Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (BachToTheFuture, AndyP, 7uturu, akc42, 13 invisible), 484 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum
4 minutes ago
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Somebody here had the line "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut" as part of his signature.

Keep the original keys. There is no reason to change.

I would most defiinitely second that.

In your original post you said that it was you who brought up the subject of replacing the keys themselves.The only reasons I can think of for replacing the key sticks is that they have gone out of shape (warped) or have dried out so much they're now noisy. The comment about increased speed is plain bunkum since a key stick is a piece of wood with the same mass and inertia now as it was when it was first built. The feel of the action is down to how it has been regulated, and that will include all replacement bushes, pins etc.

You ask how to make it a 'Wow' piano, and my answer is in this youtube video : https://youtu.be/buAhSXH4r08
25 630 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
8 minutes ago
Originally Posted by ADWyatt

but in the first place they won't work on any Kawai product, and secondly I doubt that they would have the training to repair a hybrid piano anyway.

On the latter part I would rather think that depends on what's gone wrong, if it's just action regulation that is needed then any independent tech should be able to help surely? I'm sure I've heard those with AGs just getting a regular tech for that task. They're acoustic grand actions after all.
15 436 Read More
20 minutes ago
Originally Posted by mabraman

(...) Now back on topic, every digital or hybrid needs manteinance over time. Contacts, sensors, lubrication, felts and foams are going to get worn at some point. In those digitals with grand-like action, add a five year, or so, periodical regulation.
Electric/electronic parts are more durable but sometimes they fail before time or are deffective.

If I were you I'd wait for Yamaha to launch a new N2, given your circumstances.

What is the actual experience of Yamaha AG users regarding maintenance or repairs *after* the warranty period is over? How easy is to get support from Yamaha to get maintenance done and actually how expensive is it?' Or are we talking about getting the parts and then doing some kind of DIY-maintenance?

I really do not know how Yamaha's or Kawai's customer support handles out of warranty requests. Maybe we can get some insights on this from Kawai's perspective from Kawai James.

Anyhow, I would believe that some maintenance (felts, foams, lubrication, contact clean-up...) on an hybrid like the Novus or AG can be easily done by a regular DP technician or even by an
acoustic piano technician with some experience on DPs. But any issue with electronics (on an hybrid or non-hybrid) may require a replacement of complete circuit boards or components. And I do not know if such repairs are even considered by Yamaha or Kawai after warranty.
15 436 Read More
24 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Is it a keyboard or a digital piano? The touch for each is different, and playing a keyboard doesn't need special technique necessarily. Although if you train to play piano then most of what you do for piano carries over to keyboard.

It also depends on what your goals are, what style of music you want to play, etc.

It's Yamaha keyboard. But the keys are flat. I just want to know how I should walk up and down the keyboard.
8 385 Read More
39 minutes ago
With the fingers, in an arched position, like you would hold a tennis ball in your hand.
You already received the best advice you could get: get a good teacher. Good luck!
8 385 Read More
48 minutes ago
to MacMacMac: Yes, that's right. I just don't understand how the keys should be touched. The keys are flat.
8 385 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
I am pretty much recovered and back at focused practicing again. I had a great lesson yesterday. My teacher was very pleased with my Bach Gigue, both Beethoven Sonatas, and the Chopin prelude. That made my day! There is an repeated ornament throughout the Beethoven Sonata in F minor, op. 2. 1, that I just could not get to sound as crisp as I wanted. With my teacher's help yesterday I nailed it, and now it is easy. Now that piece can start approaching performance speed.
9,561 33,850,964 Read More
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by ADWyatt

But they had to get rid of Kawai, he said, because you couldn't get the darned things repaired. Kawai never, but never, sent any requested repair parts at all for any of their pianos, so in the case of a breakdown customers were stuck with nothing more than a giant door stop.

That sounds weird. Some years ago I had my ES7 serviced under warranty. They had to change some chip but it had to be ordered from Japan, what would have taken one good month.
Instead, the technician got an agreement with Kawai distributor, to order a part from USA, so in 3 (more) days it was fixed. This could be all a lie from him, but it is what he told me.
That same man works officially for every other brand in the market, plus his own business as a pro sound installer/repairing.

It is true, however, that Kawai parts are scarce and more difficult to buy than Yamaha's and that's a point in wich they need to work seriously. But I won't dare to say they donĀ“t sell or send parts
(though they don't have a proper supply system).

Now back on topic, every digital or hybrid needs manteinance over time. Contacts, sensors, lubrication, felts and foams are going to get worn at some point. In those digitals with grand-like action, add a five year, or so, periodical regulation.
Electric/electronic parts are more durable but sometimes they fail before time or are deffective.

If I were you I'd wait for Yamaha to launch a new N2, given your circumstances.

Anyway, once warranty expires, the most typical manteinance tasks can be done by everyone, go search on youtube how to change felts and foams and tft layers...and so on smile
15 436 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
I do have a trick for the the aural modulations that works pretty well for me. Hum the tonic in your head after the examiner plays it. If the ending chord contains that note, it is the subdominant. If it does not, it is the dominant. For example if the tonic is C, the IV is FAC, if The V it is GBD, The dominate will clash with the tone in your head.

I am taking the Grade 8 ABRSM in November. The aural is pretty challenging. I can do the sing the lowest part of a three part melody, name the cadence, modulations, and describe a piece. I Am still struggling will naming the first of the three ending chords. The last two are pretty well defined by the cadence. The sight singing is still challenging for me.
479 81,193 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
When I am at the point that I can perform or record a piece, I literally sing it in my head while I am playing. Not Glen Gould style! I do not sing out loud. By "singing it", I can embue it with the emotion, the sound that I want. This helps keep my attention focused on what I am playing. I focus on listening. The downside of this is if I hit a wrong note it jars my senses. This can only work with I really know a piece well and play it from memory. If I am following the sheet, it divides my attention.The danger is when I get near the end while recording, a little thought will creep in "this is a good take!" and then I sometimes crash. I am still working on that! grin
20 375 Read More
2 hours ago
ADWyatt - If I have read between the lines your last post correctly, it sounds very much to me like you have done your research and have already made up your mind. The only fly in the ointment is the tech support.
I don't know Kawai US/Canada warranty details but here in the UK it is 5 years. It's not 15 years but 5 is decent in my opinion. In your position and given what you have said, I'd go with my heart and get a Novus and not worry about it (at least for 5 years anyway).

Appreciate your due diligence but as I said before, any issues beyond 5 years, then cross that bridge when you get there but in the meantime enjoy that journey. There doesn't seem like a tick every box solution, so go with what fits you best. Good luck whatever you decide to do
15 436 Read More
2 hours ago
Key action and sound (on those with the same price range) are pretty much depend on one's taste
But, personally, i've played 545, 603, Ca65, I'd give u my thought
+ The let-off stimulation on Yamahas feels like a joke, almost non-exist at all
+The Roland has "fake" wooden key
+CFX piano sound sounds sweet, warm, very enjoyable, as always (depend on people's taste)
+Most realistic (like dynamic, decay, etc) may belong to Roland, but as i played at a store, the 603 gave me nice and very realistic bass sound but the high range sound somewhat bad (not that terrible but sound really bad, comparing to those bass range)
+Kawai has the best action to me and to many people on this forum
8 693 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
2 hours ago
Dear Keith, thank you for sending me "Voicing for the Rest of Us", it was eminently interesting reading.
It's a good thing I don't have a needle holder yet, otherwise I might have had a go at it already on a few particularly nasty-sounding notes right after the tenor break on my 50-year old small upright (ideal for experimenting). As a beginner, I suspect I should do more playing, listening, comparing and reading before getting down to voicing, but on the other hand one of the factors in buying an old and worn-down piano rather than a newer one was the desire to be free to tinker with it to learn the basics of the trade.

Thanks again for being so generous with your knowledge.
25 1,866 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Originally Posted by Zilthy
Submissions open May 1, when is the due (final) submission date and time?

14 May, 9pm Eastern standard time.

Thank you. That gives me 3 weeks and 2 1/2 days. Going for the Chopin piece, butchered or not, here I go! laugh
41 911 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by Zilthy

14 May, 9pm Eastern standard time.
41 911 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
4 hours ago
Considering Chopin Prelude in E minor (Op 28 no 4) a huge overstretch for me, overly abused by beginners as much as the first Moonlight Sonata movement, but sort of okay with falling on my face trying it.
41 911 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
4 hours ago
41 911 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
4 hours ago
After some time off (due to an injury and work) I am back in to it again. As much as I would love to see where I would be musically without ever taking breaks, sometimes longer than desired, that is not necessarily where my life has fit. But now, after a long break recovering from an injury and a new job with no more travel, diving back in to classical piano again.

And looking to take lessons again. I could go back to my initial teacher, I liked her, and had a good rapport with her. But, I don't think I was getting what I needed from her. And that is where the questions I have come in. There are numerous posts, guides and articles on finding a teacher, all are valid and give good guidance. But, those are also from the perspective of an absolute beginner. I am not. Although I am a beginner on piano, I understand music very well from learning and playing many other instruments. I can read sheet music. I know music theory. I also know how my hands feel, and how to train them to play with minimal tension (I say minimal, because with *no* tension at all they would just be floppy)

What I don't know is the proper position, amount of wrist, etc all the technical details of building this muscle memory correctly, so I do not end up limited, having to retrain, etc.

Maybe I am overthinking all of this. I could be over compartmentalizing all of this. I am probably over focusing on this. But, from my personal experience of playing different instruments over the last 40 years, this is also the area that has given me the most problems.

And I talked to her about it, explained where I was coming from. Her response was that she tried not to be overly critical of beginners, but she would start pointing out more things to me. And she did. Things like I missed a flat sign, or did not hold a note quite long enough while sight reading. On technique it still remained "don't worry, that will just happen." Now, I know from my own personal experience, that is not the case, and what I tried to point out. Granted, what she pointed out was not wrong, and I *do* value that feedback, I am looking for something more.

I guess my questions are not so much on how to look for a teacher (lots of material out there on that) but more like *what* should I be looking for in a teacher?

And all the while, when I read and play the music, when it goes from pianissimo to forte, I Neve think "Oh, it's getting louder" and instead I am thinking and feeling "my sadness churns to anger. Or my timidness boils to frustration."
0 56 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by malkin
I'm not sure it would work for you, but in the past I have taken clients that I didn't want by setting up a very limited time frame to address a few specific targets after which we all agreed in advance that it would be over.

For me it works because consulting or parent training can be an effective short term service pattern, which may not be justifiable for a piano teacher.

Maybe you could set up another teacher: Mrs. OtherTeacher can take you in six months, and I can teach you until then...

Yes, a trial period would be a great idea, IMO.
8 466 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
4 hours ago
Thanks, dogperson. Totally agree with everything you've said in both your posts on this thread.
36 982 Read More
Pianist Corner
5 hours ago
Among people of my acquaintance, there are none I can think of who feel at all intimidated by any music, classical or not. Most simply either like or dislike a particular classical piece, or indeed any sort of piece, in much the same way they might prefer oranges to bananas. Their personal taste is not, that I can discern, influenced by considerations external to the sound experience itself. One or two listen to certain types of music, attend concerts of particular genres because they think it the right thing to do, but that is not intimidation.
5 200 Read More
Pianist Corner
5 hours ago
There is a lot of snobbery involved in the world of classical music which might prevent people to feel free about expressing their opinions and feelings about the music. It's a pity. There are many ways to enjoy music. Some people want to dissect it and get their enjoyment from "understanding" it. But there's a lot of "classical" music that works well without being educated about it. It just takes some time and effort to get acquinted with what's out there because it's not so heavily marketed for the masses and there is so much of it that one might not know where to start...
5 200 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
5 hours ago
The ability to keep one's concentration is quite individual as is the ability to work consistently on autopilot. I can only concentrate for longer periods on things that present a challenge or a problem to solve. I cannot really work on full autopilot either, not even with things I have practiced for years. It's a difficult equation with the piano. Since I am not willing to use chemicals to change my brain I have accepted that inconsistency is part of my playing and a "perfect" recording just won't happen. The longer the piece the more certain it is that at least one random moment of "losing it" happens. The best results I get by practicing the piece for a longer period but with breaks and then only record one take a day for a week or two. This way the piece stays somewhat fresh but is still well learned. But I tend to run out of time for the recitals because I always start too late...haven't even decided on a piece for the next one...
20 375 Read More
Piano Forum
5 hours ago
Hi Corvus,

Overall you have provided some good insight in your description of PianoDisc and ProRecord, vs. the very capable Disklavier Pro HD play/record system and outstanding Wayne Stahnke LivePerformance LX / Spirio's playback system. The Disklavier Pro HD recording (and equally good HD playback) system is the best on the market... also developed by Mr. Stahnke.... it would be interesting to see what Spirio is offering as a recording option on the Model D. Optical sensors under the keybed? Measurement of hammer shanks as well? Does it record to the standard 128 MIDI levels or to an expanded MIDI set of 1024 levels? I do agree that Steinway's purchase of RePerformance and Live Performance LX was truly a bad thing for anyone not purchasing a new Steinway Spirio. The HD MIDI Editor (which was available on both PC Windows and Mac O/S) provided a level of editing not offered by anyone else, and was curiously never replaced by Yamaha or picked up by any other commercial MIDI Editor... effectively killing establishing a new industry MIDI HD Standard.

One thing that I would like to clarify is that PianoDisc's ProRecord system CAN and DOES provide MIDI recording capability of proportional sustain pedaling. This is an option that is provided to the user: DEFAULT is on/off, OPTION is Proportional Sustain pedaling. This is very useful when I am sharing my recorded MIDI performances with other Disklavier and Live Performance users! The Soft Pedal and Sostenuto Pedals can only be recorded by ProRecord as on/off commands.

PianoDisc's SilentDrive HD system however can only playback on/off sustain pedaling, as this is limited via the use of an on/off sustain pedal proportional solenoid. The system can be programmed as to how to interpret a proportional sustain MIDI command, or the user can use a standard MIDI Editor or tool to process the proportional waveform to their own desire... I use Spencer Chase's (http://www.spencerserolls.com) utilities to modify the recorded proportional sustain pedaling of my recorded MIDI performances to a desired on/off profile. Since the Silent Drive HD system does not provide any soft pedal solenoid, I also use these same tools to convert the on/off soft pedal MIDI data into a volume reduction, similar to what happens on an upright when the hammers are brought closer to the strings.

The other interesting thing I discovered is that the PianoDisc SilentDrive HD system CAN playback HD MIDI recordings recorded on Disklavier Pro HD systems... since it provides playback control to 1024 levels, not just the standard 128 MIDI levels. The ProRecord MIDI system however only records to the standard 128 MIDI levels of expression, via use of dual optical sensors located under the keybed.
11 585 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
7 hours ago
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Where are the students who like their teachers and are happy with the teaching they are getting?

On the ABF!!!

(Yes, but we can't but help be neurotic too.)
36 982 Read More
Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 63 64
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for new teacher. Or do I need a coach?
by Zilthy. 04/20/18 12:15 AM
Do many people feel insecure about classical music?
by pianoloverus. 04/19/18 04:31 PM
Parents (and Students) that Energize Me
by Dr. Rogers. 04/19/18 02:36 PM
Kawai Novus repair question...
by ADWyatt. 04/19/18 02:16 PM
Bosie 214VC manufacturer's video
by Sanfrancisco. 04/19/18 02:10 PM
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,143
Posts2,711,282
Members90,024
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission