2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 47 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
That's beautiful David!

Wonderful playing from you both.

I'm curious, how was this recorded/performed?
Did you both play live simultaneously, or were the parts recorded separately?

Kind regards,
James
x
Hi James!
Well, the recording process is a bit complicated. First, I sent Charles a piano track, then he used an audio software to fashion the basic tempo, or "spirit" of the track out and played his violin to it. Then I got his track and played my piano and filmed my performance, and all my live interactions will be with his recording. When he got the video, he recorded his violin part to my piano, and so we "played" with each other for 2 rounds to get a great result that we were both happy with. It did take some back and forth, but the end result was -- he knew my style, and I knew his. So the collaboration was fun and enjoyable. Hope this answered your question! smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
What I find to the be greatest deficiency of the VPC1 is the lack of tactile feedback during the keystroke. I do not feel the same control over dynamics that is felt on an acoustic piano. But, you seem to have that so well under control. It is really encouraging to see and hear that such fine dynamic control is attainable with this keyboard.

Yes, Ralph. To me the controlling of this keyboard was so much better, more smooth and streamlined than the SL-88Grand, and I have more space on the black keys which was good. Coupled with the American Concert D, it was piano joy for me! smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello David,

Thank you for your explanation!

The resulting performance is very natural - it definitely "feels" like you are playing together.

Great job!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Wow, thanks for the question, James, and the answer, David, on the recording process. It is very eye-opening and makes a ton of sense, although not entirely obvious at first!

David, may I ask how you are hearing your performance since you are not wearing headphones? I assume you are using speakers of some kind, but they are just not shown in the video?

Also, what is the device on your piano? Is it an audio interface?

Well done and bravo!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Since I have my VPC1, switching to play my Yamaha U3 has been a breeze. Previously it was not like that and I ended playing the U3 too hard until readapted to it.

Exactly the same here.

I do think the u3 is easier to play, and is therefore "better", but that's exactly why the vpc-1 is the ideal practice tool for me as well.

What controller did you use before the vpc-1?

David Lai, wow. Your playing is seriously impressive. So inspiring! One day I hope to reach a level like that. Just amazing.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by U3piano
David Lai, wow. Your playing is seriously impressive. So inspiring! One day I hope to reach a level like that. Just amazing.
Thank you, I'm sure you will! This video was fun to make, and thanks to technology, it all came out beautifully. Hope it brought you a spring in your step! smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by navindra
Wow, thanks for the question, James, and the answer, David, on the recording process. It is very eye-opening and makes a ton of sense, although not entirely obvious at first!

David, may I ask how you are hearing your performance since you are not wearing headphones? I assume you are using speakers of some kind, but they are just not shown in the video?

Also, what is the device on your piano? Is it an audio interface?

Well done and bravo!

Thank you! To answer your questions:
1. I heard Charles' performance on a Bluetooth speaker, a little Sony SRS-XB12, and I monitor my performances through a pair of KRK Rokit5 G4s (not shown in the video) connected to a FocusRite 4I4 3rd gen audio interface (not shown either);
2. That device on the piano is a Korg NanoKontrol2. I use it to change volume if needed, and on some libraries, like the Garritan CFX, to adjust the ambient and close microphones on the fly as it has CC messages to do it.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello David,

Thank you for your explanation!

The resulting performance is very natural - it definitely "feels" like you are playing together.

Great job!

Cheers,
James
x

Thank you, James! Yes, I think we've stumbled upon a way for both of us to interact live to each other's music, while at the same time have clean and isolated performance takes for post production.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Just got a chance to listen to it, stunning performance, David!

If I didn't know any better, is say you were trying to hijack this forum into appreciating music from the usual arguing over actions and brands smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Amazing playing (from both, but who cares about a non VST violin 😊). Now waiting for the adagio...

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi friends!

So here's a video of me playing something on the VPC1 with Ivory II's American Concert D as the software. Details are in the video description. Hope you like it! smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhcvhhGJjs
Hello David,

Wonderful playing! I'm glad you like your VPC-1. I have a question about the Steinway D Ivory II. Is that VST very CPU intensive. I have been using my VPC-1 with Pianoteq 7 and/or Ravenscroft but I've heard so much about the Ivory II with the VPC-1 and I like how it sounds in your recording. What type of computer are you using? I have a 2011 mac mini with SSD and 8 gb RAM. Do you happen to know if that would suffice or would I be dealing with a bunch of latency issues?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi friends!

So here's a video of me playing something on the VPC1 with Ivory II's American Concert D as the software. Details are in the video description. Hope you like it! smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhcvhhGJjs
Hello David,

Wonderful playing! I'm glad you like your VPC-1. I have a question about the Steinway D Ivory II. Is that VST very CPU intensive. I have been using my VPC-1 with Pianoteq 7 and/or Ravenscroft but I've heard so much about the Ivory II with the VPC-1 and I like how it sounds in your recording. What type of computer are you using? I have a 2011 mac mini with SSD and 8 gb RAM. Do you happen to know if that would suffice or would I be dealing with a bunch of latency issues?

Nope, not for me, the CPU is always at single digits when I run Ivory II. I think your Mac should be good, but I'm not a tech expert, so I will let others tell you more about computers and tech. smile All I know is that this one sounds very good and the tone is rich! smile

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think Ivory is one of the least cpu intensive vst's.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Now waiting for the adagio...

I'm hoping that we could do the whole sonata, but my friend plays in the Symphony and has a busy schedule, so the next video will need to wait till he has some time off again. Luckily, he was very happy with the results as well and wants to continue. So I'm sure there will be a continuation for sure! I'm hoping that we will continue working together as well.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Just got a chance to listen to it, stunning performance, David!

If I didn't know any better, is say you were trying to hijack this forum into appreciating music from the usual arguing over actions and brands smile

LOL, we need some different discussion now and then, right? smile

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Ok thanks!

R
R
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I'm a bit at a loss to understand why optical sensing would be such a big selling point . . . While not perfect, it does its job remarkably well and leads to few complaints about how it functions; it seems odd to me that the VPC is singled out as to showing limitations in the technology?

I have a tendency to agree.
However,

Without an A/B comparison between the optical sensing and something like the VPC1 there's some degree of speculation going on. However I feel it's useful to think about how the piano action actually works so that could inform any listening. This article describes the action in detail: Touch and temporal behavior of grand piano actions.
The piano action functions as follows: The movement of the key is transferred to the hammer via the whippen, on which the jack is positioned so that it touches the roller knuckle of the hammer shank. During a keystroke, the tail end of the jack is stopped by the escapement dolly let-off button, jack regulator causing the jack to rotate away from the roller, and thus breaking the contact between key and hammer. From this moment, the hammer travels to the strings with a small deceleration due to gravitation and friction, strikes them, and rebounds from them “free flight of the hammer”. The roller falls back to the repetition lever while the hammer is caught by the back check. For a fast repetition, the jack slides back under the roller when the key is only released half-way, and the action is ready for another stroke

I can't see how the pianist can control anything other than: (a) the original thrust or force with which the keystroke causes the hammer to strike the strings and (b) the length of the legato 'after touch' that keeps the damper lifted off the strings and allows the strings to continue to vibrate; in slow moving passages the pianist can very slowly release the key and add some additional resonance time for the strings. I guess what I'm saying is that the situation is one of being an 'on/ off' action for the keystroke and then a matter of choice as to whether the damper is allowed to return to the strings which is usually (except in very slow moving situations) another 'on/off situation; the first is quite discrete, there's no in-between. Of course for the damper action there is half peddling but that's another situation. On VST, the software takes over for the resonance of the strings while the pianist may hold the key down.

However, I will admit my time with a finer quality piano-something used in a professional, classical performance- is very limited.
If only.

Last edited by Raymond_L; 01/24/21 07:08 PM. Reason: grammar correction
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Has anyone already played the new VSL BÖSENDORFER 280VC with his/her VPC1?

I am telling to myself: "you DON'T need another piano VST!"... but, you know, as we can't go out for anything (leisure kind) and should stay mostly at home... well, the piano playing is something which helps on this situation. So perhaps I could indulge myself and get this nicely sounding one. I have already a new large SSD waiting for even more samples! wink

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Has anyone already played the new VSL BÖSENDORFER 280VC with his/her VPC1?

I am telling to myself: "you DON'T need another piano VST!"... but, you know, as we can't go out for anything (leisure kind) and should stay mostly at home... well, the piano playing is something which helps on this situation. So perhaps I could indulge myself and get this nicely sounding one. I have already a new large SSD waiting for even more samples! wink

I did.

It is horrificaly bad. To be honest I think it sounds more like a trumpet than a piano. It's utter rubbish! Especially combined with a vpc-1 it sound really bad and is unplayable on top of that. I wouldn't bother. whistle

I'm sorry.

P
P
Oh no!! I was just about to buy this - Gamma1734's video on YouTube is just amazing! But I trust U3piano's ears....
Following...!

Page 14 of 47 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission