2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sotto Voce:
Yeah, "Immortal Beloved" is great!

Also, I just thought of "Impromptu," about which I have mixed feelings. Though I don't much care for Hugh Grant, I'm a big fan of Judy Davis and Bernadette Peters. But Davis seems a little bit miscast as Sand, and Peters, as the Comtesse d'Agoult, pronounces Chopin's name something like "sho-PONG"!
Agree, Immortal Beloved is great. I also have mixed feelings about Impromptu. I should be incredibly grateful to that movie though since it inadvertently it led me back to Chopin. I'd rented it because I'm partial to Julian Sands (Liszt) and my nickname in college was "George Sand." (I'd never been into her or anything. I just lived in a language hall with a lot of French students and they came up with the nickname. I'm a dark brunette, a scribbler, and was at the time even more inclined to dress like a guy than I am now. Skirt? Do I OWN a skirt?) I thought the movie was "OK" but I remembered that affair had ended in tears, not all sweetness and light as in the movie so I had to check my facts. That led me to Chopin's letters. Turns out we share the same neuroses, sense of humor, astrological sign and weak chest. And the rest is history - - - -

Ironically, my daughter cannot stand Chopin (too dissonant). She once asked me, "can't you play some music from Immortal Beloved?" (Sorry kid, no orchestra.)

Chopin, Desire for Love isn't a bad movie. It's a bit melodramatic and all from Sand's side with a lot of misinformation but there are some great piano scenes and it's beautifully photographed. Filmed on site in Majorca for one thing. My favorite scene in that movie is when a very young Chopin, newly in Paris get a "piano lesson" from a publisher after he rejects Chopin's compositions. "Don't you know what a piano is for?" the publisher asks sarcastically, and then tinkles off some pretty prissy little ditty and Chopin holds his peace but looks like he can't decide whether to deck the patronizing *** or barf. There's also a very effective but historically inaccurate "music video" of the Revolutionary Etude thundering while Russian soldiers smash in the clavier of Chopin's childhood piano with the butts of their rifles and then burn it. That happened but not until 1866.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
the Competition.. Richard Dreyfus

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"An American in Paris" ... Concert pianist Oscar Lavant playing Gershwin's "Piano Concerto in F".

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
i have several...really almost EVERY movie having ANYTHING to do with the piano or the great master composers.

the first one, it introduced me to classical music, believe it or not, was fantasia. i was spellbound by the beauty of that magnificent music...beethoven, schubert, tchaikovsky, bach, stravinsky. i've been 'hooked' ever since.

Madame Sousatzka...super, especially the ending.

a song to remember...a bio of chopin's life. not much truth to it, but the music was the star. i especially liked it because almost every composition (and there were a lot of them) played was finished...to the end. boy, do i hate when they'll start a famous piece and then cut it after a minute.

to be honest, i didn't have the stomach to watch the pianist when it first came out. i did rent it later on, and while it was painful to watch, it was also a tribute to the human spirit.

i thought amadeus was weird. was mozart really that nutty? i read recently that his father had him until his thumb from the age of 4 until his early 20's. so when mozart was finally free to act on his own, he acted as a child because he never really had a childhood. he was irresponsible and lived beyond his means and in a dream word. a genius...absolutely. i actually sobbed at the end when they threw his body in that open pit of other corpses and then threw salt all over it...to cover the smell. how tragic.

immortal beloved...i loved it, each and every part. and the music, throughout, was, again, the star.

the competition was great...but they could have left out the romance and put in more music.

there are many others, but i'm sure you're bored by now.

kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

i thought amadeus was weird. was mozart really that nutty? i read recently that his father had him until his thumb from the age of 4 until his early 20's. so when mozart was finally free to act on his own, he acted as a child because he never really had a childhood. he was irresponsible and lived beyond his means and in a dream word. kathleen
Yeah, he was that nutty. Kathleen's description makes him sound a lot like Michael Jackson. I never saw
the correlation until now.

[Linked Image]
P
P
Originally posted by Nighteyes:
Amadeus!!! Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...

Interesting thread!
I agree. I enjoyed this movie alot. this is the only movie i've seen out of all the movies everyone has listed (except Charlie Brown Christmas). I've been looking for more piano based movies this is definantly helping out. smile now if i can just find them somewhere! Anyone think Blockbuster would have them? I got Amadeus from my local library. I just looked on their website and they have "The Pianist" smile .

Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
i have several...really almost EVERY movie having ANYTHING to do with the piano or the great master composers.

the first one, it introduced me to classical music, believe it or not, was fantasia. i was spellbound by the beauty of that magnificent music...beethoven, schubert, tchaikovsky, bach, stravinsky. i've been 'hooked' ever since.

Madame Sousatzka...super, especially the ending.

a song to remember...a bio of chopin's life. not much truth to it, but the music was the star. i especially liked it because almost every composition (and there were a lot of them) played was finished...to the end. boy, do i hate when they'll start a famous piece and then cut it after a minute.

to be honest, i didn't have the stomach to watch the pianist when it first came out. i did rent it later on, and while it was painful to watch, it was also a tribute to the human spirit.

i thought amadeus was weird. was mozart really that nutty? i read recently that his father had him until his thumb from the age of 4 until his early 20's. so when mozart was finally free to act on his own, he acted as a child because he never really had a childhood. he was irresponsible and lived beyond his means and in a dream word. a genius...absolutely. i actually sobbed at the end when they threw his body in that open pit of other corpses and then threw salt all over it...to cover the smell. how tragic.

immortal beloved...i loved it, each and every part. and the music, throughout, was, again, the star.

the competition was great...but they could have left out the romance and put in more music.

there are many others, but i'm sure you're bored by now.

kathleen
No not bored at all i've been looking for piano based movies i've written a list of all the movies posted.I did see Amadues and watched the special feautures they said that they added more drama to it and they exagerated some of the facts. But i think that alot was true just with exageration.

Can you imagine if you spent your whole life
With a heart beating out of time
Then one day your wild heart found its rhythm
Dont you think youd lose your mind
-S. Orrico.
Listen to whole song (click "Jukebox")
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Most people don't know this but Mozart was probably the best billiards player in Vienna. (This was a skill George Sand tried to teach Chopin with very limited success. Apparently he kept dropping cues.)

[Linked Image]
D
D
My favourite piano(ish) film, would have to be "The Beat That My Heart Skipped"... Although I'd have preferred it if the piano took a slightly more promninant role, it's still an excellent film, and I'd reccommend it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like the "Amadeus" and so does my daughter, so we have seen it a couple of times.
My favourite scene is the one where Mozart on his death-bed is instructing Salieri how to write the music to "Confutatis Maledictis".
In my history-book it is not Salieri but a student named Sussmayer who finishes Mozarts Requiem, but the story is good even if its pure fiction.

It might be true that Mozart was a little "nuts", but his music is divine !

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My favorite piano movie of recent is The Legend of 1900, with Tim Roth.

I also enjoyed Amadeus on Broadway (many years ago) and the movies.

~~Sharon smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey remember Groundhog Day? Not a piano movie but there was the great part when Bill Murray living the one day over and over takes piano lessons so that in the end it appears he has learned to be this great pianist over night.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Peyton:
Hey remember Groundhog Day? Not a piano movie but there was the great part when Bill Murray living the one day over and over takes piano lessons so that in the end it appears he has learned to be this great pianist over night.
Hey Peyton, that's probably most every pianist dream (deep down) - to impress - how did they learn to play like that!!! Kewl! (Play to impress yourself and you are sure to impress your audience). WOOT! cool

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've just read a review of a new film about pianos - it is called "The Page Turner". I think it's French. It is about a young girl who is a talented pianist who enters a competition, where a woman judge treats her badly. Later on when she becomes the judge's page-turner she gets her revenge...

Has anyone seen it? I'm going to find out if it's on in London maybe.

Best wishes, Mary-Rose

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"5 Easy Pieces."

How about "Song Without End" the story of Franz Liszt starring Dirk Bogarde and Capucine (an actress who later committed suicide).

What about the Eddie Duchin Story staring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak.

"The Competition" with Richard Dryfus and Amy Irving was also very good.

IJGpiano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's certainly not a piano movie ... but I was highly amused by one scene in the recent "Poseidon." It's a remake of the 1970s disaster flick in which a cruise ship is capsized by a giant wave. Among other unlikely scenarios that follow, a boy ends up trapped on a piano hanging from the ceiling .

I laughed my socks off at first but then I thought, hey, I wonder if they really do bolt pianos to the floor on cruise ships? If the ships rolls hard in a storm, I sure wouldn't want a big old grand circumnavigating the ballroom all on its own. Not that there's any chance the bolts would hold once the room went upside-down, or even that the body of the instrument would stay attached to the legs ... but, seriously, would there ever be a time to bolt a piano to the floor?

FYI, yes, I checked. It's a Baldwin.

smile

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
M
M
What about the Eddie Duchin Story staring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak.
JerryG,

The Eddie Duchin Story was my vote in a similar thread over in the Piano Forum earlier this year. Carmen Cavallero did the actual playing in that movie.

- Moe

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Anyone ever heard of the movie "Opus 11"
Good movie
About a blind kid and a high school band more than piano.

I would like the movie "Ray" is it had less sex and more music...

but im 13, and what do i know... :rolleyes:

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Let's Do The Time Warp Again!
Another Rocky Horror fan here.

[Linked Image]
Lisztomania !! Perhaps not the best piano movie, actually its fairly crumby, but highly recommended for its sheer novelty value. Has anyone seen the movie Lisztomania? This movie is difficult to find; it was an indie film made sometime in the mid 70s, therefore you will be luckly if you see it in a blockbuster. This is by no means a historical film, but just a comedic spin on a few composers. Notable aspects in the movie include our protangonist, Liszt, and a Pope, who is played by former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr. There are many hiliarious episodes, but since its been so long when I last saw it, I can't really elaborate. But yea, worth one viewing.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission