2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1024809 07/29/07 10:58 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
I just finished listening to Mel/Dannylux's beautiful version of this piece, so I'm thinking about putting it on my "near future" list. My question is to Mel or anyone who has learned this: How hard is it to play this? It doesn't sound like the notes are fast or impossible, but I always worry when I hear a piece that has lots of chords that form the melody--I'm afraid I'll make it sound like a march instead of the beautiful, delicate piece I've listened to.

Does anyone know if this was originally written for piano, or is the version in my book a piano score adapted from a full orchestral work?

Mel, this was gorgeous. I'm so glad Sandy mentioned it in a different thread or I would have missed it.

Thanks,

Nancy

Estonia 168
#1024810 07/30/07 06:38 AM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What a good choice Nancy ... "Pavane for a Dead Princess" by Ravel ... judge the difficulty for yourself.

Here's the first page to get you under way ...

web page

You might like to know that the inspiration for this work was the large Velazquez canvas (1656) called "Las Meninas" in the Prado, Madrid ...
which enchanted Ravel.

The jagged chord interaction of Ravel's opening measures immediately captures the sad mood of his brief glimpse of a bygone era ... the sheer
loneliness of the regal lifestyle ...while saying "we have it all" ... and yet perhaps the yawning boredom of really having nothing ...thus Ravel reaching out over the centuries to honour a Dead Princess with a last Spanish Dance. Here's "Las Meninas" ... a picture tells a thousand words!

web page

#1024811 07/30/07 07:16 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks very much, Nancy. Very kind of you.

You're completely right, the piece is not difficult to get the notes. But just keep on practicing it and you'll be able to play it in a smooth and flowing manner.

My playing certainly sounded clunky while I was learning the Pavane over the course of a number of months. When it finally felt secure in my fingers, I was able to relax and eventually, let it flow.

I'm happy with the recording in my signature.

There's an earlier recording I submitted for Recital II. It's a minute slower than my later version and is more like a Dead Pavane for a Princess, rather than a Pavane for a Dead Princess.

Ravel composed the piano solo version in 1899 when he was a student at the Paris Conservatoire. He orchestrated it in 1910, so the piano solo is the original version.

I'd highly recommend that you start learning it. I think you'll find that the first seven lines are fairly easy. I roll the 10ths in the second half of page 2. The middle section, starting on page 3, I learned without the grace notes and then added them later. The timing is tricky. Page 4 is fun.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
#1024812 07/30/07 09:09 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
btb--Thanks for the history of this piece and the link to the painting. I really enjoyed your explanation, and I think it will help me as I start to work on this.

Mel--I laughed at your "Dead Pavane" comment. I've felt that way about a few of my pieces, also. I appreciated your hints on learning it.

I have a piece picked out for my teacher's adult Christmas recital (Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor, which I've been off and on with since January), so I was looking for a spring recital piece. I always have trouble deciding on something that I think people will enjoy hearing and at the same time be fun for me to work on. I think I've found it!

Nancy

Estonia 168
#1024813 07/30/07 09:23 AM
I have tried this piece several times over the last couple of years. The first couple of pages are not out of reach, although they are difficult to play well. The piece gets much harder about halfway through.

This may be one of those kinds of pieces where I -- finally -- only play part of the piece. Fortunately, the first page does not sound too bad played alone. The haunting melody of the first two staves is my favorite part.

Good luck. You may find it more difficult than some of the respondents would let you believe.

[Same person as former Glyptodont -- Some sort of system problem with forum.]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission