2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
I just noticed we posted simultaneously...also just upgraded my windows player & I'm listening to Croation Rhapsody now.

Beautiful! (I may join this group??)

Yes..."God Rest Ye Merry Gents" (always liked that one too)

[Edit...ShiroKuro, Croation Rhapsody is very beautiful, but....I'm thinking, probably too techinically challenging for me at this point....yipes!]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Opus, no way is it too challenging for you. And I'm not just saying that cuz I want you to play it with me. smile

Not after the way you dazzled us with Take Five. I bet this is much simpler. And it's slower (you gotta love that!) The recommended tempo is MM=95 (for the quarter.) And there's so much repetition, so that makes it easier.

I thought it would be too hard too, but I'm working on it little by little (very little really) and it's much more accessible than I thought it would be. Rhythmically, it's very straightforward. If you play it slow, you'll see what's happening, and then I'm sure you'd be able to get it up to speed much more quickly than I will be!

Anyway, no pressure. (We're all doin' it, wassa matter, you chicken or somethin?) but seriously, don't write it off too quickly. smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
You are very persuasive ShiroKuro, and I do like the sound of Croation Rhapsody...I'll put it back on my "highly considered" list. laugh [and by the way, I still can't play Take Five up to speed mad ]

Everyone:
I may have time this weekend to start matching the peices with group participants.

It's not too early to start thinking about which peices you want to learn to play.

And it's not too late to suggest more peices.

Remember, we don't necessarily have to get to everything right away...groups can elect to start on some pieces and defer others...also you can participate in more than one group.

If you have any other suggestions...share them! Questions? Concerns? Ask!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
So we're not going to a Yahoo group is that right? Apparently you have to have a yahoo account to participate in those, and even though yahoo accounts are free, some people may not way to make yet another email account. (not to say we couldn't do a y-group, but it sounds like no one's really interested in that)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
I was thinking of just using a different thread in the AFB (different threads for each different group). We could give the threads unique names so they can be found easily enough if they sink down the list because all the group members are too busy practicing to post comments/questions/recordings/music scores, etc..

How does this sound? What do you think? Anyone else? Other ideas?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
maybe assisgn one song per thread.Maybe have people sign up on the thread that has the song they want to play? If they start a song and they think it is too hard , they can move to another thread. Or if someone starts a song and finds it too easy , they can go to a different thread that has another song they like. And like you said people can do more than 1 song if they want. I think assigning one song per thread, and maybe having people sign up under the thread that has the song they like might work. ????

Make music not war
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yes, I second Petrof and Opus's suggestion, one thread for each piece, with a very clear title, that would be very easy to use and keep track of.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Count me in Opus45. Let's say I'm hesitant as to whether I'll be able to devote enough time to this project, but willing to give it a try.

Petrof1 said:

Also I wouldnt mind learning the Asokan Farwell. I have the score for it. It is in the Dan Coates book of Complete Advanced Piano Solos.That one doesn't look too hard, I think it is more on the intermediate level. It looks like one of the easier ones to play in that book.

I agree. I have the same book, and that is one of the easier pieces. I have only attempted about 4 pieces in that book so far, and that is one of them. I can't play it up to speed yet, but it's coming along.

I look at some of the pieces in that book (Over the Rainbow, for example) and wonder if I'll ever in a million years be able to play them, but a few are definitely doable for me.

Another cool book is Showcase for Piano. It's a Hal Leonard book of nicely arranged old pop standards. I think just about all of them would be appropriate for the group. Songs included are Bali Ha'i, Bewitched, Falling in Love with Love, How are Things in Glocca Morra, I Can't Get Started with You, I Could Write a Book, I Didn't Know What Time It Was, I'll Be Seeing You, Lazy Afternoon, My Funny Valentine, On the Street Where You Live, People, September Song, The Sweetest Sounds, There's a Small Hotel, This Can't Be Love, Where or When, and You'll Never Walk Alone. I just got the book and have only tried a couple of pieces so far. I would classify them as intermediate - late intermediate.

I prefer buying books rather than sheet music as you get more for your money that way.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In the same Coates book with Ashokan Farewell.... is a good arrangement of "Beauty and the Beast."

It's actually the very next song, if I recall correctly. His "Over the Rainbow" is good, as is "As Time Goes By."

Besides, every pianist needs to have a rendition of "As Time Goes By," right? smile

I listened to Croatian Rhapsody and printed out the first couple of pages of the transcription... and I think I want to be in this group! It's definitely a stretch for me, but I think with careful attention I could pick away at it steadily... and it sounds so great and unlike anything else in my repertoire.

Thanks for posting it, Shiro.

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
ShiroKuro,

I have in the past purchased music for download when I couldn't find it elsewhere. I think it is a great concept, but I still prefer the hard copy mailed to my door when it is available. I am quirky that way.

Dean
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't mind signing up for the learning group as well.

If we have to select what piece to look at, I will select the Croatian Rhapsody too. I don't think I will be able to play it to any high level, but its been on my mind recently and would like to give it a shot.

First, let me say that when I referred to any boob can start a Yahoo group, I wasn't necessarily thinking body part--more like any moron--that aside (we all have a sense of humor I hope) to clarify. You don't need a Yahoo e-mail account to participate in a a Yahoo group--just a sign-in id and password.

However, I think that the idea of starting a thread for each song or group is a good one to try out--keeping this simple so that we can spend more time on the keyboard than figuring out how to post.

I don't have any recommendation for music--just two considerations would be helpful--

At least one piece (maybe two) at the beginning intermediate level as I'm just starting up after 30 years or so and feel like the Tin Man who needs oil (although it's amazing what is slowly coming back to me).

And, second, it would be appreciated to let us know how to obtain the music--either download or hard copy purchase. (Also where to get a recording so that we could listen to what it's suppose to sound like.) I have no preferrence for sheet music or a book or download--cost is no object--that's why my credit card bills are so outrageous.

Edit: I just read Opus' other post--maybe I'm not far enough along? Ok if I try anyway?

I'm looking forward to this.

O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
from FurElise:
And, second, it would be appreciated to let us know how to obtain the music--either download or hard copy purchase. (Also where to get a recording so that we could listen to what it's suppose to sound like.) I have no preferrence for sheet music or a book or download--cost is no object--that's why my credit card bills are so outrageous.
...maybe I'm not far enough along? Ok if I try anyway?
I think we'll be throwing links around to recordings, downloads, & places to purches hard copies. If there's anything in particular you're having trouble finding, just ask...someone will step up and help you find it. (glad you're going to stick it out & try FurElise)

Jeff
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here are the sheets for the classical pieces listed so far, except the Massenet:

Please note that sheetmusicarchive.net allows only 2 downloads per day.

So please download the pieces you are most interested in first, and the rest later.

Thanks.

Beethoven Bagatelles:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=3

Brahms Waltz in A flat, Op.39 No.15:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=198

Chopin Raindrop Prelude, Op.28 No.15:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=244

Chopin Waltz in A flat, Op.69 No.1:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=273

Chopin Waltz in c# minor, Op.64 No.2:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=271

Debussy Claire de Lune:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1136

Debussy Reverie:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=758

Mozart Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman K.265:

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Rachmaninoff Prelude in c# minor, Op.3 No.2:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1043

Schubert German Dances:

A Ton Of Them

Schubert Impromptu in G:

I have Schubert's Complete Piano Works, and there is no Impromptu in G.

However, the Impromptu in G flat, Op.90 No.3 is gorgeous:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1331

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh man, look what happens when I go out of town... ShiroKuro sneaks in Croatian Rhapsody on the learning group!!! Aaarrgggh!

If the rest of the sheet music is as hard as the excerpt, I'm looking for the "Beginner Learning Group" thread... wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am in with the Schubert Impromptu in G-flat major, Op 90 No 3.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No, no, Monica, that excerpt is specifically the most difficult section of the piece. That's why I started there first. And for the record, I still can't play it worth a snot! :p

Also, did you notice I suggested David Nevue's God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen for the Christmas piece? smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
from Monica
Oh man, look what happens when I go out of town... ShiroKuro sneaks in Croatian Rhapsody on the learning group!!! Aaarrgggh!
How true! ShiroKuro is VERY persuasive (i bet she is just as persuasive in her work as a teacher). She's so persuasive in fact, that she has me 90% convinced that I might be able to actually think about the possibility of entertaining the idea of the concept of considering that I may be able to actually learn to play the Croatian Rhapsody?

By the way, I'm going to start forming the groups based on interest expressed in this thread and in Email sent to me. I'll spin off another thread with the groups, and will add to & modify those groups over the next couple weeks as people indicate to me.

[Edit: Done...The list of participants and piano pieces have been relocated here

Jeff
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
dannylux

Thank you for the convenient links!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission