2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
J
I'm with HermanM - out of respect for the instrument.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by HermanM:
How many recitals by professionals have I seen where they wipe the keyboard down with a cloth right before playing - maybe they've got an issue with sticky keyboards too.
Maybe not sticky, but oily (from finger oils). Oily keyboards would be a problem since the fingers would have less grip but not sticky ones.

L
L
Has anyone seen the lysol commercial where the mom has two little kids playing her piano, then she takes a can of lysol and douses the entire keyboard. Yikes!

Oh, and to the question, no, it never occurred to me to do so. I'm the only one who plays and I have little kids who require multiple diaper changes so I wash my hands about 300 times a day anyhow.

I usually do only after playing with my dog smile , except for those few days a month when he's actually clean.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I wash my hands, and my keyboard, everytime before playing.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Always wash my hands first. Just an automatic habit.

Frank B.: I read somewhere that Arthur Rubinstein preferred to play unwashed piano keys because he felt it gave him a better grip on the keys. But I, like yourself, prefer washed keys. They just feel better to me that way. However, I find washing then about once a week is sufficient for my needs. (I'd guess regular hand washing helps in this regard.)

(watch this space)
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes.

But what is funny - for me - is I live in a shack (let's call it a studio) with holes in the walls. My computer keyboard and screen have layers of moon dust. I will stop there.

But the grand piano is cover with a beautiful piano cover that came with the piano, keys are exposed only when I play - else closed. The piano "lid" will remain closed until I can play Fur Else. And then only to play special pieces I have learned.

I keep the keys covered of the keyboards - and now that I have a piano I generally wash before playing the keyboards, too.

Fingerprints are created by oils released from the skin, but I don't need oil on the keys to move around!
So I like to key "it" clean.

I would hate to slip on a key, sharp or flat, of an otherwise perfect performance as a beginner ! ! ! - even though I never have an audience.

S
S
I play so badly, I wash my hands after I play.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
No, not unless my hands feel dirty. But like signa, my hands are usually pretty clean and I can't stand any dirt on my piano keys.

1989 Baldwin R
S
S
Originally Posted by Stephen300o
I play so badly, I wash my hands after I play.

That was funny smile
I wash my hands often before playing. I don't like a slippery keyboard...
How do you guys clean the keyboard? Can alcohol swipes be used or only water and soap ?

Kawai CA65
M
M
I've resolved to not use a hose to clean either my motorcycle or my piano.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Short answer, no.
While i wouldn't play any piano with dirty hands, dry hands trump washed hands. It's a violin thing. Depending on the weather, it can take hours for my hands to dry completely.
Also, this is not a public piano. Aren't escalator rails the nastiest things? Sorry for the OT. smile

nada
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I don't make a point of it, but I may have randomly washed my hands before playing.
Having said that, I don't remember the last time I had a cold, or gastro.

Life's too short...

Rob
B
B
I always wash my hands.

Part of me it is habit. Getting into the piano playing mood, so to speak.

The other reason... in my student days I worked at a call center, luckily one of the better once. They took great pains to clean the computer keyboards and computer mice, due to studies about the transmission of illnesses at the work place. Those studies showed that between sharing a bathroom, sharing keyboard and computer mice and shaking hands, the most common way to catch a cold from somebody was to share keyboard and computer mice, then shake hands and sharing bathrooms came last.

So, a lot more than we like to think sticks to those things. That kinda stuck in my head. So the idea is basically to make sure there is as little as possible to leave behind before I touch the keys.

And yeah - it is also out of respect for the instrument....

Currently working on: Venetian Gondola song by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
No, only when they feel or look dirty

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Only when I visit my teacher. I ride to her on a bicycle which is always left outside. And I never clean my bicycle. I always clean my hands after riding my bike anyways.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I'm not in any other sense obsessed with cleanliness, but I am regarding the piano keyboard. I wash my hands before every practice session, and I wipe down the keys at least every other day.

Maybe I just have oily fingers, but I definitely notice an increased slipperiness on the black keys if I go even one day without cleaning the keys.

The fewer obstacles I have, the better!

I agree with FarmerJones, though, that when it comes to playing my stringed instrument, I'm much more sensitive to problems of wet hands than any issues about cleanliness. I hate to touch the strings on my bass -- or even the bow -- when my hands are wet.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 11/16/12 01:46 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I've had some guests who seemed to think I was neurotic about the piano because I wouldn't let them put their drinks down on it. Guess I can tell them they're lucky I don't make them wash their hands!

1989 Baldwin R
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I do wash my hands if I haven't done it recently. But that presents a problem, because during the winter time my hands get so dry that my fingertips are really slippery. So I wash my hands, put lotion on them and then end up washing them again because I don't want that on the keys frown

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I never do unless my hands are truly dirty (working in the yard or on my cars etc.). But then, I'm the only one playing it.

When I worked for a school district once, a Science class swabbed various things in the buildings, analyzed the results and found that the computer lab keyboards were the filthiest things in the school. Interestingly enough, the bathroom facilities were among the cleanest, whatever that means. Maybe it means most people wash their hand there but not in the computer labs.

After that, all the computer teachers cleaned the keyboards with alcohol pads in between classes.

I guess if I had a piano studio or lots of people playing my piano, my priorities would change.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission