Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
104 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Antihero, AndrewJCW, AAC127, amyram, amad23, accordeur, AYS, 24 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
2 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Honestly, I never did. I don't know why but I just don't feel comfortable doing that.

I know in the audio world, the loss of brick and mortar requires buy and return. PS Audio, the maker of my direct stream DAC, has announced the are only going direct... no more dealers. They are also launching a line of very expensive speakers.... they weigh hundreds of pounds.... how in the heck? I am supposed to buy 180 pounds of speakers for $15K, listen for a few weeks and just send them back? Wha?

Well I guess that is the way it is all going ...... I don't like it.

Do it and feel justified because like PS Audio, it was Nord's choice to only have a few brick & mortar dealers, and none are convenient to you. So just buy it, test it and if you don't like it, return it. As you said, business is going this way. Amazon.com broke the ground for it. Amazon knows people do this. 🙈 They practically encourage it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have so utterly destroyed brick & mortar. It's the generous return policy that does it. Sometimes, I'm sure Amazon loses money because of the return policy, but it's an overall net win for them so don't be shedding any tears for the world's richest man. 😂
13 581 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 minutes ago
BBC Radio 3 reviewed the set this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009k69 (from 1:50 - N.B. may not be available where you live)

The gist of the review was that tempi tend to be fast, and the playing confident & brilliant. The earlier sonatas came off best, but there's a lack of 'vulnerability' and 'sense of discovery' overall.
2 64 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 minutes ago
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Originally Posted by Serge88
My solution is I stop reading and I move to the next thread.

I think it's as simple as that. One can easily choose what to read and not. I certainly don't read every post here, more like scan and hope the important things stand out. Perhaps it's a flaw on my end, but I almost scan everything now that is written on the web, and pull out what I'm interested in or need. Reading a book is different thing altogether, but I think you get the point.

There is also a ignore feature here. You can choose to mute posts from those that you aren't interested in.

+2. No one is forcing us to read every single word.

+1
17 286 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 minutes ago
I am fortunate, the teacher I have now only cancelled once in 4 years for a concert he was playing in. My previous teacher very seldom missed and it was only when he was playing for the symphony. I also play slow, to play the Entertainer up to speed was about a year long process. We generally select one piece to keep working on to get it up to speed. Most of the time I do not hit the metronome suggested markings but feel I learned from the piece and we move on. Piano is just hard for me, I never thought I could practice and still not get it.
30 1,018 Read More
3 minutes ago
Originally Posted by CyberGene
What's curious about this picture is the notch isn't interrupting the light of a single sensing unit but is instead between two such units. That's very clever because it means that a single unit might not be an emitter/detector pair but instead the entire unit can be a pair of emitters followed by a pair of detectors, etc. This allows for units to be chained in a way that will save wiring. For instance, imagine fiber going into a unit, then the second fiber out of this unit still carries the same light signal and can be transferred into the next unit, etc. Also, take in mind that optic fibers can transfer light in the two directions independently. On an electrical wire you have only one digital signal on the wire, high or low. On an optic fiber you can have two emitters on both sides of the wire sending light in the two directions, as well as two detectors.

The N3 has 52 optic fibres for the key sensor unit and 160 for the hammer sensor unit. Not fully sure how this works yet.
3,606 562,329 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 minutes ago
The Chopin Institute publication I have is the same as Alfred version.
1 32 Read More
5 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Pete14

And hear me out, the most noticeable difference we perceive when transitioning from a digital to an acoustic is how much more responsive and immediate the latter feels. Could this be the result of inherent latency in under-powered digitals that, whilst not visible to the human eye, is nonetheless there (like dark matter), and we simply get accustomed to it until an acoustic reveals the limitation by comparison?

As someone who switches between Kawai Novus NV10 and Mason & Hamlin BB (7' grand acoustic) daily - I don't think it is the latency in the digitals. Kawai Novus NV10 feels just as responsive and immediate to me as the BB. The biggest difference is in sound reproduction with speakers and projection. Somehow, the digital speakers (even when as loud as the grand) do not convince the mind that the sound is coming from hammers hitting the strings. It seems somehow recorded and reproduced (which it is) in a different room than I am in. Even when I reduce the reverb to 0, the sound just doesn't sound 'complete' as if it is naturally produced in the room that I am.

I haven't had a chance to play N1X - but when I played N3X, it felt closest to the grand in terms of sound reproduction.

Originally Posted by Pete14

So, why are we not as obsessed about processing power/efficiency as we are with sample size?

Who says we are not? smile I think the audio amplifier/speaker and processing is one of the weakest factors of the current generation highest end Hybrids (Novus and AvantGrands).

Osho
1,817 105,143 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
16 minutes ago
ChasingRainbows, I have also heard of Lesson Face not sure how reputable it is. I have also seen ads for private lessons not associated with a school.
https://www.lessonface.com/
15 398 Read More
Piano Forum
20 minutes ago
Originally Posted by MaxKeenlyside
At a local music store I encountered a brand-new upright with the name "H. Kreisler" on the front; this seems to be a stencil piano, given that I can find no evidence of it in any books, or online.

I googled and someone at this link said it is made by Mason & Risch, Canada.
4 6,234 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner
20 minutes ago
Yesterday, I played a bit of a monster program containing Scriabin 5, Liszts fantasy on BACH, Estampes and the Symphonic etudes.
The recital started with this beautiful piece by Mozart, kv 511.

I hope you enjoy. Comments are of course welcome smile

Mozart kv 511
0 5 Read More
25 minutes ago
Originally Posted by MusicalDudeist
Whether you hit a Message button, or a Report button, you still have to describe what you think the issue is. One process is no harder than the other.

I actually didn’t know that since I’ve never reported anyone. smile
84 1,655 Read More
Piano Forum
31 minutes ago
Originally Posted by bennevis
For everyone playing digitals, the first thing to do is to push the sustain level right up (if the digital allows you to).

Its exactly what I did once I got home, also increased the volume of it as well.
14 330 Read More
Piano Forum
56 minutes ago
Chances are the action was assembled by the rebuilder from parts, as the piano manufacturers do.

The rails don't look very well finished.

Fitting a modern action to a Steinway from that era is not like replacing a Bösendorfer Viennese or Blüthner Patent action.
2 89 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by petebfrance
And, apparently in Victorian England the piano legs would be uncovered. Shameful!
http://thecommonroomblog.com/2007/09/the-victorians-and-piano-legs.html

Yes. The piano is positively indecent! Queen Victoria would not be amused. shocked
11 327 Read More
1 hour ago
I have a MODX7, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help. The menu-diving complexity is high on this instrument and a bit daunting to me as well. I can't imagine that will be any less complex when the next OS update adds pattern sequencing ability.
5 140 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
One great thing about living so near the UK is that I can take advantage of their oversupply of ancient pianos. Things will be potentially more complicated after Brexit, as my next UK-sourced piano would be an import into the EU.
24 552 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Thanks for your help. I'll check out the Philip arranger. And I've liked most of Dan Coates stuff.
13 343 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
I did go to have a look today. It's in the furniture section of Harrods. Took some photos..

Harrods

and a quick recording of the sound..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BY-3vfx5-59kj8bGU9f1pqupUCLzcLwB/view?usp=sharing

The bass is as expected. And the piano didn't seem to have much sparkle. And the piano had some sort of buzzing sound - the sales guy said it had been there for 6 months on the floor so who knows maybe had been dropped inside it or something.
6 197 Read More
2 hours ago
Man, sounds great!
47 2,219 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Making it stronger (something I've never heard of) is hardly going to help. Why don't you re-post a sensible question?

Why don't you post a less condescending response?

thumb thumb thumb
14 304 Read More
Pianist Corner
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by dogperson
I would recommend that you need actual music that is planned to develop additional skills needed to play.
Agree !! You don't fully master the piano by simply playing "exercises." The ultimate goal is to play real music - which can be learned concurrently with exercises.

Well known method books include Alfred, Faber, Bastien, Thompson, Schaum, etc. It's difficult to recommend a specific book without knowing the OP's actual skill level.
5 144 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by outo
In the end there are a few options for the student in this situation:
- Do just what the teacher says and not progress
- Find a better teacher (not always possible)
- Quit the lessons and try to self-teach
- Keep taking lessons, but compensate for the teacher's shortcomings by finding information elsewhere and experimenting yourself
- Quit trying to learn to play piano

Most of these are not perfect solutions, but I still think the last one is the worst, if the spark is still there...

Yes, I agree. I was in a situation that had some of these hallmarks some 15 years ago more or less, so I'm sensitive to it. Some things about this:

If you are new to music / music instruction or similar, you won't know which way is up. You have a "niggling feeling" but you don't know if anything is wrong, or if it's just you. You may not even know anything is wrong; you diligently do what you're told and when you don't progress or even go backward, you think you lack the "needed talent" or such - the idea that the teaching is the problem doesn't occur to you. It is the very lack of knowledge and experience that prevents clarity that "this is not ok". Even the "niggling feeling" can be suppressed by guilt of having a "poor student attitude". You have a state of confusion and no clarity. If you know there is a problem with the instruction, you can start dealing with that problem, including your options. If you don't know and are just in a muddle, you can't.

This is where I find it so destructive when new students are told that if they just follow a teacher's every instruction, all will be fine, and if they don't follow a teacher's instructions, This implies that all teachers are good teachers - and that is a myth wink Adult students already tending toward deference, they'll shrink back to being the "good student" again and get ever deeper in that hole.

The first thing is to realize that not all who teach, teach well, and not all who hang up the teacher shingle should have such a shingle. If the myth of all teachers are teachers remains, it traps the novice student. The experienced student who has had good teaching, perhaps on another instrument, is more likely to trust the sense that something is not ok.

Once you have figured that out, you can go on to the options you listed. You've been pretty thorough with your list. Nothing to add there. smile
155 2,450 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
3 hours ago
I don't think it's all that necessary to re-space the strings, unless they are so close they are buzzing. If you re-space them, they're quite likely to move back to where they have already settled at, I think, over time.
3 68 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
I have a backup recording for the recital. I'll be Oz for the first 2 weeks of November so I have to be done by the 30th of October, I can submit from there that isn't a problem. My recording is rough in places, but good enough if I can't do better in the next 11 days.

It is always good to have that first recording. There is just a little less pressure when doing further takes later.
35 729 Read More
Just For The Fun of It
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by TomLC
Hm, In the Maude translation I’m starting chap. 10. While in the P&V book, I’m starting Chap. 7. How can the chapters be different? So it looks like I need to use the P&V and not try to switch between. The “boys” just finished the rum party with the bear. I’m already loving this book.

Lots or repercussions with that bear!

The silly things young people do. When I was in college, I thought to myself, "what's the big deal about sitting on a windowsill and drink a bottle of rum? I could easily do that! I'm a rock climber, after all!" But before I could try it out myself, I realized I had no idea how big a bottle of rum it was, nor how sloped was the window sill/ledge... Anyways, it probably was worse than it sounds in the story as I don't think Tolstoy would have used that scene if it was a simple feat.
142 2,633 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Measure 25 - Polonaise in G Minor - Chopin
by bSharp(C)yclist. 10/19/19 03:44 PM
Steinwas, but what was it?
by edferris. 10/19/19 12:05 PM
Do these hammers need to be filed?
by 12root2. 10/19/19 11:30 AM
Yamaha MODX
by CyberGene. 10/19/19 10:41 AM
HiJacking Threads
by dmd. 10/19/19 10:32 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,613
Posts2,881,013
Members94,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission