2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1014012 01/11/09 03:50 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

Just a bit of an update. I know that it's just a tiny baby step, still, my progress nevertheless.

I've finally finished with my Alfred's All-In-One, level 1 book after almost ten months of self teaching, and plans to do a bit of a review before moving on to book 2.

My deepest gratitude and sincere thanks to everyone who have either directly or indirectly influenced and helped me in achieving my very first goal. It wouldn't have been made as easily possible, and certainly not as fun without the existence of this forum and all of its members. Thank you very much to each and everyone of you!

Now comes the hard part, help following are my versions and interpretations of three pieces for your entertainment, hopefully, instead of torture. I'm certain that my piano doesn't sound anything like a Steinway D or a Bosendorfer Victoria laugh but I don't really care for the tinny sounds of these MIDI recordings. And it certainly doesn't help in representing my playing abilities any, but that's another issue. I hope I've uploaded these files correctly since this is my very first attempt at using box.net.

And of course I would be deeply grateful for any comments and suggestions as to how I can better improve upon these pieces as well as my techniques.

Best regards and thank you for listening!

Key Notes smile

Scarborough Fair

Raisins and Almonds

The Entertainer

Music speaks where words fails.
#1014013 01/11/09 04:26 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats! I've not even finished Alfred's Book One! wink

I sorta cheated and went off to learn some easy Einaudi pieces instead. I did manage to play a few more Alfred pieces but not all that many.

As for the midi recordings. They're going to sound different on just about every computer. They aren't the actual sounds that your piano was making. It's simply a digital representation of all the note presses, releases, pedal info, etc.

I did cheat and sent the midi data out to my digital piano so it didn't sound that bad.

Even if your playing abilities aren't perfect yet, at least compare things to how they were when you started and I bet you can see very clear progress! It is pretty hard to polish up pieces you know you won't be playing for all that long. That's been the benefit of the PW recitals so far. They really help me reach a goal of getting a full piece done.

Keep up the good work!

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
#1014014 01/11/09 08:19 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Key Notes - Congratulations!

Been there - done that - know exactly how you feel!

It's always satisfying and encouraging when you reach a significant milestone such as this. Good job! thumb

It wasn't that awfully long ago when I was finishing up Book 1 and "chomping at the bit" to get into Book 2, so I know how anxious and excited you must be to move "onward and upward".

And I've continued to monitor the Book 1 thread and have followed your progress thru your many posts there - from your first hesitant and nervous posts to the much more confidant and self-assured recent posts. And the really extra nice feature of many of your posts is how helpful and encouraging you've been - during your own struggles to learn - to the other budding pianist who come there to share their problems, thoughts and achievements. So, nice job with that also! thumb

As you move on you will find the pieces in Book 2 to be, for the most part, progressively more challenging (as you would expect), but also progressively more entertaining and enjoyable from a "musical" standpoint (as you would hope). But, whatever else you include in your practice routine don't forget to always go back and review pieces that you've worked on before, especially those that have given you some problems (and those you just simply enjoy playing for the sheer delight of it!)

So, congrats again on a job well done and have much fun with the pieces in Book 2! And continue to keep us updated on your progress in the Alfred 2 thread.

Finally, nice work on the 3 recorded pieces overall - you bring out the melody in each very well which is very important, of course, and the tempo on "Fair" is nice and steady - the latter 2 pieces perhaps need just a little more review work to even out the tempo, but you're almost there - and sounding real good!

Hope to hear from you in the upcoming Feb. 15th ABF Recital smile thumb

With Warm Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
#1014015 01/11/09 10:07 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations - big pat on the back thumb

I know myself I was very chuffed once I'd finished book #1 and was ready to tackle #2. As JF says, here are more rewarding pieces awaiting you in #2 and the theory is lighter (since you've covered a lot in #1).

I'd also agree the Entertainer needs a little work on the tempo and some of the notes. Not sure though if the AIO #1 has a different version to mine (my first 2 books are separate theory and lesson)

Anyhow, loved all 3 pieces and heck, I've not even recorded anything yet, nor reached over 500 posts smile

See you over on the #2 thread shortly smile
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
#1014016 01/11/09 10:14 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Key Notes! I hope to put up a similar post when I finish Book One. Great !

#1014017 01/11/09 11:29 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, and well done, Key Notes! I enjoyed your little "graduation concert". Scarborough Fair sounded terrific, and like JF mentioned, the other two need a bit more work to get them up to speed, but you are so close. I was really impressed with The Entertainer. Even though a little slow, you really captured the "feel" of it. I think that's going to be a fun one to learn. I've still got a ways to go in Book 1, and I hope you aren't going to leave us totally behind. As I get into the last several songs I really need the help and encouragement of those who have just recently "been there". Please continue to check in with us in the Book 1 thread from time to time.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
#1014018 01/11/09 11:32 AM
wj3 Offline
Congratulations Key Notes on completing Level one. I haven't finished book one yet myself but I am almost there. I enjoyed all 3 pieces as well. My only comments is to work on your timing (one of my biggest problems), and don't cut off your eighth notes, give them there full time.
I am going to try to finish book one soon and hope to meet you over in the book 2 thread.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
#1014019 01/11/09 01:10 PM
Congratulations key Notes!!!!!!

That has to feel great!!!! Wow!!! And you sound great too. Just a little touch up on the last piece and you will be as "cool" as a cucumber. I am no-where near that smooth in my playing. Good job and keep up the great work. You give me hope.

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
#1014020 01/11/09 01:26 PM
D
D
Congratulations, a milestone indeed.
I couldn't get the entertainer to download, I will try later. Scarborough Fair was very good, I loved it, thumb
Onward and upward, see you down the road in the book 2 thread when I catch up.

#1014021 01/11/09 02:02 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Key Notes! That's a couple of major milestones indeed: finishing book 1, mastering box.net, posting public recordings, etc. You deserve a huge pat on the back. thumb

#1014022 01/11/09 04:43 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Great job Keynotes! Those were three of my favorites from Alfred's 1. If you don't already have it, I would recommend adding the Alfreds "All Time Favorites" supplemental book. It has 50 or 60 well known pieces at about the same level as the end of Alfreds 1. Playing them along with the method books really broadens your experience.

As for the midi recordings, they sound fine. But if you want to move to MP3s and better sounding piano Virtual Instruments (VSTs) or SoundFounts, Mahlzeit has provided a great doc on doing that:

http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/

#1014023 01/11/09 06:49 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats Key Notes! Those three pieces are my favorites from book 1 plus Amazing Grace. Well done...

Book 2 thread awaits you...

#1014024 01/11/09 07:19 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Key Notes,

Congratulations on the completion of level 1 book. That's a major achievement!. Now that you can also record and upload, it's a pleasure to hear you play. Great progress! thumb smile

Lisztener

#1014025 01/12/09 01:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Key Notes, that's a heck of an acheivement! I'm afraid I lost motivation and didn't play for about 6 months so I appreciate what it takes to stick with it!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
#1014026 01/12/09 01:20 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
HOORAY!!! Conagratulations!!!
Unfortunately I couldn't get the songs to play. I will try again though b/c I would love to hear them.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
#1014027 01/12/09 02:03 PM
Key Notes,

Congratulations on reaching your goal. I wish you many more successes as you continue on in your musical adventure. I really liked Scarborough Fair. You played it with feeling, I thought, and it brought back a time when I played this piece on guitar. Thank you for sharing this. Raisin and Almonds was also a pretty piece that you seemed to connect with and just needs a little polishing up. The Entertainer offers so many opportunities for developing independence between the hands and it is always fun to listen to. The tempo and accenting can be tricky, but you have a strong base to work with. Keep up your dedication and enjoy the results.

Andy

[Linked Image]
#1014028 01/13/09 12:56 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my recordings and for all of the wonderfully helpful feed-back, critiques, advise and generously kind comments.

I wasn't planning on uploading anything actually since I was kind of nervous, laugh even with a super friendly and understanding virtual audience, but I'm very glad that I did since you all had given me such fabulous input, advise and encouragements in the areas that needed to work on.

I realize that I still have quite a very long ways to go, but with such a wonderful network of support, I cannot be any happier with my musical pursuit. Yes, I definitely agree with many of your astute observations regarding the areas where I needed to work on, and plans to keep them in mind as I continue to further fine tune these pieces along with many of my future ones.

JF, You've always been there from the first page to the last, not to mention put up with many of my very tedious beginner's questions. I'm sure that you already know how much I've always appreciated your diligent and continual supports in this regard, so thanks once again for all of your great advise as well as the quick peek into what I can expect to see in book 2.

TTigg, I'm not sure if we have the same Entertainer version or not, but thank you for your fabulous input and comment as well, and for the additional informations regarding the lighter amount of theories in book 2. Looking forward to hearing some your recordings sometime soon. thumb

mom3gram, Thanks and glad that you enjoyed my mini amateur concert. laugh And not to worry, eventhough I've finished book 1, I'm sure that I'll still remain a beginner for quite a long time so of course I'll continue to visit all of my friends in book 1 thread as well.

wj3, I'll try not to cut off the eigth notes. Thanks. I can't wait to get to try my hands at some of the easier Bach pieces as well some day, maybe years? laugh

bluekeys, Good to know regarding the midi sound quality from your end. Thanks for the recommendations of the Alfred's "All Time Favorites" supplimental book, I'll certainly look into that sometime down the road as well. And thanks for the link to Mahlzeit's instructions on the other alternative ways to make recordings, I truly appreciate it! thumb

Dave123 and Kymber, I'm sorry that you couln't open the files. I don't know what happen but I hope that you'll be able to at some point.

Thank you so much once again everybody and may your musical journey filled you with joy and happiness always.

Best Regards,

smile Key Notes smile

#1014029 01/13/09 02:04 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Key Notes!

Gary
#1014030 01/13/09 02:17 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Gary Schenk! I hope that you've been enjoying your progress as well and hope that you'll be joining us in book 2 very soon!

Key Notes smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission