2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Mike, Glad you decided to join in. I think there will be a few folks wanting to work on the Raindrop (I may be one of them). By the way, you might be amused to know I saved a copy of your Waltz in A-Flat from the last recital in case I decide to work on that one too.

Agilita, nope, no boobs

FurElise, I agree on keeping it simple! (I'll have enough challenge learning these peices)

Jeff
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Opus45:
Hi Nina
We're still pretty much in the discussion phase, but I would imagine that everything you mentioned would likely be part of this group learning experience. However, I might also think if someone is already capable of picking a piece and recording it right off the bat, then they might more likely be offering feedback to others rather than asking for feedback?
Oh, on re-reading my post I can see where you're coming from. No way can I pick up the Raindrop Prelude, for example, and just record it.

I mean, technically I could, but it wouldn't bear much resemblance to what Freddie had in mind when he composed it. help

So, to be clear, we pick a piece from the list, work frantically on it for months, hope we get it into some reasonable, unembarrassed shape, record it, then post it? smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Opus:

Don't overthink this whole thing!, just pick a song, a date and go with it!!. (executive descision time)

I did this with the online recital and it worked out great. Of course, there will be suggestions along the way, but you can't please everyone!. This is YOUR thing, so make the descisions and get it going. We will all follow your command, and if needed, possibly make a few positive suggestions along the way if needed.

Now, "instruct" us on what song, when etc.

C
C
I'm new to this forum. This looks like a good idea. I play mostly classical, so I'll probably be in that group. Chopin is always good, but how come no one has suggested Beethoven? There are a lot of sonata movements that are doable. We just have to find one. Also there are some bagatelles and variations that might be intermediate/early advanced. Some others that I can think of:

Schumann--Kinderscenen (any of these)
Schubert--Impromptu in G (definitely advanced, but how could you not want to play it?)
Debussy--Reverie or Claire de Lune, possibly an arabesque
Mozart--of course
Bach--2 part and 3 part inventions, some preludes
Grieg--some of the Lyric pieces would be doable.

I don't expect you to list all these, but I thought I'd broaden our classical horizons from Chopin only.

" I wish you music to help with the burdens of life, and to help you release your happiness to others."

--Ludwig van Beethoven
I listened to a download of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, it is a beautiful song. It sounds hard, but I would like to see the sheet music for it
to see if I could attempt to play it. So if anybody is gamed to try that song with me , I might be interested. wink

Make music not war
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Cookie74, Glad you're joining in (and welcome to this forum) I'll add you to the list. I'll also add the specific pieces you mentioned on your list of suggestions.

Super-Hunky, Here is the tentative schedule that was proposed over the Memorial Weekend. I am not personally opposed to starting sooner, but I do think this schedule is reasonable enough to accomodate everyone. I also think in the long run, it will be better to get everyone involved in deciding how to organize the group, rather than someone making an executive decision and imposing that on the group.

Tentative Schedule 2006
June Week One: Recruiting & Ideas
June Week Two: Suggestions for piano pieces for the Group (Classical, Jazz, Modern, Other).
June Week Three: Open discussions/suggestions on how to organize the groups & develop a music schedule.
June Week Four: Obtain music (purchase hard copies/download or share?)
July: Start new pieces, in group(s) of choice
August-December: Continued work on pieces and/or start new pieces, as desired.
December: Evaluate Experience & Decide on whether or not to continue in 2007.

Everyone:
It's time to submit piano pieces for consideration. When you do, please indicate who wrote the piece, and in what category the piece belongs (Classical, Jazz, New Age, Modern, Others?) as well as whether you believe the piece should be classified as intermediate or advanced (for the group).

Jeff
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
I listened to a download of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, it is a beautiful song. It sounds hard, but I would like to see the sheet music for it
to see if I could attempt to play it. So if anybody is gamed to try that song with me , I might be interested.
Petrof, I know ShiroKuro will be delighted to hear that. I haven't seen all the sheet music, but here is a portion of it .

So what do you think? [it looks scary to me]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
OPUS: I checked out the portion of the sheet music for The Croatian Rhapsody and now I'm not sure if I could handle it right now. This song reminds me of one of those Bachs Inventions that I found too difficult to play. Maybe in another year I might be ready to try to play the Croatian Rhapsody by Tonci Hulji. I need to move up on my skills level first.

Make music not war
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Petrof. I understand...it does appear to be very challenging (but hey, if you really like the piece, maybe the group could help you get through it?)

Nina
"So, to be clear, we pick a piece from the list, work frantically on it for months, hope we get it into some reasonable, unembarrassed shape, record it, then post it?"
LOL, okay. That could happen I suppose, but worded that way makes it sound like a contest or a preparation for a recital, when really, it's more just a way for us to work on our repertoire with others who might also want to work on the same piece. That's all. It's not going to be an overly formal process, with rules & expectations. Have you ever spent a month or so (or longer?) working on a difficult piece of music that you really wanted to learn? That's really what this group thing is all about...finding others who also want to work on the same piano pieces you want to work on...helping others, getting help from others, commiserating, celebrating, motivating, etc...
But to be clear, recording and posting is NOT required, it is optional.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know what would also be great fun to learn?

The famous Rachmaninoff Prelude in c# minor, Op.3 No.2.

Soft and mysterious in the beginning, with an agitated middle section, it concludes with huge, crashing sfff chords that finally resolve to the quietest ppp.

This Prelude would fit both late-intermediate and early-advanced catagories.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Perhaps some Bach?

I'm working on the French Suite #5 and it's challenging but not rip-your-hair-out hard.

Beethoven's Bagatelles are also nice.
Schubert's German Dances, Op. 33 are great--melodic, fun and short. They're great choices if you want to learn something to play for other people but you don't want to spend more than a few minutes to play them when they're performance-ready.
Mozart's "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" variations--pick as many variations as you want to learn, based on time and ability. (Some are easy, some are tougher.)
Brahms' Waltzes
Bartok's Hungarian Dances
Coates' arrangement of "Ashokan Farewell"

Just some ideas.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Leaving aside any discussions of body parts, I just started a Yahoo group to keep in touch with some coworkers on a project. It's very easy and straightforward, but it has to have an "owner" (which is a funny expression because it's free.) If someone wants us to use a Yahoo group, I'll create it.

Here's a transcription of Croatian Rhapsody,

http://maksimmrvica.com/downloads/scores/

(scroll down a bit, it's there for download)

This version is almost the same as mine, but it doesn't have that yucky section that Opus was kind enough to link.

Petrof1, that section is, IMO, the most difficult part of the piece, and it's only 4 measures, so don't let it scare you away if you're really interested.

BTW, what category would you all put Croatian Rhapsody in?

Hmm, Rach... but if Dannylux says it's late-intermediate, then it's probably too hard for me! I don't suppose anyone has a link to listen to this prelude or check out the score?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
I'd be interested in participating. I might not be the most active contributor for the next few days / a week or so, though. I've had a bit of a rough week, and I've got A/S level exams to boot.

At the moment, I'm pretty much finished learning Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, but I would be interested in learning some of the aforementioned pieces. Clair De Lune is appealing, despite it being somewhat cliché.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The score for Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c# minor is availabe for free here:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1043

I'll see if I can find an mp3 later tonight.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, I found an mp3 of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c# minor here:

Op.3 No.2 in cis-moll

Click on "Скачать" to download the file.

It sounds much, much more difficult to play than it is .

Mel

O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Welcome DoMakeSayThink, we're all glad you're joining in. No problem with being an active/inactive contributor over the next week or so...we've got you covered.

Dannylux, Nina, ShiroKuro & Dannylux: I'll add your suggestions to the growing list.

Question for the group: Does any one else work, or does everyone have all day everyday to spend on their piano repertoire?

[Edit, Dannylux, THANKS for the links...very appreciated]

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Can I commit as a tentative participant?

Dean
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
You bet dk, you're on the list and we're glad you're on it.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Dannylux said:
It sounds much, much more difficult than it is to play.
Mel, with all due respect... I don't believe you! It sounds hard, it looks hard! Wow! eek Seriously, you should play it, it's beautiful and I'd love to hear your rendition.

Originally posted by Opus45:
Question for the group: Does any one else work, or does everyone have all day everyday to spend on their piano repertoire?
laugh ha

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rachmaninoff? Seriously? LOL, I thought Croatian Rhapsody was too hard. That's ridiculous. I may have to re-think this!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission