2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,091 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1019385 12/13/08 09:06 PM
OP Offline
I thought it might be a good time to discuss who you will be sharing your piano talent with this holiday season...

I'll start: I plan to play Heart Break Hotel and Carol of the Bells at our Christmas Recital. I'd love to visit a nursing home and play for them.... but, maybe next year.

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
My teacher hosts a recital twice a year for her adult students. We all bring a dish and have wine and dinner after playing. It's a lovely evening.

I'm playing a duet with her by Gershwin--Rialto Ripples--and the Scriabin Etude Opus 2, #1. Nothing really Christmas-y, but the Scriabin is a gorgeous piece I'm excited about sharing with the group.

Nancy

Estonia 168
C
C
I'll be playing my father-in-law's terrible piano (broken keys and horribly out of tune) for my family on Christmas eve. I'm playing "Bring A Torch." Playing at a nursing home is a great idea, but I think I'll wait until I have several Christmas pieces until I do that(so, next year). Maybe I'll go with my nephew, who is quite good at the violin.

Pianist and mom to three awesome kids (and budding musicians).
I won't be playing anywhere frown
Lol, maybe one day! haha
There's always YouTube though!! smile

http://youtube.com/phillipmills

-----------------------------
http://www.phillipmills.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Last Christmas when visitors called they all said 'Hey, who's learning to play the piano' and 'Go on, give us a song'. I had to bow my head and say 'I'm still learning'.

One year later I will be able to happily sit down and play at least SIX pieces for anyone that calls.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As for now, I play for myself and a small selection of my family. I am still not proficient after all and I wouldn't like to force anyone to listen to me. smile

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
G
G
I play for me, even when there is an audience.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by phillipmills:
I won't be playing anywhere frown
Lol, maybe one day! haha
There's always YouTube though!! smile

http://youtube.com/phillipmills
Phillip, if I had your talent my friend - I would be playing in public as often as possible, you are talented!!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What Mati said.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Now that my Christmas shopping is done, thanks to the internet, I'd like to record and post something for everyone at ABF.

It'll either be Vasily Kalinnikov's utterly charming little Waltz, or Manuel Ponce's juanty Guateque.

I have a feeling it will be whichever has the fewer crashed notes.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There's a great irony here. When I returned to the piano after a thiry year hiatus four years ago the height of my ambition was to be able to plunk out a few carols the next Christmas. Now we no longer celebrate Christmas and classical piano has taken over my life.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have two very easy books of Christmas music that I have been playing for myself, and will play for family if asked. (I probably won't be asked). When I go to my son's house on the day after Christmas, I hope to play some with my granddaughter like we did at Thanksgiving. We were in another room, and I don't know if anyone else was listening. This time maybe we can put on a little "concert". I wish I had thought to get an easy Christmas duet book for us.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I will be playing for myself - HA!

philip - I just saw a few of your youtube videos - wow, you are so very talented.

The most frustrating and exhilarating thing I have ever tried to do
My family! As I replied in a different post, each Christmas morning after presents (ever since I began learning piano), my family gathers in the living room to listen to me play the Christmas pieces that I've been working on. And sometimes they sing to them (Twelve Days of Christmas is pretty catch, you know? - hehe)
I wish I had been able to participate in my teacher's Christmas recital, but it fell right in the middle of my junior exam period. frown Those are kind of important, so I had to say home and study. Sadness...

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I've made a CD and copies of nine recorded pieces that I am sending to family members this Christmas. I lost a brother this past week. One of my nieces asked me about my piano play since the CD had been played in the funeral home as a tribute to my brother. I directed her to a YouTube site where three of my pieces are posted. She wrote an email to me telling me how wonderful it was to hear me play after not seeing me for so many years. That warmed my heart. Most of my nieces and nephews do not have pianos, yet do have CD players. I hope all will enjoy my play over the holidays and I hope that helps to keep alive fond memories of their father and his youngest brother.

OP Offline
My deepest sympathy to you and you family for the loss of your brother. It is wonderful that you can share your talent with your family to bring them comfort in this time of sorrow.

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
My condolences, Lisztener.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Glaswegian:
I play for me, even when there is an audience.
At first, when I saw the thread title I too thought that this was a deeper metaphysical question. wink

Well, I get to do something this holiday season that I have never done before. The music director at our church is a very talented singer (and NEC graduate). I asked her if she wouldn't mind if my son and I, along with another friend, could play the Brahms Geistliches Wiegenlied at some point (the two horns & piano version).

She fell in love with the piece. It was originally written for piano, violin, and voice (I think). We just excised one of the horn parts and replaced it with the vocal line. Voila, our own horn, piano and voice version.

So, we'll be performing it twice next Sunday. If I get a clean recording, perhaps I'll post it. Getting the chance to play ensemble with a real pro (and with my son as well) is quite a treat. The piano part was a bear for me to learn. It's almost like Brahms met Bach. The intricacy of Bach polyphony and the complexity of romantic melodic voicing.

holiday cheers!

P.S. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Lisztener.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lisztener,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your brother. My thoughts are with you.

Sophia

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Lisztener, you have my thoughts and prayers as you and your family deal with your loss. I know your family are enjoying that CD immensely. I always love to listen to your contributions to the forum.;

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission