2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
M
M
Jazzyprof - Etude op. 25 #1 (Aeolian Harp). - Very nice job on what sounds like an extremely challenging piece. Enjoyed!

Mateusz ‘Mati‘ Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads) -- Nice! You play with a lot of charm. Thanks for sharing.

50. GregF - Brahams's Lullaby What a great addition to your daughters CD! I used to play a CD of this for my kids!

51. grotrianer - Prelude 28/17 A flat major Great Job! Veg pizza is my favorite!

52. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - A House Is Not A Home I thought you had a great handle on those chords!

53. babama - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, 18th variation (Rachmaninov, arrangement Pochacco) I am in love with this song and I thought you mastered it!

54. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Ombre Always found this soothing and yours was also

55. mlr1899 - Swipesy Joplin was a genius and you did him honor

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey This tune sounded perfect on your piano and I thought you had a great feel for the song

57. DragonPianoPlayer - Allegro I really like the rhythm you played on this and it was a pleasure to listen to

58. Ozor Mox - The Portrait Wow, beautiful! Can I borrow your recording studio?

59. Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major) Not familiar with this one but I enjoyed it! Always nice to learn new pieces

Plan to complete and do everyone............... smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mary-Rose:
I applaud everyone who has had the courage, motivation and skill to take part in this recital. However I find the sheer size of it overwhelming - and it seems unfair to respond to only a few pieces. Isn't there some way the e-citals could be staggered so there were more, smaller ones instead of this great unwieldy thing?
I know what you mean. With almost four hours of music I find it tough to listen to all much less respond. My strategy this time is to respond first to those that took the time to comment on the last recital and go from there. I have listened to almost everything however. Truly a great recital.

Hey Mati... many thanks! You really made my day. smile

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
However I find the sheer size of it overwhelming - and it seems unfair to respond to only a few pieces. Isn't there some way the e-citals could be staggered so there were more, smaller ones instead of this great unwieldy thing?
Yes, as the recitals get more successful and the number of participants increases, it *does* get harder to comment on each one individually. I'm not sure having more recitals is the answer, as it's entirely possible that we'd end up having more recitals that are just as big if not bigger. eek

I personally think that nobody should feel "obligated" to comment on all pieces, especially as the number of pieces increases. I usually comment on all the first-time submitters, and then get to as many others as I can.

I'm planning on writing all my comments on the plane this Wed. as I fly to SF for the Einaudi concert. Can't think of anything better to do on a 5-hour trip. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
However I find the sheer size of it overwhelming - and it seems unfair to respond to only a few pieces. Isn't there some way the e-citals could be staggered so there were more, smaller ones instead of this great unwieldy thing?
I kinda like having these really big recitals a few times (is it 4?) a year. It makes them special, gives us time to learn new pieces, and with the streaming capability we have now (thanks Mahlzeit!) it's fun listening to the whole thing while fixing dinner or grading exams. smile

I agree with Monica that no one should feel obligated to respond to every single piece. I also realize that we all love getting a pat on the back so I suspect I might feel a little "misunderappreciated" (a Bushism wink ) if no one commented on my piece. So, I have a suggestion: for each recital, why don't we have 3 or maybe 4 volunteer "first responders" whose task is to divvy up the recital submissions and comment on the ones assigned to them. For example, with 75 submissions and 3 "first responders" each one gets to review 25 performances. This will ensure that every performer gets at least one personalized pat on the back. The volunteer reviewers need not be recital participants but can be drawn from the entire Piano World membership. I suggest that at the same time the announcement for the recital is posted, we also put out a call for 3 or 4 volunteer reviewers. Of course everyone can still continue to post reviews of some, all, or none of the performances. What do you think?

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I agree that no one should feel obligated to comment on every piece. For me, when that's what happens, we lose the conversational feel of being in the lobby after the concert discussing what we heard with our friends - there's not as much back-and-forth and discussion of particulars, and it gets lost - like asking each other how a particular recording setup was made, or whether we play other pieces like the one we submitted, or commenting on sort of tangential issues like similar pieces we play or how we practised trills, or whatever.

Having said that, I do comment on all of them if I get the time, but I haven't done that every recital, because, like all of us, my circumstances and available time change. So I think one should not hesitate to comment on just those pieces that particularly spoke to you or inspired you or whatever, or even to give all-around congratulations and thanks. This is a community of beginning piano players, and it's nice if that's front and center.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jazzyprof:
I suspect I might feel a little "misunderappreciated" (a Bushism wink ) if no one commented on my piece.
Everyone gets a medal.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
O
O
Mary-Rose wrote:
I find the sheer size of it overwhelming - and it seems unfair to respond to only a few pieces. Isn't there some way the e-citals could be staggered so there were more, smaller ones instead of this great unwieldy thing?
For me, it is the very act of making a submission that I profit the most from, and just seeing my submission appearing in the list along side so many others of greater talent than me is reward enough. The more submissions there are, the more successful I view the recital, and the more I will want to submit again myself in the future. I certainly would be disappointed if these recitals were reorganized in such a way as to restrict the number of submissions, especially if that was done for the reason that some people were feeling overly obligated to comment on my submission.

I can see that many people do seem to enjoy taking part in the feedback aspect of these recitals, and I admit that I like to read someone else’s comments about mine, but for me it is not a necessary part of the process. I profit in so many other ways (too numerous to mention here) that even if no one comments on my submission I will not lose my enthusiasm for making another submission at the next recital.

I do specify critical constructive feedback when I make my submission. But I view that more as permission than a request. Essentially I am saying that anyone who really wants to can feel free to do so, but certainly no one should feel obligated. I will not be disappointed if I do not receive even a single feedback comment. Indeed, I don’t realistically expect every single participant in the recital to even listen to my submission, especially if my submitted piece is not particularly interesting to them.

I myself have not commented on other submissions because I am not yet proficient or knowledgeable enough in music to do so. But as I gain proficiency, I expect to be doing so for a few selected pieces that for one reason or another are of special interest to me. But I certainly do not feel obligated to comment on all of them.

Perhaps one way to make the size of the recital seem less overwhelming is to think that there are about 90 days between recitals. With about 75 submissions, that gives you more than a whole day to listen to each one.

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
So now I'll post this in the *right* thread:

Mr. super-hunky - a great piece, and so well-played. I love the way people play so confidentally around here. I always sound far tentative than I think I am when I listen to play-backs, but your piece was really professional and lovely.

mati - this does sound like movie music, and very high-quality movie music. You did a wonderful job - very contemplative, nicely bringing out the melody.

flyingfroggy - another piece that is becoming one of my favorites from hearing it here in the ABF recitals. This was so well done. I'm always impressed by the pieces ABFers play and the great interpretative powers they have - very nice.

Laura D - thanks for this piece. Scarlatti is another composer from my favorite era, and you did a wonderful job of making this lively and keeping it moving - perfect for this piece.

Paul Cast - more great music from an earlier time - this moved along very nicely - lively, spritely.

Euphonatrix - I like all the pieces I've heard people play from this Album. You did a great job. Are Galileo and Pythagoras young squeakers?

Pixie's Friend - another one of my very favorite pieces. When I restarted playing piano I played thru my copy of Anna's Notebook and a similar compilation by Mozart many many times. You played this beautifully.

Casyopea - I was really intrigued by the title of this piece. It's a lovely piece, and your take on it was very nice. I also enjoyed watching the video - I find it really instructive to watch physically how others play and get their sounds. The ease with which people play sort of finds its way into my subconscious. Ok, I *hope* it does smile

Serge88 - fine job, and again, I really enjoyed the video. You seemed to never miss one of those moves from a high octave to a low one - the care you take in your playing really led to good results - musicality, expressiveness - very nice.

Copper - couldn't resist another Lennon-McCartney tune here. I liked this a lot. Since it was from a fake book I take it this was your own arrangement - well done.

LaValse - another short and sweet piece, charmingly played.

LisztAddict - I loved this, and very well-played. As I say, never too much Bach for my taste.

MarkL/Mark Leininger - Wow! This was terrific! I smiled at the "cuckoo" all the way thru it! I loved it.

Undone - Jim - Well, it's getting to the point where there can't be too much Chopin for me, either (no! no! don't rope me into the Chopin thread!) This was lovely, and well-played.

Oxford's Gal - what a great piece! This is the kind of piece that I would have played "just the notes" on when I was a teenager learning, but someone like you can make real/actual music of. It takes a sensitivity I didn't/don't have, and admire very much.

Extraghost - "College sucks =( " hahahahahahahahahaha. It only gets worse =( Well, maybe not. But enev working part-time like I do often doesn't really leave me the flexibility I think I'd to have (the "be careful what you wish for" caution). All that aside, tho, this was really a very nice piece and you played it well.

Well, I've finished reading the paper this Sunday afternoon, so I'm off to do some chores. But it's a wonderful recital.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Rustyfingers and Deep Elem -

Part of the reason that I have some hope that my "licks to improv" strategy might have some success is that it seems to me that's kind of what happened in my learning to play oom-pah accompaniment. I remember playing for hours (24? smile ) figuring out all the bass note runs I possibly could for one piece, and only being able to play them for that once piece for a while. But as I started putting them into other pieces they came much more easily, and then I started to be able to do them spontaneously. Same with right hand waggles and inversions and rhythmic stuff. The only thing that might stand in the way is - do I have enough time left in my life to let this process happen laugh ? In Stone's Rag it did turn out that I mixed and matched the parts in ways that I hadn't strictly practised, and the "bounces" in open 5ths/6ths that I used in the 2nd variation are now pretty easy, having started learning them with the Joplin piece I did in my first recital. So I have some evidence that it will work - maybe not efficiently, but in such a way that I can still play the things I have to have ready for a gig and acquire new skills at the same time.

Cathy

Cathy
G
G
This was my first ABF recital and I'm enjoying the whole experience thoroughly. Thanks to all who contributed by posting, listening, commenting and of course to those who got the whole thing up and running. I was very pleased to find some fellow beginners among the crowd; overall, the skill level is of course very high, as always.

I have to admit that I feel a bit guilty because quite a few of you satisfied my vanity with your kind comments on my submission and I'm not posting anything myself (except this pamphlet, of course).

I too feel a bit overwhelmed by sheer size. In a sense, that's a sign of success, but perhaps an undesired side effect nevertheless (if you go to a store where the quality is so sensational that you have to wait for hours in line at the register, that somewhat spoils the experience).

What about having the recitals more frequently, with limited size (15 submissions, say), with preference given to those with fewer submissions in the previous recitals? The idea would be to have approximately the same material as now, but chopped into smaller, more easily digested chunks. (I don't know if this is really feasible; seems to require a partial rewriting of the software.) Or perhaps somewhat less formally we could just run something like 10 recitals, and each member is expected to submit to at most 3 of these!?

Beginner, started in Summer 2006, self-taught
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks to all our beautiful contributors, and Hall of Fame level kudos to Monica and Mahlzeit for their ongoing efforts!

Don't know if I'll comment on all 77, but for now here is every 5th one:

01. Lisztener - "Gone"
A nice relaxing start. Very well played. The mood changes kept me interested throughout (and anxious to hear the rest of the recital!)

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp)
Very impressive. I don't think there are enough decades left in my life to ever play that well, but it was an inspiration anyway. You are indeed The Jazzy Prof!

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi
I play this piece too, ans it's one of my favorites. I loved your interpretation. I tend to play it like I'm beating a drum. Your dynamics and delicate tempo changes gave me some new ideas to try.

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2
Wow! Very dramatic. I've always been a little intimidated by Rachmaninoff. Ok, a lot intimidated. But you seem to do it effortlessly. Very impressive.

21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358
A uplifting piece. Nicely played. The ornaments do sound fun.

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G
Another of my favs! I also learned this piece at around 6 months and still enjoy playing it (I'm 2 years now). Good tempo and very clean.

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2
A very enjoyable piece, plus some interesting notes on classical music history (especially for uncultured slobs like me who never heard anything without electric guitars before age 50). Well played.

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca
Very nice! I'm going thru a Mozart phase, so I really enjoyed this. It's one I'd like to try as well someday.

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled)
Very impressive for 4 months and your first recording. I look forward to hearing your progress in recitals to come!

46. Manndrew - You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To
Just beautiful. A lovely piece played very well. I think you found a good tempo -- I can see how that would be hard on a piece like this!

51. grotrianer - Prelude 28/17 A flat major
Very enjoyable. I'm so glad you decided to become "serious." A very professional sounding contribution.

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey
A nice change from so much classical. Your play sounds very relaxed and effortless. Your CW sounds great (I have one too, but prefer to record via midi).

61. Oxfords Gal - Clowns OP 39 No. 20
I loved this! Very fun, and played very crisply. Thanks for contributing!

66. ddh - Daniel - Wiegenliedchen 124.6 (Little lullaby)
Very nice. Your interpretation really brought out the emotion in the piece. I would never have known it was your first classical effort.

71. Mark... - Spooky Story & American Hymn
Spooky indeed! A very interesting medley. I think Alfred should pay you as a spokesman for all the good PR you give their courses!

76. Extraghost - River Flows In You
I love this piece! It's definitely on my wish list, and your rendition may have moved it up a slot or two. Very impressive for 11 months!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I applaud everyone who has had the courage, motivation and skill to take part in this recital. However I find the sheer size of it overwhelming - and it seems unfair to respond to only a few pieces. Isn't there some way the e-citals could be staggered so there were more, smaller ones instead of this great unwieldy thing?
You could always randomly select a few rather than commenting on them all. At least if it's random you won't make anyone feel deliberately left out smile

Or, have a quick look through the existing posts and see if there are any pieces yet to receive a comment, then comment on those ones.

I'm still in the process of listening to the submissions, there's some really good pieces smile This is a great way to get a bit of exposure to some new pieces to attempt at a later date laugh

Congratulations to everyone that submitted a piece, comments to follow.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hmmmm....

would it make sense to stretch it out a little. I'm not sure how we would do this but I know that the recital seems to die off a little after the first week.

Maybe we could have comments only on the first 20 or so for the first few days, 21-40 next...etc...

or....Maybe the firt-time entries should get reviews first and the rest of us should wait for a week or so.... something that would inspire us to keep listening to the recital and commenting on it for more than the "life' of it's first few days. Could we prioritize??

just some random thoughts..... off to review the next 20....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G Great playing, very truthful to Bach's style. Bravo!

27. Serge88 - Imagine Whoa! A classic! Superb Serge - my dad came to listen to your playing instantly after hearing few notes.

28. Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World What A Wonderful Performance!

29. Copper - Here There and Everywhere Very nice, Copper!

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada Sounds tricky! I'm not familiar with many pieces by Albeniz but it was extremely enjoyable and in control!

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2 I love Scriabin and his little short gems like this one. Great job, LaValse! I somehow missed your entry in Piano Bar, so I'm very glad you posted it here.

32. joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words Simply great. The Songs Without Words collection is amazing.

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1 Not Liszt, but still Addicting.

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major I'm jealous. Bach was never my strong side - I will have to work on this one! Great playing Gary.

35. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto Great balance, steady rhythm, well chosen speed and real feel for Clementi. Good job!

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca Very nice playing Brian!

37. Ken S. - Chopin a minor waltz (posthumous) Beautiful Chopin - very clear!

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag Raggy stonny rag yoo hoo! Keep it up!

39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled) Enjoyed this one very much! Galileo and Pythagoras must be cute smile

40. Daren - Le Onde Lovely Le Onde in a masterful performance.

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled) I'm glad you entered! Very nice playing!

---------

More to come.

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled) I always liked the selections from this album,didn't know he had an untitled one,how interesting ! I enjoyed your playing of it.

40. Daren - Le Onde You did a lovely job with one of Einauldis most outstanding works, breathtaking!

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled) Congrats on first recording and working out Bachs mysterious fingering!

42. WJ3 - Walt - Minuet in G Major Congrats on first recording. Good job on this classic minuet.

43. mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie Love the name of your song! I felt as though you were telling me a story through your music!

44. Eighty8 - My One And Only LoveVery Romantic tune and great cocktail piano.

45. MarkL/Mark Leininger - Le Coucou (The Cuckoo) You presented a nice a lively tempo!

46. Manndrew - You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To What a romantic tune and you really presented it so well.

47. Greywullf - Trois Nouvelles Etude No. 3 in AbSounds like a difficult piece that I am sure was hard work and you did splendid.

48. Undone – Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3. My favorite Etude, I can only dream of playing it as well as you do.

49. RobM - Giorni Dispari I am a fan of Einauldi and I thought you did a splendid job with this piece.

that's it for a while till I listen to the rest, still going backwards smile

Wow - 77 entries - I will comment on about half now...

01. Lisztener - "Gone" This was a fabulous first entry to the recital! Were your slide show photos also taken in Columbus? Some look vaguely familiar. Very nice song!

02. dannylux / Mel - Glinka Nocturne in E flat Very enjoyable and you captured the 'sweet romance' quite well.

03. AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino 10 months? Wow! My wife said, "that piece makes me feel like dancing..." - she's a lyrical dancer. Enough said.

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881 Excellent first entry - didn't sound like you were nervous at all.

05. Mr. super-hunky - *Magicland* I think melancholy is another adjective for this piece - definitely not creepy - and is typically well-composed and played.

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp) A nice, flowing sound that really finished nicely!

07. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads) This was a moving piece and I see why you like the melody - very fine playing.

08. Peyton - The Last Man Alive This gave me a feeling of a Hitchcock mystery, many of which revolve around isolated characters like in this song. Very creative!

09. Monica K. - Fairest Lord Jesus I love how David's hymn arrangements flow between the traditional melodies and his arpeggios and you played it beautifully!

10. Knotty - Just Friends - Improvisation Etude Nice jazz trio improv! Where's the tip jar?

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi You played this nice song very well!

13. b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River What a great old show tune and you carried it along nicely! Great video as well!

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue A classic rendition and you played it quite movingly!

15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk What a soothing song and your touch is just right.

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2 What a challenging piece and it sounded great!

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi Nice going from a fellow first-timer!

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum Very solid playing of this cheerful song.

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting This is such a beautiful song and your rendition was very nice.

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams ) Very well done - 9 months? Wow!

21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358 Nice playing of this fun little Baroque piece.

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila Anyone for a circle dance? Hey!

23. Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections) Yes, it's beautiful and you played it very well!

24. Casyopea - Radio Ballet You really have a great ear for this song - nicely performed especially by ear!

25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14) I like this collection of little songs and you did a nice job on this one.

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G Great touch! You play like you've been at it much longer than 6 months!

27. Serge88 - Imagine Maybe you're lucky *and* getting better smile This was nice to listen to and watch. (I'm glad there is a heaven!)

28. Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World I was waiting for you to start singing along! Very nice playing!

29. Copper - Here There and Everywhere You really gave this popular song a nice feel!

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada I hope I can play like that someday! Nice variety in your song selection.

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2 I'm not familiar with this piece so I was just getting into it and it ended. Well played!

32. joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words I'm going to get some of this music - it is very pleasing and your playing was lovely.

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1 I love this song - you did a wonderful job with it!

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major Your ornamentation sounded nice and the tempo was very crisp.

35. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto This was very well played and quite enjoyable!

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca A pretty tough piece - great job!

37. Ken S. - Chopin a minor waltz (posthumous) You made that old piano sound pretty good!

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag Sure got my toes tapping on this one! What fun and nice playing!

39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled) I must have missed the aviary accompaniment but your playing didn't need it!

The second half comments to follow later... this is very impressive and inspiring!

Whatever you do, do it from the heart...
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
31 La Valse - Prelude Op2, Scriabin
A nice little piece well played. Short, sweet, and near perfection.

32 joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
I'm not really familiar with the piece, but it sounds as though you nailed it to me. Very nice.

33 LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1
What an interesting piece. I thought when I read the title that you were playing some sort of medley. I didn't realize that you meant both together. I really enjoyed the result. I like your tempo. I always feel that both of the well known pieces of this title are meant to be played rather slowly. I find it irritating when they are played too quickly, especially in light of the fact that I cannot even play them well at the slower tempos. laugh As always your touch is wonderful, and your playing flawless to my ears. Great performance!

34 Gary001 - Minuet in G Major
Gary, you are doing terrifically for a self taught musician of only eight months. I am impressed with your effort. It will only get better, too! Keep up the great work.

35 Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto, Muzio Clementi
Nice job, Paul. You kept a nice steady rhythm through the more difficult passages. That is not easily accomplished. I enjoyed listening to your fine performance.

36 Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca, Mozart
Brian, any movement from a Mozart sonata is no mean accomplishment. I know I always found this piece very difficult back in my days of piano study (now I just play at it rather than working at it.) Yes, there are a couple of problem areas, but I have no doubt that you will get them worked out soon. Nice dynamics. I always enjoy hearing this one. Great job!

37 Ken S. - Chopin A minor waltz (posthumous)
Nice job, Ken. This is not an easy piece to play correctly. You did a great job.

38 jotur (Cathy Turner) - Stone's Rag
That is a really fun piece, Cathy. I enjoyed listening. It sounds terribly difficult, so I can appreciate the hard work that went into it. I loved listening.

39 Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled), Robert Schumann
Wonderful job. The piece is very pretty. This is one I have not heard before, and it's always fun hearing "new" music. The birds are not really loud enough to be distracting. Galileo and Pythagoras, what fun names for pets!

40 Daren - Le Onde, Ludovico Einaudi
Another familiar Einaudi piece. Well, it's only familiar to me from here, but I've heard it played a number of times now. It sounds a difficult piece to play, and you played it very well. Nice dynamics and timing. By the way, congratulations on your first ever recording. You don't appear to have been nervous at all.

41 Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled), Bach
Congratulations to you as well for your first ever recording. Nice job, particularly after only four months' playing time. You are progressing very quickly!

42 WJ3 - Walt - Minuet in G Major, Bach
This is certainly a popular piece for this recital. Nice job, Walt. Another nice rendition of this ever popular classic. Don't laugh, but I kept thinking, "is this piece supposed to be this long?' It turns out I had downloaded it twice, and my player played it twice. laugh

43 mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie, mahlzeit
Your piece certainly fits its title. It has a very mellow, sentimental sound. I always enjoy your pieces, and this is one of your best.

44 Eighty8 - My One and Only Love, Robert Mellon & Guy Wood
I like what you did with the ending. I really enjoyed what you did with this song which is only vaguely familiar to me. Great job.

45 MarkL / Mark Leininger - Le Coucou (The Cuckoo), Louis-Claude Daquin
I'm not certain how this piece is supposed to sound, either. You made it sound like a cuckoo, though. Therefore, your interpretation is probably correct. Nice job.

46 Manndrew - you'd Be So Nice to Come Home To, Cole Porter
You have a very unique interpretation of this song. While it is mostly a bluesy sound, it also reminds me a bit of the country-western pianist, Floyd Cramer in places. I'm a sucker for Cole Porter songs, and I enjoyed this a good deal. Thanks!

47 Greywullf - Trois Nouvelles Etude No. 3 in Ab, Chopin
Difficult piece. Well done. See, I can be concise sometimes. wink

48 Undone - Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3., Chopin
A more familiar (and to me more listenable) Chopin piece than the previous submission. Excellent job on one of Chopin's most familiar pieces. By the way, Jim, we really don't mind listening to multiple submissions of the same piece. I mean, we've had three Minuets in G thus far, and I wouldn't mind another.

49 RobM - Giorni Dispari, Ludovico Einaudi
Rob, I think you do the piece justice now. I haven't kept score, but I think Einaudi may be right up there with Chopin and Bach in popularity this recital. And why not; he is a marvelous composer. Great job!

50 GregF - Brahms's Lullaby, Johannes Brahms
I like the idea of the bedtime CD. Your daughter will love it. A pretty piece well played. Hmm . . . JB, I wonder? My sister's father-in-law is called J. B. He claims they are not initials and do not stand for anything, but I wonder. Could it stand for Johannes Brahms? Maybe Johann Bach? Bergmuller? No, definitely not him. laugh

My goodness; I am still enjoying every minute of this recital. You've all done very well, as "Young" Mr. Grace used to say on Are You Being Served?. I am looking forward to the rest when time permits.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jotur:
Rustyfingers and Deep Elem -

Part of the reason that I have some hope that my "licks to improv" strategy might have some success is that it seems to me that's kind of what happened in my learning to play oom-pah accompaniment. I remember playing for hours (24? smile ) figuring out all the bass note runs I possibly could for one piece, and only being able to play them for that once piece for a while. But as I started putting them into other pieces they came much more easily, and then I started to be able to do them spontaneously. Same with right hand waggles and inversions and rhythmic stuff. The only thing that might stand in the way is - do I have enough time left in my life to let this process happen laugh ? In Stone's Rag it did turn out that I mixed and matched the parts in ways that I hadn't strictly practised, and the "bounces" in open 5ths/6ths that I used in the 2nd variation are now pretty easy, having started learning them with the Joplin piece I did in my first recital. So I have some evidence that it will work - maybe not efficiently, but in such a way that I can still play the things I have to have ready for a gig and acquire new skills at the same time.

Cathy
This is really interesting. I have nothing of substance to add, but thanks for explaining how you did it. Maybe I can give it a try sometime--if I can put in the hard work you obviously have.

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Gary001 suggested picking pieces at random to review. Good idea! Being a bit on the geeky side, I used a random number generator to select the pieces below.

03. AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino
A beautiful piece. The mood, the constant movement, and all those broken chords, brought to mind the music from the movie "The Piano". I thought your playing was very expressive and captured the feeling perfectly!

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881
Listening to this, I was once again reminded what a genius Bach was, with elaborate harmony and counterpoint well ahead of his time! Well done! I really enjoyed listening and hope you continue to participate. P.S. Like that name, too!

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1
I love that piece so much that, if I could play it, I probably wouldn't play anything else! Masterfully done, very moving.

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major
Great job, Gary, I enjoyed listening to it. Nice movement, nice touch.

43. mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie
Sentimental indeed! Very nice, contemplative mood, very consistent, and with a sense of finality at the end. Well done!

46. Manndrew - You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To
Manndrew, it so happens that I have that songbook, and I am amazed at how much you added to the original arrangement (which would have been hard enough to play, for me). Very creative rhythmic accompaniment throughout. Well done!

47. Greywullf - Trois Nouvelles Etude No. 3 in Ab
Uhm, Greywullf - just how many hands do you have anyway? Just kidding. It sounds like a very difficult piece to play, but you played it extremely well. Good job!

53. babama - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, 18th variation (Rachmaninov, arrangement Pochacco)
I should say about this piece exactly the same thing I said about LisztAddict's piece above (Ave Maria), namely: "if I could play it, I probably wouldn't play anything else! Masterfully done, very moving."

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey
Nice, bluesy, swing feeling to your playing, RF. It brought back good memories, too. Relaxed and laid back. Great job!

57. DragonPianoPlayer - Allegro
Nice touch, good tempo, good feel. Well done!

Once again I am really impressed at the talent that people bring to this forum. And I suspect it is absolutely unique in all of human experience, that an assemblage of talented people like this can interact so civilly!!!

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission