Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (cmoody31, 7uturu, BigIslandGuy, AprilE, Animisha, akc42, ando, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 927 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
FAQ - Piano Forum
49 seconds ago
Hi All,

I would need your advice on the following points. I'd like to buy a piano for my spouse, most oriented toward jazz than classical music. She quite likes the Bosendorfer sound, which triggered my search for such an instrument. At this moment, I managed to find (for about the same price) either an upright Bosendorfer 130 new or a used Bosendorfer 200, 1997 in excellent condition [40k eur].

1. What would you recommend between the two ? Does this upright really sound "like a grand" ?
2. I never came across a Steingraeber and sohne, but read very good reviews on it. Is it comparable to the Bosendorfer ?

ps: in all consideration 40k eur is the max budget we can afford.

Thank you,
0 1 Read More
Piano Forum
11 minutes ago
Hi there. Your first step is to engage the services of an RPT (Registered Piano Technician), who can give you an accurate appraisal of its condition. Depending on how well it has been maintained, it might only need a little work or it might be so decrepit that it's not worth the expense. If you post a picture, some of the experts here might be able to tell you a little more.
1 39 Read More
Pianist Corner
14 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Nantes

Your native language tends to seem like the simplest and easiest in the world, because you have no problems with it and it's often the only one you know smile It's only when you're exposed to a language constructed from the ground up to be much simpler (e.g. Esperanto) that you realize how unnecessarily complex your language really is.

I disagree that traditional notation is inferior.

All natural languages are easy as native languages BTW. They couldn't exist otherwise.

Reading is an acquired skill, in language or music. Traditional notation is a very simple and efficient way to represent tonal music, and doesn't have to deal with "senseless" difficulties associated with written language, such as English spelling peculiarities. OTOH there's nothing in traditional notation that is unreasonable or superfluous. You might not like it, but for me it's much more efficient to read that klavar. It tells me a great deal about the music before I even begin to play it.
23 698 Read More
Pianist Corner
26 minutes ago
Hi BruceD!

Thank you for your reply! Your replies have been very insightful in the past and I appreciate the time. To answer your question, there are many people on the forums here that are very knowledgable in these aspects and I have seen you in quite a few of the ranking threads helping. Due to this, those ranking/difficulty lists have proven to be extremely helpful to me and several friends that have had difficulty in choosing repertoire. I thought it would be a fantastic idea to do on my own and it turned out to be far more challenging than I had originally thought, so I was wondering if someone already had one. Hopefully, that wasn't all redundant!

Thank you again!
2 32 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
30 minutes ago
Good luck with the piano Jusca!
9,895 34,347,300 Read More
Pianist Corner
32 minutes ago
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I remember being quite surprised at how gentle Prokofiev appeared to be when I first saw him on film. Somehow I expected his manner to resemble that of a hissing, seething skull. grin

All the hissing and seething is expressed in his music! So he has no need to express it in his other behaviour as well. smile
2 40 Read More
Pianist Corner
37 minutes ago
One question: Why?
2 32 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
1 hour ago
Thank you for all the input thus far. I was able to play a Yamaha P 515 today and my first impressions were mostly good.

The P 515 I played was on the wall, so it was slanted slightly downwards so I couldn't have my hands parallel to the ground. Thus, my first impressions may be skewed a little bit because of this since the weight of my hands weren't going straight down. The piano was still playable, although it wasn't exactly comfortable. The key action and feel had a noticeable difference to the cheaper models. I agree there's an initial weight/resistance when pressing the key which is only slightly a concern to me. Grand piano action does not have this initial resistance. However, after this initial point, I do think the action is medium overall. Also, I feel it's something that I can get used to. When playing fast scales with more white keys, I did notice the keys were a bit sluggish compared to the grand. It was likely a mix of the key not going up fast enough and passing the initial resistance point. I think my expectations may be too high. I do not think this is a deal breaker for me as it still felt great to play on overall.

I will also say that this action is far superior from any cheaper Yamaha piano. The wood gives it a lighter feel, and any plastic key felt like a toy. I also like the synthetic black keys as it prevented my fingers from feeling "sticky". I felt I had better control on these keys.

The CFX sound and Bosendorfer are really great. I played a little bit with the Piano Room which allowed me to change the "sensitivity" of the keys. I think the Soft 1 option really hit the spot.

I could not tell if the keys were graded, as in heavier on the left and and lighter to the right. Perhaps this means they aren't graded. Maybe someone could give me input on this.

Overall, I would purchase this if I didn't find the Kawai ES8 to my liking. This keyboard will simply be for lesson planning, the light practice at night, and possibly online lessons. Most of my practice and lessons are on the grand piano I have. Thanks to Kawai James, he suggested that I play Kawai pianos that have the RHIII action, so I may do this tomorrow and decide then.

19 690 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
I remember being quite surprised at how gentle Prokofiev appeared to be when I first saw him on film. Somehow I expected his manner to resemble that of a hissing, seething skull. grin
2 40 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
maybe you could bring a mobile recording rig and actually record the pianos in question. This might make the choice more clear.
27 672 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
That depends on the condition of the older higher quality piano. At 50-60 years old many or even most pianos will require a lot of costly work to put them in playable or excellent condition. This could add tens of thousands of dollars extra to the "cost" of the piano. If a full rebuild is needed it could cost even 40K so everything depends on the condition of the older piano.
1 39 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Hey there folks!

I KNOW, ANOTHER DAMN DIFFICULTY RANKING REQUEST!!! xD Was wondering if anyone had ALL of Rachmaninoff's keyboard works ranked. I've been trying to source one together but surprisingly it's been quite difficult. Anyone got any lists?

Thank you all in advance,
JDRPiano
2 32 Read More
1 hour ago
Nice playing, bet that would sound good on pretty much any VST. :P
1 109 Read More
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Granyala
My gaming rig runs whenever I am awake anyway, which is probably why the startup time (and the fact that the program does not recognize the VPC if it is turned on after starting the program) bothers me so much.

Pianoteq is just instantly ready for action. laugh

Funny you should mention that. I always leave my DP (FP30) on with my "piano PC" so that's "almost" never an issue. However, when Window10 forces an update "down my throat", and my piano PC reboots by itself, for some reason I don't quite understand, my FP30 powers off.

I forgot to mention that I was talking about Garritan. laugh
Pianoteq is set to omni, so it doesn't care when I activate the VPC.

Dumb question: why does your piano PC get constant internet access? There doesn't seem to be a need for it if it only runs VSTi.
Also, if it runs Win10 pro, you can disable the updates via group policy editor.
401 12,515 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Handyman
My piece this month will illuminate (if not celebrate) the deepest, darkest aspects of sexual dominance and unbridled compulsion...and will not be a figment or phantom of the imagination...

But will it be nuanced? Authentic? Gritty?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are into jazz now.

Ed
25 770 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
Someone told me that it’s better to get a used super good piano (like Steinways for example) even though it’s 50-60 years old than a new out of the box Kawaii or YAMAHA.
Is this opinion correct?
And anybody owns a Kawaii GL40 here in this forum? I need a little bit review on this piano.
Thank you 🙏
1 39 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
I have been asked, by PM, to explain my reference to Chesterfield.

Chesterfield is a small town in Derbyshire, England. It is famous for the spire on the church there:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/chesterfields-crooked-spire

Apparently some confusion has arisen as there is a "stencil" town called Chesterfield in one of our colonies. I was referring to the original, not the ersatz.
50 1,557 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
I'm working on all the Chopin waltzes and nocturnes.

I think most of the waltzes have too many repeats or not enough variation among sections thus I "cut the fat off" lol

measures 90 to 97 I used as the introduction (trumpets sounding arrival)
2 to 7 (main theme)
7 and 26 (interesting connection between these 2 measures since it abruptly cuts off the main theme)
26 to 33 (2nd section)
42 to 45 (3rd section)
66 to 73 (4th section)
98 to 105 (main theme conclusion)

The patterns are similar to a Shakespearean sonnet.
4 123 Read More
2 hours ago
ah very good.
thank you very much. smile
65 3,499 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
Of course an opinion means nothing when it comes to surveys, but I'm guessing that the recording quality will overshadow any difference in performance characteristics that have changed over the years. Also, individual pianistic style will predominate an era that only includes audio-recorded history. If you could hear a performance of Bach, say, from 1700 then I'm sure pianistic style could be better correlated to era.
1 75 Read More
3 hours ago
I can't think of a business reason to release a new VPC.
The current model sells. It has no competition.
Why would Kawai go to the trouble of building a new one?
295 71,471 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
3 hours ago
I officially started learning piano last week. I found a chord method book I liked that encouraged writing music as you go along in the method. My biggest accomplishment is starting and having fun with the book's exercises. The next was having fun figuring out songs by ear. It is so much easier on piano than guitar (my main instrument).

I am not entirely new to piano. I am familiar with the key names and could play a few block chords in my left hand. However my right hand never felt comfortable with arpeggios and chords. This past week has made the right hand a bit more flexible and independent. My hands used to mirror each other doing whatever the other was doing. I thought I had no hope on piano but this past week of practice has shown me I can do it. My right hand is coming along and getting comfortable with playing. smile
9,895 34,347,300 Read More
Piano Forum
3 hours ago
New to piano forums! I have recently obtained a 1931 Story and Clark player piano, which I would love to restore. Problem is...I have no idea where to start or where to obtain information on this model. Is it worth restoring?
1 39 Read More
Pianist Corner
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by MikeN
Originally Posted by anamnesis

The reason people "tire" out is that they are stuck in certain neuromuscular, movement patterns that they can't get out of and end up fighting with compensatory movements. These patterns also happen to desensitize you to even "noticing" all those subtle torso adjustments and their necessity by using a strategy of over-stabilization in a single sagittal plane at the cost of movement in frontal and transverse planes.

On boy do those movements take a lot of time and dedication to untrain. I've spent the last 2-3 years working on the near constant tendency of my left hand toward ulner deviation. Finally, I think I have it pretty much licked. It took a lot of effort though. Unfortunately, more than most pianist I've met seem to be willing to invest if they even happen to be sensitive to the issue.

The reasons why this process can be difficult is highlighted by this quote from by Shirley Saharmann:

"Faulty training only accentuates the muscular and neurological contributions to habitual imbalance. Most often the faulty movement patterns are an exaggeration in one direction of a limitation in another direction."

The underlying implication here is that you have to get people back into a more "limited" state first before they can retrain the proper coordination. This has its own set of difficulties. But of course it's all going to be for naught if you don't find the correct coordination because you'll just end up going back to the faulty movement. I'd also like to emphasize the word "direction" in the above quote.

Translating this into more piano friendly terms, people will first need to identify (easier said than done) and give up all the mechanisms and strategies they are using for "accuracy" or even "expression" before they can even begin to replace it. Most pianists will refuse to do this because removing all traces of compensation requires returning to a state where they'll question how one can possibly even play at all with any semblance of control. One's skill at doing this entire process correlates with how well one can essentially re-write muscle memory. Again, a respect for "direction" is critical to doing this. More time spent on that word (as well as related words such as "orientation" and "timing") and less on body parts would probably do the piano community a world of good.
42 1,135 Read More
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by oivavoi
But seriously though. When is the VPC-2 coming? It's been six years! And all of the other digital Kawai pianos have been upgraded with new models already! Killing me, Kawai. Killing me.

It's not a digital piano. Which could be the reason they're not upgrading it. Do you think?
295 71,471 Read More
Page 1 of 426 1 2 3 425 426
Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
All of Rachmaninoff's Keyboard Works Ranked
by JDRPiano. 04/24/19 12:23 AM
New piano v. Used piano
by ConfusedinWalnut. 04/24/19 12:04 AM
1931 Story & Clark Player - no idea where to start
by loukywells. 04/23/19 10:29 PM
Prokofiev documentary
by pianoloverus. 04/23/19 10:18 PM
My favorite piano: Ravenscroft 275
by RobR. 04/23/19 08:15 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,631
Posts2,821,182
Members93,131
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission