2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Are these exercises suitable for a complete beginner?

Choppin' the keys

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The Hanon book suggests starting the exercises at about a year of playing - musically, the exercises are very simple, I think its more the hand strength that complete beginners have yet to develop that is the main reason the book suggests waiting that year or so. Maybe overstrenuating early can be negative in the longer term injury wise?

I certainly don't think it would hurt an absolute beginner to start the exercises AT A SLOW PACE and start developing right hand left hand co-ordination.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
just wait till we get to 30-40! those freak me out with the thumb under whooshes and the other things... (you can tell a 13 year old didnt want to get out of bed this early....school - and no music class this semester!!!)

Regarding starting, I'm excited to do this, but just read the post from stephenc about waiting a year. I don't want to criple my (almost) 50 year-old hands, but I've been typing for nearly 20 years on computers, and juggling even longer (though you wouldn't know to watch me).

Does anyone really think I need to wait?

Thanks, Mark

There is nothing to it. You have only to hit the right note at the right time, and instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
No, no reason to wait. You've probably got a reasonable amount of strength from the typing (not sure about the juggling though!). The principle difference would be the stretching required for the Hanon but if you take it slowly you should have no problems.

Greg
S
S
Hi. I am new to this forum and have only been taking lessons for 4 months. I have no idea what Hanon is as my teacher is very relaxed about technical practice as I am only in this for the enjoyment of playing and have no intention of taking exams or giving recitals ( eek ).

Just picking up on the info from stephenc (a fellow aussie!) about waiting for a year. I can play scales fairly fast with both hands using the entire length of the piano. Please excuse my ignorance but is that enough training to try hanon? I am looking for any exercises that will help me improve.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Welcome shimmer,

great to have another aussie on board! Judging by your ability to play full length scales, I would say your hands are good and ready for Hanon. Basically, the exercises are repeating patterns (different for each exercise) moving up and down the keyboard. They aim to build finger strenght speed and wrist flexibility and from what I can gather are very popular worldwide for achieving this purpose - I think I read that Rachmaninoff made them mandatory for his students. So, please join us for this journey!

S
S
Hi everyone. I would love to be a part of this challenge even though I never have done any kind of technical exercises before... But, I guess Hanon is the perfect place to start? Anyway, can I join? I haven't any recording stuff but I have a digitalcamera, I suppose I can use that. Thanks anyway!

//Charlotte

Without music, life would be a mistake.

//Friedrich Nietzsche
P
P
Great idea! I've started Hanon recently and reached # 2, so it's a valuable additional motivator.

Not sure about sending in recordings, definitely not in the beginning, maybe later - but as I'm the one gaining most by me sticking to the excercise, no motivation to "cheat".

P
P
Just noticed I didn't say it specifically: please count me in.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
welcome seraf and Piano&Violin - thanks for joining!. I'll add you both to the list in the week 1 exercise one thread

I just ordered Hanon from Amazon. I tried using the pdf printout, but as I figure I'll use the heck out of the Hanon, I thought a "real" copy was in order.

I may not get the first couple uploaded, but will figure that out in time. Do you want recordings or MIDI files? (not that I really understand the different procedures yet.)

There is nothing to it. You have only to hit the right note at the right time, and instrument plays itself.
Please add me to the Week #1 challenge. Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
done Hobo57!, as far as the upload goes - audio recordings would be preferable, but midi would suffice if this is easier for you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm going to start this series of exercises too, so please count me in - but I have a problem! I've only just taken a first cursory glance at exercise 1 - how do you finger it? confused I don't understand the fingerings given for the successive octaves...

Michael
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Cruiser - good to have you in!

Right hand - 1 (thumb) on C, 2 on E, 3 on F, 4 on E, 5 on A, 4 on E, 3 on F, 2 on E then repeat (i.e thumb (1) on D etc.

Left Hand - 5 (pinky) on C, 4 on E, 3 on F, 2 on G, 1 on A, 2 on G, 3 on F, 4 on E then repeat (i.e pinky (5) on D.

once you get the hang of it you'll race up and down the keys!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Stephen! I'd initially interpreted the instructions at the top to mean play the ascending section (to measure 14) with the left hand only and the descending part with the right hand, somehow!
Now I'm away... thumb

Michael
I
I
emm....count me in please...
i need to practice again, after about 10 months not doing this..so..what should i do?
i dont know if i could post a record of my exercise, but i'll find a way..and where should i post it?
Thank you again...
God Bless

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
irvine_86,

Welcome to the forum and to the Hanon challenge. Although posting a recording is encouraged, it is not required. What is normally done by those who do post recordings is to upload it to a free service such as box.net and then post a link. stephenc starts a thread each week (we're on Hanon Challenge Week 9 now) so you can either just reply to the thread with an "I'm done" or post a link to your recording of exercise 9.

Get practicing!

Greg
I
I
hello.
C7 Players. I have a recorder, but i dont think you guyz have the plugin to play my recording from WMP. or, whats the program to record something from computer?i really want to do this, because of my abstain from piano for about 1 years, now my hands so stiff and cant relax...hiks..
thank you...
appreciate it
God Bless

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission