2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 122 of 187 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, I could play the exact same style in AL. In fact I was doing that yesterday. But this was terribly fast. If I just slowed it down a tad it would not stress me out. I cringe with my time disasters. If my teacher were present he would stop me immediately and slow me down.

You know most people don't appreciate Jazz so I was thinking of doing a ballad for the Recital. It was already stretching it to submit it to the 'Bar'. But you guys know what goes into this. It's tough.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

You know most people don't appreciate Jazz

that's because Jazz has become music for musicians.

so I was thinking of doing a ballad for the Recital

Just play what makes you happy. Seems like you've been working on this stuff for quite a while now, so in my mind, it's recital worthy.

++

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Actually Knotty, you'd be surprised. I actually stopped working on this stuff and just focused on technique for awhile. Then yesterday, while I was analyzing Mehldau, I just clearly saw what he was doing and just pounced on the keyboard.

I saw a couple of things that was really interesting. If I can just keep my time good at this tempo, and just relax so I can focus on the melody, it really does follow Mehldau's style. I'd say 6 months from now, I'd come close.

What's funny was that I was actually studying Herbie and then I realized that what Mehldau was doing was just a more exaggerated form of what Herbie was doing. And what Mehldau was doing was also similar to what Fred Hersch was doing (his teacher). Then a lightbulb turned on smile

The key word is "Syncopation".

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hey jazzwee, you're going places! thumb

I am speechless!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Wow TLT, what a compliment! Thanks.

I was trying to copy this. Let me know if you hear the similarities. I can't do part 1 yet (LH stuff) so compare only against Part 2. Obviously my biggest problem right now is technical (time). But I think I can work that out in the short term. Also I was a little tense so I was getting repetitive.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph48xoGjl1c&feature=related
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPMQ3R28KXU&feature=related

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's another ATTYA Take. This time I just did regular swing just for comparison to the "Mehldau"-like try. As far as who this emulates. Just me I guess.

http://www.box.net/shared/jyax0vnzbu

The Mehldau style is not to swing from the eighth notes but to swing from syncopation. This version is a laid back medium tempo and the swing is from the eighth notes.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
An incredible two handed version of ATTYA by Keith Jarrett (Bach Style). Never seen/heard this before. Solo Piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVV2vIwz1TA&feature=related

My Jazz Blog

D
D
hey jazzwee,

i just heard that recently on youtube.

that's some pretty serious playing!

Last edited by dave solazzo; 11/03/09 04:20 AM.
D
D
hey jazzwee,

i like what you played in your new attya recordings. nice!

also, thanks for posting the herbie autumn leaves video. i was playing along with that today, trying to cop some of his phrases. i love the way he slips and slides in and out of the changes. i'm always trying to get more of that into my playing.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee

I was trying to copy this. Let me know if you hear the similarities. I can't do part 1 yet (LH stuff) so compare only against Part 2. Obviously my biggest problem right now is technical (time). But I think I can work that out in the short term. Also I was a little tense so I was getting repetitive.

Yes I can hear the basic contrapuntal idea. Brad is sharper in his timing, but I prefer your versions, jazzwee, especially the first, but also the second one you posted. You stay close enough to the theme (or dip back into it from time to time) whereas Brad, to my ears, goes awol. I also like your endings. They make me smile. It's like you're saying, 'yes I can do all this fancy stuff, but... all the things you are, are mine!'

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys. If I just clean up my time a little more, I'll sound reasonable. Back to Metronome work.

Dave, what do you mean when you say he slides in and out of the changes? Are you talking about going outside?

I'm paying attention to Herbie's phrasing. I'm starting to more precisely see the differences in playing style between these guys. I figure if I learn how to duplicate them then my own voice will come out.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Dave, I actually spent an entire hour just soloing on ATTYA with my LH with eighth notes. Something about watching the Mehldau video (part 1), clicked and stuff started coming out. This is actually the first time where I was able to do it continuously.

When I was doing this 2 handed thing with my teacher, he was sticking to the no-swing style like Bach. Maybe I challenged him but he can do a pretty good job now of the 2-handed.

But Mehldau's 2-handed is different because of the syncopation so it's more swingy. I find that to be easier for some reason. It's just difficult to get the time right. I just did it at 150bpm (LH only). Anyway, I'm hoping to catch up here as I abandoned the LH soloing while I built up the technique.

I hope to hear your version so there's something for me to copy. smile

My Jazz Blog

D
D

Dave, what do you mean when you say he slides in and out of the changes? Are you talking about going outside?

exactly. i meant going outside and implying different harmony.

herbie has all that great chromatic stuff where he weaves in and out of the chords. and of course the 8th notes are fantastic too.

D
D
Hey Dave, I actually spent an entire hour just soloing on ATTYA with my LH with eighth notes. Something about watching the Mehldau video (part 1), clicked and stuff started coming out. This is actually the first time where I was able to do it continuously.

When I was doing this 2 handed thing with my teacher, he was sticking to the no-swing style like Bach. Maybe I challenged him but he can do a pretty good job now of the 2-handed.

But Mehldau's 2-handed is different because of the syncopation so it's more swingy. I find that to be easier for some reason. It's just difficult to get the time right. I just did it at 150bpm (LH only). Anyway, I'm hoping to catch up here as I abandoned the LH soloing while I built up the technique.

I hope to hear your version so there's something for me to copy. smile

soloing with just the left hand in fun, isn't it? it's humbling too :-) and you come up with different ideas for lines just because the fingering is all different.

like your teacher, i find it easier to do the 2 handed stuff with straight 8ths, more like the bach style. i just naturally hear it more that way. i think it's much harder to do swing 8ths like mehldau does in this style.

yeah, i've got to post a version soon. i will. just been kind of busy lately with life and things.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah did it again today. And it got better. Before I started all this, I couldn't really control where my fingers went since it just naturally went to 1/5/7. Now I can actually make some lines. I have to deal with 4/5 weakness just like the RH. So same exercises are needed I think.

My LH feels different now. I feel like it has more strength.

I have to say though, I like it because it sounds really different. I'm gravitating towards the Mehldau way though because it gives a way to play the rhyhtm too.

BTW - on Herbie, my teacher was pointing out the Herbie syncopation. He'll go for long periods accenting the upbeat, then he'll syncopate with downbeat accents. That's part of what I'm doing now.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, back to the LH stuff, do you ever notice what each person plays in the LH?

Take Mehldau for instance. Most of the quick stuff happens between the two thumbs. The LH notes tend to be longer or widely spaced (unless he's just playing the LH by itself). I've also been observing the syncopation and how that occurs with the LH and RH (in Brad's case). I can semi-emulate it but he syncopates too fast and I don't have the control yet.

But I think I know what to practice.

I don't think Mehldau plays particularly Bach-like. It's more of rhythmic thing. It's Jarrett that has more of that counterpoint thing.

I was watching my teacher play 2-handed and he's not doing it any differently than I am. The LH still provides the harmonic framework but how the notes interact with the RH makes it look busier than it really is. Like I said, two thumbs. Those two thumbs can do a lot. Mehldau does Ostinatos with them and the whole thing sounds almost Orchestral.

My point is, are we overthinking this?

My Jazz Blog

GPA Offline
Jazzwee

just purchased this 9"x11" paperback with $25.00 in loose change.
"Reharmonization Techniques" by Randy Felts, Associate Professor in the Berklee
College of Music. ISBN 0-634-01585-0. I have a question on page 9.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
GPA, I don't have that book. What's the question?

By the way, there's a whole thread on Reharmonization that I started recently (and am intending to continue). Take a look at that. And feel free to ask reharmonization questions there (or here).

Here's the link.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1284990/Nursery%20Rhymes%20Revisited:%20Reha.html#Post1284990

My Jazz Blog

GPA Offline
TNx-J
I'll upload a staff sheet with the info and question on it-appreciate ur lnk, too.

Tnx Cathy for getting me to J

D
D
Dave, back to the LH stuff, do you ever notice what each person plays in the LH?

Take Mehldau for instance. Most of the quick stuff happens between the two thumbs. The LH notes tend to be longer or widely spaced (unless he's just playing the LH by itself). I've also been observing the syncopation and how that occurs with the LH and RH (in Brad's case). I can semi-emulate it but he syncopates too fast and I don't have the control yet.

But I think I know what to practice.

I don't think Mehldau plays particularly Bach-like. It's more of rhythmic thing. It's Jarrett that has more of that counterpoint thing.

I was watching my teacher play 2-handed and he's not doing it any differently than I am. The LH still provides the harmonic framework but how the notes interact with the RH makes it look busier than it really is. Like I said, two thumbs. Those two thumbs can do a lot. Mehldau does Ostinatos with them and the whole thing sounds almost Orchestral.

My point is, are we overthinking this?

maybe smile i like to under think things and simplify everything in my mind. it's just easier for me that way.

the mehldau approach is really amazing. i have got to really check it out more closely. i still love what hersch and petrucciani do with the 2 handed stuff too.

i had put the 2 handed improv on the back burner for the last few months. time to me to dust it off and get back to work on it.

Page 122 of 187 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission