Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
94 registered members (Agent88, AZNpiano, Alex Hutor, bennevis, anamnesis, ando, almo82, 20 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Pianist Corner
1 minute ago
I am traveling to Mansfield, CT, UConn, to hear Frederic Rzewski performing his own "The People United Will Never Be Defeated" on Novenber 3rd.

I am traveling from Europe.
21 426 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
1 minute ago
Originally Posted by RodrigoPon

I did a quick search and couldn't find any. I suppose you're considering trying to fix your clicking problem as well? I seen your posts, apparently you have the same problem as me.

I could not find any either.

Yes, I will do it. I am just waiting for soon to come vacations to work on this project. But mine's warranty is expired (one year only in Brazil). I like the ES8 most of the time but for this freaking click.
14 213 Read More
Piano Forum
15 minutes ago
Here go again ,humidty worries ! I find that the bottom graph does not make sense either .
5 121 Read More
25 minutes ago
On a short range and if DP and monitors are on the same outlet, I see no problem in using a TRS to XLR cable. In fact, it is the setup I have here, connecting my RD2000's unbalanced outs to the Eris 5's with no issues. Sometimes the AG06 goes between them, again without any issue.
15 246 Read More
27 minutes ago
With the Rach #2 the opening chords short get progressively louder. I don't appreciate that here that significantly. That said not sure if it's the inability of the piano range or the player.
283 11,420 Read More
31 minutes ago
Thanks for sharing Bruce in Philly.
I'm not an audiophile, but I am a piano tuner, pianist, composer, and all around music lover (I also happen to own Piano World).

I recently bought a set of Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones, primarily to use with the ProRecord/PianoTeq system I installed
in my Estonia L-190 (acoustic) grand piano. The system allows me to turn my acoustic piano into a midi controller, the PianoTeq software gives me a wide range of wonderful pianos to play with.

However I can't afford the speakers/amps needed to handle the output (which includes Steinway D, Steingraeber E-272, Bosendorfer, Grotrian among others).

While the DT 880 isn't top of the line, the quality jump over my cheaper headphones is amazing.
Now I can truly appreciate the piano voices produced by PianoTeq (of course I still love my Estonia).

My laptop doesn't have a preamp for the headphones so I connected the output to my Hartke KM200 amplifier and use the amplifier headphone jacks, works great!

I posted about them on my FB page here:

5 96 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
33 minutes ago
Hi, I have taught piano and had my own business. The advice and empathy are well deserved. However, to me one of the salient points you made was that half your students come from one school as does this boy, so how you handle the breakup could be critical to your business.

1. People know who these people are and will ignore them or
2. Not to be paranoid, but they could harm your reputation

If you are beloved by your students and the community you have no problem. If this is a school for the privileged, other parents, who might consider using your skills, could be influenced by a slanderous grudge campaign by two, off the wall, narcissists. ( unlikely, but possible)

So, what to do? First, the customer is always right. Like the nurse said, their child's needs ( on every level) are greater than you can meet. Their tremendous care of their talented child... You finally see the big picture. It is no one's fault. You and the boy tried your best. He will do so much better with a teacher he is more sympatico with. Maybe a man would be best. A strong and caring male role model like his dad. You've tried everything you know. A new start with a new teacher would be best for the boy. I am sure he will really blossom with someone he really connects with.
And so on and so forth. Nothing they can hang their angry hats on. They feel good you understand you are not cutting it. They are confident of their boy's full potential when unleashed by the right teacher, which you clearly are not... But it is a good beginning which he will build on. And, really, it was a pleasure to be his teacher as he was always prepared and willing. A very good boy.

Just my obsequious point of view.
38 1,281 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
44 minutes ago

I looked at Peter Martin's site (Open Studio). Watched Geoffry Keezer's sample lesson (about 7 minutes) and liked. I'm going to watch Peter Martin's sample. I may subscribe. One year (lump payment) is $240 for all video access. There are other price tiers with things like downloading. I figure this will make me think of things to work on that wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise.

This may not be a good fit for everyone.
17 335 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
45 minutes ago
I used the Henle site for searching - they have an excellent site. They do not sell directly, but direct you to Hal Leonard and have a list of searchable retailers. The above site was one of several. I just happened on them b/c I checked a nearby zip code. The zip near me had nothing; I used Atlanta as I used to live there and go back and forth, and figured I might stop by one day but it turns out they are basically online only.
6 47 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
... but today "every" teenager can play it. ...

Do they play it, or do they indulge in a meaningless pyrotechnic race?
I quoted an esteemed pianist/ teacher who was obviously talking about the technical aspect of playing that piece.
25 430 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by BruceD
There is a very large selection of classical recordings in all genres from all eras, with new, modern recordings, well-known benchmark recordings and historical recordings.

I've been a subscriber to Spotify for 6 years, and for almost this entire time, I've also subscribed to NML, because for me, the selection of classical and opera on Spotify Premium has been too restrictive for my interests. I've been impressed as heck with IDAGIO and have listened to about 8 hours on it in the last 9 hours since I saw CyberGene's mention of it. I am pleased by the sheer breadth and variety. Not to sound like an ad, but they currently have a 14 days free trial as well as $2.97 for 3 months offer, which is what I signed up for. In any case, since you sound like an old hand at streaming music services, you might want to give this a spin too for the very attractive price of free for 14 days wink
17 270 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
Yes, Precise, I had a fantastic experience with really competent and nice people. I bought the piano from the original owner's estate. She was a music teacher at Brooklyn College and her folks gave it to her perhaps as a birthday present in 1915. She had it throughout her life apparently and when I saw it it was the last item in a dingy, sheet music strewn upper east side apartment. I played it with cracked soundboard and yellowed keys and it sounded awful and great at the same time! I had my late tuner (Herbert Bach!) examine it and in his laconic yet somehow verbose way he gave me a thumbs up. Next thing I knew I was watching it being hoisted out if a fifth story window. It was a holiday weekend. The movers said they would have it at Camillari by the end of day. It never showed up! It was a long worrisome weekend but it arrived at this really old fashioned factory on a cold Monday ( I actually had worried the decrepit thing would freeze). Just one floor, no modern equipment, lots of Hispanic and black workmen and dozens of grand hulks to one side. Lloyd Meier, a well known piano conservationist owned it along with a former Steinway foreman. I had two choices to make. Refurbished Ivory keys, a grand more and finish. Plastic keys and black satin finish for me. So I had bought a case and harp for ten k and paid another ten for the rebuild in 1988 ( the year or the piano keys). Had I made a terrible mistake?

I was privileged to watch it every step of the way, from sad remnant to gorgeous rebirth 73 years later. I took my wife, I took my mom, I took my friends... Any excuse to go to the shop and smell the smells and see the sights and talk to the people about pianos. I found it hard to believe that meticulous work would come from men using such simple tools, but the new action ( on the old key bed) was stunning and smelled like sawdust. The Sitka soundboard gleamed and crowned. New pin block and shining pins. The copper strings like long fat worms appeared one day. The new finish was perfect. The red felt... The decal.... The new chair they altered to my taste. It was fantastic, really.

Then, one day it was ready and my mom and I waited for its delivery, waiting all day looking out the front window. My mom had taught me St. Louis Blues stride bass style when I was thirteen. She was a good player. Finally, around four in the afternoon it arrived and was set up in less than an hour. The vacuum that had been created by the sale of my old Sohmer grand was filled with the most gorgeous object. I marveled at how it could be so old and look so damn modern. What must it have looked like to that little girl in 1915? Awe inspiring to say the least!

I sat down and played it for my mom. She was thrilled. I called in the retired, Italian UPS worker next door. He approved. It was big! The sound was newborn ( and got better and better) it was gorgeous. I was in love. One of the best experiences of my life.
7 193 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
So I've seen a real bargain - 2008 Schimmel K230 going for a song.
I'll have a tech check it out - although not sure what to expect. It's clearly been a 'hire' piano, for events and stuff. Probably more the rock and pop genre than classical.

I've tried some S&S ex-hire pianos before that were knackered. Others were still in pretty good shape.

How well would a Schimmel of this size (and quality) have held out after 10 years on the hire circuit? I don't know this model, so don't know how fundamentally sturdy they're likely to be.

Any thoughts? Speculative, of course... smile
0 28 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
What did you like about the action? I ask because I've heard great things about this model - however heard that the action can be rather shallow and 'loose'.
3 130 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
I posted a fairly similar question re one of their 1985 concert grands http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...tonia-274cm-1985-advice.html#Post2769562

Reading through, you'll see opinions that say they are now pretty much worth nothing - unless you find a rare gem you're in love with.

From research, it seems that up until 1990 they were pure Soviet - strong, possibly well built. But after 1990, as JohnSprung and others have said, the company changed hands and produced pianos of varying quality. In fact, I've heard that they were pretty terrible until the Laul takeover.

Originally Posted by Millyz
I am now looking at this Estonia ... it’s 176cm so I think it’s a 168 Estonia rather than a 190 model
They only made two models - the 190 and the 274. Unless I'm wrong... smile

I did try the 1985 concert grand recently - yet to update my earlier post on how that went! It was in original condition, totally worn out, brassy and knackered. Poor thing. But it was probably a great instrument in its day. I just didn't want to buy it and have it restored - no idea how it may have turned out. And there are so few that we have no points of reference.

As to the new, Laul Estonias. I know they have many fans here. I'm not one of them, alas. I find them inconsistent, and tonally bland and weak. I don't think Laul has quite 'cracked' it yet, IMO...
8 408 Read More
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by TomLC
...If the damper pedal doesn't activate the damper sensor - how does it know? It seems to work? confused (No. 4 went completely over my head.).

That is the problem. The damper sensor is on the pedal, as in any other DP. There are no sensors on the damper mechanism itself. One of the results is that the actual physical position of the dampers may not correlate to the level of damping being applied by the sound engine, as already reported on this thread. So, what you feel may not relate to what you hear. Since Kawai decided to include a real damping mechanism they should have done it properly and use sensors to detect the actual position of the damper rail. The current solution is not exploiting the damper mechanism.

Regarding no. 4, the NV10 does not measure note-off velocities since it has no sensors for that. Therefore the release samples cannot depend on how fast a key is released/returns to the resting position. The CA78 and 98 (and probably other Kawai models) do measure note-off velocity which is used in pianist mode” to control the release samples. Some vsts like pianoteq also use it.
1,897 186,917 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Expect mistakes! The biggest thing that will stop you is the thought that you MUST play perfectly; once you accept the fact that you will make mistakes in front of others, and expect these mistakes when practicing, you'll be able to move on from these mistakes more quickly.

Also, practice in front of smaller audiences and build up!
13 325 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
Well, There is the 1987 official recording, but as I understand there is no recording of his appearance from the 1986 recital, his return to the Concertgebouw after 50 years of absence.

Except: There is a recording.

Please enjoy the excerpts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sSylto5caW1Do8y39jYCUWu8_GIv4hGK (Schubert/Liszt - Soirées de Vienne No. 6)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EnGLvYf6N5i_6tiUXeo0yutNPfSSVzc9 (Moszkowski - Etincelles)

Yes, I was there.
0 25 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
2 hours ago
I bought my "dream piano" in the mid-80s, a new Grotrian 189. From the start, I realised that the action was rather heavy and un-responsive compared to other pianos I played.

I struggled on for far too long. A leading piano tech in my area took the action away for major modifications, only to make a slight improvement.

Two years ago, I went to a music shop to look at a piano with someone else, not intending to buy a piano. When I sat down at a 1980 Yamaha C7, I decided on the spot that enough was enough. The action and tone of this piano was beautiful.

I traded the Grotrian for the C7 and have not regretted it for a second let alone a minute. In fact, I'm annoyed that I left it so long before changing pianos, although it was difficult to say goodbye to the Grotrian having had it for so long!
24 803 Read More
Pianist Corner
3 hours ago
I usually do 1 of 4 things:

1) Use a 3-ring binder like Bruce
2) Use a small hardcover book like thepianoplayer416
3) Bend the sheets backward in the middle enough so they don't fall in front of me while playing but not so much that there's a giant fold mark in the page.
4) Just buy a book (I do this whenever I can)

Generally though, I avoid using bare sheets without some sort of external support, as having too many sheets lying around turns my entire piano top into a giant mess to go through and find my sheets again.
13 198 Read More
3 hours ago
Is it April 1st already? confused
12 304 Read More
Piano Forum
3 hours ago
Thank you KawaiDon for looking into this. This Kawai was probably not manufactured in the US; therefore, will probably not carry a US serial number. Although the piano has fantastic action and a lovely sound, i could not go ahead and buy it knowing that the serial number has been manipulated. Also, upon inspection, the strings seem to be suffering from some rust. It is not a big problem but I would rather do without rusty strings. Again, thank you for all your help.
18 1,760 Read More
4 hours ago
@Johnstaf.... My dealer tells me IF IF IF there is an N2X in the near-term, then he would work with me on arranging some sort of swap out. No discussion of whether or not an additional payment would be requested. As the N2 was purchased this past summer, I certainly hope an exchange would be possible.
21 1,011 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Since releasing this app, they've added so many variants of trees. And I can keep my forest sync'ed with the server and be growing with both my iPad and my iPhone, although not at the same time. What more can anyone want in a practice application? grin

I like that last question . . . . you should've met my Pa . . . . .
14 774 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
What I find extremely important though is the ability to really listen, in a very detailed way, to what I'm playing in an attempt to improve it if needed. This can really help with melody, phrasing, color and much more.

+1. ... and to develop that ability to listen, it really helps to record yourself and play it back. You can evaluate far more thoroughly when you don't have your brain loaded with the effort of actually playing the piano.
47 794 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel K230 (2008) opinions?
by precise. 10/23/18 06:00 PM
Henle Urtext
by cmb13. 10/23/18 05:50 PM
Headphones - Amp - Focals - Grados
by Bruce In Philly. 10/23/18 02:42 PM
Mass-Produced Steinway Rebuilds - opinions pls
by precise. 10/23/18 02:17 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,958
Posts2,755,077
Members91,318
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission