Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
112 registered members (ahumdrumoflife, ando, anotherscott, Aves, anamnesis, akc42, 7uturu, 26 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum
3 minutes ago
Oops shows how good my reading comprehension is these days! I will chime in on the latest digression in RE: pianos and Steinway as an investment. As said above pianos are like cars. They are not an appreciable asset; few instruments are. Buy it because your son loves to play, not because you want it to grow in value. I got my Steinway for an obscene discount and it's STILL probably worth less than I paid for it only four years ago. I wish S&S would stop trotting out those brochures and hype about the piano appreciating just because of their annual price hike. It's BS and really unbecoming of such a celebrated brand.
37 840 Read More
Piano Forum
3 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Matt:
Perhaps it's because I come from the "Father Knows Best" generation that I feel that your father has given you wise, sound advice. Please reconsider it.
As for the interior life of an artist, you should not expect ANYONE to understand it. However, I feel strongly that you should insist that your family respect your wishes in the matter of your privacy, especially your piano room.
Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Hi Karl, I think I could give you some very compelling cases of father not knowing best! wink

But I think you are on the money about privacy and respecting wishes. It's all about boundaries and how we set and enforce them. It's possible to have boundaries but still keep your relationship with your family - not always, but in most cases, yes.
88 2,404 Read More
Piano Forum
9 minutes ago
Originally Posted by BDB
When you do a few notes, you try to make the piano uniform. If it is, then the voicing is successful, but that does not mean that more cannot be done.

Besides, what else do you suggest? Anything else costs a lot more!
But when the OP had a few notes done it was not really to make the piano uniform. It was to see if something could be done about the particularly unpleasant sounding notes.

The tech was not successful so I don't understand why some have recommended a more extensive voicing and/or regulation unless the tech thinks there are some voicing techniques that he hasn't tried that might work. Even if that's the case I think it makes more sense to try again to voice the most unpleasant sounding notes. IF that's successful then try voicing the rest of the piano. If not successful, why waste money on more extensive voicing?
18 603 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
28 minutes ago
I use a foot stool similar to this one when I weld. It's not adustable but I like it because it's light and sits lower than most adjustables I've seen.
4 81 Read More
Pianist Corner
29 minutes ago
Fareham: Great detailed description -- very interesting and helpful.
13 557 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
36 minutes ago
Originally Posted by HCC
Here is the audio clip. I think the difference is very obvious.

https://soundcloud.com/54go1dpwxamk/sets/check-for-cfx-repetition-fix

Now I understand what you mean by "machine-gun" effect but something must be completely wrong with your setup. I have both CFX Lite and CFX full and can't reproduce that kind of machine-gun even with the stock configuration. BTW, how did you manage to come up with these parameter names:
off_mode=time
off_time=0.2
off_shape=0.5

I don't see something like that given as an example (like in the comments). Are they coming from a documentation you have about the format of that file?
10 271 Read More
37 minutes ago
Hi all, my first ever post smile

Want to thank you all, as I've followed the majority of this thread and it really helped me shape my decision to purchase a Novus NV10. It began when I played one at my local music shop and it absolutely blew me away, particularly the Millenium 3 action it sports.

In the shop I played on at least a couple dozen beautiful acoustic grands acoustic grands by all the major brands, and luckily for me, while they were all stunning instruments in their own ways, I personally love the NV10 action most of all. Perfect luck really, as I only had the at home for a DP.

With a Yamaha Clavinova DP (CLP-525) being my pride and joy for the past few years, I visited the shop expecting to be drawn to the latest and greatest Yamaha DP's, but the NV10 proved me wrong the second I felt the action. It reminds me of an old upright I used to own as a child; the very first piano I grew up learning with.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of not testing the piano before the delivery team left. Within 20 seconds of playing, I heard the dreaded buzzing noise some of you here have mentioned, and as to not waste time, immediately contacted the shop and requested a replacement which thankfully they accepted. This is all about 4 days ago. Already they are delivering the new NV10 tomorrow which is great service, so here's hoping no buzzing on the new unit. Maybe worth noting the software version is already 1.0.2.

EDIT: I really agree about the concerning lack of QC by Kawai here, especially considering the price. It baffeles me how this obnoxiously loud buzzing can be "missed" while performing any kind of QC...!
1,675 153,354 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
41 minutes ago
Originally Posted by cmb13
Are you on any FB piano group? I haven't been active on FB in a few years.

Does FB exist yet? I thought FB was ancient history.
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Quick update. I am really enjoying the Faber book and also managed to find a teacher that I will have my first session with today - can’t wait to be honest smile

Lucky you! I'm still waiting for my teacher-to-be to come back from the Local Festivals.
I texted her last Friday: "Look for date and time for our first class"
She answered: "OK"
And here I am ...
90 2,938 Read More
Piano Forum
43 minutes ago
Well the best sales pitches don't look like sales pitches was what I was taught. I mean no disrespect, I just think everyone should play by the same rules. And if one is getting paid to sell pianos, PW requires you to disclose that.
15 577 Read More
46 minutes ago
Huh - you got me thinking and you are indeed correct. I found this on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCHnXloH8_Y) and using the AUPeakLimiter I am able to increase gain without normalisation (turned off under preferences and using compression or EQ and the end result is the direct sound with good volume!

Thank you for that! :-)

J
7 282 Read More
47 minutes ago
Originally Posted by vkhandelwal
Originally Posted by Gandhi
Hi....
Well i have already ordered KAWAI 78....

I took very fast decission because there was no option left for me as Distributor of Kawai told me to comfirm order within 24 hours than only it will possible for them to include My CA 78 in Shipment which Will start from Japan on 20th Aug so there is no time left..
According to Distributor If i opt for next shipment which will be in October than i will receive my Piano in End of November which is 3 month waiting Period which i wanted to avoid...
so i place order immedietly..

Now i will receive Piano 1st Week of September.

Well it was very difficult decission for me to decide so fast & without Personal demo,

But in the end everything is fine now(hopefully)....

SO I would like to THANK you all
Dear JoBert Jitin ArtlessArt Mcoll Tyr rolex67 & Kawai James..
This became possible only because of guidence & advice i received from this forum & yes videos on youtube..

Regards
Gandhi

well I am too from India and waiting for delivery of CA78 which will come in the same shipment .
I had to order without demo but I think both of us will be happy when we receive it.

Nice to see that your are revisiting your piano passion after so many years. wishing you many happy moments with your new piano

Congratulations !

Thank you for your Kind word & Input..

I am from Mumbai

You are Vikasji Khandelwal from Indore?

I am aware of your order & Congratulations to you also.

I have already commented on your Thread.

I already have sent you a PM one week back but think you have not recd?

I am trying to contact you through my relatives in Indore??

If you agree than we can talk on phone.

Wish you also all the very best with your New Piano..

I actualy bought this for my Lovely Granddaughter she is just
4 Years & 6 months old & She will start her lessons next month.
So Pls bless her..
Regard
Gandhi

37 1,327 Read More
50 minutes ago
I was just assuming the OP was a Berlin Philharmonic fan.
16 488 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
52 minutes ago
My musical tastes have been evolving for the past 40 years. Rock, then hard rock, then southern blues, then alternative rock, then jazz, now classical. Throw in a little EDM and shoe-gaze, just a tiny bit. I still listen to all the above genres. Just no country please.

Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
BTW, what's a Drake? Some sort of duck? Or medicinal herb? I suppose I could google it, but I'm almost afraid to...

BTW Doc....check this out....

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Drake has won 105 awards from 474 nominations, including three Grammy Awards from thirty-five nominations
10 202 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
1 hour ago
I teach at my home studio, (word-of mouth only) and at a private Christian school that does all the paperwork and semester billing for me, including printing programs for free in color, unlimited access to the copy room, free recital hall, and free coffee! They take a small cut (20%) and it is worth it for me.

However, the one downfall is that I get NO choice in the students, unless they are repeat customers.

The coordinator (I have known for over a decade) has told me, "one violin parent DEMANDS 3pm on Thursday or they will drop lessons." (They were dropped. Another student happily filled the spot)

Another wanted a lesson right after Tuesday's science club, because her two children have two activities each, and they live so far away! (20 minutes) that they cannot do the turn-around. Kids are grade school. Many families with longer commutes/older students/more children, practically camp out at the school, doing homework, visiting the library or playground, snack/rest time, etc...20 minutes is NOT a hardship!

I have some parents that I never see until recital. I had one boy who missed recital, even after I had sent mom a preview of the program, reminder emails and notes, "oh, we had a soccer practice that morning." Not a game or a match- practice. Oh, yeah, the boy rarely came with books, and never practiced. urg.

Or a family with one child very enthusiastic about piano, so the parents make the other sibling take lessons back-to-back, to keep the schedule easy for them. One hour, one recital, one teacher, easy! But, the other sibling does NOT want lessons. Why torture the kid? They are going to make comparisons. It will not end well.

But, the majority of my students at this school DO have good parents, many who observe lessons, actually read and even sometimes write questions or comments IN the Assignment Notebook, and help their children make time for practice.

And, as frustrating as the no practice, no books, no communication families can be, I take solace in the fact that I am a well paid musical babysitter. I cannot make them (child or parent) care more than I do. I can entertain myself pretty well, and have a variety of ways to present The Same Lesson Over And Over And Over And Over...

(I taught preschool, and still volunteer at church with that age, for over two decades, so I am pretty patient.)
39 2,521 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Richrf
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Richrf
... In the case of a choir multiple, inter-connected body/minds. I believe it would be a very positive experience, with the proviso there is study.

Can you explain, maybe with some concrete examples, what kind of study you envision for choir?

The study of creating music that harmonizes with music created by others.

How, specifically, might a student do that? Student X decides to join a choir. The choir she has joined is singing Ave Verum and a Silvery Moon. What, specifically, might X be doing in view of "creating music that harmonizes....." etc.?

I know what I did when I joined choirs, but I'm interested in your idea on this matter.

Everyone is different in the manner that they learn. I learn by relaxed, repetition in my imagination. With each repetition my body/mind/soul becomes aware of something new. Harmony is the same whether it be on a piano or in a choir. One just listens to the sounds blending together.
15 295 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Could it help you if I share with you the repertoire lists I have for my exams (which are not with RCM wink )?
9 186 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by pavane1

What do you all think about the future of piano teaching?

I can only speak from my experience, and what I see in my area:

Piano pedagogy is mostly the art and science of teaching young Asian girls how to play the piano.

This is probably different elsewhere in the country or the world, but in my city/neighborhood/studio, this is very much the case. Right now, about 50% of my piano students are Asian. If we consider only younger students (under 18), a good two-thirds are Asian girls. If we further limit it to SERIOUS young students (who actually bother to practice consistently and are fully committed and engaged), it's 100% Asian girls. This wasn't always the case in my studio, but that's how it's developed over time.

Maybe my studio is a bit of an outlier - my wife is Taiwanese, and all my family is Taiwanese. I happen to be a Native American (or, in the vernacular, an Indian, though that term is ambiguous), but I speak Japanese fairly fluently and know some very basic Mandarin. My wife is fluent in Mandarin and Taiwanese. I know for a fact that the linguistic and cultural connections have helped me get students.

However, when talking with other local piano teachers, they seem to have the same experience - the serious students, the ones making the most progress, are by and large young Asian girls. Not 100%, but close.

So this seems to be the future of piano teaching, at least for my studio and the other local teachers I know. And I don't think it's a bad thing. I would like to see a greater level of diversity, but it's not like we can FORCE more people to be interested in piano...
25 813 Read More
1 hour ago
Nice work!
208 114,337 Read More
Member Recordings - Non Classical Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Hi Dr B
I like this a lot, as well 😊
1 18 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
What a fun, and beautiful, song. I learned it but it took quite a while...a lot of big chords, a lot of movement. Well worth it in the end. Measure 6..(just checked)... I roll this chord, both hands...that's how it was written in my score, and that's how I learned it.

Around 20 sec in...

https://youtu.be/Ta_x-KRkDXU

Not that I'm any expert. Hope it helps though.
2 60 Read More
1 hour ago
Wonderful puzzler! smile Yes, please do let us know the solution. We all learn from these kinds of things.
7 235 Read More
2 hours ago
Thank you very much for your detailed answer Drew!

I am understand now.
I am planning to try ES110 at Kawai dealer after Obon holiday finished (probably this saturday).
Btw I tried Kawai's RH3 action yesterday and of course it is better than FP-30's PHA4 (both for practicing and for fun), but only slightly for me, maybe because of my amateur hand crazy
I hope the RHS from ES110 is not so significantly different grin
If so, I've set my eye to FP-30

15 659 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
My 1981 Steinway B has it too. See the picture. I really can't think of what it does. It's a very small piece of wood -- like a 1"x 2" brace. It doesn't touch the soundboard at all. I can insert my fully fingers between it and the soundboard at the ribs. It's notched into the upper side of the braces. There are 2 plate support bolts in that area -- the one in the bell and then another come thru the small block that is attached to the main brace on the left side of the picture.

[img]http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2758841.html[/img]
8 438 Read More
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by rob1261a
Hi Gandhi,

Congratulations! I think you will really like it.

The LCD screen takes a little getting used to. Just need to get the taps and scrolling down (scroll slowly), so you don't pass by things. Yes, I have had an iPhone and iPad for a while but it is a bit different.

The first recommendations are:

1) Download and read the manual.

2) Check the firmware version and update if needed. The latest is V1.02 (12/17).

This is a link to the instructions, so follow carefully:
http://www.kawai-global.com/data/updates/ca98_ca78_v102_en.pdf

Let us know when you get it.

thanks,
rob

Thank you for your Kind word & input..

1) Re Lcd Screen :- There is already Detailed
Demo Video uploaded by Kawai Global on
23rd Oct 2017 on Youtube. Worth Watching.
I already found most useful...

2) I have already downloaded Manual & trying
to Study it..

3)Re Firmware:- It will come with new updates
so no worry.

Actualy i wanted to ask you about your Personal Views & experience how do you feel while Playing CA 78 re Sound & Touch quality...

Have fun enjoy your New Piano

Regard
Gandhi

41 2,153 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Sam S
Just a reminder, the recital deadline has been extended - you still have a couple of days to get your submission in!

Sam

opps i forgot this wasn't a housewares forum...
76 2,576 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
New Topics - Multiple Forums
La fille aux cheveux de lin C.A. Debussy
by Fornion. 08/16/18 09:11 AM
A MILLION DREAMS - Solo Piano Cover
by Handyman. 08/16/18 08:42 AM
In search of Barenboim's sound.
by PianoStartsAt33. 08/16/18 06:51 AM
Adjustable Stool Recommendations
by DavidWB. 08/16/18 01:28 AM
Best way to accept credit / debit card payments
by RyanThePianist. 08/15/18 09:38 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,918
Posts2,739,097
Members90,780
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission