2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Triryche:
Welcome to the forum!!

I am less than half the drunk I was half a lifetime ago. (I think!!)
Half a lifetime is just about it laugh Hello to bluekeys! Welcome to the ABF - those folks who ride around in the back of semis with big yellow letters on them (the semis), playing the piano! I love the blues, tho I don't play it much. You might find Gilbert's latest thread on learning the blues and see what they've got posted. And do you and Blues Babe know Marcia Ball's playing? New Orleans honky tonk and blues to die for.

These days I only fall off the piano bench because I'm laughing so hard smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Bluekeys, I read you technique link by the Irish guy last night. Pretty much rubbish. I'd be careful if your trying to play like that.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi bluekeys

Welcome to the forums smile

Nice blog BTW thumb

regards

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks once again to all the nice folks who've welcomed me.

jotur-- I'm not familiar with Marcia Ball, but I'll definitely check out Gilbert's blues stuff. I've been trying to put together some simple riffs for blues improv and maybe that will help.

kbk-- No, I'm not putting much stock in the "Irish Guy." I just happened to have read it while I was setting up the blog and was adding links fairly indiscriminately. I'll probably remove it eventually.

Lee-- I checked out your blog too. You play beautifully. I only hope someday to do as well.

Jotur: Sure I know Marcia Ball! (Well, not personally, of course.) Love that New Orleans-style piano blues, especially Fats Domino (The King, IMHO!) and Dr. John.

Bluekeys: Yep, love dem blues, especially piano and harp. On the latter, Carlos del Junco, Mark DuFresne, and Kim Wilson are my Main Men. Didn't you say you play harp?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Blues Babe, it sounds like we have similar tastes. Add Allain Toussaint, Prof Longhair, Bill Payne (Little Feat) and Otis spann to your list (also a big Pinetop Perkins fan). I haven't seen many live (I was a harp fan first) but I did spend a magical evening leaning on Jay McShann's piano in a little Toronto bistro in the '80's.

I'm the harp player.

Don't know Mark Dufresne, but you can add James Cotton, Little Walter, Sonny Terry, Billy Branch, Paul Butterfield, George Smith, Sugar Blue and Rod Piazza to that list. They're not strictly blues harp players, but Brendan Powers, Norton Buffalo and the magical Howard Levy are monster harp players.

I have an old (1940's) record somewhere with a couple of piano-harmonica duets on it. I don't know who the piano player is, but the harp player was Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller). It would be a kick to play both parts, though tough to get those kickin' SBW "Wah-wah"s without hands... maybe with yoga lessons and my feet... laugh wink :p

Without music life would be a mistake
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome to the forum! It is a really supportive place.

Great blog! I like the comments about how frustrating it is to work on a piece and then still make mistakes. I have played the piano and organ off and on since childhood and experience the same thing. I am increasingly convinced that so much of that problem is some sort of anxiety - at least on my part. I know that a difficult (for me) section of a piece is coming up, and I anticipate that I'll have trouble, and guess what - I do! On rare occasions, I've been able to 'let go' for a little while of that anticipatory anxiety and have actually gotten through some tough spots without too many errors. Reminds me of the scene in "Mr. Holland's Opus" where he is working with the girl who can't learn the clarinet. He takes her sheet music away and has her close her eyes - suddenly she can play the piece!

On yet another tangent, I think learning a new musical instrument in middle age is a great thing for your brain. I am a geriatric psychiatrist and can tell you that many studies show that those who keep their brains and bodies very active have a lower risk of Alzheimer's disease. Some day, when you are able to get that acoustic piano, consider it preventative medicine, not a luxury!

Steve W
Omaha, NE
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the Forum, bluekeys.

I am a piano teacher and I have 5 adult students right now. The adult students that do well are the ones who remember to practice.

I have some adults who are usually too busy to practice. Sometimes I wonder why they come. Do they think I will wave a magic wand over their heads and turn them into pianists?

Be realistic. It's hard work and it will take many years but the end results are limitless.

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the comments, Steve.

Yep, those bugaboos are mostly in the head. I was recording today and noticed the best way to play 95% of a piece cleanly is to make a mistake in the first 5%. Once the file's hosed and the pressure's off, it's easy to play clean.

As for music keeping the brain tweaked, I swear my memory is better since I started playing. 'Course I don't guzzle a pint of Evan Williams every day now, so that might have helped too.

Anyway, glad you liked the blog!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bluekeys, the next online recital date is February 15th. Be ready.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Uh oh, pressure. I commit to nothing. I listened to some of the Nov Recital and didn't hear too many "beginners," at least as I would define them.

Yes, they have a somewhat 'fluid' definition of beginner here. It can get a little embarrassing. I think you missed the preludes recital.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bluekeys:
. . . and didn't hear too many "beginners," at least as I would define them.
How would you define beginners, then? Just curious. smile

How would you define beginners, then?
Someone who plays as badly as, or worse than I do? :p

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Originally posted by Tenuto:
Welcome to the Forum, bluekeys.

I am a piano teacher and I have 5 adult students right now. The adult students that do well are the ones who remember to practice.

I have some adults who are usually too busy to practice. Sometimes I wonder why they come. Do they think I will wave a magic wand over their heads and turn them into pianists?

Be realistic. It's hard work and it will take many years but the end results are limitless.
I'm an adult student who sometimes fits into the "too busy to practice" group, but I still go to my lesson. Why? Not because I expect some magic wand to turn me into a pianist, but because I have an understanding teacher who knows my motivations for playing and can teach me more in an hour than I can learn on my own. I've also already paid for the lesson, so why not go? It's an hour out of my week where I can totally connect with the music and don't have to think about anything else. If I haven't practiced, we spend time "practicing" during the lesson and I don't consider any minute of that lesson to be less valuable than when I practiced at home. Adults have so many different motivations for taking lessons, and it is hard work, but the only "magic" I expect from my lesson is the magic we have together as teacher and student, and I've never been disappointed.

Rhonda
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
One of our "beginners" had seven years training under the Soviet music system. It's truly terrifying.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think pasta hit the nail on the head. Of course by that definition (relative to me, not pasta) we wouldn't have much of a forum.

Seriously though, the term is too subjective to define, and the community has been wise not to discourage participation by anyone who is "too good." If I decide to contribute in Feb it will be because I've done work that I'm proud enough of based on my own background and experience that I don't mine sharing it with others. Hopefully that will happen.

BTW, mahlzeit, you've done some great work on recording, midi, vst, etc. I plan to review it diligently as I try to get my YDP223 to play samplings hosted on my pc back through the piano in real time. That stuff's all new to me, so any advise on where to begin would be greatly appreciated!

Boy, bluekeys, you seem tough on yourself. I checked out your website and listened to some of your samples. While I agree that they sound very tinny, most of the playing was --no other word for it: good!

I didn't listen to a lot, so if I don't mention something, I didn't listen to it.

The Minuet was good and your Invention #8 has inspired me to give that one a shot.

The Mark Harrison stuff is OK, but it sounds tense. If you slow it way down and focus on making it swing, you'll have more fun and it will sound great.

As far as not being able to play flawlessly when recording yourself...well, if it's brain-damage then there's a lot of us "walking wounded" lurching around the ABF: do a search of "red dot" in the forums and you'll see that your pain is shared.

wink

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah bluekeys, those recordings are good enough to be a part of the recitals! smile

You should post some of them in the monthly piano bar threads!

The piano sound isn't too bad but it appears there is some kind of chorus effect on, which is distracting. You should, however, enable reverb (lots of it) which makes everything automatically sound less mechanical.

Hope it helps! smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks guys, you're doing wonders for my confidence.

Meanwhile, I'll try pumping up the reverb on my recordings, plus I just posted a question to the digital board to see I can get my piano to use different samplings. Barring all that, I may go back to recording in midi and do a conversion to mp3 using different tones. I really don't want to buy a new piano yet (unless I can get a good price for my old one).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission