2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I went to Scott the Piano Guy's workshop last night. I enjoyed it. He is a talented entertainer, and well worth the $25.00 fee to see him in person and listen to him speak about his own piano journey.

(I currently play written sheet music, but I am always looking for new methods of advancement.)

Back to the workshop....The audience was for the most part... "total beginners" and in fact, many reported that they could not read a single note of written music. I wondered if other PW folks had taken this workshop and if so, what your results were?

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
Ivory, I went to the workshop as well. I enjoyed it, Scott is an engaging presenter and seems like a real nice guy as well, but I learned almost nothing. This is not at all because of his teaching -- which I find quite effective -- but rather that most all of what he presented, I'm already quite familiar with. One of my big problems is not understanding what is required, it is smoothly executing what is required. Also, I would have preferred more emphasis on simple techniques for dressing up the tunes. Clearly in a program as short as this and with a diverse audience, a teacher can only do so much. In any case, on balance, I'm glad I attended.

OP Offline
EXACTLY! I have one friend that doesn't even play the piano, she wanted to come with me just to listen to him present. (An important family thing kept her at home). She watches him each week on public TV.

I enjoyed the presentation, and was happy to get an autograph on his fake book that I previously purchased. But as far as knowing how to properly play from a lead sheet, I need more.

I ordered the kit he offered at the workshop, I was disappointed that he didn't have a stack of his regular products to preview and purchase.

Scott offers a "master class" that is a lot of money, but I have never spoken to someone that actually attended one of those. Have you?

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
G
G
Originally posted by Ivory Dreams:

I enjoyed the presentation, and was happy to get an autograph on his fake book that I previously purchased. But as far as knowing how to properly play from a lead sheet, I need more.

Check out http://www.poppianopro.com/. It is a course/book written by another PianoWorld member, Pete the Bean. It has been very helpful to me in learning about playing from lead sheets.

Greg

OP Offline
Thanks for the tip, Greg. I visited that site. I couldn't get the MP3 files to load, but I'll try again, another time.

I spent just more than $200 on a package by Robert Laughlin on Saturday and I will be im-patiently waiting for the UPS man for a few days. Scott Houston gave it a satisfaction guaranteed or your money back promise and so I thought... what the heck....

[Linked Image]

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It was one of Scott's infomercials on public TV for a fundraiser that got me started, well that and a certain amount of serendipity. I did not use his program but he did get me going and I have to thank him for that.

I forgot all about his program on public TV. I have to track it own. I though it was very good.

Thanks Scott!

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ivory Dreams,
I'm curious about the Robert Laughlin package.
When I first got interested in piano about 14 years ago, I went to a workshop at the local library led by someone who was working with Robert Laughlin materials. His operation was called the New School of American Music. I bought a few of the books and tapes and it was what first got me going playing popular music from lead sheets. I still have his books and tapes here in my library.
I thought his materials were pretty well done, but of course this was some time ago. I didn't know if he was still around.
Is Scott Huston associated with him? I'll be curious to hear what you think of the materials.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've watched many of the series episodes..the guests he has on are great..I'm not sure if the DVDs are expanded versions of the TV shows which might go into greater detail..I'm sure Scott can answer those questions..I'm a fan of the show regardless...I hope he does another season.. smile

OP Offline
Stevester, If you haven't caught them already... a lot of Scott's work and also his guests are on U-Tube. I believe he told us that he has been renewed for another season on Public TV. He also has some new DVD's coming out with a couple of hours of instruction that will address playing one song like a pro. He has a new Fake book coming out in January.

Yes, Bob, I am also a fan, (I was a fan before I owned a piano). I have one of Scott's DVD's and I would compare it to the one of the pledge presentations on Public TV. The live workshop was also a lot like one of the pledge shows. Everyone enjoyed it. It was well worth the cost of the registration.

EP, Scott told us that he has an agreement with Robert Laughlin to offer his material to the folks that attend his workshops. He explained that Robert had done a wonderful job of taking playing from a fake book to the next level and that he saw no reason to work "that hard" when Robert had already done the necessary work to produce a similar product. The selection that I ordered was called the "Master Pack" it contains 13 Audio CD's and 5 Books. (Deluxe Blues/Boogie Woogie, Continuing Chord Piano, How to Play Piano by Ear, Power Cords, Intros & Endings, Bonus Study Guide. I will be very happy to share my thoughts about the materials when I get them.

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
Originally posted by Bob Newbie:
I've watched many of the series episodes..the guests he has on are great..I'm not sure if the DVDs are expanded versions of the TV shows which might go into greater detail..I'm sure Scott can answer those questions..I'm a fan of the show regardless...I hope he does another season.. smile
I have just learned that Scott is a member of this forum. Perhaps he will "chime in" and give us an update on what to look for next season.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission