2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Randy88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anybody ordered the "Pattern Piano and Keyboard" lessons by David Sprunger?? I was over at pianoforum.net which linked my over to his site. I was wondering if anybody had any testimonials, either good or bad, with regards to the course.
Thanks
Randy

Some people cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go----Oscar Wilde
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Randy,

I'm a piano/keyboard book/course junkie and this was one I purchased a couple of years ago. David's approach is to teach accompinament (not solo piano). He desicrebes a series of progressively more intricate left and right hand patterns and demonstrates the application of those patterns using the chord progressions of some well known songs. His idea is to demonstrate that with a library of patterns and a good knowledge of chords, one can accompany a singer without ever needing to learn to read music. If this is what you are interested in, then this is a VERY good introduction.

BTW:

David has an amazing singing voice which makes going through his DVD/tape a real pleasure.

Rodney

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Heheheh...Rodney, I just can't help but notice that you seem to have tried *every* method/program/book/course/instructional method ever published! You really are a great resource for people looking for material--I think you've been able to respond to questions on every program mentioned thus far!

edit: How would Sprunger compare/contrast with the Keyboard Accompaniment Course?

markb--The Count of Casio
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
markb,

It drives my wife nuts... ;-)

Seems like every week I'm getting another book/DVD/course/package in the mail that I just can't wait to open, browse through and then shelve in the collection. Pretty sure I've got them all (at least the inexpensive ones... but they do add up). Oh wait,.... I don't have the Sudnow method, so I guess I'll need to order another one.

This course is definately geared towards people who can't read music at all and have NO interest in playing clasical. The book is short with only a couple of tunes and he works out about 15 patterns. and a few chords. I guess the idea is that once he teaches the approach, you should go off and learn the rest on your own. I enjoyed the DVD/book and still find myself using some of the patterns learned when noodling around.

His method requires that you (or someone else sings/plays the melody) as this is pure accompinament. Doesn't really work for me as my singing voice is akin to a toad. :-))

BTW:

This course goes well with John Axsom's pattern course:

http://users.wireweb.net/green/pianolessons.htm

John includes a lot more patterns but expects you to have a little more skill in reading music.

Rodney

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So far, I've exercised *some* restraint by not buying everything out there. But at least I have Sudnow (in addition to KAC and Lead Lines and Chord Changes, both of which you previously discussed)! And now you're forcing me to check out Axsom's pattern course.

Randy88 Offline OP
OP Offline
Rodney...thanks for the response. I do in fact want to learn to read and play music to a high level (seems like an impossible task). I do however see the utility in gathering other skills such as understanding and utilizing chord progressions. If this course will give me some more tools for the toolbox then it is certainly worthwhile. I'll likely give it a try...
Thanks
Randy

Some people cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go----Oscar Wilde
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Speaking of Sudnow, if anyone is finished with the course and looking to sell their copy of the DVD/CDs, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Rodney

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And that would complete your set, eh Rodney? wink

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Not even close,... there is a tonne of crap out there that I haven't even begun to dig in to. ;-)

The reality is I'm spending so much time working on sight reading and technique that I have NO time to even use the other material I have. I'll get back to some of the others after I get this sight reading thing down (does that mean never??).

The discussion on the forum has me curios though so I'd like to take a look at the course.

Rodney

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi guys

Just to add my 2 cents here

I have purchased quite a few courses this past 18 months and I have also purchased the "David Sprunger Pattern Piano" course.

I cannot sing either frown ...so, I'm afraid it has been left alone until the day I need to learn how to accompany a good singer...although I must say his blues course play-a-long thingy is purdy good IMHO.

I also tried "hear and play" and that involves learning to harmonize every melody note with inversions ...and has also been left on the back burner...just way too much work for me to get my head around...I'll probably re-visit the course sometime in the future.

So far the best course for me has been pianomagic.com which has the benefit of daily help within its forums from Mike and the members (including me wink ). If you want to learn how to play by ear melody and chords then I cannot recommend it enough smile

If you want to learn how to play jazz piano?...there is a lot of good stuff at "learnjazzpiano.com"

regards

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Seaside, I was hoping you could provide some information about pianomagic.com. I checked out the site but wouldn't mind hearing from you a brief description of how the course is organized, what it entails, etc. At this point, nothing's going to replace my lessons, but I'd like to have the ability to provide an accompaniment to popular music.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi markb

Mikes course is probably very different to any other course that is out there? It is *his* method of playing that he devised and it is the way he has played since a child.

It wasn't until he had a dream over 10 years ago that he finally realized how he could show people how to see music like he sees it ...how most songs are very similar and how they mainly follow similar rules (some people get IT within weeks others like me are slower and get IT in a few months)

He teaches you to play by ear ...how to work out the melody line and the chords ...how to play with rhythm and differing rhythms. He teaches you how music thinks which, will free you from sheet music if that is what you want?

The basics are very easy to pick up smile ...the course is structured in a way that playing should always be fun and to be frank it is the most fun I've ever had! (I am now addicted to playing the piano...I need my daily fix...I'm grouchy when I don't play it..heck, I even visit other piano forums! and it has cost me a fortune in new pianos! wink )

IMHO the main value of pianomagic is the member forums where everyone who posts there is learning to play in the same way and will help you (or me) get to where we want to be...Mike answers any questions you have through the forums (also by email or you can even phone him!)and everyone gets to learn along with you(I have asked loads of questions and Mike and the gang have helped me all the way).

Its a little like having your own private piano teacher 24/7... he encourages you to send him recordings so, he can help guide you and if they are good enough they get posted in the recital hall for everyone to comment (praise or constructively criticize)

I presently have 13 songs laugh in the recital hall which actually timeline and demonstrate my ever improving ability and the ability of all the other members for all newbies to hear which is very encouraging.

When I joined pianomagic I hadn't touched a piano for over 30 years and my only memories of piano were my scary piano teacher and her 120 year old mother rocking in a chair behind me during lessons and my dear mum (who is probably watching down on me now with pride) insisting that I practise for 1/2 an hour most days.

I packed in the piano a long time ago and have regretted it all my adult life...my 5 year old son starting lessons was the flame that rekindled my yearning to play myself and remembering that as child I tried in vain to play by ear accidently led me to "pianomagic" which for me was a very fortunate accident.

Hope that helps?

regards

Lee

P.S.

If you would like to hear how I can play? ...just email me and "I'll put my money where my mouth is" wink and gladly send you some midis of my latest stuff ( honestly...if I can do it anyone can!)

Originally posted by markb:
At this point, nothing's going to replace my lessons, but I'd like to have the ability to provide an accompaniment to popular music.
Mark, I can sense that you are weakening, about to buy yet another "play by ear" type piano course. O.K., I would try to talk you down, but I am tempted myself . . .

Doug

"The secret to staying calm in a crisis is not having all the facts."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Darn that Rodney! I just keep hoping against hope that there's somebody or something out there that can teach me how to play this blasted instrument!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
markb

I can't stress enough ...*he will* yippie and when you get IT! and learn how music thinks...all those other courses you've bought will just be extra ammunition ...why don't you try phoning him wink

Lee smile

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
:-))

So I'm not the only "method/course" junkie out there.

While I keep looking for the magic bullet that will make playing this thing easier, there doesn't appear to be enough time to try out these cure-alls. I'm already practicing 2 hours a day (every day) just to make tiny little improvements, or at least prevent from going backwards.

Lee has almost got me sold on purchasing/signing up for yet another one but I just can't imagine how I would find the time.

The funny thing is that I'm sure I would enjoy, and progress a lot quicker with these alternative methods. I'm so stubborn/thick skulled/pig headed/intense/... (did I miss any) that I just can't admit that classical training might not be right for me.

The first (alternative) book I purchased was "How to Play from a Fake Book" and within a few hours at the keyboard (after reading the first few chapters) I was performing something that sounded remarkably like music (at least to my ears) and I was having fun doing it. Even now it can take me 2 weeks or more to learn a new (grade 3) piece that is comprised of only 16-20 bars using classical training (reading grand staff sheet music) and the fun only begins after the 2 weeks when it starts to come together.

I've switched to focusing on sight reading but it doesn't feel like I'm making any progress because it still takes the same time to get a simple piece up to speed.

I think that one has to choose a method that works for them and stick with it. All of these courses have merit and will likely work if given the right amount of dedication, focus and practice.

I'm now off to browse the pianosmagic.com web site as it might just be time to expand my collection of methods waiting on the shelf for that extra free time that never seems to come.

Rodney

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You make some good points, Rodney. For those of us with limited time (and I'm sure that's pretty much all of us), we really need to focus on what makes us happy. I think I'm going to talk to my teacher at tomorrow's lesson and see if we can restructure the lessons so I'm doing a popular/classical mix. I suppose this will detract from really getting good in either one, but I can't see focusing almost exclusively on one, and I think learning any style of music will have at least some benefit in learning the other. I also can't see giving up traditional lessons. I had pretty much standard clarinet, drum, piano, and guitar lessons, so it would be difficult to change my ways, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be my best course, anyway.

Of the several "alternative" books and methods I've explored, I've learned a little something different from each one.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
For those who enjoy the "Chord method"/"Faking"/"Playing by Ear",... there is a great tutorial on learning all the chords you could ever want at:

http://psrtutorial.com/Resources/R_ChordSecrets/r_chordsecrets.html

Rodney

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You know what guys?

I often browse this site and I join in a few of the threads and I'm afraid it does make me sad when I hear of how many of you struggle and how your practise time sounds like torture ...hannon this?...scale that?

It doesn't have to be that way....I promise...once you start to see what I can see ...its like riding a bike and the torture is over!

Then the only problem is you'll be like me wink ...I just can't play enough...keyboard at work (I own a gym) and CLP170 at home ...24 hour days are just not enough...grrrr!

Lee

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Alright, Lee, fess up. You get a kickback from pianomagic, yes? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission