/6 will be fantastic. Like MaryRose expressed, passion and authenticity.

Don't click here!
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Uh-oh gerg! No wrong notes tolerated.... Gee, I can't even say that I played all notes; I am sure I missed more than one!

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If I got a penny for every wrong note I played in mine I could retire a very wealthy man!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I'm feeling so down right now. Yes I will record something, but I cannot play it as well now as earlier today. My right hand hurts from repetitive motion. My keyboard weight is 62 grams at middle C - 10 grams heaver than a typical grand according to a Steinway rep at Steinway Hall, so my hands have to be stronger to play all the thirds in unison at a respectable tempo.

Don't click here!
Page 29 of 33 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission