Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (agraffe, anotherscott, Aaron W, asb37, 20 invisible), 1,101 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
30 minutes ago
The Roland FP-60 is basically the FP-30 with the 1/4 Line Outs and 3.5mm Aux Stereo In. It is around US$600+ more than the FP-30.
9 502 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by BDB
But the difference between the tone and response of a digital and an acoustic are much greater than the difference between an upright and a grand acoustic.

Yes, though some like the Yamaha N series have a better action than most uprights, and that's important. My point was that I don't think a good digital or an upright will impair anyone from learning, but that an acoustic grand will be better. I read Mark's post, and I have heard of others finding a special upright that spoke to them, but I never did. Sound wise, yes, but the action just never felt as good - how could it?
29 1,023 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by dhull100
This is a lot of advice for a situation where the two parties who actually can figure out what is going on are not communicating. Consider asking him about his concerns, and you can discuss yours. Navigating awkward moments in either personal or professional relationships can be liberating and even enriching (no matter the outcome).

You made my point better than I did!
26 490 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by BDB
Trademarks, copyrights, and patents apply to different concepts, and they confer different rights.

I totally agree. Maybe the current owner of Steinway since 2013, Mr. Paulson's hedge fund takes intellectual property more seriously than prior management.
87 2,969 Read More
1 hour ago
Hello from the threads these 3 boards seem to be the ones most in contention in the $600-$700 range. Note that a certain retailer often offers 15%-20% as well. I apologize as I have this written in a few other threads today but this morning traded my Px-130 and Korg Sp-280 + leftover balance for a Kawai ES110. I currently have a Kawai ES8 but need something to play out with that is light and had speakers built in as well as a line out.

Kudos to Roland for the FP-30- i liked the action but it was 31 pounds and had no line outs- i don't want to line out from the headphone jacks with a y adaptor as that is what I was doing with the Casio.

I had a P95 years ago and thought the P125 was a nice steady improvement- it sounds good but the key action GHS doesn't really excite me. However i felt as though it was a good board.

I then decided on the ES110- true the action is a little lighter but it had the footprint and combination I was looking for. I think all keyboards make some sort of thump noise- I don't find it severe or that noticable on my ES8.

I was recently on a cruise ship (vacation) and played a lot- they had P255's in a shell. I thought the action was great and saw that one can be had sometimes for $1,040 .
9 502 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
But the difference between the tone and response of a digital and an acoustic are much greater than the difference between an upright and a grand acoustic.
29 1,023 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Not apropos of anything.....well maybe it is. Or maybe all it means is that at age 15 I didn't know anything. Not that it's necessarily different now. grin

We always had a piano when I was growing up. It was an upright, not a real good one but OK (the brand was Starr). But after a while I guess it started breaking down -- keys started breaking.

I asked for a new piano, and for a while around that time we went through a hard financial time so it wasn't possible. But my folks promised that when possible, they'd get a new piano, and it would be a grand.

I loved the Sohmer brand because that was the piano in my school's auditorium and I thought it was wonderful. (I did have the chance to play on it many times.) So, when the time came, we went to the Sohmer factory, which wasn't far from where we lived, for the long-awaited happy moment to pick out a grand piano.

I tried several and liked them all pretty much. But then I saw an upright that was different from any I'd seen before -- a bit taller. I tried it, and it blew me away. At that time I didn't know about the theoretical and structural advantages and differences between grands and uprights, just that grands were "better," and of course that they looked a lot cooler. But the main thing I knew was just how I thought a piano felt and sounded.

I liked that upright even more than the grands. After many months of pining after a new piano and being so thrilled that it would even be a grand, I picked the upright.

I still remember the prices of those pianos. (These numbers might make you sick when you consider them in comparison to now.) ha
The grands were $1900. The upright was $800.
Besides having gotten a piano I loved, I felt very virtuous for having saved us $1100. grin
29 1,023 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
2 hours ago
This is a lot of advice for a situation where the two parties who actually can figure out what is going on are not communicating. Consider asking him about his concerns, and you can discuss yours. Navigating awkward moments in either personal or professional relationships can be liberating and even enriching (no matter the outcome).
26 490 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Vilhelm Moqvist
Unfortunately, since grand pianos are very expensive I only have an upright at home. My question is: Do you think practicing on uprights affect how pianists play? And in that case, in what way? And do you think it is important to have a grand piano?

I do think it's important to have a grand piano. You will develop better touch and tone. Of course there's the cost and space factor. I had an upright for almost 9 years before finally getting a grand. I simply didn't have space in a very small apartment for even a baby grand. Is it necessary? No. One can also learn on a good digital and pass ABRSM, etc., but at some point, you will notice that you will want the action and sound only an acoustic grand can produce.
29 1,023 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
Trademarks, copyrights, and patents apply to different concepts, and they confer different rights.
87 2,969 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
I should also add that the words are everything. These are pop tunes of the times. They carry a distinct message and there is an arc to the seven pieces. ‘el paño moruno’ refers to a bazaar merchant trying to sell a cloth that is stained. This is a warning to all females to be chaste. Obviously, this knowledge will affect your, and the singer’s, interpretation of the music.

I also transpose ‘nana’ down a major second to D major. (This is easily done at sight. No need to rewrite it.) The previous piece ‘jota’ is a bright E major piece about a flirtatious boy. ‘Nana’, in some editions, is also in E major. It is a lullaby. By transposing it to D major you create a calming influence for the mother rocking her baby and then end on the dominant for the next piece, which starts calmly and then leaves you in doubt as to what is happening to this man.
4 165 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
Leviton C hammer. I found it much easier to get the feel and movement of the pin without flag polling vs traditional hammer. From what I understand the cyber hammer also reduces flag polling as well as eliminates or reduces considerably pin twist.
7 182 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by keystring
I disagree with most of what is written below, and also find some of it potentially destructive.
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
If I were the teacher I would be very disappointed as well because when they started the lessons with this student they were under the impression they really wanted to learn, and then they didn't want to any longer ...

It is not true that the OP doesn't want to. There is a temporary situation at work and the willingness is there.
Some adult students must be very frustrating to teach because they may have too much going on in their lives to really put the required time in.

Have a look at how many teachers get KIDS who can't or won't put the time in. a) Can't, because their parents are overextending them with a gazillion activities. b) Won't, because it's their parents' idea and not what the child wants to do.
As soon as the op noticed their performance going down it hit the nail on the head. They weren't practicing like they used to.

No. Many adult students care too much, are ultra-sensitive to the vibe their teacher is putting out, want so much for the teacher to be pleased ...... and when there is a vibe of displeasure, it can completely throw you. Or even if you have guilted yourself, and the teacher is actually fine. I'm assuming that your a student - not sure - maybe you're immune to this and can't relate. But I can, esp. in my early years. This emotional side can really throw a student when they play (perform) in front of their teacher.

And even if practice does go down because of things at work being upside down. I bet if you asked the teacher, he is not disturbed by it, knowing what is going on. If youare practising as much as you can, and putting in any kind of an effort, that is what matters to most decent teachers. We do a number on ourselves by thinking we're not doing enough.
I think the student should leave and self study at their convenience. They shouldn't put this teacher though any more of their personal schedule drama.

And this is the destructive part. It is belittling and guilt-tripping to suggest that a situation created at work is a schedule "drama". The idea that the teacher has been "put through" something because his student needs to take time off due to a circumstance make him sound an unprofessional insecure novice. One of the most destructive things in a relationship between an adult student and teacher is the constant worry of insulting or bothering or not being good enough for one's teacher. You have just fueled that big time. This post really bothers me.

I'd say: talk frankly with your teacher. It may even be that he would like you to stay on ..... that he can accept you getting very little done during that time period, because he knows life is life. Let your teacher advise you on this.

Keystring makes a lot of sense! I agree with everything he said here.
26 490 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
The answer to that one is a debate without end. IMO, if you stick with "slightly" wide octaves (consistently) you will do well. Don't obsess over the minutia of octave width yet. That will come later when your abilities improve.

How would you rate your ability (honestly) to judge the relative speeds of the 3rds, or other RBI's?

On a scale of 1 - 5 about where would you put your ability at this time? (1 means you have difficulty, 5 means you are darn good).

Are you able at this point to tune a tempered 4th quickly at about 1 bps (roughly) or do you have to "work at it"?

Pwg
9 346 Read More
Yesterday at 11:50 PM

[/quote]

Hi TomLC,

my nv10 dealer said it can be ivorite like the Kawai cs11 key tops, and yeah I did see some posts online that people got the n2 for 8000$ and I wish I can too, but $10.8k was the lowest he could go he said.

[/quote]
Oh, that's news. I did own the CS11 for about 9 months and traded it in for the NV10. The difference I see is the textured finish on the CS11 black keys. Which I prefer to the smooth texture. It sounds like the dealer is saying you can buy the NV10 with the GX (BLAX) keyboard. It is called NEOTEX. That would be really nice and maybe worth the $500/$750 price difference.
1,350 122,034 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
What do you have now?

Pwg
7 182 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
I would think that your teacher would have made provisions for matters like these, especially with teaching adults. Frankly, you don't deserve the "guilt trip". I would suggest speaking with your teacher one last time and seeing if arrangements can't be made for situations such as this. I would think that your teacher would have thought of this and incorporated financial arrangements with his adult students to address issues such as this. If not, I say move on.
26 490 Read More
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Hi pianoghost,

Both the n2 and the nv10 will have a true letoff, and the feel of the letoff isn't a "feature," it's actually party of what makes the grand piano action on both of these instruments work! So it's a fact of life that it will be there. Whether you like the feel of the letoff is another thing, and I think it can be adjusted with regulation if you want to go that route. Fwiw I think the nv10 had a slightly stronger letoff feel than most grands i've tried. But it still disappears in normal playing.

I agree they n2 and nv10 are quite evenly matched, with the new having a few more bells and whistles (ivorite keys, TRS, more amplification) and the NV10 having the advantage in up to date sound engine, UI, longer key length and true damper mechanism.

If you're seeing the n2 for more than the nv10 though, that probably means you've found a good deal on the nv10 or are being quoted a high price on the n2--i see the Yamaha on perpetual sale for well under $9000 delivered (in the US).

Hi Gombessa thank you for your input,

my n2 dealer through email made it sound like the n2 did not have letoff, and my NV10 dealer claimed the n2 does not have it as well but I just have to go back and test that as well.(maybe the nv10 letoff is just stronger and more noticable as you mention)

I've read from pianoworld actually about the price paid for the n2 so that's why I don't feel too comfortable spending $10.8k(total) for it, and the NV10 being $10.5k(if I wanted the ivorite key tops)

Originally Posted by TomLC
Originally Posted by pianoghost
Originally Posted by Pete14
I didn’t know you could get a side of ’ivorite’ to go with the NV10. I was under the impression that the NV10 was sold as is and not ‘made to order’. I’m thinking of ordering one with a concert grand action! cool

Hi, Yes actually to clarify the part the dealer in my email explained that they have to order the ivorite version of the keys then have their service department to install it.

I'm afraid I don't understand this at all. The keys are part of the grand piano action of the NV10. The same action ( and keys ) you will find on a GL30 piano. Does Kawai have a artificial ivory keytop material?

"Overall the price is around the same and the n2 is 300$ more than the nv10 in the U.S."

In the US the NV2 is selling for around $8000 (as I understand), while the NV10 is around $10,000. If you like the N2, by all means get it It is a great piano. But you should be able to find it in NY for less.

Hi TomLC,

my nv10 dealer said it can be ivorite like the Kawai cs11 key tops, and yeah I did see some posts online that people got the n2 for 8000$ and I wish I can too, but $10.8k was the lowest he could go he said.

1,350 122,034 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Radio.Octave,

Although I agree with the above recommendations, you should also know that there is a device called the Touchrail which installs behind the fallboard and has an individual coil spring (adjustable) for each key. You can easily take 10 grams off the touch weight with this. It is much less expensive than re-weighting the keyboard, etc (though I agree with Ed that material should be removed from the hammers, and there usually is plenty of meat available on Kawai's to do this).

I have installed two of these Touchrails and the owners are VERY happy with them. The first one was essentially to decide whether it had merit or not. Needless to say, I was very impressed.

The primary purpose is to give an assist in overcoming the initial static friction and weight in the keystroke. It provides most of its "action" at the beginning of the keystroke and tapers off to nothing as you follow through. It is NOT a panacea to cure all ills in an action, and regulation and weight reduction are very important. However, if those things don't quite cut it for you, this could make all the difference.

Check it out.

Pwg
5 134 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
1. Song of the Gondolier - Joy of First Classics
2. Beauty and the Beast - Alfred Greatest Hits Bk. 1
3. Simple Gifts - arr. G. Benedetti
4. Circus March - Alfred Adult AIO Book 2
5. White Sails - Joy of First Year Piano - Denes Agay
6. Alexander March = Joy of First Year Piano - Denes Agay
7. Ladybug Boogie - Mier
8. Melody With Varied Accompaniments - Joy... Denes Agay
9. Snowboard Boogie - Mier
10. Chimichanga Cha Cha - Mier
11. Moody Twins - Joy of First Year Piano
12. Wooden Shoe Dance - Joy of First Year Piano
626 32,811 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by newer player
I think it is important to find a great dealer and also to build a great relationship with that dealer.

That makes the buying experience more enjoyable both for you and for the dealer. Also, I find that treating people with the highest level of respect pays natural dividends. Mediocre customers receive mediocre service. First-class customers receive first-class service.

A First-class customer is the the one that pays 25% more? Some dealer's will charge as much as they think you will pay. Not what is competitive or fair. They are in a business and without profits they won't be for long. So it makes sense to check on them. If they are really out of line, tell them so. They can counter offer or not. There should be no hard feelings on either side. It's business.
49 1,777 Read More
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
People post their purchase in the Prices Paid thread.
There are only three listings for CA67 pianos sold in the US ...

$3500 inc. tax Sep 2015 Sterling, VA
$2995 plus tax Mar 2016 Salem, NH
$2800 inc. tax Jun 2018 Stanton, CA

At this late date the CA67 is an older model, so it's appropriate that you paid less

Originally Posted by Ryan R.
USER LOCATION: Anaheim
MAKE: Kawai
MODEL: CA67
CONDITION: New
PRICE PAID: $2,800 out the door
DELIVERY CHARGE: NONE
VENDOR LOCATION: Stanton California
VENDOR NAME: Kim's Pianos
PURCHASE DATE: 6/22

Was this a fair, good, or did I get taken price?

1,339 3,079,755 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
So is the cyber hammer worth the extra money? Do you find your self having to finesse a bit more with the Fujan as opposed to the cybyerhammer?

I'm only tuning out of necessity and since I only have my piano to work with learning curve could take awhile.
7 182 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Good for you on holding your ground on payment terms. You're not like a utility company billing for the previous months' usage who will chase after deadbeats and ding their credit for delinquency.

Require repeat offenders of fingernails to trim them during their lesson! (keep alcohol on hand for sanitizing and keep the parents around if they are too young to do it themselves) Too-long nails are bad for posture and if it's not done correctly at the lesson, you can't expect it to be done correctly at home.
10 279 Read More
Pianist Corner
Yesterday at 10:45 PM
I have performed the Siete Canciones many times, most recently just last week. The pianist is imitating a guitar. Keep this always in mind.

‘Sordina sola’, in this case, means ’una corda only’ (not like in the Beethoven op. 27:2 where he uses ‘senza sordino’ to mean the ‘press the damper pedal!).

The una corda is used to change the tonal characteristics of the piano, much like a guitarist plays close to the bridge to create a nasal sound and far away from the bridge to create a more rounded, flutey sound. It does not necessarily make the piano softer - Horowitz once said he got his tone by putting his left foot on the una corda and then beating the sh*t out of the piano.

You can create a neat strumming effect in bars 15-18 by pressing the damper pedal part way down - just until the strings start to bleed a bit.

Remember to play the arpeggios in bars 24 and 26 Downward, not Upward. This is notated by a downward pointing V along with the arpeggio sign and is not always shown in some editions.

The canciones are fabulous colaborative works and well worth the effort to learn. You need a well regulated piano to play ‘polo’ at a reasonable speed.

Have fun!
4 165 Read More
Page 1 of 293 1 2 3 292 293
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX6 heavy action
by Radio.Octave. 06/23/18 03:50 PM
Accident-prone accidentals in printed music
by FrankCox. 06/23/18 02:01 PM
Reyburn Grand Cyberhammer
by Miguel Rey. 06/23/18 12:37 PM
Should I say goodbye?
by eyeluvlucy. 06/23/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,108
Posts2,726,943
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission