2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I watched a DVD last night called: "Piano Grand: A Smithsonian Celebration" (probably made in 2000). A musical tribute to the 300th anniversary of the invention of the piano. I had to get it from Netflix.

Any lovers of the piano (and that includes all of us, right?) MUST rent out this movie. It will blow you away.

Billy Joel (and he sings Piano Man) is host and he introduces many, many performers playing all kinds of music from classical to jazz to a mixture of gospel and new age, as a tribute to the invention of the greatest of all musical instruments. What a movie!

What was so interesting (to me, of course) is that Billy Joel, himself, said that no composer has EVER topped Chopin. And that Billy himself was classically trained AND he loved classical music. So maybe this might answer a few questions here or there about the wisdom of learning classical music if one wants to play jazz, etc.

Dave Brubeck (of "Take Five" fame) astounded me when, before he played, he memtioned a trip he made to Poland and how he visited Chopin's home and museum and how emotionally affected he was by it all.

He then went on to say that ALL jazz pianists owed so much to him and what an influence Chopin's music has had on them.

THEN, unbelievably, he said because he thought so highly of the Polish poet, he wanted to pay homage to him. So Mr. Brubeck played his own composition ala Chopin called "Dziekuje" ...Thank You (in Polish). I was astounded to say the least. It was a beautiful piece, started off classical with all the touches and nuances of a Chopin composition and then in the middle, some pure Brubeck...but bringing out the melody as Chopin would have loved.

Please, please give yourself a treat and watch the DVD if you can get it. Not for the Chopin, but for all the other music and for the celebration of the instrument that we love.

Regards,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
sounds like a really wothwhile watch Kathleen, doubt I'd get it here i Australia, but i'll try.

BTW, you may already know, but Billy Joels love for classical is so profound he released his own album of classical compositions called Fantasies & Delusions, written by Joel, played by Richard Joo see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasies_%26_Delusions

Here is a write up which discusses the influence of Chopin on his classical writing
http://www.gregsandow.com/billyjoel.htm

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I have the DVD and have watched it many times. It is super!

I purchased my copy from Amazon.com. Perhaps it's available from Amazon in Australia as well.

I'm happy you enjoyed it so much, Kathleen. smile

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you so much, Stephenc. No, I didn't know about Billy's devotion to classical music. But it doesn't really surprise me.

While there have been many, many wonderful well-known piano players who can't or didn't know how to read music, they are in the minority. Most will readily admit that knowledge of theory and a strong classical background have given them a "step-up."

I'll read Joel's comments right now. Thanks again,

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Stephenc: Very interesting about Billy Joel. smile Almost reminded me a little of how Chopin, later on in his life, wanted to "break out of the box," so to speak in his composing and started writing extremely "modern" music. And Billy wanting to break his mold and try something new and going back to something "old"...classical music. Good for him!

Lisztner: Good tip about ordering the DVD from Amazon. yippie

Kathleen

Thanks for that review Kathleen, that sounds like a must watch DVD. In pop music it's not just Billy Joel who was classically trained but Elton John also. Coincidence that arguably the 2 best piano pop musicians were classically trained ?

You are right that so many famous piano players have started with a classical background before going on to other endeavors. Here's a great example: Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea play MOZART(K.365:1.Allegro)

The tough part I find starting to play piano as an adult is if you do not have a real passion for classical music it's virtually impossible to convince yourself to learn classical so that in 7 years time you'll have a great foundation for moving into what you really want to play. Ahh if I knew then what I know now....

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Kathleen! I just put that video at the top of my Netflix queue!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
It's been a while, but I also recall that dvd featured a jazz player doing a jazzy bach-inspired piece and a bunch of kids doing a heart and soul round???

-cheers!!!
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I'm sorry Deep Elm, but I couldn't hear the You-tube site you gave. frown

I agree that starting as a adult or even coming back after a long absence, has to be a decision of what is the most expedient way to get where you want to be. :rolleyes:

Years and years of classical training certainly won't hurt, but you could be using that time learning to play the music you enjoy. Strangely, I find some arrangements of the old standards (Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, I'll Be Seeing You) more difficult than some of the moderately difficult classical compositions I've been learning.

I know that if I just concentrated on recognizing and learning certain chords/progressions and patterns used in most pop music, I would be a much better player in that genre than in classical.

I do think if it weren't for my passion for Chopin's music, I would definitely be playing Gershwin, Rogers and Hammerstein, and Cole Porter.

I hope you enjoy it IrishMak. smile

Kathleen

M
M
Only $175 for a used copy on Amazon!

Amazon link

Perhaps there are only a few of these left on the planet.

- Moe

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Holy Cow! That's unbeliveable. I thought it was priceless but purely for entertainment value. Seems it has monetary value also.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,Thanks for that dvd info-a must have.After reading alot of your posts I thought I would share an old radio program I stumbled across.It's a Lux radio broadcast from 1941 of a movie called "Lost Horizon". http://www.freeotrshows.com/otr/l/Lux_Radio_Theater.html If you scroll down you'll see the title by the date 1941-9-15,click on that and it will play on your windows player.After two minutes of ads it starts in on the story where a man is playing a "Lost Chopin Piece"I don't know if this was a famous movie or not but 65 years later Chopin is still reverberating.Regards Mike

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission