2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1009208 01/01/07 02:51 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just wondering if anyone would be keen to tackle a Hanon a week? We could start at exercise 1 and continue at least to say exercise 20. For those who are able, it would be great to post a weekly recording of the exercise to make sure they are getting completed.
I believe the exercises are available free online...so there's no excuse not to take the challenge!!!!

I
Ina Offline
I
Link to Hanon:
http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=7

You may download only 2 items per day.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ina:
Link to Hanon:
http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=7

You may download only 2 items per day.
The first 20 exercises are in the third link from the bottom in Ina's link, "The Virtuouso Pianist, Part 1".

Stephen, this is a great idea.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Great idea! I've been using 1-3 as warmups lately so this will give me some incentive to push forward through the others. Count me in!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to send recordings. I'm planning on getting a Zoom sometime in the future but don't have any way of recording now. You'll just have to trust me laugh

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been meaning to work through my Hanon regularly, so I'm in.

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Count me in. I KNOW I should be doing Hanon, but I just can't bring myself to do it on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

One a week sounds perfect, and I would be willing to record even though I won the "worst recording ever" on the last recital. eek

So when do we start?? smile smile

Maybe, since the first day of the year falls on a Monday, we could start this today and then record (if we want on Sunday)...just a suggestion.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I'm up for anything!
I confess i've been working on 1-14 but stopped after that. This will help me get back on track.
yeah, when do we start smile

Matt cool

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I'm going to start today. I HAVE to get both hands playing #1. Right now, I am only concentrating on my left hand, since it is pretty weak (pinched nerve), but that's not an excuse.

Hey, everyone...let's start!! OK?

A question, what speed should we be shooting for? Or does it matter. Do we need to play at the tempo indicated? If so, I'm a goner!!

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think there should be a set tempo for us all.
Instead of targeting speed, I think a smooth, even performance is a better terget instead of a particular speed.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
And they're off!

I'm starting today.

As far as tempo, I don't think it matters. Although I do play them at the indicated tempo, I think the point is to build flexibility and strength so playing with both hands and playing smoothly is more important (I think) than trying to fly through them and as a result play them poorly.

I generally start slowly focusing on correctness and then build speed as they become more familiar and my fingers have adapted to whatever technique the particular exercise requires.

Greg
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just a thought - Hanon is not necessarily at its most useful if you work through the exercises sequentially. You may well find that dipping into some of the more involved exercises at the back of the book, as well as some of the early ones will bring your playing on far more rapidly. Especially some of the octave work.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
I got distracted from Hanon while trying to learn to play Christmas Carols.

I'm in!

Trainlady
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
C7: I agree that evenness is more important than speed, but that the speed will pick up the more you play.

Also, AJB, you do have a point about skipping to the back every so often to find an exercise that might help you play the piece you are learning.

But, I am like a horse with blinders. I have to go full speed ahead...and stick to each lesson, one after another...if not, I'll get off track and will probably quit. frown But if it works for other people, I say: Go for it. smile

Just think...we can post ourselves playing Hanon exercises. I'm sure everyone in the forum will be avid with excitement, waiting to listen. laugh

Kathleen

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ok, great enthusiasm guys. I to worked through about 1 -7 and then couldn't find more motivation to continue, so I can't wait to continue the venture. The best thing about Hanon is that the exercises are not rocket science,anyone can play them, and once you know the first you have the fundamentals for many that follow.

And after a while you don't need to think while playing them, they just make your hands strong and fingers nimble which is what I am hoping to get from them - I'd prefer to put all my concentration into actual pieces.

So, yes I agree, lets start today - I'll post a seperate thread ach week with a list of participants and, if they have recorded, a tick of approval next to their name as indication of pasing the exercise - others who don't post just need let us know and we'll trust that they have indeed passed!!

I agree about the tempo, certainly Hanon is made to be played fast eventually, but I say just play them at a comfortable tempo for now and concentrate on even and correct fingering on both hands. Good lUck!!

Include me -- I welcome anything that will provide motivation.

[Linked Image]
Hi, count me in too. Sounds like a great idea. I can't record yet though... everyone will have to trust me smile LOL

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Add me to your list also. I love to be accountable when I might not otherwise get to something like this.

Nancy

Estonia 168
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Someone once suggested I play these exercises with my eyes shut (or at least not looking at the music or the keyboard).

I've tried it and I like it. It really makes your fingers find the keys before plunking down on them. A way to strengthen your fingers and also improve your "touch."

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As my Hanon copy has not been too much used so far, I would like to join you.
Please don't expect me to post any recordings (my ears just hate Hanon, though my fingers like him wink )

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
J
J
I'm In!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission