2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Here's my favorite piano Joke.

A man walks into a bar. As he opens the door, he sees a tiny little man playing the piano in the corner.

Next to the tiny little man, there stood a dusty old genie lamp covered in rubies and diamonds. The man picks up the lamp and starts to rub the dust off of it.

In a whirlwind of smoke, an old old genie squeezes himself out if the lamp and says in a soft voice: "I will grant you one wish, so wish carefully."

The man says: "I wish for a million bucks" and suddenly the bar fills up with a million ducks quacking and pooping everywhere.

In disappointment, the man goes to the bartender and says: "I'm truly sorry, but I wished for a million bucks, not a million ducks. I think the genie is going deaf".

The bartender replies: "Tell me about it. Do you really think I wished for a twelve inch pianist?"

I always wanted to pretend that I was an architect.
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

i thought amadeus was weird. was mozart really that nutty?
I just watched the Directors cut DVD last weekend. And yes, he was quite nutty and "dirty". Check out K.231 and K.232 and you may see what I mean.

Also, I remember from my trip to Salzburg: Mozart Kuglen - Mozart balls! Mmm. Chocolate with pistachio marzipan. Thus, his nuttiness lives on to this very day! smile

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Ken Russell, Lisztomania, from the man who brought us The Devils of Loudon - -- Purist and stuffed shirts would find it appalling but I liked it. It's decidedly raunchy but goodnatured. It's silly, campy and very funny and still manages to portray the main events of Liszt's life in a highly symbolic way. I imagine Liszt somewhere in the great beyond might have gotten a chuckle out of it.

Watch out for Wagner with fangs. [Linked Image]

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
icekid... eek but laugh laugh

kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
I know, it may be inappropriate, but I thought this was the "adult" beginner's forum. thumb

In all seriousness, I would say my favorite movie was Impromptu. I remember a quote from that movie, which stuck with me. Chopin said to one of his students: "Simplicity is the hardest thing". It's something that I tend to live by, which means that I buy a lot of gadgets to make my complicated life simpler.

I always wanted to pretend that I was an architect.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The film Impromptu is great fun (and I thought quite well cast!). I love the way that all you see of Hugh Grant's Chopin for quite some time is a pair of perfectly white gloves. But it is so, so inaccurate. There's another Chopin film called "Desire for Love". Again inaccurate but better than Impromptu from that point of view. The actor playing Chopin was drop-dead gorgeous; so much so that I tried to find out more about him on the internet and discovered that in reality he isn't attractive at all!

How superficial of me :-)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by maryrose:
The actor playing Chopin was drop-dead gorgeous; so much so that I tried to find out more about him on the internet and discovered that in reality he isn't attractive at all!

How superficial of me :-)
That same actor, Piotr Adamczyk, is played Pope John Paul II in a Polish miniseries about him.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
the actor who played in that one-man show "Monseiur Chopin" looks the way that chopin (should have, might have, could have, i wished that he may have) looked. wink

i was wondering if that theater company has any plans of taping that show and putting it out on a DVD. everywhere it appeared, it was a sold-out performance, which should give the "backers" an idea of making it a "movie." bah

desire for love was even worse. frown he was portrayed as a spoiled and selfish and not very likeable person. and this movie was, for the most part, made by and starred Poles. how could they do that to a national hero? i'd expect it from hollywood, but not from Poland.

at least in that old movie, (a song to remember) starring cornell wilde...(now that's a real stretch of the imagination) chopin's character was given some character. although the facts were really distorted, it wasn't painful to watch as were the other two. and, of course, the music was amazing, as were the scenery, sets and costumes.

kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, I read an interview with Hershey Felder, the actor in Monsieur Chopin. He said his biggest struggle in that production was keeping himself thin enough to play Chopin. Apparently he lost thirty pounds that he really didn't need to lose to make himself look as slight as he thought he needed to look. That's dedication. Like you, I pray they film it at some point. (They filmed Julie Harris' one woman show about Emily Dickinson, The Belle of Amherst.) I fear my hope of it coming to Atlanta is a very forlorn hope indeed. It's not like M. Chopin would be easy to recast and revive. You'd need a pianist who could act and was willing to starve himself from months into the bargain.

Re Impromptu and Chopin's white gloves: The costume designer for Impromptu actually had access to Chopin's tailor's records - imagine them still existing! and how I'd like to see them - so his clothing was absolutely authentic.

[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by icekid767:
I know, it may be inappropriate, but I thought this was the "adult" beginner's forum.
If there were a kid's begginer forum i would go there. (13 year old here) I'

Although not a central figure, a pianist figures large in The Man Who Wasn't There (2001). The movie as a movie is very good. Although the piano playing is deliberately not special, it does present the frustrating truth applicable to many piano parents (and adult beginners). Billy Bob Thornton plays the lead; I forget the actress playing the player.

Willis (1910) and Yamaha CLP-280
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Frycek:

Thanks so much for that information. Yes, that was true dedication on the part of Mr. Felder to starve himself. I thought I read that he researched and studied for 2 years to play this part. Why would they have to get another actor? Wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient to just film the play as it "plays" and sell the DVD (like they do from actual performances by many of the rock stars)? I bought one of these type of DVD's for my daughter for her birthday...Jimmy Buffet Live from Wigley Field.

I know he did Gershwin first and is going to do Beethoven next. I guess he'll have to pack on some pounds for that part. I am going to buy tickets for that performance. It's coming to Chicago in Feb. Maybe you can fly up for that...my treat!!

I just get so frustrated mad knowing that M. Chopin was playing in Chicago (so close)for so many months, and I knew nothing about it. frown

You've only just convinced me, once again, that you will HAVE to move up to Rockford and live with my husband and me because you are so great with research, and how I would love to listen to you "practice" for all the hours you do.

Of course, the commute to your jobs would be tough. Well then, I guess I'll just come down and move in with you!! eek eek wink

Thanks again and sorry that M. Chopin won't be coming your way. frown

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Frycek:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient to just film the play as it "plays" and sell the DVD (like they do from actual performances by many of the rock stars)?
I truly hope they do exactly that. Do you know if they ever filmed his Gershwin play? If they did that would be a good indication of their intentions.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
No, I don't know. I don't even know who to contact for information or to suggest this idea. I guess I'll get on the internet and do some research.

I found a site that offers a 2 disc CD set of the play. I don't know if it's just the music or a recording of the whole performance. I am going to e-mail the address given and ask. I also sent a e-mail to the production company and suggested their doing DVD.

Anyhow, the site is Monsieur Chopin

Kathleen

Originally posted by Debussy20:
Originally posted by icekid767:
[b] I know, it may be inappropriate, but I thought this was the "adult" beginner's forum.
If there were a kid's begginer forum i would go there. (13 year old here) I' [/b]
AFAIK, if you demonstrate appropriate decorum and treat others here with respect, and from what I've read here you do that, then you are welcome here, whether you are 13 or 130.

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
I may not be addressing the subject of piano movies directly, but I've always enjoyed watching the piano played by Chico Marx. Watching him "shoot" that upper key always gives me a laugh.

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I don't remember Chico ever playing serious tune
or seriously..but Harpo always did..I guess he couldn't play funny on a harp! Bob

M
M
I would like the movie "Ray" if it had less sex and more music...
but im 13, and what do i know...
DeBussy20,

Are you sure you are 13?

- Moe

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's my favorite piano movie :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xsLS3us-0

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Gosh...eternal, eek

you have a unique sense of humor. frown

Kathleen

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission