2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Why not begin them both and give 25/11 some intensive effort, see where you get and then make up your mind.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not thatgood, but I'll give it a try. I do have access to the Cortot editions, I've heard they're pretty good.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
I think I might try out Op.10 number 1. I've played through it a couple times. It's going to take ALOT of work though.

This is a great idea!
Wow,10/1 is definitely the most challenging of them all as far as I am concerned; you are probably among very few on this forum who could pull this off.

playadom: sorry for snapping the 25/12 from you; you see, C minor is my favorite key too. I may take a stab at Winter Wind too; maybe one of us could pull it off (it's a whole year, after all). I played through the first page or so; it is definitely a challenge, but less so than 10/1 - there my right hand hurts just from looking at it :-)

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
YD: We seem to have similar musical tastes. Interesting...

I'd probably benefit a lot more from 25/11 because I'm already really good with octaves.

I do have a year after all..

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Playadom, why don't you give it a week or two following Frycek's suggestion (play with both), and we'll "reserve" 25/11 for you for that time? Sans a flood of interest from Pianist's Corner, I don't see anyone clamoring to play it anyway.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Debussy20: 10/1 added to your queue.

Shoot, we've almost got half of these beasties assigned!

Let's approach this with great humility and determination. For many of us this will be a real test - test of ability to learn how to acquire technique, and test of our perseverance.

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And in my case, trying to do justice to one of the most beautiful melodies ever composed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Theowne, I agree with you, strongly. 10/3, Ave Maria, 10/3, Ave Maria. It's that beautiful.

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think I'll give them both a try for a week or two. See how things turn out.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by YD:
[b] I think I might try out Op.10 number 1. I've played through it a couple times. It's going to take ALOT of work though.

This is a great idea!
Wow,10/1 is definitely the most challenging of them all as far as I am concerned; you are probably among very few on this forum who could pull this off.

playadom: sorry for snapping the 25/12 from you; you see, C minor is my favorite key too. I may take a stab at Winter Wind too; maybe one of us could pull it off (it's a whole year, after all). I played through the first page or so; it is definitely a challenge, but less so than 10/1 - there my right hand hurts just from looking at it :-) [/b]
YD: I have always hated scales and loved arps! I started this a little while ago and I've about got the first 1/5 up to speed and memorized. The rest needs some work... laugh Getting everything even and up to speed may be a challenge! bah

Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd like to try 25/7.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PA, I was hoping you'd make an appearance here, and what an appropriate piece for you! wink

It is assigned.

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gerg:
PA, I was hoping you'd make an appearance here, and what an appropriate piece for you! wink

It is assigned.
Yes! It's very appropriate for you.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
No one's picked Op. 10 No. 5 yet?!?!
This might help: The correct way of playing the black key etude....

By the way are we doing the 3 etudes that arn't part of the Op. 10 and 25?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

By the way are we doing the 3 etudes that arn't part of the Op. 10 and 25?
I suppose if anyone picks them we are.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
YD: I have always hated scales and loved arps! I started this a little while ago and I've about got the first 1/5 up to speed and memorized. The rest needs some work... laugh Getting everything even and up to speed may be a challenge! bah

Matt
I'm OK with arpeggios; the problem with 10/1 for me is that they are extremely wide and the right hand gets stretched a lot. With my hand problems, this start to hurt pretty quickly. Hopefully, this is not a problem for you. Regardless, 10/1 is, IMHO, the hardest of them all; I believe Horowitz actually said that he cannot play it properly. He played with flat fingers though, which would certainly clash with wide arpeggios, so you may do better that he :-)

BTW; what's that talk about Winter Wind difficulty? I mean, yeah, it is difficult as many of them are, but except high speed (equivalent to quarter = 207, considering 6-tuplets), I don't see is as much different from 10/12 (right hand instead of left, of course); besides, I have heard numerous concert pianists play it slower than that, some as slow as ~180 (to my ear), and it sounds just fine at that speed. I mean, yeah, it's a lot of work, but other than that, what do you all perceive as the greatest difficulty there?

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No one's picked Op. 10 No. 5 yet?!?!
This might help: The correct way of playing the black key etude....
Well well, nothing surprising here. Lang Lang just doesn't get Chopin. This is too subtle for him; he just needs to show that he can play chromatic scale at quarter=250, and hit some fffff Cmaj chords at the end. I've heard him play Grieg's piano concert in Am once (with SF Symphony), and he was great (the first movement's cadenza was stunning!). Chopin? Nope, not for him...

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Re: Winter Wind difficulty. 25/11 would be extremely tough to perform all the way though at the proper tempo and volume. In my recording Ashkenazy, while doing a good job, practically comes to a stop in places. Now, I can't prove it's an energy-conservation tactic since the rubato is well-placed and it is a high-quality performance, but I can suspect it...

Read Friedheim's intro to it if you don't believe me. WW is very tough, physically. I imagine the hand cramping up from fatigue.

EDIT: Not saying don't attempt it!!! Just be prepared for some serious calisthenics if you want it close to what it should sound like, unless you're a pro. But then everyone is expecting this anyways, so why should I pick on 25/11? I guess because Freidheim does...

Don't click here!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
May I have two? Op.10 No.5 and Op.10 No.9, please.

If it's only allowed one, then Op.10 No.5.

Okey... I just read that two pieces are not allowed, so I go for the Black Key Etude.

Thank you.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by AQP87:
May I have two? Op.10 No.5 and Op.10 No.9, please.

If it's only allowed one, then Op.10 No.5.

Okey... I just read that two pieces are not allowed, so I go for the Black Key Etude.

Thank you.
Isn't it "One performer per piece" and not "One piece per performer"? I'd say we should allow multiple pieces per performer IF nobody else wants them.

How about this for a policy:

Just say what you #1 preference is, then somebody else can take your second choice is they want to participate.

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission