Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (anotherscott, ajames, Bambers, 35 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Teachers Forum
1 minute ago
I remember my kids doing all kinds of "exposure" classes through their daycare centers. There are lots of these out there and some use piano/keyboard as the main medium. I remember one is called "Harmony Road". There is also the Yamaha program. I'm sure there are many others. Some music teachers (not necessarily piano teachers) also run their own "first exposure to music" type programs with piano as the instrument. So such programs could also be good before the kid is sent to traditional one-on-one piano lessons. For these programs, a fun teacher is very important. :-)
16 318 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
2 minutes ago
Nordomus
Be sure your computer is in the "High Performance" power plan. It's very important to prevent cracks and other unwanted computer behavior.

[Linked Image]
15 142 Read More
5 minutes ago
That's so interesting, mcoll. The music pitch tests that I know of (whether dictation or musical IQ tone tests) have always been relative. It's curious that you were effectively given perfect pitch tests too - or rather, as you describe it, perfect pitch was just part of the skill set being tested and refined.

I do not have any pure kind of pitch recognition. In fact, I see chords and tone relationships as coloured geometric blocks or real world objects. It's probably a way of characterising musical phenomena for one who is totally void of the gift of perfect pitch.

Your story and bennevis's story are fascinating. I'd never thought of the possibility of losing this capability, any more than you forget how to ride a bike or swim, which does not happen - you just get out of practice.
56 1,197 Read More
19 minutes ago
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by mcoll

Now, 20 years after my "perfect pitch" experience...........Now I'm left wondering if maybe I didn't really have perfect pitch, despite the perfect dictation tests, or if I lost it due to lack of usage (long breaks in playing), or if it maybe had anything to do with the auditory mishap in highschool.

What exactly did the dictation tests evaluate, and how?

I suppose they evaluated our ability to recognize notes. The teacher would play random notes on the piano and we would have to transcribe them as sheet music. For a time (I don't remember how long) she would start the test by telling us the first note, which would actually result in relative pitch, but later during the lessons the tests became completely blind, without a starting point, which would actually test perfect pitch, I believe. I know for certain I performed perfectly in both instances. And I was also able to play on the piano any melody I heard, but that may speak less towards perfect pitch.
This was in stark contrast to my vocal abilities which were the worst in my class and almost prevented me from entering the music school. I could only reach from C to G (same octave), and even those without too much precision. Meanwhile my voice got significantly better (lots of singing while playing the guitar certainly helped) and I sound palatable and cover 2 full octaves. But the perfect pitch is certainly gone frown

One last thing to add to the way my brain seems to work - I had very poor visualizing skills and the visual memory certainly wasn't part of my skillset. Face memory was terrible, generic shapes less so, but it was nearly impossible to visualize either in my mind. Meanwhile, the visualizing skills and visual memory have significantly improved. I have wondered in the past if this improvement wasn't in some way correlated with the decrease in hearing precision.

@Bennevis, interesting thing, that interview. Thank you for sharing and shedding some more light onto my question!
56 1,197 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
20 minutes ago
Yep, ChildofParadise, I suspect these introductory "lessons" are meant as a low-committment exposure to the piano. The idea is that if he shows any interest, they will go the traditional route with a regular teacher and a piano. What I proposed last night (and what I think they have accepted) is the idea that the piano itself needs to come first. I don't want a perceived lack of interest to be based on him meeting with a high schooler for a few days in a month. My worry is that this kind of beginning could set him up for failure. This may not be the right time, but just having a piano in the house could set the stage for the right time later. Anyway, I'm doing my part- I'm working with them to get the piano in the house! I can't force the kid to enjoy the piano, but I certainly want to encourage him as much as I possibly can. Like many of you here, I'm an evangelist for the piano and can't stop touting its wonders and benefits!
16 318 Read More
23 minutes ago
Great news, thanks Steve.

I am enjoying my Dexibell as much now as when I got it. Very much looking forward to trying the Platinum pianos!
1 44 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
25 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Handyman
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by Jouishy
I know it is not time. wink
But time and size is correlated, so...

If you encode your mp3 at 192 kbs, you can fit more than 14 minutes in 20 mb. But do you want to...

Sam

Sam - what is the usual or default for mp3s? - Will an increase lead to a subsequent decrease in sound quality? Or is the quality already so compromised with the compressed mp3 file that it won't make a noticeable difference?

128kbs is probably the lowest you should go. 192 is better, 256 better than that. The lower the number, the more information that gets lost. The higher the number, the larger the file. The only restriction we have for the recital is file size - 20mb max.

Sam
31 565 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
25 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Rickster
Once you have the pic image URL address, (meaning the pic has to be hosted on an online site) copy the pic URL address and click on the pic icon at the top of the full reply post window. It is the 9th icon from left to right. When you click on the pic icon, a drop-down window will appear and you to enter the URL address; since the drop-down window already has "http" in it, you will need to remove it because your pic URL address already starts with "http". If you don't remove the "http" that is already there, it will not work.

Once you post the pic URL address in the pic drop-down menu, click OK. You will see the http text language in your post, and not the pic until you either post the reply or click on preview reply. To see if your pic is there, click preview reply, and if everything worked like it should you will see your pic. Next, just click "post reply" and we will all see your photos! smile

You don't even need to do that. You can copy the contents of the BBCode section on the right side on the imgur site and then paste it directly into your message. It will put an embedded image in your post.
8 112 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
29 minutes ago
To feel the difference, compare the movements of the fingers, hands and body of the performers on these clips:

The greatest Zakir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4u0AEl7xHw

Kid learns on tabla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOPjbDSs8k

Emma Leiuman on piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzzdCz0cOQ&index=4&list=PLm5WQleMU0B0wmbnpBgnjR7HEj85rD7QZ

See all the clips, including also from the OP at a speed of 0.25.
23 1,257 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
30 minutes ago
I started lessons in March of this year. My teacher is very good and I'm glad he took me on. He has about 20 students, two are adults (myself and one other). I would say nearly half the children are Asian, most of which seem to be siblings. I live in a typical, small, rural, mid-western town with little to no music culture promoted to speak of other than the occasional classic rock cover band in the local dive bar. Therefore, I'm not surprised at the ratios. He teaches students most motivated to learn and pay $$ and not many adults in my region have much interest in something like piano lessons. Also, my teacher finds that his Asian families value music as a cultural benefit for their children, whereas the prevailing extracurricular activity among the locals here for children is travel sports.
273 11,296 Read More
Piano Forum
30 minutes ago
I have one hard bound Brahams Piano Pieces and it is very nice but a bit difficult to set on the music desk. I got it on sale but prefer the soft bound editions.
6 268 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
30 minutes ago
I never cease to be amazed at how easily some parents differentiate between sports and music. They'll readily grasp that a kid cannot learn a sport without ready access to the the equipment and to real training, yet think a kid can "develop" an appreciation for an instrument without having that instrument for daily use and without making a commitment to provide real training and home support.
16 318 Read More
41 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by Granyala
What will happen if you set the sample value too low is sync errors, audible as clicks and pops.

But what is too low?

You should not feel the latency. At least on my acoustic, I don't feel it.

So test that:

- 44100Hz and 256 samples. Do you feel the latency? If yes, test at 44100 Hz and 128 samples... You stop when you have reached a point where you don't feel the latency anymore.

With your machine, if your bios and Windows are well optimized, you should be able to play without problems at 44,1kHz o 48kHz / 64 samples. At this level, the latency is not perceived by most of us.

However, be carefull that it is not so easy to optimize Windows to play the sound in realtime with a perfect success and 0 crackles.

Good luck
15 142 Read More
Piano Forum
43 minutes ago
I appreciate well made books, so of course I like Henle editions. I recently purchased a clothbound Henle edition and it is very nice but I hesitate to write in it. If I wanted it just for reference then I would prefer the clothbound version but if I'm going to use it at the piano and write in it, I prefer the paperbound version.
6 268 Read More
44 minutes ago
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's not sample value. It's buffer size.

Regarding your question ... Set the buffer size as low as possible without getting clicks and pops. (Too low is when you hear clicks and pops.)

Ok I get it but isn't there universal limit? It always depends on system or something?
15 142 Read More
44 minutes ago
I have to agree with clothearednincompo.

Stick with the name brands: Yamaha, Kawai, Roland, Casio. (I'd add Korg and Dexibell, but I don't know whether they sell low-cost units.)

And ... avoid other brands. Williams is one to avoid.
4 105 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
45 minutes ago
I would first find out what these lessons really are before providing any advice. Are these piano lessons in a traditional sense, or are these lessons meant for first exposure or simply musical activities that involve piano? There are a lot of programs that use piano to expose kids to musical instruments, basic concepts and an idea about what it's like to play an instrument. Sometimes parents simply want their kids to get a sense of what it's like to play piano. For such purposes, lessons are more like play time with an instructor, and maybe a high school student is just fine for this.
16 318 Read More
46 minutes ago
It's not sample value. It's buffer size.

Regarding your question ... Set the buffer size as low as possible without getting clicks and pops. (Too low is when you hear clicks and pops.)
15 142 Read More
50 minutes ago
I couldn't stress enough what Mac has said. Durability is essential if you're thinking about gigging. You wouldn't want to look at a laptop that just broke before the gig. For that budget you could look at an older business notebook in the local ads or on ebay (dell latitude, hp probook / elitebook, lenovo thinkpad). Look for a decent CPU (preferably at least an i5 since we're talking about older versions, but not i5-**** u, those are low voltage) with good benchmark scores and even if it's got a few years of usage, it should do OK.
A new laptop in that budget would likely be underpowered, and certainly of very low build quality.
8 119 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
54 minutes ago
I recently stumbled on your Youtube channel through some other path (researching clave patterns IIRC); great stuff, well-presented and entertaining. Good for a by-ear player/composer, like me, wanting to learn some jazz styles/techniques without getting too far down in the theoretical weeds. Thanks for sharing.

Dave
1 108 Read More
Pianist Corner
55 minutes ago
I'm left handed and frankly have to work harder on the left hand parts. To me, it's mainly a psychological issue I believe. Piano dexterity has been equalized at the start because I am a beginner still developing all the nuances in both hands at the same time. The left hand so often is playing an accompaniment or something less "familiar" than the dominant right hand melody. Therefore,I find my right hand taking off more intuitively and playing those parts with much less thought more quickly than the left hand. Yet, it really depends on the piece. If something is rather fluid or interesting in the left hand I seem to be able to pick it up quicker than the right or vice versa. Or, if the left is doing something repetitive then the right needs a little more memorization and attention. Guess what I'm saying is hand dominance for me never seemed to factor as an issue as I'm learning and has been more a factor within the pieces themselves than an issue with my hands.
16 506 Read More
1 hour ago
Hi All. After a fantastic visit to Dexibell HQ last week where I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with the new Platinum pianos I am very happy to announce that the Dexibell S9 is on it's way this month smile smile wink

Next week will see the 3 new free sounds available to download from the Dexibell website - Platinum US, Japan and German grands. The VIVO grand sound is expressive enough and these Platinum versions are 3 times bigger weighing in at just under 1gb compressed each. Truly stunning. I didn't realise either that the sampling is done totally in house by Luigi in his studio, who was also responsible for much of the sampling for Roland Europe. Pretty sweet.

SO. The S9 has the new TP400 hybrid wood action from Fatar which I can confirm is pretty nice. Light, but expressive, quiet and also features aftertouch. 9 motorised fader drawbars and layering / splitting of up to 4 tones running at 24bit audio with unlimited polyphony. Nice spec. Will come complete with higher grade plexiglass music rest and also the CP pedal in the box.

Little facts - the end panels are hand carved and stained by a renowned guitar luthier in Italy giving a really unique and bespoke feel to each board.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL VID from the fabulous Ralf Schink. Well worth a watch, I love how expressive his playing is and the fact that the sound is clearly making him smile!

https://youtu.be/qaUowATaBq0

They should hit the UK right at the end of July. If anyone has any questions, please get in touch and I hope to see some of you on my UK tour with the board visiting the dealers and studios

All the best
Steve
1 44 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
1 hour ago
There are two possibilities: The wire is not the same thickness, which is not quite as likely as the second: The spring is too long.
10 229 Read More
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Granyala
What will happen if you set the sample value too low is sync errors, audible as clicks and pops.

But what is too low?
15 142 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
That reality stings for a little bit.
23 777 Read More
Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 61 62
New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Class Leading Dexibell S9 is here, plus Platinum content..
by CUKaudio Steve. 07/17/18 02:22 PM
What is the best digital piano for the kids?
by Rachelbesty. 07/17/18 11:48 AM
Pianoteq 6- sound latency
by Nordomus. 07/17/18 11:17 AM
Chromebook with Piano VSTs?
by Time-Keeper John. 07/17/18 11:09 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,464
Posts2,732,452
Members90,586
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission