2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 187 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 186 187
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Barb,
that was great the way you played that. Really enjoyed it.

Jazzwee, where can I find the blog?
thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, Knotty.

Jazzwee's 2 posts above are his blogging posts. We have used the term "blog" here when we talk about things that are not directly related to the AL jazz lessons in the thread. wink

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
D
D
Barb, that was fantastic! Really nice job!

Congrats to you too jazzwee, sounds like you're making great progress too. Dolphin Dance is a huge challenge and it sounds like you've got it licked.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Deeluk, I know you. We leave you alone and your next iteration will leave us in shock and awe thumb

I know that just because we've all been quiet on this thread doesn't mean we've stopped...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by knotty:

Jazzwee, where can I find the blog?
thanks! [/QB]
Hey Knotty, you're the same Knotty from the LJP forum right? Nice of you to hang out here. I haven't posted at LJP for awhile but I'm always reading it.

My Jazz Blog

D
D
Originally posted by jazzwee:
Deeluk, I know you. We leave you alone and your next iteration will leave us in shock and awe thumb

I know that just because we've all been quiet on this thread doesn't mean we've stopped...
Well, I haven't completely stopped, but my practice sessions have become really sporadic. Thanks so much for the compliment. Hopefully, I'll be able to live up to it someday. I'm really pushing hard to finish up our basement. Inlaws are coming, so I have some hard deadlines fast approaching. Plus, who wants to be in the basement working during the summer?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes chief, that's me. You can recognize me by my picture wink

So do you have a place where you keep some of your recordings? Sorry, I'm a bit lazy to go through all 51 pages smile Very successful thread!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Knotty,

Your picture is microsopic...not enough pixels to recognize...

My few recordings are indexed on Page 1, but as far as everyone else's recordings, you will in fact have to go through 51 pages. What's interesting though when you listen to recordings, you will see how quickly each person has improved.

BTW I've been watching your Youtube videos for a long time, since your early posts. Your teacher has an interesting approach in making you play etudes. Early on I did etudes, mostly of solos too but yours seem extensively notated. It seems like even the voicings are part of the etude. Is my interpretation correct?

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by deeluk:
[b] Deeluk, I know you. We leave you alone and your next iteration will leave us in shock and awe thumb

Well, I haven't completely stopped, but my practice sessions have become really sporadic. Thanks so much for the compliment. Hopefully, I'll be able to live up to it someday. I'm really pushing hard to finish up our basement. Inlaws are coming, so I have some hard deadlines fast approaching. Plus, who wants to be in the basement working during the summer? [/b]
Deeluk, don't feel too bad. I too have slowed down. I used to practice 3 hours daily, no fail. Now I have to clamp it at an hour, if I'm to get sleep. No time for recordings or anything. I just focus on my assignment and that's it. Hopefully it will clear up soon for both of us.

Only Barb is still at full speed...right Barb?

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Deeluk - thank you. Good to see you here. Glad your basement is almost finished.

Knotty - I just watched your Autumn Leaves youtube video -- WOW thumb

Jazzwee - yup, I'm still at it. I've also been doing a lot of reading from the fakebook. Things are starting to get easier in the sight reading department.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Barb!

Jazzwee, the whole teacher thing is an on and off thing for me. I'm very independent by nature ...

I just can't get away from these etudes. I love them that much. I've tried to stop. I can't.

I took a few lessons with a renown pianist. He asked me how long I was planning on playing these. I said, until I get bored (like eveything else I do in life). He said: "you won't"

The etudes are a combination of creating solos, comping and applying various styles that work well with a bass. They are challenging both rhythmically and technically. You'll see all you read in a book such as the Levine or Galper's, applied.

I call them my classical music.

I recommend them (in case it's not obvious smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, are those etudes from a book? Are they completely in sheet music format? (no Fakebook?)

My Jazz Blog

D
D

My few recordings are indexed on Page 1, but as far as everyone else's recordings, you will in fact have to go through 51 pages. What's interesting though when you listen to recordings, you will see how quickly each person has improved.
This is a good point and I think it would be relatively simple for us to address. We could each create a post that contains links to all the recordings we have posted. Then, maybe create a link from the main index to each participant's "recording" thread. Each individual could then update their recording thread whenever they have a new recording.

I don't know how easy this would be for everyone else. But for me, it would be really trivial. I have a folder on box.net of all my AL recordings. I could quickly cut and paste all the links into a post.

Hmmmm, I suppose there is the problem of the original context...

What do you all think?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sounds good to me. This is really helpful to others. But deeluk, it may be better to link to the original thread rather than just the recording because the discussion about each recording really shows the reader what to pay attention to.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee - A recording index to our thread posts sounds like a winner. I wouldn't mind going through all the pages to find my threads and links. I wish now I hadn't posted so much, though. laugh

Knotty - Good golly - I've been snooping through all your youtube etudes. They are truly super. My heart started pounding just watching you play. I understand your addiction. I really don't need another addiction, but I'm sold on your playing. smokin

Are all your posted etudes from this book? http://www.jimsnidero.com/books/piano.htm

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

D
D
Sounds good to me. This is really helpful to others. But deeluk, it may be better to link to the original thread rather than just the recording because the discussion about each recording really shows the reader what to pay attention to.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at with context. I started thinking that just raw links to recordings wouldn't be very useful. I wouldn't mind going through and finding all of my posts. OK, we have two willing participants. I think that's a quorum. wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:

Knotty - Good golly - I've been snooping through all your youtube etudes. They are truly super. My heart started pounding just watching you play. I understand your addiction. I really don't need another addiction, but I'm sold on your playing. smokin

Are all your posted etudes from this book? http://www.jimsnidero.com/books/piano.htm [/QB]
Barb,
I really appreciate your kind words. I love youtube. I frequently go back to it and see how I played a piece. I'm am amazed how bad I think I sounded a year ago, and thrilled with anticipation at how amazed I'll be one year from now. smile

Yes, this is the etude book. You answered jazzwee's question before I could. I link it from youtube and encourage people to get it. I've been told it's often used in universities.
I compare these etudes to chocolate for my ears. I often stop and play a couple of chords over and over again just to get each tone in.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by knotty:
I compare these etudes to chocolate for my ears.
Knotty - that's right. It's nothing less than a 2 pound box of Lady Godiva chocolates.

The book looks great. Jim Snidero was at the Aebersold workshop I attended last summer. The book was also given a thumbs up by Jamey himself, and by pianist Dan Haerle who was also at the workshop.

Hey - keep posting here. I love your tips 3hearts

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7mMYx3Eis&feature=related

I don't think I've posted this before. This gives tips on how to develop a (Guitar) solo on AL. Although it's for guitar, the same rules apply.

It starts off with varying the melody, varying with hints of a melody, all the way to full free improv.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee, Great site!! I really like the way the melody "is layered" progressively. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
Page 64 of 187 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission