Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
149 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, 90125, accordeur, AnnInMiami, anotherscott, akc42, AaronSF, anamnesis, 36251, 36 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by squidbot
Originally Posted by Craig Hair
I saw a receipt for a Steinway Centennial, ~1876, sold new for $1,600.
That same piano, today, is worth...$20,000, original condition?
That is considerable appreciation, if you just look at the numbers.
But how many small houses would $1,600 buy in 1876?

You got me curious! Using a handy inflation calculator, $1600 USD in 1876 would have the same purchasing power as today $37, 639.18 today. An investment that doesn't beat inflation is not exactly fantastic. Also the best I could find was a home in Brooklyn, NY was $2500 in 1853 and $7000-12000 in 1900, so I suspect $1600 is a little low. Farmland could have been purchased anywhere from $50-300 an acre though so I suspect that $1600 worth of farm acreage would have a been a much better investment than that Steinway Centennial laugh

sources: http://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1876?amount=1600
https://247wallst.com/investing/201...-things-cost-in-america-1776-to-today/2/

So a Steinway is a *SLIGHTLY* better investment than burying my money in the backyard. Nice. I wonder how those numbers change in the Teflon era?
53 1,474 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Ok, this sounds like "normal"behavior to me Arc7urus...I think the 3rd/lowest sensor may be just below the notch, and that is what you are going when the note-on-1 is triggered. Normally however, the note-off is not triggered until you release the key above the 1st/highest sensor, so if you're still interested in trying, that is something I'd suggest.

I don't have much time on GF2, but I'm surprised that you can't play of the jack as that is specifically an improvement over GF1. If you're saying the bottom sensor lies just below the letoff, that does match up with *some* of my keys on the NV10, but interestingly, not all of them (more on the bassb than the treble).
51 1,035 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
So it is indeed a yung chang? But a very old one? xD what about the model tho? It says u3 and I cant seem to find it anywhere frown
6 209 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by bennevis
I assume you can keep using your Chinese passport until it's time to renew, when......

BTW, that's what I did with the passport of my previous tiny insignificant no-name country.

Since I did not renounce (which as I said, doing that only has negative consequences for me, and no real lasting positive consequences), practically speaking, it is a little different for me.

I'm going to stop talking about this now in case the watchers get unhappy from even this discussion!

So, back to pianos! smile
12 144 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 11:33 PM
12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 1 Masterpiece or not, it’s a beautiful one. Your playing is as amazing as I expected it to be after listening to a couple of your recordings on IMSLP. Great recording, thanks for sharing it with us.

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - On The Lake (Op. 77, No. 12) I’d never heard of this composer, but if this piece is any indication of the quality of his oeuvre his works are well worth checking out. Lovely playing, you really bring out that lovely German Romantic sound and feeling.

14. Peyton - Questa Notte I only hear Einaudi’s music once every three months; with every quarterly recital, and I’m far from getting tired of it. It’s just so very soothing and relaxing, which your great playing only emphasizes. You make a very tricky sounding piece seem so very easy to play. Great job, brilliant playing.

15. Riddler (Ed) - Naima It took my ears a few moments to acclimatize to Jazz after all those Classical pieces, but they were very pleased after they’d done so. Beautifully played. There’s something so very intimate about music that people wrote for those they love(d).

16. Kalos Piano - Turkish March Now there’s a familiar piece! Great playing, I really liked the balance between your two hands. The left hand never felt heavy, giving your right hand ample opportunity to clearly ‘sing’.

17. peterws - Coming Home Before listening to your recording, that description you provided indeed is a very, uhm, modern take on English! And then the music, that’s just beautiful. So very soothing. I could easily see myself listening to this as I’m trying to fall asleep, slowly but surely drifting away. Just lovely.

18. timmyab - Moments Musicaux no 4 If this is the sort of material I can be expected to learn in 25 years, well, sign me up! Oh wait, I’ve already signed up… Well, I’ll just have to always renew my annual piano-playing subscription. I’m a big fan of Schubert but haven’t had the time to extensively dive into all his works just yet. As such, your excellent recording is my first introduction to this particular Musical Moment. It just oozes Schubert, such a lovely piece of music, and such a lovely way that you play it. Great performance, thanks for sharing it with us here!
26 532 Read More
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by sullivang
Blue72: I don't think we are in complete agreement. In your most recent recording, it simply sounds like G4 is being played at a velocity that is higher than you intended. This results in the note sounding too agressive - both too loud, and too agressive in timbre.

In NO way do I hear a bell tone in that note. I hear a very pleasing "twang" sound.

Greg.

Hey, I think we agree more than you think. The voice I used in that recording is actually a very 'twangy' piano sample, the EX concert from memory. I also like this piano for its twanginess, and I admit that the ringing is very faint in the recording. I posted it because it does show how aggressive the G sounds when that's not how I played it. I can also hear the ringing effect, but I know it's there and have lived with it for 3 weeks. I'm ok with it if you can't hear it.

36 686 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Which, to continue to play devil's advocate, is the precise point that Vevurka made here - that finger strength is not necessary for piano playing outside of highly technical works like Rachmaninoff sonatinas, and even there, it is more aerobic capacity that is required, but that instead arm weight should be used to play classical piano, and as keystring pointed out here, the use of the arm in playing piano is no longer just a Russian thing these days.

I must admit I've never heard these Sonatinas by Rachmaninoff, though I do expect they sound quite a bit different from the Clementi one we're all learning at the moment. wink
30 352 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I have never, ever seen something from a factory requiring me to use a particular technician in order to maintain warranty coverage. I believe there are laws against such things here in the US. I have seen language that stipulates who may provide warranty service for an item. I would love to see a photo of this documentation, and am curious of its origin.

Interesting ,there is a statement of some sort in my Sauter booklet which came from Sauter .I would not like to just show a photo of the
actual script unless asking Sauters permission. I know there was a huge conflict between the then distributer and some dealers .I am afraid of causing any
more of a problem.
I could just quote the statement from the book .
37 541 Read More
Yesterday at 11:04 PM
I played an FP90 at an out-of-town gig over the weekend. I did not like it as well as my Kawai ES8, but it was quite good and served its purpose. The piano sounds were more than adequate, but the minute you hold the pedal down and let a chord decay slowly the illusion is broken. Weird swimmy digital stuff. So, don't do that.

Also, the interface was odd: instead of a reverb with different rooms and different levels, there's an "ambience" setting that goes from 2 to 10. Because I was playing in a large, reverberant hall, I turned it to zero. It did not remember that the next time it was turned on, though I bet there's a way to save settings if you look harder (I didn't get a manual with it). And some of the buttons often are not near the functions they control, but you'd get used to that quickly if you own one, I expect.

The speakers were good and loud, perhaps even a bit louder than the Kawai, though I didn't have them side by side of course. Note that for full volume, you not only have to raise the main volume slider but the Part 1 and Part 2 sliders.

I'm sorry you didn't look into why your ES8's speakers were buzzing, because mine only do that when something weird is going on (not firmly placed on the stand, or touching something else that vibrates, or I left a piece of paper on the piano). Your FP90 might have the same problem, so look to clean up the environment around the piano if that happens.
22 694 Read More
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by puremusic
You can use a separate midi controller with a pitch and modwheel if you need one, it will work seamlessly with the piano. . . . .

I think that's true _if_ the DP has "real MIDI" (5-pin DIN jacks including "MIDI In").

I think it's _not_ true if the DP only has "MIDI-over-USB". In that case, you'd have to route the MIDI controller messages into a computer, through a DAW (or MIDI-Ox), and back to the DP (I think).

. . . Not impossible, but some head-scratching might be needed.
2 67 Read More
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If you can save Frank some coin ... make that suggestion to him.

BTW ... I don't know (and I generally don't care) about the software that runs the various boards that I frequent.

But since you mention it, what software is being used here?
And what others are available?
And what are the pros and cons of each?

PW is using UBB threads, a software from the late 90s. I would not be surprised if PW is the largest forum running on this software nowadays. Paid forum software like UBB went on decline as open source solutions matured a long long ago.

phpBB is the most widely used. It is free and open source. Drupal and Joomla are alternatives for more complex use cases.

Pros (phbBB vs UBB): free, easier to administrate, better performance, more secure, better UI, ...

Cons: need to properly migrate the pw content from UBB to phpBB - nothing special, but it will cost money (and this a side effect of using a proprietary system like UBB); the current sys admins will have to learn how to use, config and maintain the new site.

The only advantage in keeping UBB is to avoid a change... but after the transition process is concluded there will be virtually no cons on using something like phbpp, but only advantages for the admins and for the community.
38 524 Read More
Pianist Corner
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by RogerRL
Originally Posted by vmishka
You are better off totally abandoning negative thoughts and replacing them with only "here is what I want to do," never "I don't want to mess up here."
That's interesting. I do something similar, but also a bit different. When a harder section is coming up, I try to think "Oh boy, I get to play this part, and I bet I can really pull it off! I can hardly wait!'. Well, depending on what is going on I may not form that complete a thought, but I do try for anticipation/happiness that this is about to happen, instead of dread/worry. It seems to help me a lot.

That is a really good idea. For me, too, it makes a huge difference to actually *want* to play. The nerves will try to undermine that desire and make you feel you don't even want to be there, so it's great to cultivate excitement and anticipation.

I don't say to myself that I can pull it off, though--for me that would introduce doubt again. Instead I try to think about how wonderful it feels to play it and how beautiful it is.
14 321 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
We are glad to have you here Paul.
11 139 Read More
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
An interesting report on my UR22 :

When comparing buffer length with input or output latency, I find that the latency is in tha range 32-128 samples :

latency = 1.90 * buffer_length / 44,100 + constant

With the constant = 1.177 ms (input) 2.152 (output).

The 1.90 seems to indicate that there are 2 buffers involved (the ASIO specification shows a scenario with two alternate buffers). But it is curious that the factor is not 2. The 1.90 is from a linear correlation, the equation is not exact.

After 128 samples, we have a lower slope (input : 1.10 or output : 1.37)
55 569 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 10:40 PM

Large US bookstores sell them..Barnes and noble sell them.

Originally Posted by nancyde
After all the comments above, I should be too embarrassed to ask this, but I am way to old to be easily embarrassed so here goes. Is it possible to subscribe to the paper magazine (rather than the digital edition) in the U.S.? I don't see the hard copy on their web site, just digital.
42 390 Read More
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by CYama
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by CYama
USER LOCATION: Torrance, California, USA
MAKE: Kawai
MODEL: Novus NV10
CONDITION: New
ALSO INCLUDED: WB-160 Bench and Fully Assembled
PRICE PAID: $8127.85 USD (plus $772.15 USD local tax) = $8900 USD
DELIVERY CHARGE: $150 USD
VENDOR LOCATION: Los Angeles CA
VENDOR NAME: Pierre
PURCHASE DATE: Jan. 29, 2019

Wow. What a great price!

Thanks Tyrone. I was hesitant to post what I paid because I couldn't believe how low he was willing to negotiate.
The gentleman who runs this store is extremely kind, no pressure sales, sole owner of his store and not part of a big chain store.
I'm not sure what his margin is and I hope he doesn't get bombarded with low ball offers once others see my post.
Perhaps the low price is now because the NV10 has been out for close to a year now. I'm not sure.

WOW. What else can I say? Well, competition from the N1x selling at this price may be taking effect.
1,460 3,142,091 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
Tyrone, Would you mind reposting those links? Or at least thread names on which to find them?

Those who feel a need for such vids should PM me and I'll get them squared away smile
115 1,877 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 10:15 PM
Hi Kurtz,

I am so happy to find an owner like you. Although the model number is different, I understand that this was only due to the Young Chang rebranding to Albert Weber for this line. The description of your piano matches the one I am looking at and it is also made in Korea unlike the Weber brand. Incidentally, in my research, I saw that at least in Korea, the latest AW121 model comes from China. I saw this from the Korean Young Chang website using Google Translate. Other sites still state that the Albert Weber line is made in Korea though.

Good to hear about the reliability of this particular model. I do agree the new D.F. design improvements would be good. Unfortunately in my location the dealers do not have the new Albert Webers. They can probably order it and it will arrive a few months later. However, I’m not comfortable buying a piano without seeing, feeling and hearing it myself. Prices for new ones are also about double the price of this second hand. In fact the only reason they have an Albert Weber is because the previous owner traded it in to buy a European piano.

In any case, so far I haven’t heard or learned anything negative about this piano so I’ll probably go ahead with the purchase. If anyone else has any input, please do feel free to chime in.

Thanks again Kurtz.
6 151 Read More
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Today I had an opportunity to play CLP-685. I have to say it's an awful piano. Instead of enjoying music I was struggling with its keyboard all the time of playing. Its keyboard is so heavy that I would call it unplayable.
I advise strongly against this model.

Even the NWX needed a few weeks to grow on me. But now I won't go back to Kawai. smile
6 551 Read More
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Both the PX-S and CDP-S keybeds feature a NEW scaled, weighted hammer action and keys with simulated ebony and ivory surfaces. The PX-S keybed also includes a patent-pending "smart scaling" feature that simulates the hammer and key behavior of each of the 88 keys individually.

Cool. Does the smart scaling feature affect not only how the action triggers its internal sounds, but also how it triggers external sounds triggered over MIDI?

Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
BOTH are two sensor actions. While I don't expect you to take my word for it, these new instruments especially the PX-S series perform better in almost every respect than the tri-sensor action found in previous models. Trust me we had people meticulously comparing them throughout the NAMM show..
I believe you! ;-)
175 10,487 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by John305
Careful Animisha, the Piano World cognoscenti may not like this subversive talk of such sacrilegious topics like interleaved practice.

John, I enjoyed reading your sentence so much, it is like music!

+1, very musical sentence. And very educative, I've learned 3 new English words at once. grin
20 364 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Just today a client called me to come and change a string on his piano. When I got there the string (C3 one of the upper bass strings) was not broken at all but did sound like it was. What had happened was the tuning pin had become loose and backed off considerably. When I brought it up to pitch you could see the hammer moving back with the pin when I took my hand off it. After assessing the situation all I did (this time) was use a good dose of thin CA glue on the pin and pins around it (helps that it was a grand) and waited for it to cure and voila.....just like new (for now). Good ol' CA got me out of a jam once again.
1 81 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Welcome Qwerty53. I had my lesson today. I shared my frustration and delight on last week’s practice with my teacher. The metronome I have come to respect, don’t love, but I do respect it. We worked on dynamics and how I need to become an actor and play the ‘dynamics’ as intended, and not the way my personality would project on it. We listened o various played versions of it, and strangely enough I liked Gould’s version, which was not my take when I started lessons over 5 years ago.
Stayed encouraged. When you observe the ‘little’ improvements over time, and not get overwhelmed with all the new nuances. We are improving.
9,842 34,322,457 Read More
Pianist Corner
Yesterday at 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
. The story was fictional. A modern Spanish composer died and his wife kept many of his piano compositions locked up. .

That sort of thing does really happen. The Harry Warren estate has a bunch of "trunk tunes" they want to license.
40 926 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by oneilt130
I thought it would be fun to play something with the voice that could best be described as a church organ. Any suggestions for something short around beginner / intermediate level with some wow factor?

The Toccata from this is pretty easy, if you can play two-handed scales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY
1 31 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Turn Digital Piano into full Midi Controller?
by FlexHank. 02/15/19 04:05 PM
Looking for fun beginner classical organ piece
by oneilt130. 02/15/19 03:47 PM
Return to Piano after 40 years
by Pau Gasol. 02/15/19 12:19 PM
Prodigy or Hard Work
by Sleepingtiger. 02/15/19 11:09 AM
Can a piano expert help me?
by AntOnYou8. 02/15/19 09:52 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,285
Posts2,795,530
Members92,470
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission