2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration JB_PW 04/14/24 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by PallasAtNoon
I would love to see more inspiration, from anyone who wants to post a link.

A few of my favorites. I have worked on these, but I'm not at a level where I can do really well yet. I will return to them when I have progressed further...

22 677 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Pianist Injuries Joseph Fleetwood 04/14/24 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Paderewsky damaged a hand on tour in the US. He never recovered and for the rest of his life had to do workarounds.

And he was Liszt's student wasn't he?

That's the thing, we aren't saying Liszt isn't great if we say he wasn't focused on technique, or his students got injured, we're just acknowledging he was a product of his time.
No. He was a student of Leschetizky but Leschetizky couldn't change his technique.

Leschetizky wasn't concerned with injuries either. I'm not even sure if he realized such things either existed, or if he did realize that, that they could be avoided. Schnabel was also his student and he was often injured. I've just repeated myself on this thread.
37 1,572 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: VSL CFX on M1 MacMini with 8gb iternabe 04/14/24 07:57 PM
The issue would not be processor usage, but memory usage. I imagine if you run the VST alone, 8GB RAM should be enough. Problem could arise when you run the VST alongside some other applications at the same time - if the combined RAM usage (including whatever the operating system uses) exceeds 8GB, then some of those memory pages would have to be swapped to the SSD drive which would be slower and may cause hiccup.
16 614 Read More
Re: Adverts Doug M. 04/14/24 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by mwf
Because I shouldn’t have to use a different browser and I look at everything in google chrome on iPhone, why on earth would I use a whole new browser to go on this forum only…. Which I hate anyway now.

Good bye

Well, one reason to stick around is that we will miss you... 🙂

Also, change can be a bit annoying, but often good things come from it as well as some annoying things. No reason not to try new forums though, but you can always come visit here.

Like right now, I'm using Firefox for the first time since Google became popular, and so far, it's been very good. I like watching science content on YouTube and adverts have now stopped. It's very much better using this new browser.
19 1,272 Read More
Re: Is the Casio GP-510 actually good? schwantes 04/14/24 07:21 PM
Just to add more experiences, I liked this comparison between the casio gp-310, the kawai nv5s and the Silent yamaha B2. It's in Italian, but you can put an automatic translation of the subtitles on YouTube if you want to understand the evaluation, or just listen. In short, as many have said, Casio is a winner in terms of value for money. The lowest score was in the mechanical realism of the keys, due to the fact that they have similar weight between the low and high notes, with a score of 8/10, but 9.5/10 in the response and mechanical precision of the keys. There is a table at the end of the video with the scores.

35 3,779 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration JB_PW 04/14/24 07:19 PM
Here is another bucket list piece I desperately want to learn one day. I would love to see more inspiration, from anyone who wants to post a link.

Yes!! This one was on my list since I was in high school. I was finally able to learn it last year (to the best of my intermediate capabilities).

This was my favorite performance:

22 677 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Adam Schaaf Model 1906 Cabinet Grand 54" upright abcowboyqh 04/14/24 07:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I am just starting research on this piano, which belonged to my US grandparents and is now in the home of a first cousin in Vegreville, Alberta, Canada, 50 miles east of my home in Edmonton. I don't yet have a serial number or solid professional photos, and its condition is possibly not the most functional. My main interest is in its provenance.

It travelled in a boxcar from New Richmond, Wisconsin, about 25 miles east of Minneapolis, to Vegreville in 1913 when my grandparents emigrated to a new farm life in Canada. It was loved and played in the old farmhouse and eventually made its way to my cousin. My search here is just to get any general or specific personal information anyone has about this make; Adam Schaaf was evidently a well-made piano from Chicago with high quality and reputation. The company was in business from 1873 until the Great Depression forced its demise, like so many others.

All information welcome!

Many thanks,

Richard
3 261 Read More
Re: C. Bechstein Concert 8 P W Grey 04/14/24 07:16 PM
At the PTG National in Arlington last summer I talked to the Bechstein folks. I pointed to the Concert 8 they had on display and said:

"That piano, with THAT action in it (pointing across the isle to the Esmonde/White/Fandrich action exhibit) would be THE BEST upright piano on the planet!"

That got them interested and they went and checked it out. They were suitably impressed. Of course incorporating new things into well established product lines is rarely easy, and requires foresight and a bit of risk. My understanding is that B. is a bit risk-averse.

At any rate it's a seriously good instrument.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
27 1,164 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration JB_PW 04/14/24 07:13 PM
Ooo! I only have one of his books, the Ghibli Best Stories book. Will you please tell me which other ones you have? If I could only learn one composer's works, it would be his.

That was my first one and it’s definitely my favorite. I wish all of my piano books had that thick creamy paper…

These are the others I have:

Piano Collection 1 (Amazon)

Encore (Amazon)

Piano Stories 1 (Amazon)

There’s some overlap between the books…some pieces appear multiple times. But there’s at least 2-3 pieces in every book that I really love so I don’t regret buying any of them.

There is a book 2 for both Piano Stories and Piano Collection - I don’t have either of those yet.

I also bought this one:

Chopin de Ghibli (Sheet Music Plus)

It’s described as “Studio Ghibli songs arranged in Chopin style,” which intrigued me because I love Chopin too. In reality they are more like an odd mish-mash of a popular Chopin piece and a Ghibli piece. There are a few I like, but overall I would not recommend this book.

Some bonus YouTube links. smile

This is Ghibli music in bossa nova style:

Ghibli Bossa Nova

And this playlist is a mix of Ghibli and others - it’s all wonderful:

Dream Songs

I listen to these regularly.
22 677 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: 2 piano teachers for my kis keystring 04/14/24 07:12 PM
P*D, what was your son's average daily practice time with the one teacher, and then the two? Also age, if you don't mind.
19 996 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: Red Garland When Lights Are Low Transcription Quatrelle 04/14/24 07:10 PM
Brilliant work!

It's such a great album too.
5 330 Read More
Re: Tuning quality measured with an app?? P W Grey 04/14/24 07:03 PM
The function of the pianosense device is simply to bypass the microphone and acquire the "cleanest" distortion free signal as currently possible. If one is perfectly happy with the mic performance (or whatever setup they have) there is no need to invest in a high end sensor. It's really intended for pros rather than DIY.

At least that's my personal view of it.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
26 1,558 Read More
Re: C. Bechstein Concert 8 Quatrelle 04/14/24 06:59 PM
Not everyone has space for a grand, so that could be one reason why someone might want to spend a lot on a very good upright.

The bass on the Concert 8 in that video is incredible: to me it sounds as good as many grand pianos.
27 1,164 Read More
MY NEW PIANO or KEYBOARD! - Share Your Story! Jump to new posts
Estey upright grand Prestodigitizer 04/14/24 06:57 PM
I've been hauling this little gem around for more than half my adult life. It is still in sad shape internally although its exterior is quite nice. My mother refinished it for me around 2001 and my father is an expert piano tuner, so he will supply me through fixing its innards back up now that I finally have the time to dig into it.

By the serial number, 29945, it is from 1901-ish.
I did find it free on a curb covered in candle wax and stored it poorly for a few weeks when I first had it.

My grandmother was a piano teacher and told me this is an upright grand and could sound better than anything I've ever played on if it were fixed.
My father attempted to tune the working keys and could not bring it up to the appropriate frequency, I think is how he put it. He says it could still be put in tune with itself, but middle C won't exactly play C...

I was reading that its finish is probably extremely rare, and that's mostly why I shared, it may be appreciated here.

https://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbth...ork-upright-grand-29954.html#Post3505279
0 47 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: 1885 Knabe Action Design/Project P W Grey 04/14/24 06:55 PM
Mmoe,

Please bear in mind that the makers of this and all other pianos never in their wildest dreams intended or expected anyone to be attempting to restore it 140 years later. The "design lifespan" is roughly 30-40 years (or one typical generation). By then some serious stuff is happening. Downhill from there.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
51 2,513 Read More
Re: Buying a new piano. Kawai K 300 vs K 500, & ATX4 vs Aures 2 Quatrelle 04/14/24 06:54 PM
I can't answer your question about ATX and Aures, but I was playing both a K200 and K300 last week and I wouldn't say there is any noticeable difference in loudness between them.
47 8,210 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration Josephine83 04/14/24 06:51 PM
Beautiful pieces in this thread!

I hope I can learn this piece one day

22 677 Read More
Re: The new 'ads' situation wr 04/14/24 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bart K
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm just surprised that so many people have been surfing the interwebs without ad blockers or tracking blockers. I never even noticed the change here, since I never see ads...

Sam

Same here.

But on the other hand, after many years, YouTube has finally figured out how to detect ad blockers and it will simply stop you from seeing the content unless you turn them off. The alternative is to pay a monthly subscription. Something like that could happen here, I am guessing.

Funny thing about YouTube, though, is that some of my favorite classical music channels don't even have ads. There must be some special arrangement about that, but I don't know any details about it.

The odd thing is that I never see ads on youtube, and I am there everyday. Is it the Brave browser? I do have a youtube account and upload my own videos for the ABF recitals and other things, but I don't pay them anything...
The thing with ad blockers is that it's like a whack-a-mole game. If YouTube detects specific ad blockers then people will switch to different ones that they don't detect. There is no such thing as "blocking all ad blockers". They have to write code for specific browsers/extensions. If you're using a more obscure browser they may never bother. Though, I'm using Firefox and ublock origin, which isn't all that obscure and I never see ads on YT.

Thanks for the tips on browsers and blockers, Sam and Bart.

I'd gone for many years without ever seeing ads on YouTube, using Firefox with AdBlock Plus. Then, a few months ago, I started seeing them. Googling about it brought up some articles and posts that said YouTube had figured out a new way of detection that was basically beyond the reach of all ad blockers. I sort of gave up at that point.

In a way, I feel a little guilty about wanting to watch videos for free and with no ads. But then, the YouTube business model keeps that guilty feeling at a minimum.
32 1,740 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration SophiaB 04/14/24 06:47 PM
I really enjoyed watching that video, Sophia.

I'm glad you liked it. I realize I once again somewhat hijacked a thread because you asked for inspirational pieces, not people laugh But I think that gal is incredible!
22 677 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Hammer wear (abuse, age, overworking)? navindra 04/14/24 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by An Old Square
The other has the original 25 year old hammers. The the tech has lightly shaped and fine voiced the hammers once a year for 25 years, and just did again today.

Do you really need to voice hammers that often? How do you know when you should voice them?
23 1,209 Read More
Re: Pictures at an Exhibition pianoloverus 04/14/24 06:44 PM
Amazing! My reaction before listening was this would sound terrible, but it was just the opposite.
5 376 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration PallasAtNoon 04/14/24 06:39 PM
Here is another bucket list piece I desperately want to learn one day. I would love to see more inspiration, from anyone who wants to post a link. When I'm not playing, I'm dreaming about playing.
22 677 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration PallasAtNoon 04/14/24 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by JB_PW
I've only just started playing piano. I'm 2/3 through Alfred's All-In-One Level 1. To keep my motivation up while I learn pieces that aren't my favorite, I dream every day of the kind of music I would most like to play one day. I'm going to share one of mine. Will you share one of yours?

We're on the same wavelength. smile I LOVE Joe Hisaishi. I think I have 5 of his piano books now and more on my wishlist.

Ooo! I only have one of his books, the Ghibli Best Stories book. Will you please tell me which other ones you have? If I could only learn one composer's works, it would be his.
22 677 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration PallasAtNoon 04/14/24 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Serge88
One of my friends, she used to play that for me before I had a piano. I really love that song. When I got a piano that was the first song I wanted to learn. After a few years, I was good enough to learn that song but I discovered a lot of beautiful piano pieces and I never learned that song. frown

I enjoyed watching this video, Serge, thank you for sharing it.
22 677 Read More
Re: Dream Pieces for Inspiration PallasAtNoon 04/14/24 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by SophiaB
Music in almost all its forms is inspirational to me. I love how it transcends time (the legacies of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart or Joplin are still alive thanks to their music), borders, skin colour, gender, or any of those other silly artificial obstacles people have created for themselves.

But what I find most inspirational about the piano that it's ageless...

I really enjoyed watching that video, Sophia.
22 677 Read More
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission