2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
83 members (Anna Helena, brennbaer, brdwyguy, accordeur, ambrozy, Abdol, abwesend, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Keeping Hands in Shape - DIP Joint Pain pahalsevz 2 minutes ago
I had a similar problem to yours. The index finger and the right hand were very sore.
25 1,990 Read More
Re: What do you think of Alan Fraser? pianoloverus 5 minutes ago
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
How about another Schnabel quote?
Have I a secret about playing the piano? It's a very simple one. I sit down on the piano stool and make myself comfortable - and I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
You think those young kids who rattle off Chopin have read the works of Alan Fraser?
Almost all(and maybe all) have had lots of specifically technical training.
Yes, they practice technique. Tankard is a good start.
The first quote is just a joke from Schnabel. In addition, Schnabel is not considered to be a particularly great technician.

About your second comment, if they have to practice technique that means it is not natural or easy as riding a bicycle (which most people master very quickly and you compare learning piano to) and that there is ongoing technical instruction from a teacher. It's hard to imagine a reasonable person would say, as you seem to, that the teacher gives the starting student a few minutes or an hour of technical instruction and then they practice technique for the next ten years without additional and extensive further instruction. Does anyone think the Russian school of piano, for example, doesn't give extensive training to their students and I don't mean an hour of instruction and then go practice for the next ten years?
27 586 Read More
MY NEW PIANO or KEYBOARD! - Share Your Story! Jump to new posts
Re: Kawai RX-2 Carey 9 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Kilowatt76
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, my wife and I are very excited to have our Kawai RX-2 delivered tomorrow. I will post some pics and videos tomorrow!

Regards,
Kilowatt76

Look forward to seeing them. Welcome to the forums !!
1 10 Read More
Re: Chopin Competition malkin 21 minutes ago
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Anyone have a guess about whether that thing appearing in the title is:
-- typo, or
-- glitch in how the internet technology sees the title

Whichever, it's pretty funny.

Haha...Horowitz as a DI at Parris Island! smile

Funny.
I think Marines/Mannes is an "old eyes" error.
35 1,633 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Kodaly method for 7yo malkin 34 minutes ago
The success of any method can be limited by implementation. To put it plainly, if the so called teacher is a hack, you can't fairly blame the method.

It sounds like it may be time for you to move on and and find other instruction.
1 88 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Monitors! Do they all sound the same? Abdol 36 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I guess to summarize, there is a ton of mystery regarding how to playback your keyboard sounds and powered monitors are a common approach.... the most common? And a ton of misinformation... like the only thing that is important is flat frequency response or how a speaker can play in the low registers...
Bruce in Philly

Hi-Fi and passive speakers are dead and are for the hobbyist. Forget about the flat frequency. The consistency and the fact that you won't be doing a random mix n match with active (monitor) speakers are far more important than what you're talking about.

Just google active and passive speakers and read their advantages and disadvantages. A professional high-end monitor speaker is an asset. The internals (amps, cones, crossovers etc) are all designed to deliver a solid and predictable performance for a reasonable price.
16 1,124 Read More
Re: Pianoteq velocity curves sordes 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Mta88
Wow ok...

Thanks I feel like an idiot..
Pls don't. This part of the user interface is not at all intuitive!

Cheers
6 265 Read More
Re: Yamaha B1 Silent vs Kawai K15 ATX3 HZPiano 1 hour ago
Hello,

@Lorcar, Hybrid pianos, in the sense of having an acoustic-piano action and digital sound production (no strings) are:

- Yamaha N-1X
- Yamaha NU-1X
- Yamaha N-2
- Yamaha N-3X

- Kawai NV-5S
- Kawai NV-10S

As far as I know, these are the only ones currently in the (new/not used) market.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ
10 529 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: First in person teacher recitals in 18 months? brdwyguy 1 hour ago
BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO
to You Rich, the Cunningham Piano Co. & to all the Performers & Teachers.

That is so AWESOME
wish i was up there to see!

brdwyguy
JDM
2 73 Read More
Re: A Must-Watch!... Peter Bence playing Bohemian Rhapsody slipperykeys 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by CharlesXX
To quote the great philosopher and pianist Charlie Brown: "Good grief." I'll say no more.

I hate to be critical or sarcastic here, because I know it is so out of keeping with the ethos of the Piano World community, but actually I don't think Charlie Brown played the piano, he played baseball.

The pianist was that great fan of Beethoven, Schroeder.

Hopefully Schroeder will apologise for being a Beethoven fan on an inappropriate forum.
31 764 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Best Way to Clean Ivory Tops? Ed Foote 1 hour ago
Greetings,
Yellowing will usually require sanding down into fresh ivory. There are some peroxide treatments, with UV lamps, that can make a difference. If only cleaning is required, I have used Windex on my own ivory for years without a problem. Just a light spray and fast wipe off doing an octave at a time.

If you sand them, begin with nothing coarser than wet/dry 220, progressing on to 320, then 400 grit. I use alcohol as a lube. I use a felt covered block with these papers to allow for some slight irregularity in the old ivory. A hard block will cut them completely flat, but may required taking a lot of ivory off. After the 400, I will then polish with some polishing compound on a slow wheel mounted in the drill press. Takes a full afternoon.
Regards,
1 70 Read More
Re: Zebrakovsky? Lebrakovsky? Jean Claude 2 hours ago
Yes indeed. Ƶ.

Alt 437, if you want one of your own.
4 147 Read More
Re: Buying my first piano Steinway? MrSh4nkly 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by echo44
The Yamaha sounded decent the action was a little stiff.
This is not necessarily a bad thing for someone coming from synths. Good piano action will naturally feel stiff until your technique adapts by using the weight of your forearms, with the bench height set such that they're roughly an inch higher than the keyboard, and the power of the rest of your body behind them. With a couple of weeks of steady play it will feel quite natural. Better somewhat stiffer and controllable than lighter and difficult to play a gradation from pianissimo to fortissimo. Also, it's easier to play a lighter action on someone else's piano, if you're used to a heavier one, than the other way around.
5 318 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos Jump to new posts
Recitals are back! Rich Galassini 2 hours ago
In small groups, but we'll take it!
0 6 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: What did you play today? thepianoplayer416 2 hours ago
Polishing up a piece for the upcoming PW online recital.
319 31,092 Read More
Re: Historical pianos / Chris Maene MrSh4nkly 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Vikendios
You will notice that they are no pedals, but there is a mechanism to lift the dampers, controlled by rising the performers' knees. Watch Petra's knees.
I had read about the knee mechanism in fortepianos not long ago, noticed there are no pedals in the video, saw the dampers rising and falling, but didn't connect these in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

P.S. Humorous comment by my wife while watching the above video: "nice shoes...you go, girl." I need to let her know there may have been an ulterior motive for wearing those pumps.
7 277 Read More
Re: electric piano recommendation please froggy8 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Look at Casio Privia models, especially those whose model number end in 50 or 60 (i.e. 160, 350, 360, 750, 760). They are very reliable and have actions that are sufficiently similar to an acoustic piano that you will not suffer from the difference. I played Privias for the first 4 years of piano and am very happy that I did.
sorry for late reply

i didnt get any notification.

will have a look.

what do you think to the alesis or gearformusic brands of piano? they look cheap enough if the ones you posted are still out of my budget.
6 369 Read More
Re: Bed Bug Heat Treatment - Effect on Piano in the House Mark R. 3 hours ago
I would hesitate to run a humidifier during the heat treatment in the piano room. If you do, when things cool down, the air would be saturated, possibly over-saturated, leading to condensation. That would be worse than the heat that preceded it, because it could very quickly lead to rust. I would rather do the heat treatment without adjusting the humidity. That way, upon cooling down, the room returns more or less to its original state.

Wood, especially finished wood, doesn't lose its moisture over just a couple of hours.
35 3,436 Read More
Re: What’s comes with a kawai grand? Jean Claude 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by kre
[quote=j&j. So I guess it is totally up to dealer.

Well yes, but 'No stool, no sale' might be an effective bargaining position.
10 431 Read More
Re: Away for 2 weeks spanishbuddha 3 hours ago
My experience is that a 1 week break may actually help improve some pieces you were working on; but 2 weeks not so, and you might need a couple of days to get back to where you were, although it might actually end up where you were and some minor improvement. I've not tried this as a deliberate practice methodology though!
9 326 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: Shell voicings? paul abrahams 4 hours ago
Always start with a complete understanding of how the dominant 7 chord works and many things will follow.
Here's a blog I'm doing on the subject.
https://www.learnjazzpianoonline.com/blog/the-dominant-7-chord-in-jazz/
[img]https://www.learnjazzpianoonline.com/blog/the-dominant-7-chord-in-jazz/[/img]
10 620 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Teaching styles??? paul abrahams 4 hours ago
Although these days I just teach jazz and blues it always amazes me that students can play a Mozart piano sonata but, take the music away from them, and they can't even play Happy Birthday or a simple pop tune. This is partly because they usually have little understanding of chords that fit the tune. This is basic harmony, and even knowing how chords I, IV and V work (for example chords C, F and G triads: C+E+G etc) will provide the harmony for thousands of tunes.
I started taking lessons when I was 6 and I'm now nearly 75. It was only when a teacher started giving me tunes that were in the 'chart's' that I started to enjoy playing. And when I played keyboards in many rock and pop bands over the years we just handed out the chords or worked things out by listening to records.
[img]https://www.learnjazzpianoonline.com
[/img]www.learnjazzpianoonline.com
16 865 Read More
Re: How not to overthink tholepin 5 hours ago
Just another thumbs up for The Perfect Wrong Note by William Westney. I mentioned the book to my "new to me" teacher and she showed me her copy in the non-technical library. There was also a copy of The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart, well thumbed and loved.

Addressing the theme, my teacher's advice is to feel as well as think the beat or time, but said in a way a new learner like me could understand.

Practicing and playing a piece are two different things; practicing and counting time have helped my playing enormously. Perseverance and practicing slowly seems always to win out.
15 558 Read More
Re: Yamaha NP-12 Auto Accompaniment Options? vagfilm 5 hours ago
Keyboards with auto-accompaniment are commonly a class apart, and probably that particular school/course is thinking about the cheap models from yamaha or casio, and not the more expensive ones. Inquire with the school if they prefer Yamaha or Casio (for simpler access during classes). The most common models are Yamaha PSR-e373 or 2 models from Casio: CT-x700 (overall better quality, with lots of buttons) or the CT-s300 (simpler model, with simplified user interface).
2 83 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: Is it Jazz or Pop Greener 5 hours ago
Me neither, so I guess I am not really in disagreement with you.

If you were to take a jazz standard like Geogia On My Mind and just alter a few things in the melody like or add a couple of ornaments/riffs, or maybe not even that, to me it is still a jazz standard and therefore jazz.

I guess that is all I was trying to point out. So in support of what the OP is suggesting it doesn't have to be full on improv. before we can call it jazz. Of course it helps if you can make it swing, but any amount or no amount of variation can still be jazz and will work as well with non jazz standards too.

I was getting the sense that if it is not full on improv. It can't be jazz and that is what I don't totally agree with is all.
7 424 Read More
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First in person teacher recitals in 18 months?
by Rich Galassini - 10/25/21 09:29 AM
Best Way to Clean Ivory Tops?
by Lirika - 10/25/21 08:23 AM
Yamaha NP-12 Auto Accompaniment Options?
by Fonics - 10/25/21 04:24 AM
Zebrakovsky? Lebrakovsky?
by edferris - 10/24/21 11:10 PM
Pianoteq velocity curves
by Mta88 - 10/24/21 10:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,734
Posts3,141,900
Members103,108
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission