2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
31 members (Greta99, cmoody31, dima5222, CyberGene, Evgeny Baturin, Frédéric L, blueviewlaguna., Charles Cohen, 7 invisible), 416 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Recital VII -- August 15, 2007
#1001035 08/15/07 02:46 AM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD.

OK folks, here it is, our seventh quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital. So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room and all critical discussion to the Critical Discussion Room. Thank you.

Each participant in the recital has provided a direct link to the original recording. For the convenience of forum members, I've normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of five zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files (along with past recitals) have been posted at the following URL:

http://www.esnips.com/web/PWRecitals

Let me express my greatest thanks to three people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; Bob Muir for working out the technical details of pulling together the recital and doing so tirelessly for the first six, count 'em, six, recitals; and Copper for hosting the zip files and trouble-shooting my initial efforts at creating them.

Recital VII part 1 zip file
Recital VII part 2 zip file
Recital VII part 3 zip file
Recital VII part 4 zip file
Recital VII part 5 zip file

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital VII -- August 15, 2007
#1001036 08/15/07 02:56 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Lisztener
Experience: As a boy 10-12 years old, self-taught on and off (mostly off) until stopping in 1990. Resumed playing August, 2006. Started lessons again late December 2006. Not taking lessons, now.
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/us4qncrnok
Title of piece/composer: “Moonlight Sonata” 1st movement by Ludwig Van Beethoven
Source of music: Sheet music
Instrument used: Kawai MP8 digital piano
Recording method: Digital to PC using Mellow Piano, Hall 1 reverb, and tweaked reverb time and depth on MP8
Feedback wanted: Yes
Additional Info: If you were to ask me to play my favorite piece of music, this would be my choice. The first movement of Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” is probably the most played piece of all classical piano music (check YouTube for example), and though it has been in three of the six previous ABF recitals, I feel compelled to share my version with you. As you listen, let your imagination follow mine to a concert hall where a dimly lit nine-foot concert grand awaits us. The hall is large and empty except for you and me. You are on stage in a lounge chair close to me as I present my music to you. If my cheeks are moist as I play, please understand that you are listening to the melody of my soul in a piece that I have loved above all others since boyhood. I give my love to you as I play.

#1001037 08/15/07 02:58 AM

OP Offline

Performer’s Name: AdagioM (Michele)
Experience: 8.5 years AB (7 years lessons, teacherless for the last year)
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/ti5abdnxhs
Title of piece/composer: Sonata in F major K332, Adagio, by WA Mozart
Source of music: sheet music
Instrument used: Weinbach 170 grand
Recording method: Audacity on my PC, mono mic hanging from the prop stick.
Feedback wanted: sure
Additional Info: This was my spring project; I started it in March. When my husband was in the hospital for 8 days in early June, I would run home, play just this piece, just to stay in the AB MOYD club, and then go back to the hospital. That's when it started to feel like "my" piece. The ending is a little shaky, because I couldn't believe I was almost done! I know I can do better, but I don't have time between now and the 14th, so here it is, warts and all.

#1001038 08/15/07 02:59 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: dannylux (Mel)
Experience: A year and a half after returning (lots as a kid)
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/5mksypj8q5
Title of piece/composer: Ilusión Y Desengaño by Tomás León
Source of music: PDF
Instrument used: Yamaha P140
Recording method: Audacity, line out to line in
Additional Info: Tomás León (1826-1893, Mexico City), unknown in the US, wrote some incredibly charming music. This piece, "Illusion and Disappointment" is my favorite of the 15-20 pieces of his I've found on the web. It's about a love story. The piece opens with a flourish of arpeggios, the excitement of a new love, which leads to the tender and sweet main theme in G flat major, marked Andante armoroso. The second theme, in e flat minor is marked Allegro furioso, so something has gone horribly wrong with the relationship. The first theme returns, and then the piece closes with some anguish and hand-wringing, and then acceptance. Or perhaps he's moved on to another illusion. An alternate interpretation could be Tomas Leon's illusion and disappointment with arpeggios, I suppose. The piece is loaded with them. I hope you enjoy this lovely, unknown piece of music.

#1001039 08/15/07 03:00 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen)
Experience: 30 years on and off, mostly off - self taught
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/9s6yn6232b
Title of piece/composer: To a Wild Rose by E. MacDowell
Source of music: Sheet Music
Instrument used: Clavinova - Direct Line
Recording method: Audacity
Additional Info: At my last lesson, my teacher (who is constantly trying to get me away from playing Chopin all the time,) played this lovely piece for me. I thought it charming and it was just my style…slow and easy. I guess it is a standard classical piece although I had never heard it before.

#1001040 08/15/07 03:01 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: C7 Player (Greg Smith)
Experience: Restarted 12/13/2006 after a 6 year break. 10 years off & on (mostly off) before that
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/7xj871eipf
Title of piece/composer: Gnossiennes No. 1 / Erik Satie
Source of music: Sheet music
Instrument used: Yamaha C7
Recording method: Zoom H4
Additional Info: With apologies to ShiroKuro who (I believe) said Satie was her least favorite composer!

#1001041 08/15/07 03:03 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: sid (Van Hoang)
Experience: 11 months
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/fzvd6ccfm6
Title of piece/composer: Photo Jaunie by Andre Gagnon
Instrument used: YPG625 with Akoustik
Recording method: digital to PC
Additional Info: For my father, to whom I owe everything. I miss you.

#1001042 08/15/07 03:04 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Peyton
Experience:35 years on and off
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/0el2e19x22
Title of piece/composer:From foreign Lands and People, Opus 15, Schumann
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used: Young Chang grand
Recording method: Metro on Mac
Feedback wanted: yes
Additional Info: I was dead set on recording the Fantasia Impromptu but after hours of failed attempts realized that even if I could get it recorded it would just not be enjoyable listening. Alas. So just so I could still participate I recorded this little work by Schumann which I love. I've heard it played quite slow and quite fast (Schumann has it marked as quarter note = 108.). I opted for somewhere in the middle.

#1001043 08/15/07 03:05 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Mr Super-Hunky
Experience: 3 years, 3 mos of self "noodling", no lessons
Direct music link: www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/Christoforimedley.mp3
Title of piece/composer: Who knows, Christofori's nightmare could work!
Source of music: Mepron (Atavaquone)
Instrument used: Roland KR-7 digital
Recording method: dragging pc/monitor next to piano and using Audacity
Feedback wanted: Okay, but be cautious as I may snap back!
Additional Info: I wouldn't mind using a free pass if I have any left as this submission is an absolute mess. I haven't learned anything new in quite some time as my level of concentration is very poor right now. While this may be a partial excuse on my part, my meds are really making me wacky and this really is all I am capable at the moment. 4 more months to go and hopefully I will be somewhat normal again..(mentally anyway).

Well, for anyone still interested, this tune is a highly improvised version of sections of Christofori's ream that start out fairly subdued and just end up getting out of control. Near the end of the piece, I almost lose control of my playing but somehow manage to barely real it back in and recover. I am not proud of this submission and know I can do much better, but I really wanted to be a part of the recital and am really looking forward to the future when I can hopefully learn new tunes and perform them in a way that I am proud of. For now, this will just have to do; sorry.

#1001044 08/15/07 03:06 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Seaside_Lee
Experience: 4 years in October (is it really that long? time flies!)
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/vqvyigrgyk
Title of piece/composer: Its my own composition/imagining based on the Rocky Theme
Source of music: played-by-ear pianomagically
Instrument used: Played on a Yamaha CLP170PE
Recording method: recorded by midi file through a Yamaha Motif Rack ES into audacity
Additional Info: Long Story so here goes:-

Yesterday morning I took the morning off and spent it at home with my eldest son and we watched the "Rocky Balboa" movie together....after learning early into the film that "Yo Adrian" has died a large part of the remainder of the film is kinda reflective and sad...and they kinda linger on something similar to this, a lot

So, after watching the movie I felt a little sad for most of the day, and got to thinking about my mum and how dad misses her every day and ....well...

last night I was trying to record something for this recital and I was feeling sad and nothing was really working out so in the middle of recording I just went off on one and started playing some other stuff and doodling and then this just came out...I had left the recorder running and just captured this piece of music quite by accident.

To be honest I don't really remember recording it, which is kinda freaky??

It just came out like this!..when I played it back it gave me a huge emotional release, I just cried and cried ....it was past midnight and I was all alone (headphones on) in the back room at my beloved "Yammie" and yup I just blubbed.

This is played from my heart, its from something which is deep inside of me (it sure isn't like anything you've heard before (which is probably a good thing) I like the way it popped out....hope you like it too.

Yo Rocky! (our rocky) you said you were looking forward to hearing something new...so for this recital - this ones for YOU!! smile

#1001045 08/15/07 03:07 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Yuri Drozd (YD)
Experience: 9 months after not playing for 12 years due to hand injury
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/e5ys6feist
Title of piece/composer: Revolutionary Etude, op. 10 no. 12 (Chopin)
Instrument used: Kawai MP8
Recording method: from audio outputs of MP8 into EMU0202 audio interface
Additional Info: Frankly, this recording is an accident. The disk space is cheap now,
so I recently decided to record all my practice hours. And suddenly, during one of the
sessions, everything (well, not quite: there are a few missed and misaligned notes) clicked. OMG! Once I listened to what I recorded, I could not believe I actually played it! I've only been working on it for just over 2 months (and still need to do as much work to be able to perform it in public!); this is by far the best recording out of 100 or so I made. I love online recitals: you can submit your ever-best attempts, and everybody will think that you are really as good as this recording :-)

#1001046 08/15/07 03:08 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Perplexed
Experience: 2 months of piano lessons, nothing else before that.
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/xl43yqfvl3
Title of piece/composer: "The Swan" (from "The Carnival Of The Animals") / Saint-Saens
Source of music: A book titled "The Library of Easy Piano Classics"
Instrument used: Yamaha YPT-300 Keyboard
Recording method: The performance was saved to my keyboard's internal memory. From there I connected an audio cable from the keyboard's headphone jack to the computer's line in, and then hit the keyboard's "play" button.
Feedback wanted: No thanks, maybe next time.
Additional Info: For a book called "Easy Piano Classics", the songs within are certainly not easy. Fortunately I did find 2 songs close to my current (lack of) skill level, "The Swan" being one of them. It's doable since there is only one note to play on either hand at any given time (with the exception of the arpeggioed last notes), the left hand staff follows an easy pattern, and the right hand staff's melody is slow paced. That works for me.

#1001047 08/15/07 03:09 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Kawaigirl1
Experience: Took up piano again one and a half yr ago from a 23 year break.
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/0y5d66pnu2
Title of piece/composer: Castles of Wonders/Greg Maroney
Instrument used: Roland RD300SX
Recording method: digital to PC
Additional Info: I finally took a break from playing Einaudi's music. The composer had played this piece in 4:56. I thought my interpretation of a slower version captures the feeling better as if you were actually walking inside a beautiful castle and capturing the magical moments.

#1001048 08/15/07 03:13 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Monica Kern
Experience: About 3 years, an additional 7 on accordion as child
Direct music link: http://www.uky.edu/~harris/contentment2.mp3
Title of piece/composer: Contentment/Stanton Lanier
Instrument used: Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method: Zoom H4; normalized in Audacity
Additional Info: I first heard this beautiful but simple piece on David Nevue’s Whisperings station. I bought the CD and was playing it in my car one morning. I was coming over a hill as the sun was rising through the trees, and listening to that music while seeing the beautiful sunrise was one of the most moving and deeply spiritual experiences I have ever had with music… goosebumps, tears, the works. So as soon as the sheet music became available, I bought it. It is not technically difficult at all; the left hand is nothing but root-5-octave-5 over and over again.

In his notes to the album, Lanier says that he wrote this piece to slow down his mind from thinking anxious thoughts and to focus on the things in life that are “pure and lovely.” To me it serves as a good reminder to be content with all the blessings I have in my life.

#1001049 08/15/07 03:14 AM

OP Offline

Performer’s Name: angelojf (Angelo)
Experience: On and off and off and on !
Direct Music Link: http://public.box.net/angelojf80954
Title of Piece/composer: "She's Leaving Home" (Lennon & McCartney)
Source of music: Sheet music done the Sudnow way
Instrument used: Yamaha YDP113
Recording Method: Recorded on to Boss Digital 8 Track, then put it on CD, then friend helped by putting it on audicity and taking it from there
Additional info: Here's my first recording, and my second Sudnow voicing. I kept the song short partly because the longer I play, the more there's the possibility of mistakes! There's some pauses because I'm trying to get my fingers on the right keys...

#1001050 08/15/07 03:15 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Schubertian
Experience: 8 years lessons as a child; 30 year break; 10 months lesson
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/10pc6d8dai
Title of piece/composer:D'un cahier d'esquisses/Debussy
Source of music: Koenemann Music Budapest Urtext
Instrument used: Estonia 190
Recording method: Samson C0-1U USB microphone; Mac Powerbook; Garageband
Feedback wanted: why not
Additional Info: The piece means "from a notebook of sketches", written in 1903 about the same time as 'Masques' and 'L'isle joyeuse'. The tempo marking is Tres lent sans rigueur. I've been listening to a DVD version of Pelleas et Melisande and reading a book about Debussy's piano music called Images by paul roberts. Forget buzz words like 'symbolist' and 'impressionist', debussy's music is about deep human emotions and the movements and moods of nature - like all great art. Forgive the bloopers.

#1001051 08/15/07 03:16 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: dragonpianoplayer (Rich)
Experience: Took 5 years of lessons as a kid and now back playing for just over 1 year.
Direct music link: http://www.rjmeredith.com/music/bach_bwv_anh_116.mp3
Title of piece/composer: Minuet in G Major BWV Anh 116. Bach from Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach
Source of music: Sheet Music (from Keith Snell - Baroque & Classical Piano Repertoire Level 3)
Instrument used: Casio PX-310
Recording method: Cakewalk Music Creator

#1001052 08/15/07 03:17 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Joe Moshi
Experience: 15 years of piano playing experience on
and off
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/b320fb51ay
Title of piece/composer: J. S. Bach
Instrument used: Yamaha CVP 307
Recording method: Audacity
Feedback wanted: Yes please
Additional Info: I find Bach very difficult to play. So I selected one of the easiest pieces to play and I still had problems with it.

#1001053 08/15/07 03:17 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: stephenc
Experience: just over 3 years
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/8yj5m42xiz
Title of piece/composer: Extract from Romance Movement, Concerto 1 in Eminor Chopin
Instrument used: Yamaha WX3 and Orchestra by Music Minus One
Recording method: Cool Edit Pro, 2 x Behringer c2 condenser mics.
Feedback wanted: if available
Additional Info: This makes me a concert pianist right?!

#1001054 08/15/07 03:18 AM

OP Offline

Performer's Name: Rocky
Experience: 2 1/2 years - self-taught
Direct music link: http://www.box.net/shared/mdn2idoq61
Title of piece/composer: A Moment Lost - David Nevue
Source of music: Sheet Music
Instrument used: Casio PX100
Recording method: Digital to PC, audacity
Additional Info: It may not be so good, but at least I haven't thrown in the towel yet!!! One day I will play the piano! Check out David Nevue's music at http://www.davidnevue.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you like your slow close fallboard?
by Lady Bird - 07/06/20 12:16 AM
Nektar Impact GX61 Controller
by bill5 - 07/05/20 09:32 PM
New Song I heard and just saw the move
by piano_primo - 07/05/20 08:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,055
Posts2,977,342
Members97,671
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission