2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1013371 02/11/05 07:14 AM
hmr516 Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone here purchased this course. I am a beginner who has never played a note, and it looked interesting. If anyone one here has actually used this course, I would appreciate an explanation of how it works, and what methods are used to teach someone with no piano experience. Also, would they feel that a course like this is better then purchasing some beginner books on my own. I would like to learn some basics before I look for a piano teacher. Thanks.

#1013372 02/11/05 09:45 AM
B
B

#1013373 02/11/05 11:37 AM
hmr516 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, but I would still like information of the Piano Magic course if anyone has any.

#1013374 02/11/05 11:43 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There's a discussion of Piano Magic (and others) here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/554.html

markb--The Count of Casio
#1013375 02/11/05 12:30 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi

It works for me...works for hundreds of others too...loads of fun ...makes playing piano a lot easier than you ever thought possible

Will make those who have struggled with piano for years ...cry...when they finally get the bigger picture and learn how music thinks.

Ever wanted to sit down infront of family and friends and just play and play and play...tune after tune after tune...then Mike and the members will help you reach that goal!

NO...I'M NOT ON COMMISSION...before someone else asks...okay laugh ...LOL

I've said this to "markb" already... I've been a member there for about 16 months and have never had so much fun in my life (and the offer is extended to anyone else who wants to hear how I play in such a short space of time? ...just email me and I will gladly send you my latest midis for you to hear)

regards

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
#1013376 02/11/05 12:34 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
While I got your ear (again), Lee, what do you think the minimum daily practice time is to get any substantial benefit from Pianomagic? I could probably get about 1/2 hour a day to non-lesson material. Is that enough?

#1013377 02/11/05 01:17 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi mark laugh

1/2 an hour is fine...Mark it ain't like anything you have ever read before...it is so simple I cannot believe no-one has realized it before.

The big problem you will face though is that *YOU* won't want to play for only 1/2 hour a day...you will be like me like a child again just wanting to play and play and play ( which is not too good on your marriage though! wink )

Mark...I am trying my best to not make it sound "too good to be true" (and I know I am not doing too well in that respect shocked )because I know there are so many things in all walks of life that always seem that way ...and I have been duped into so many get rich quick schemes and bought into other things that have been a total waste of money for me frown

I am going to stop harping on about it ...you've heard the way I play and you liked it and that is honestly from nowhere to how I play today.

So its up to you ...I promise I'll be one of the many members there who'll welcome you into our secret world of playing piano easily and with more fun than you are ever going to believe!

regards

Lee

regards

#1013378 02/11/05 01:23 PM
hmr516 Offline OP
OP Offline
I hear everything you all say, but no one here has yet described in any kind of detail exactly as to what is involved. It may be new, it may be revolutionary, it may allow you to dance when you practice, or even learm while you sleep, but it would be nice if someone who uses that method to actually explain a little bit exactly how it works, what methods are used, what types of things should be practiced, etc. Thanks again.

#1013379 02/11/05 01:57 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi hmr516

I think Mike describes it better than I ever could :-

Scales do NOT sound like music. Playing scales too early (if ever) may actually hamper your progress at playing the music you can hum, whistle or sing.

Music is based on chords...not scales. As a result, scales do not sound like the tunes we hum, whistle or sing...chords do!

Hundreds of songs share the exact same chord pattern, and can be played with the exact same left hand movements from one song to the next. If you can play the left hand to just ONE of these songs, you can play the left hand to ALL of them.

Some chord patterns make it nearly impossible to play a wrong tone.
Even the tunes of many songs are similar...and sometimes they are identical.

When you understand how chords work, you'll be able to THINK like music.When you think like music, you can play most songs, with both hands, the first time you try ...even if you have never played before! How is this possible? It's magic...Piano Magic! It changed my life; it can change your life, too!

that about covers it I think laugh

My bit...

You will learn how and why chords move through a song so that you can see the similarities between many, many, many songs

You will learn rhythm patterns to supplement your melody and how to play them both hands together

You can have daily help if you need it from Mike and all the members to get you to where you want to be.

Within the private members section there is lots of overhead video and audio demonstrations to help you get *it!*... that, is all put together by Mike for his members.

I can't or don't want to force you to join...okay? the decision is yours ...I play that way and love it..thats really all I can say about it.

If you play really well already, enjoy reading sheet music, have found a great teacher, can play loads of songs at the drop of a hat, have fun already and find playing the piano easy don't join...if you don't have any of the above? do!

Lee

#1013380 02/11/05 02:52 PM
hmr516 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the answer, which basically was a repeat of the info as detailed on the website. I guess no one here can be more specific. The website was not very specific either. Thanks anyway.

#1013381 02/11/05 03:04 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven't signed up for the course yet, so I'm not promoting anything. However, if you want specific answers, go to the source. E-mail Mike Anderson (the Pianomagic guy) and ask questions. He responded to my e-mails quite in-depth. Basically, you're learning chord patterns that are common in popular music. There are other courses that teach them, too. Obviously, since they're selling their wares, the creators aren't going to tell you exactly what to do, but I've found that they're very willing to give you an idea of what the courses entail.

#1013382 02/11/05 03:10 PM
Speaking ONLY for me, my problem with the self teaching methods after trying a couple of books is (1)my lack of self discipline (to practice regularly) and (2) not hving somenoe to ask questions of when not sure of something. Personally, I am thrilled that I gave up trying to self teach to having a teacher.
I suspect that on-line methods provide a mechanism for you to ask questions.

Lee B.
#1013383 02/11/05 04:58 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Lee B

quote:-

"I suspect that on-line methods provide a mechanism for you to ask questions."

er...hello?...yes the online member only forum where you can ask all the questions your little heart desires

hey... hmr?

as the saying goes ;-

You can only lead a horse to water you can't make it drink wink

you either believe me or you don't... its up to you?

either way I sure hope your piano playing gives you as much pleasure as mine does me laugh

Lee

#1013384 02/11/05 11:24 PM
O.K., so now I have signed up. (Money means nothing to me.) My extremely early impressions:

Yes, its a real site, with lessons and a forum.
It is definitely directed at the person who wants to play popular songs, for fun, by ear.
It seems to be directed at the complete beginner as far as playing by ear (as opposed to sight reading or playing classical music.) The site owner seems friendly and responsive, but the forum is smaller than I expected.

What remains to be seen is if it gets far enough beyond the bare basics such that I will feel I got my money's worth. Could go either way.

Doug

"The secret to staying calm in a crisis is not having all the facts."
#1013385 02/12/05 02:08 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well done Doug laugh

I am looking forward to hearing about your journey and experiences and the lightbulbs switching on!

and hearing your tunes in the recital hall! smile

Just one teeny correction though Doug...it is actually directed at the person who wants to play the songs that he or she actually likes! wink ...how kool is that? cool

regards

Lee smile

P.S.

I've just said hello to you over there...check it out laugh

P.P.S.

It can only go one way wink You've just bought yourself a whole years worth of piano lessons and support make sure you use it! wink

#1013386 02/12/05 06:45 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Alright, Doug, I want a minute-by-minute update. So what's the latest report look like?

And what do you mean when you say it's geared toward people who want to play for fun (as opposed to for profit)?

#1013387 02/12/05 07:10 AM
B
B
Hello, All

My name is Tim, but they call me "Balladeer" over at Pianomagic.com. I had to visit just to see what Seaside Lee was up to - and what you all are up to! From what I've read most of you sound much like me up until a year ago...having a big desire to play piano and not knowing exactly which road to take. Actually, I was past that intersection and had basically given up and relegated myself to trying to enjoy just listening to classical piano....that's when I stumbled onto PianoMagic.

Seaside Lee isn't paying me much, so I'll be brief. Try it, you'll like it. It's like nothing else out there.

Balladeer

#1013388 02/12/05 09:55 AM
hmr516 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am anxiously awaiting updates from people like Doug. I would love to know their feelings after being a member there for a week. Thanks.

#1013389 02/12/05 10:45 AM
oops- double post
Doug

#1013390 02/12/05 10:47 AM
Originally posted by markb:

And what do you mean when you say it's geared toward people who want to play for fun (as opposed to for profit)?
Quasi-serious answer: I mean for fun as opposed to competitively. A course like this isn't going to help you with your Chopin, and your piano teacher may smack you with a ruler if you do it in front of her. To me, the potential fun is having a favorite tune in my head, and being able to sit down a play a non-embarrassing version of it just for a hoot. (I may even sing if no ones around.)

Usual smarta** answer: I certainly still intend to make a profit with my playing. I envision myself down in the lounge of the Pasadena Hilton, pounding out "feelings" for the adoring, slightly drunk matrons.

Doug

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission