Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
91 registered members (Astropiano, Alexander Borro, Biff Steel, Amedeus, Alex Hutor, ando, anotherscott, Beemer, AZNpiano, Andrei Anghel, 23 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos
2 minutes ago
Congratulations. Looks beautiful. Enjoy from one Michigander to another!
1 98 Read More
Piano Forum
10 minutes ago
My tech uses a set of tools that are long-handled metal with different-sized microfiber heads. The dust adheres to the head and is vacuumed off . I also bought a set from a piano-supply

Sorry, I don’t remember where I bought these.,, maybe a tech can provide the supplier.
13 748 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
15 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Jefsco
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I see there's good support for re-stickifying the Prices Paid thread: Agent 88, ArtlessArt , Gombessa.

yeah, if there were a total of 5 forum members, that would be good support....

come on, posters against stickies! speak up!

one sticky properly titled and organized, with all the links is all that’s needed.

Most people won't read a "General Stickies" post. I know I don't. Seeing a sticky "Prices Paid" thread is very interesting and worthwhile. When it lost its sticky status, I assumed it was gone. Please bring it back.
1,360 3,110,982 Read More
16 minutes ago
Just to add...it seems to be that some of the bass notes are being cut off prematurely in the link I sent but not sure if thats due to the polyphony or the pedalling technique of the player? I have never tried any piano on iOS so this will be a first for me...
5 287 Read More
Piano Forum
21 minutes ago
Thank you so much, huaidongxi for your kind words. It sounds like you are very well informed ( not because you liked what I did, but how you wrote about jazz and music) I am also glad you appreciated the recording, as it as an example of the quality of iOS tools that was not available a few years ago. Part of the reason I joined the forum was to express my enthusiasm about creating music on an iPad, especially piano based music. That I can take a piano improvisation and turn it into a movement for a Synthony with some wonderful instruments and a marvelous recording app, Cubasis, has been an amazing experience as I have never explored desktop creation.

I discovered it by accident and was astonished at the cool possibilities of working with what was, in some ways, cutting edge technology for music production. I realize most here do not need lectures on a relatively new platform, so I try not be overbearing, but I do hope that those who would benefit will hear my message. Making music on your lap, sitting on a couch or in bed at 3am without a mouse is quite a spectacular creative experience. The free flow of creation using a touch screen on an iPad (Android, unfortunately, barely has music making apps and inter-connectivity, so Apple is the only viable place to explore music production), is close to the thrill of improvisation itself, as things happen very quickly and often in single takes. A simple jazz duo or trio is simplicity itself to record, and orchestral expansions can happen in minutes.

As to music listening, I always follow the Active Threads as all the various fora posts are available to see there. It would be confusing and distracting to post compositions on a general piano forum, so I don't know if there is an answer, but I am very pleased when one person, such as yourself, listens with understanding and comments. It means a lot to me. So thanks, again. I am curious as to what you are up to musically. Perhaps you will post a little about your journey or pm me if you like. It sounds like you are a serious and open minded player. Best, Mike
35 992 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
24 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Beemer
Yes my guess is that it is indeed trigger finger. I had this two or three years ago and it required an operation to fix it. This symptom can be painless, or painful depending on where the swelling on the tendon is trapped. Have no fear about the operation, as its completely painless, even although you will be conscious.

Is there any pain with this condition? It occurred again to me yesterday, but it comes completely without pain. Just some shock and consternation about a finger that decides suddenly not to bend by itself with a popping joint sound. I think the next time this occurs to me, I will use my right hand, instead of the muscles of the left hand, to bend my left pinky and see if that also causes a joint popping sound.
12 330 Read More
Pianist Corner
43 minutes ago
Looking more closely I see that Ginzburg, Horowitz, Gilels etc. all play the Liszt-BUSONI version which is closer to 15 minutes and thus more effective IMO.
4 119 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
56 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
So when lost, I often turn to the research literature - what do researchers say about something? Which I just did briefly, and I immediately discovered why there are such differences. Because "music reading" for the researchers in music includes the concept of decoding into sound, but not necessarily into a particular instrument, as such decoding could be into sound in ones own head! It suddenly became clear why my original definition above of "music reading" was wrong. I had been thinking reading music was a conceptual decoding - like decoding a book by reading it and having the words form concepts in one's head. But in "music reading", the music must be decoded into sound, and the sound could be in an instrument (playing or singing) or only in one's head. One can say one is reading the score to a complex piece of music one hasn't heard before with playing an instrument or singing, but only if you are hearing the sound in one's head.

I am not entirely comfortable with this view by the researchers, especially if taken at face value or as a main thing. Going past the idea of written music being encoded concepts is probably a good thing to do. There is a reason why I'm not comfortable with the sound-thing. My original relationship to written music was mainly in that direction - by accident of circumstance - and I discovered I had a huge chunk of the puzzle missing.

In music you have an interplay of various elements which are all interconnected. When you focus on one, you pull in the others, and it's not good to stay with just one of them. Reading adds still another dimension, and it interacts with all of them.

In my own experience, I ended up "hearing" music when I looked at a score, like you might hear words when you read text. I thought that this was what everybody does. There were some parameters to this. I had learned movable Do solfege and the music I was given tended to be rather diatonic: Clementi - sonatinas - student music and easier music tends to be that way anyway. My hearing was for melody and even polyphonic melody, but weaker in chords. The result was that I would "hear" the melody when I looked at a score. When I played or sang from music, I played what I heard. ..... First weakness was that I heard this in relative pitch. You can sing a melody in G major, or C major, or Eb major, and everyone will recognize it as the same melody. ..... When you "read" music this way, it is almost like playing by ear, because you are playing what you "hear" (from the score).

With this skill I could play a melody, whether I was playing piano, guitar, recorder, or singing. When I remembered the music, I might play it on one of those instruments and wonder "What instrument did I learn this on originally?" If I ran out of notes, I'd know it wasn't a recorder piece. I'd also happily play it in the wrong key, needing to adjust to more and more black keys as it sounded wrong, to get it to sound right. If the music was not diatonic, then there was an immediate roadblock. There are weaknesses to this.

--------------
Enter another element: the physical side of playing an instrument, and the symbol on the page. E4 on the piano is a specific location on the piano directly in front of you to the right of the two black keys: in notation, it's the circle that is crossed by the lowest line of the treble clef. Another form of reading is: You see that circle and your hand zips to that piano key. .......On violin, your finger presses a spot 2 finger spaces from the scroll on the D string. On descant or tenor recorder, "E" means 5 adjacent holes plus the thumb hole are covered. If you do these physical actions vis-a-vis your instrument, upon seeing that note on your page, you will get the desired pitch called E. You may go, "Oh, so that's how it sounds."

I didn't have this part. I didn't know it existed. When I discovered this part and started pursuing it, it was like getting a magical passkey that unlocks all doors. It is a simplistic and primitive skill; very simple things have a way of being a portal to "everything". You're not decoding and not interpreting at this level. It's like putting your foot on the brakes when the light turns red, or making and upward flicking motion on a light switch when it gets dark.

These things are all interrelated and interwoven. When I press the "E" key on the stimulus of the note head, I will hear what that sound is. When it is in the context of a series of notes, I may hear it as part of a melody, and if it was preceded by a line of notes in a scale, I'll anticipate it physically and aurally before getting there. I may pre-hear that E because of that melody, picture the note, and/or my hand may zip to that location based on what I am prehearing. It's all chicken and egg. But the physical association I described seems to me to be an important factor. And in that sense, "which instrument" will have to be a factor.
85 2,068 Read More
1 hour ago
MMM, that's fair, I forgot I didn't realise it has no floats or real numbers, that's a pain, I forgot that. however you can still write code for that simulate real numbers, which would make it even more crazy of course, but not a complete show stopper to write many codes with added creativity. You know early fortran did not have many things including complex numbers or data structures, yet I dealt with that all the time ( you can work around that).

As a bit of history there is a language called Mumps developed for the health service developed in your land, I was briefly a contractor at one place writing specific C APIs in the nineties to allow it to talk to other languages such as C/C++ (for my sins) to get it to talk to other products inhouse. I got that to work and communicate no problem, sure it took a year or so to get a robust framework. Anyway, all that language dealt with was a global variables, it is more a database language, and yet some of the biggest systems ever written in the NHS use it to this day, including the GUIs that drive it, which is crazy I know. I am talking millions and millions of line of codes which somehow got to work together without local variables or anything fancy, no OO etc etc. but it runs, and works all the same.

I had to learn that language to allow to me to develop for that to communicate with C/C++. There is so much legacy there they cannot break away from and it will remain for many ears to come. I have seen some crazy stuff in my time, it was a temporary tie over job in the nineties, paid really well, but a pain in the ass. I am glad I don't have to that anymore. smile
42 952 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by Beemer
Originally Posted by BDB
Study the wave equation. It will tell you that the waveform depends on the initial condition of the wave. When the hammers are worn, the wave will look like a truncated wave, so it will be similar to sound amplified by a class C amplifier or worse.

Of course my Blüthner Model 'A' is a class 'A' amp like my Marantz audio amplifier 😁 (Its a joke in case anyone misses it)

Ian
No wonder you are concerned about string indents. Your piano is wearing out even when your not playing it!

It's all the inter-modulation distortion that I inject into it smile

Ian
9 246 Read More
1 hour ago
Hi Ben,

IIRC correctly just checking them seem quite cheap now, worth checking out, but the 5x were a bit lean in the bass I thought , sure the specs say they go to 50 HZ but we don't know if that means a -3dB or - 5 dB, The focal 50s are stronger in that area, I thought the 5x sounded a bit lean in the bass for piano purposes anyway, with 5 inch you are already at the sort of borderline I accept, and some 5 inch monitors don't cut it, this was the case with the samples I heard in PMT anyway. EQing only has limited value for more bass extension at the expense of distortion in many such small beasts. As good as they are, I'd really want the bigger brother 7x. No doubt the focal shape would be better still, but you are also paying for it big time in comparison !

I guess it is worth noting form my perspective for Varignet info, I don't use monitors all that often, usually headphones, so I was only prepared to go so far for the occasional use to get started with and see. That being said, if it is was my regular setup I may well look further up the ladder. For what is at the price I find the focals excellent at the price point (at this point in time, and I am quite picky) and they are a pleasure for music listening of well recorded piano concertos on the desktop also. Note there are others here that deal with less, cheaper ones such as the JBL 305 and are happy enough with them too, so it all depends on what you find acceptable.

Getting a good sound to start with for much less, I always think, invest in some decent headphones first, and then a couple more for pleasure and a variety of sound signatures smile then monitors.

As for the mp7se questions no doubt mp7 users will chime in.
18 625 Read More
1 hour ago
This is really a matter of taste.
I also wanna buy one of these great ones although Im waiting to test P-515 portable one from Yamaha.
All brands are strong in different perspectives. We just have to buy one and enjoy playing it.
3 222 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by rocket88
I find that saying a word with the same number of syllables as the tuplet has notes is helpful.

For five notes, "generosity" is a good word. Google "notes with 5 syllables" to find more.

Saying it out loud as you place the notes gives you a solid base upon which to learn.

I think that's a bad way of learning it. English pronunciation is very irregular with multiple levels of accented syllables and has agogic accents that vary depending on the dialect of the speaker. My native Polish is a bit more regular but still I wouldn't use words.

Words are not neutral. If you use a word in your language that you are used to pronouncing a certain way you will get unintended accents on the parts that you usually accent, and what's even worse, you will not even notice. The longer the word the more likely that is to happen.

What's wrong with counting 1-2-3-4-5 as evenly as you can?
8 92 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
Does anybody know if he was using equal temperament tuning? It doesn't sound like it to me.
10 408 Read More
2 hours ago
I don’t have a CA98, but most likely you need to set local control off on the CA98, and using suitable cables connect the PC sound card output to the CA98 aux in. Take care of the connectors needed on the cable ends for possibly stereo out to 2xmono in, YMMV.
1 51 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
Almo82,

I think the real question is, if the SK-2 made you consider increasing your budget, can you find a better piano at the new budget? If the SK-2 didn't particularly call out to you after repeated auditions, perhaps checking out other pianos in its price to compare could be fun.

Doing some math based on my shopping experience earlier this year, I believe your dealer is asking 35-40k USD for the SK-2. For about that money, there are some nice larger Kawai GX's, larger Yamaha CX's, Estonias and others for new instruments, or nice re-built Steinways, and a long list of nice used instruments.

Best of luck!
25 775 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
2 hours ago
That's pretty, JoBert!
726 43,865 Read More
Themed Recital Sub-Forum
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Handyman
Originally Posted by dumka1

13. Handyman - Bi-Ethnic Medley: Shubert - Waltz in B minor & Maykapar - Waltz (in D Major)

Thanks for reminding me about this charming waltz by Schubert. I would probably play it a bit faster, with more movement...

You're welcome - it is charming - charmingly Slavic-like...

Yes, there's a common range of tempi within which waltzes are played, and I can easily see this one being played a bit faster - but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "movement" however...

I guess I meant with more forward movement, when phrases are built in such a way that there's a clear movement towards some climactic point in the phrase, rather than separate notes. But listening to this waltz again, I'm thinking perhaps it's not an issue (only the beginning struck me as a bit lacking in that movement but I think you were doing it deliberately, starting slowly and then progressing to a more lively manner).
18 487 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by RmntcPianoLvr

I've also learned some Brahms, like Ballade Op. 10 No. 1 and Waltz 1 in B Major. However, I really want to eventually learn his Hungarian Dances, but just like you, I don't feel like I'm good enough yet both as a pianist and musician to really understand, so I'll need to spend some more time nurturing my abilities.
I think the Brahms Hungarian Dances are terrific pieces, but the solo version by Brahms requires super virtuoso technique. There are versions by Moszkowski that are also advanced but not as impossible as the Brahms. He knows how to simplify without making it sound any simpler.
31 1,391 Read More
Pianist Corner
3 hours ago
There were a couple of copies on Amazon when I looked.
19 544 Read More
Pianist Corner
3 hours ago
Sorry, see I overlapped an earlier posting/heading. I agree I would like to hear the sound and know who is playing in the one video. I presume It could be Olson.
1 39 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
Hi, BillM! Ah, yes -- Paul Simon in the early post-Garfunkel years; a bang-up good song from the early 70s. Just to be pedantic, the song steals copiously from the 16th century hymn "O Sacred Head, Now Wounded", by Hans Leo Hassler -- JS Bach set it for four-part Chorale, but did not write it. Personally, I don't find the lyric all that dark -- the three verses ground us in the "real" world, but the bridge underlines the dream, and is really a very hopeful one. Very well presented -- thanks for sharing!

Incidentally, in the Pianist's Corner Forum, there is a thread concerning Simon's new song that he performed on SNL, utilizing classical chamber instrumentation. I confess to finding that lyric head-scratching, but the song is very effective -- he's still trucking, even in his mid to late 70s!
34 697 Read More
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by Gombessa
a reverb filter..

What is a reverb filter? I don't understand this term. For one thing, don't filters selectively remove whereas a reverb adds.... fairly indiscriminately, in general?

I think I'm behind the curve again smile

A better expression would be a reverb effect.

The English Wikipedia filter page tell about removing or attenuating some part of the signal (like high-pass, low-pass filters). The French page admit the use of the term when the filter accentuate something (we can think of EQ, low pass filter with resonance).
254 9,596 Read More
3 hours ago
Tried it out with a Mac and velocity is fine.
Tried the pianoteq demo and sound was awesome through headphones but not very pleasing when routed through the Rolands own speakers.

Can’t be having monitor speakers as well in the current setup - all the wires would make me sad so I’ll stick with the fully integrated solution for now I think and maybe consider going all in with a computer based setup sometime in the future.

Or just get an acoustic which is what I really want smile
3 88 Read More
Pianist Corner
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
As far as I can tell this NY Times article shows a pianist's hands moving but without any sound...bizarre. I'm assuming the piece is by Brahms but can't identify it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/arts/music/brahms-92y-ohlsson-mark-morris.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmusic&action=click&contentCollection=music&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Shame on the Times for not including the audio. frown
1 50 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to voice VST sound form DP's internal speaker.
by harryhang. 10/20/18 11:51 AM
Five Notes in the the Space of Four
by SoundThumb. 10/20/18 11:44 AM
Brahm's polyrhythms - article
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 10/20/18 11:36 AM
What is this piece?
by pianoloverus. 10/20/18 10:54 AM
44 note Wurlitzer butterfly
by oth47. 10/20/18 10:14 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,897
Posts2,754,174
Members91,289
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission