2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I was wondering if anybody else uses The Older Beginner Piano Course By James Bastien? I am really enjoying it and it progresses quickly. There are several companion books with it depending on your taste. I am using Classic Themes.

My blog such as it is http://melissasjourneys.blogspot.com
L
L
Hi Melissa.

I am using the Bastien books. I did not know that there are companion books other than the theory workbook. I will have to check it out.

OP Offline
There are 4. Classic Themes by the Masters, Religious Favorites, Easy Piano Classics and Solo Repertiore. My teacher purchased Classic Themes for me I think she got it at Sam Ash.

OP Offline
oops double post. Sorry

L
L
Melissa,

I just ran a search on those and they look great. I will definitely get the one that you have.
My son has worked through the Bastien books for kids and they are good as well.

Are you on book one or book 2?

Cindy

OP Offline
I am on book one. Pg.41 to be exact. Those chords are driving me nuts.

L
L
Hate to tell you this but it doesn't get any easier.
You'll be surprised though how quickly you get better at it.

My fourth fingers and my pinkies are really very weak. I know they are getting stronger but it can be frustrating when working on bigger chords.

We'll get there though smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Melissa,

I've also been using the Bastien's Older Beginner Piano Course (I did try for a "Really Really Old Beginner Course" but nobody seemed to do one. wink )

My copies are about 30 years old and had been gathering dust since a friend gave them to me about 20 years ago. So it's a bit faded and moth eaten - but the information is still fine. I've now got a number of other books too (including Alfreds's) but James Bastien was the one who took me through all the early steps. I still enjoy playing Careless Love from book 1, and in fact played it again yesterday.

I've got a couple of Bastien 'Musicianship' ('Technic', sight reading etc) support books, but not the others that you mentioned, so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Melissa,

You are right. Sam Ash does sell the books. I may want to give them a try. I am using Alfred's and would like to see the difference between the two.

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
Just started teaching myself last week and I'm using this version of Bastien:

Beginning Piano For Adults

is this the same one you guys are using??

- Zak

OP Offline
This is the version I am using Older Beginner\'s Piano course I am on level one.

What about everybody else?

HI Melissa,

I will have to try and find that book next time I am out and about. I am taking 1/2 hr lessons once a week and my teacher has me doing kids books. I would like to take a peak at adult books. I will be finishing "Teaching little fingers to play" and "John Schaum piano course pre-A The green book" next week. Im thinking that I would like to maybe work on an Adult book at the same time. Then maybe I can join everyones discussions, I feel like I am the only adult beginner doing kids books and taking lessons. I think I need to get with the program here!!! I flew through those two kids books mentioned above in 4 lessons.

Does anyone out there think that doing kids books with my teacher and adult books on my own might be a little crazy?????

Thanks for your time, AspenX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
Just a quick note about my above reply, I started a new thread with that same question.

Thanks, AspenX

Sorry about crashing in on your thread, Melissa.

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
This is a good start. My first teacher had me use this and with my second teacher we worked half way thru book 2 before jumping to Frederick Harris's Celebration Series. I can't say enough good things about The Celebartion Series (they now call it The Celebration Series Perspectives). For me Bastien was a good start but Celebration while being a significant jump has a great deal to offer. It is very left hand intensive, not a lot of chords here. I had a very hard time with it at first.

My opinion, start with Bastien and jump to Celebration when ready. Celebration is a graded program and it offers CDs which you can listen to.

You can buy Bastien or Celebration at PianoatPepper. I like PianoatPepper because they have free shipping and free is good. If they don't have what I want on their web site I send them a mail and they have always been able to come up with an order number. Very friendly people to talk with on the telephone as well. No, I do not work for them nor own the company.

http://www.frederickharrismusic.com/fhmcUS/Frederick.jsp

http://www.pianoatpepper.com/catalog/pap_index.jsp

Have fun,
Steve

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
Thank you Stevester,

I have added you rtwo links to my "favorites" and I will look into them. I am enjoying the kids books alot. But I was kinda surprised when my Piano Tuner made a comment about them being for kids.
Thanks!!!!
AspenX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Aspen,

It sounds like you are serious.

Lessons are important. I worked on my own for three years which was a mistake. While I made good progress for the first two years the third year was a waste. I then searched for a teacher, the first one I had had a bad attitude and did not like teaching and in my opinion was not very good at it. I did find a good one who is reasonably priced after asking just about everyone I know. I now take a 45 minute lesson every two weeks and I see steady and solid progress. She helps me with the liltte things I would not be able to pick up on my own.

I would also suggest you get hold of the Harvard Dictionay of Music. It was recommended on the forum several years ago and when I first got it I thought it was a waste of money buy I now use it for notation, etc. You can probably get it at your library.

http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Dicti...mp;s=books&qid=1211506044&sr=1-1

Yes, get away from the kid stuff as quick as you can. It has its place but you have to push yourself to move on. Don't be surprised if you end up looking for another teacher in the process. My teacher pushes me very hard, she would not have let me stay in kids material very long.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
I am also using monsiuer James Bastien Ive got adult book 1 and Ive got his simplified Joplin book........ They are awesome the entire collection is like 70 books ...

FBP

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission