Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
108 registered members (anamnesis, ando, almo82, AaronSF, ajames, agent8698, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, 24 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Pianist Corner
1 minute ago
Originally Posted by BruceD
There is a very large selection of classical recordings in all genres from all eras, with new, modern recordings, well-known benchmark recordings and historical recordings.

I've been a subscriber to Spotify for 6 years, and for almost this entire time, I've also subscribed to NML, because for me, the selection of classical and opera on Spotify Premium has been too restrictive for my interests. I've been impressed as heck with IDAGIO and have listened to about 8 hours on it in the last 9 hours since I saw CyberGene's mention of it. I am pleased by the sheer breadth and variety. Not to sound like an ad, but they currently have a 14 days free trial as well as $2.97 for 3 months offer, which is what I signed up for. In any case, since you sound like an old hand at streaming music services, you might want to give this a spin too for the very attractive price of free for 14 days wink
17 262 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
4 minutes ago
I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to but I suppose I can. I have of course no interest in the place, just found it listed on the Henle site. Actually I first checked the PianoWorld site for a sponsor that sold books but couldn’t find one.

It’s Hutchins and Rea in Atlanta
4 23 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
5 minutes ago
Originally Posted by jandz
Liszt and his contemporaries rose to meet the needs and expectations of the audience they had which is not the audience of today. Comparing him to modern keyboard players cannot therefore be apples to apples. His playing might confuse or annoy the modern ear and his theatrics would make a far different impression today than they did in the 1840s.

But then remember that Franz Liszt wrote a reasonable portion of the music upon which modern virtuosos have built their careers. He was the first to perform it. He is among those who "never performed a work the same way twice". This innate creativity might make for an unfair comparison next to the wizards of today since his ability to improvise in music he knows so well (he wrote it after all) probably far exceeds theirs.

Almost certainly, his playing was much freer and less respectful of the composers' markings (when he played others' music) - and even notes - than we would tolerate today. Even in his day, Clara Schumann found his playing distasteful, and Chopin thought he was OTT. And contemporary reports indicate that wrong notes and memory lapses (don't forget he and Clara were among the first to perform from memory) don't bother him, because he could always improvise his way out of trouble and make it sound as though his wrong notes were the right ones.

These days, with the Urtext brigade having the upper hand (pun intended), it's difficult to imagine anyone like Francis ever making any headway.......except maybe as a Liberace incarnate wink .
24 415 Read More
Piano Forum
6 minutes ago
Yes, Precise, I had a fantastic experience with really competent and nice people. I bought the piano from the original owner's estate. She was a music teacher at Brooklyn College and her folks gave it to her perhaps as a birthday present in 1915. She had it throughout her life apparently and when I saw it it was the last item in a dingy, sheet music strewn upper east side apartment. I played it with cracked soundboard and yellowed keys and it sounded awful and great at the same time! I had my late tuner (Herbert Bach!) examine it and in his laconic yet somehow verbose way he gave me a thumbs up. Next thing I knew I was watching it being hoisted out if a fifth story window. It was a holiday weekend. The movers said they would have it at Camillari by the end of day. It never showed up! It was a long worrisome weekend but it arrived at this really old fashioned factory on a cold Monday ( I actually had worried the decrepit thing would freeze). Just one floor, no modern equipment, lots of Hispanic and black workmen and dozens of grand hulks to one side. Lloyd Meier, a well known piano conservationist owned it along with a former Steinway foreman. I had two choices to make. Refurbished Ivory keys, a grand more and finish. Plastic keys and black satin finish for me. So I had bought a case and harp for ten k and paid another ten for the rebuild in 1988 ( the year or the piano keys). Had I made a terrible mistake?

I was privileged to watch it every step of the way, from sad remnant to gorgeous rebirth 73 years later. I took my wife, I took my mom, I took my friends... Any excuse to go to the shop and smell the smells and see the sights and talk to the people about pianos. I found it hard to believe that meticulous work would come from men using such simple tools, but the new action ( on the old key bed) was stunning and smelled like sawdust. The Sitka soundboard gleamed and crowned. New pin block and shining pins. The copper strings like long fat worms appeared one day. The new finish was perfect. The red felt... The decal.... The new chair they altered to my taste. It was fantastic, really.

Then, one day it was ready and my mom and I waited for its delivery, waiting all day looking out the front window. My mom had taught me St. Louis Blues stride bass style when I was thirteen. She was a good player. Finally, around four in the afternoon it arrived and was set up in less than an hour. The vacuum that had been created by the sale of my old Sohmer grand was filled with the most gorgeous object. I marveled at how it could be so old and look so damn modern. What must it have looked like to that little girl in 1915? Awe inspiring to say the least!

I sat down and played it for my mom. She was thrilled. I called in the retired, Italian UPS worker next door. He approved. It was big! The sound was newborn ( and got better and better) it was gorgeous. I was in love. One of the best experiences of my life.
7 156 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
7 minutes ago

Any chance there is a similar manual for ES8 somewhere?
12 189 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
18 minutes ago
Originally Posted by cmb13
I found a place that has all Henle on sale for 20% off.

Happy Birthday! Share the wealth- was this a brick and mortar place, or online? And if online, share a link please. smile
4 23 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
21 minutes ago
Congrats on the purchase. .,, and Happy 🎂 Birthday
4 23 Read More
Piano Forum
22 minutes ago
So I've seen a real bargain - 2008 Schimmel K230 going for a song.
I'll have a tech check it out - although not sure what to expect. It's clearly been a 'hire' piano, for events and stuff. Probably more the rock and pop genre than classical.

I've tried some S&S ex-hire pianos before that were knackered. Others were still in pretty good shape.

How well would a Schimmel of this size (and quality) have held out after 10 years on the hire circuit? I don't know this model, so don't know how fundamentally sturdy they're likely to be.

Any thoughts? Speculative, of course... smile
0 11 Read More
Pianist Corner
23 minutes ago
What works well for me in Spotify (Premium):
- I can listen on my smartphone (with headphones)
- I can listen on my computer (with headphones)
- I can stream from my computer to my Sonos four-speaker system in my family room
- I can connect to my high-end stereo system and listen through it.

There is a very large selection of classical recordings in all genres from all eras, with new, modern recordings, well-known benchmark recordings and historical recordings.
Some titles have as many as a dozen recordings
Original multi-disc recordings play continuously without stopping between discs*
The sound quality (on Premium, $9.99 per month) is good, even on my high-end system
There is no advertising (on Premium).

* Example: over the past week or so, I've been listening to Haydn string quartets on period instruments, Festetics Quartet, a 19-CD set with 230 tracks which plays continuously without my having to change discs. That is: the recordings pick up where I left off last time I listened.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it sure works for me. As someone else just posted, my CD's are gathering dust because the choice on Spotify gives me the opportunity to explore other interpretations which I don't own in CD format. That's probably true of iTunes and other streaming services as well.

Regards,
17 262 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
29 minutes ago
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
... but today "every" teenager can play it. ...

Do they play it, or do they indulge in a meaningless pyrotechnic race?

Here is one such performance on Youtube, but only for R2's 1st movement:
24 415 Read More
Piano Forum
30 minutes ago
Not sure I understand your last diagram. What period does it cover?
4 107 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
31 minutes ago
Such quality produced books.
4 23 Read More
Piano Forum
32 minutes ago
What did you like about the action? I ask because I've heard great things about this model - however heard that the action can be rather shallow and 'loose'.
3 118 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
32 minutes ago
Im' very excited - I just decided to overhaul my collection of sheet music. I ordered a whole bunch of Henle editions as a birthday present to myself wink. This should last me for the next several years, if not for the rest of my life! I found a place that has all Henle on sale for 20% off. Here's what I got.......

1072 Satie, Gymnopedies
1205 Satie, Nocturnes
0185 Chopin, Nocturnes
0882 Chopin, Preludes
0465 Liszt, Consolations
0327 Mendelssohn, Songs w/o Words
0014 Bach, WTC, Bk. 1
1815 Debussy, At the Piano

If I ever get through these, I'll be able to play piano! (Maybe)
4 23 Read More
Piano Forum
35 minutes ago
I posted a fairly similar question re one of their 1985 concert grands http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...tonia-274cm-1985-advice.html#Post2769562

Reading through, you'll see opinions that say they are now pretty much worth nothing - unless you find a rare gem you're in love with.

From research, it seems that up until 1990 they were pure Soviet - strong, possibly well built. But after 1990, as JohnSprung and others have said, the company changed hands and produced pianos of varying quality. In fact, I've heard that they were pretty terrible until the Laul takeover.

Originally Posted by Millyz
I am now looking at this Estonia ... it’s 176cm so I think it’s a 168 Estonia rather than a 190 model
They only made two models - the 190 and the 274. Unless I'm wrong... smile

I did try the 1985 concert grand recently - yet to update my earlier post on how that went! It was in original condition, totally worn out, brassy and knackered. Poor thing. But it was probably a great instrument in its day. I just didn't want to buy it and have it restored - no idea how it may have turned out. And there are so few that we have no points of reference.

As to the new, Laul Estonias. I know they have many fans here. I'm not one of them, alas. I find them inconsistent, and tonally bland and weak. I don't think Laul has quite 'cracked' it yet, IMO...
8 400 Read More
46 minutes ago
Originally Posted by TomLC
...If the damper pedal doesn't activate the damper sensor - how does it know? It seems to work? confused (No. 4 went completely over my head.).

That is the problem. The damper sensor is on the pedal, as in any other DP. There are no sensors on the damper mechanism itself. One of the results is that the actual physical position of the dampers may not correlate to the level of damping being applied by the sound engine, as already reported on this thread. So, what you feel may not relate to what you hear. Since Kawai decided to include a real damping mechanism they should have done it properly and use sensors to detect the actual position of the damper rail. The current solution is not exploiting the damper mechanism.

Regarding no. 4, the NV10 does not measure note-off velocities since it has no sensors for that. Therefore the release samples cannot depend on how fast a key is released/returns to the resting position. The CA78 and 98 (and probably other Kawai models) do measure note-off velocity which is used in pianist mode” to control the release samples. Some vsts like pianoteq also use it.
1,897 186,887 Read More
46 minutes ago
However those don't have the TA installed.
1,897 186,887 Read More
Pianist Corner
48 minutes ago
Expect mistakes! The biggest thing that will stop you is the thought that you MUST play perfectly; once you accept the fact that you will make mistakes in front of others, and expect these mistakes when practicing, you'll be able to move on from these mistakes more quickly.

Also, practice in front of smaller audiences and build up!
13 321 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
49 minutes ago
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
... but today "every" teenager can play it. ...

Do they play it, or do they indulge in a meaningless pyrotechnic race?
24 415 Read More
Pianist Corner
51 minutes ago
Google Calendars has a public feature: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37083?hl=en
This can be used to share any details noteworthy events on the calendar.
20 420 Read More
Pianist Corner
51 minutes ago
Well, There is the 1987 official recording, but as I understand there is no recording of his appearance from the 1986 recital, his return to the Concertgebouw after 50 years of absence.

Except: There is a recording.

Please enjoy the excerpts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sSylto5caW1Do8y39jYCUWu8_GIv4hGK (Schubert/Liszt - Soirées de Vienne No. 6)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EnGLvYf6N5i_6tiUXeo0yutNPfSSVzc9 (Moszkowski - Etincelles)

Yes, I was there.
0 13 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
56 minutes ago
SC,

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that from this family. What they've said to you is horrible and baseless.

My $.02: Give the student a parting gift at his last lesson this month, warmly wish him well, then turn to the mother (if she is there) and simply say (or write later if neither parent is there) that she and her husband stepped over a line when they made those snide remarks about your childlessness and called into question your teaching ability because of it. Tell them firmly, "You may not speak to me that way. It is time for you to find another teacher for your son."

Then, if one or both parents are there at that last lesson, just say goodbye, then sit down at your piano and let them usher themselves out as you play music--another parting gift, and also the way you can avoid getting into another conversation about the matter.

The gift you give to the student will show that you care, but the greatest gift you may be giving him is a picture of how to stand up to abuse. It may very well be a tool he's going to need someday.

I wish you well. What an awful situation.
37 1,267 Read More
Piano Forum
57 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
One thing about the two is that they sounded awful. I found two reasons why. They didn't use a cold press hammer like Steinway does. And the soundboard engineering was not a typical Steinway style. I looked through the nose bolt holes and the panels were very thick. When I install a soundboard, it takes a lot of time and craftsmanship to get a soundoard to sing to it's full voice. So the combination of wrong hammer, thick and overbuilt soundboard is the reason that piano sounded not like a Steinway.
Chris, thanks! Not being a tech, I had no way of pinpointing why they seemed not quite right. What you wrote makes absolute sense - especially re soundboards. I have a feeling they use a 'one size fits all', treating each model of piano in the same way. I'm sure if you spent hours scrutinising one of these rebuilds you'd find loads more 'anomalies'.

JohnSprung - I was surprised at how 'good' (ish) one of them sounded after a massive amount of prep by a technician.

Originally Posted by oldMH
Why would you wonder if they are flawed any more or less than any other rebuilt Steinway? They are all flawed in that they are not factory new. If you don't like flaws, buy new.
Some people like older Steinways more than new ones - and, indeed, a superbly restored one can be magnificent, IMO.

IosPlayer, sounds like you had great people restoring it smile
7 156 Read More
1 hour ago
Well yes. I can only rarely play through speakers. Soundboard or otherwise. So I would still need to play the acoustic with headphones most of the time. However, those times I could would be nice. At the stores in Orange County I have played on several grands. It is amazing how many I didn't like. But the ones I did like deliver an experience even the NV10 can't. It just seems to me that a N3x or a Novus baby grand wouldn't either. By the way, I see the GC1 offered at $12 to $15K used.
1,897 186,887 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by gooddog
[...]
How about these:
Murray Perahia - Mendelssohn Sonata for Piano Op 6, Prelude & Fugue Op 35, no 1, Variations Serieuses, Opu 54 and Rondo Capriccioso Op 14. CBS records. MK 37838
Dvorak Symphony No 7, Sir Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra, LSO Live 2001. LSO0014
Respighi - Ancient Airs and Dances, Jesus Lopez-Cobos, Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne, Telarc CD 80309
Bach Piano Concerti - Perahia

Both the Bach and the Dvorak (in these specific recordings) are available on Spotify. There are other recordings of the Mendelssohn Piano Sonatas and several of the Respighi on Spotify; modern and historic.

Regards,
17 262 Read More
Page 1 of 307 1 2 3 306 307
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel K230 (2008) opinions?
by precise. 10/23/18 06:00 PM
Henle Urtext
by cmb13. 10/23/18 05:50 PM
Headphones - Amp - Focals - Grados
by Bruce In Philly. 10/23/18 02:42 PM
Mass-Produced Steinway Rebuilds - opinions pls
by precise. 10/23/18 02:17 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,958
Posts2,755,065
Members91,318
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission