2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Welcome to the Slavic Themed Recital!

Please do not post in this thread - use the discussion thread!

A separate thread has been created for discussion:
Slavic Themed Recital 2018 - General Discussion Room

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:
Slavic Themed Recital Response Template

There are three ways to listen to the recital:

1. You can listen to individual performances below

2. You can use the Online Streaming Player

3. You can download the zip files:
slavic1.zip
slavic2.zip
slavic3.zip
slavic4.zip
slavic5.zip

Previous ABF recitals can be listened through the ABF Recital Index. This recital will be added to the index later.

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this recital. Special thanks to every one of those people who has made the recitals possible here on ABF.

DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD!

Time to listen!

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/Hgvg7csj7Xg
Title of piece:Russian Dance
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:14
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:Zoom H4N
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Having two daughters that take ballet (and who will both be dancing in the Nutcracker this year), I've been pleasantly surprised to start getting requests for this piece at home. That's a first for me...getting requests to play something.

Learning this piece reminded me of how back in the olden days every dance studio required a highly capable pianist to provide the music. Nowadays, the teachers just plug their phone into the sound system.

This is a fairly simple piece to learn. However speed is really the main challenge. The score calls for vivace then presto for the last 4 measures. I think my speed only amounts to allegro at first and then a slightly faster allegro. I can't go any faster without really losing too much left/right hand coordination. If you think I played this too slow or too fast let me know in the comment thread.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:60+ years
Title of piece:Skazka, Op 51, #2
Composer:Nikolai Medtner
Duration:04:13
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Recording method:TASCAM400; MP3 256
Additional info:For this themed e-Cital, I thought I'd prepare a couple of pieces I consider especially Slavic in "feel" -- Russian, more specifically. The first of these is Medtner's 2nd Skazka from his Op 51 set. He wrote many Skazki throughout his lifetime. These pieces are often translated into English as "Fairy Tales", but IMO the implication of a fairy tale in the West is different than the Slavic understanding -- I think just "Tales" would be a better descriptor, because, briefly put, the tales are asmuch for adults as for kids. In any event, the entire Op 51 set comes off for me as just SO charmingly Russian in its various ways, and this is an especially lyrical example.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Prelude, Op 32, #10
Composer:Sergei Rachmaninov
Duration:06:19
Recording method:TASCAM 400 MP3 256
Additional info:This is the 2nd of two pieces I consider especially Slavic in feel. My understanding is that Rachmaninov considered this Prelude to be his personal favorite -- he referred to its implied narrative as "The Return", although he didn't get more specific than that. For me, it evokes the sense of a full Slavic choir, expressing an immense spiritual lament of some sort. I agree with Rachmaninov -- it's a knockout of a piece.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Etude, Op 4 #3
Composer:Karol Szymanowski
Duration:04:48
Recording method:TASCAM400 MP3 256
Additional info:Karol Szymanowski was an early 20th Polish composer, predominantly known for his piano works, although he did write a significant amount of orchestral works as well. His style changed considerably as he matured, evolving from post-Romantic in his early years to a Scriabinesque impressionism, and finally to a more abstract Bartokian style with an emphasis on Polish folk music. This Etude is, I think, intended to evoke an operatic declamation, charged with high drama.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:zsolpyW
Experience:12 years as youth
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yedz1uIcxsA
Title of piece:Waltz of Love
Composer:Eugen Doga
Duration:03:44
Instrument used:KAWAI K48
Recording method:Zoom H2n, Panasonic LX10
Additional info:The waltz was composed by the Moldavian composer Eugen Doga.
It was made for the russian film "My Sweet and Tender Beast "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFklO4xGYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPv0h7d3ws

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:Almost 3 years now
Video link:https://youtu.be/7-GbKww9Dcc
Title of piece:In Church (Op. 39, No. 24)
Duration:01:58
Source of music:RCM 5 Etudes Book
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Recording method:Audio out from digital piano into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam, producing an MP4 file. Flac file was extracted from MP4, imported into Audacity, normalized and noise removed. Using ffmpeg, the audio replaced the original audio in the MP4 file, and a new mkv video file was created for YouTube.
Additional info:I didn't expect to submit for this recital, but I had this recording I did back in June so I figured why not. Hope that is OK. I played this piece for my RCM 5 Exam in August. 5.5 out of 6. In the comments, the examiner suggested that I play it a little slower to sustain the solemn mood smile

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Debusselchen
Title of piece:Harmonic pulp
Duration:03:21
Source of music:Jazz improvisation
Instrument used:this time I used an MIDI Keyboard, the Miditech i2-61. This instrument is not recommended. Ther is an annoying buffer issue that cause delays and inert play. i wasted 100 euro that is, i guess 50$ ? frown
Recording method:audacity

Drums backingtrack from youtube = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdBPSuPJ_c (are nice collection of Backing tracks)
Additional info:I attempted to experiment whit Jazz harmonics. I used servel Septchord progressions and play easy liks over them. I use only the tones of the respectiv chord for melody purpose and add some chromatics to fake harmonic knowledge.

I use also two different motif`s for structure. the challenge was to make fluent transitions betweenn them.
i was not sucessful.One motif only appears at the end.
the other one i used to offen. its sound a bit repetitive.

at the background i used an drum backingtrack from youtube
(See recording methods)

i have no experience whit jazz at all but i am realy fascinated

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and on as adult, resumed regular lessons 3 years ago
Title of piece:Slavonic Dance in e minor, Op. 72 no. 2 (duet)
Composer:Antonin Dvorak
Duration:04:02
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Grand piano in a church (don't remember the make)
Recording method:Smartphone video converted to mp3
Additional info:I played this duet with my daughter last year, and then in the summer of 2017 we got access to a grand piano in a local church and recorded it. She was 14 at the time. She played the primo part, and I played the secondo. She was recovering from a bad cold, so we didn't spend too much time recording but thankfully got a decent one pretty quickly. I absolutely love this dance (and yes, it's called "dumka"). I'm a big admirer of Czech culture (and Prague as a city), so learning a piece by Dvorak was quite special. The recording quality is not the best, as I didn't have a Zoom device at the time--we recorded it as a video on the phone, and then I converted it. Strangely enough for a teenager, my daughter actually enjoys playing duets with me smile

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and on as an adult, resumed regular lessons 3 years ago
Title of piece:October ("The Autumn Song")
Duration:04:49
Source of music:Sheet music (the Schirmer edition of "The Seasons")
Instrument used:Baldwin Acrosonic upright
Recording method:Zoom H2n
Additional info:I fell in love with this piece when I heard it at Sunwoo's (the gold medalist of the last Van Cliburn competition) recital this past spring--he played it as an encore. I'd heard it before, of course, but this time I truly appreciated it. I didn't have time to work on it during the summer, as I was traveling a lot, but I've managed to learn it after getting back in mid-August. As anybody who's ever tackled this piece knows, while it's not hard technically, it poses tons of musical challenges--how to play poignantly without making it too boring or too sentimental, how much rubato, how to control the sound, how to deal with all the repetitions, etc. As I was listening to this recording, I found some flaws, of course, but I think it reflects my current command of this piece and captures my interpretation of it pretty well. It's still in the high 80s in the Midwest, so it doesn't quite feel like October...

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Suite for Piano, Op 98, #s 2, 4, and 5
Composer:Antonin Dvorak
Duration:10:11
Additional info:Dvorak wrote this Suite while in America in the early 1890s, and like his other music written during that time, it has the American flavor best known in his New World Symphony. I elected to present 3 movements of the 5 in the Suite -- in the interests of full disclosure, I did change the ending of #5. The original concludes with material he introduced in #1, but since I didn't program the 1st piece, I simply repeated the "A" section with a more forceful conclusion.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Title of piece:Po Zarostlem Chodnicku, Part 2, #s 1, 2 and 3
Composer:Leos Janacek
Duration:07:44
Additional info:Leos Janacek compiled some of his piano pieces only after the fact, under the title "Po Zarostlem Chodnicku", typically translated into English as "On an Overgrown Path". He first selected 10 pieces to which he gave descriptive titles; i.e., he did not originally conceive the music with those descriptors in mind. Then in 1911, he wrote 5 additional pieces which he did not entitle, and this set of pieces is typically described as "Part 2". This was a new venture for me -- I find Janacek to be highly original, not quite like anything else I've come across. Because of the length of the pieces, I had to provide the material in two posts -- 1 - 3, and 4 -5.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Experience:60+ years.
Title of piece:Po Zarostlem Chodnicku, Part 2, #s 4 and 5
Composer:Leos Janacek
Duration:07:44
Additional info:A continuation of the Janacek set from the previous submission. My only additional comment is that, like his more well-known compatriot Dvorak, he thought more in orchestral than in pianistic terms. I found both the Dvorak and the Janacek clumsy to bring off at times, but this is not to disparage them -- it's just to say that they thought strings, reeds, brass, percussion, etc, and it's difficult to make the tremolos and delicate voicings convincing on the piano. I especially noticed that in 4 and 5 of Janacek's set.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Handyman
Title of piece:Bi-Ethnic Medley: Shubert - Waltz in B minor & Maykapar - Waltz (in D Major)
Composer:Franz Schubert (1797-1828) & Samuil Maykapar (1867-1938)
Duration:04:24
Source of music:Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Vol. 2 (75 Intermediate Selections) Edited by Lynn Freeman Olson
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301
Recording method:DP to Audacity on laptop via Behringer Audio Interface
Additional info:Well, this medley is half Slavic (the Maykapar Waltz) and given the somewhat flexible requirements for entry into this Recital that would seem to be enough in the way of minimum ethnic/national identity to gain it admittance. Or so I would like to think...

Franz Shubert was actually Austrian (not a German national as many think), and while that it not "Slavic" by any stretch of any loose definition he might have traveled in one or more Slavic countries at one time or another; or knew some notable Slavic people; or composed some music based roughly on various Slavic themes; or all of the above. He might even have informally been consider an honorary "Slav" by some Slavic composers of his acquaintance. Who really knows what was said in those exclusive "inner circles" he frequented. And anyway, his justifiably famous Waltz in B minor (Op.18a, No.6) with it's rich, dark, semi-brooding melody line sure as heck sounds Slavic to some of us Slav-wanna-bes!

Samuil Maykapar was Russian, which is about as Slavic as one would ever hope to be. He was apparently more famous as a conservatory piano/composition teacher than as a performer or composer in his own place and time. His Waltz (in D Major) Op.28, No.5 is a delightful short work that may be typical of his output. Here it works well as a followup piece to the Schubert Waltz, being more cheerful and playful and, as a bonus, in the relative Major key.

I have modified the arrangement of both pieces slightly, adding an "intro" to the Schubert Waltz based on measures 5-8 (because I was inspired to and because it works) and repeating several measures in the Maykapar Waltz (simply because it sounded "right" to me). This recording was made several years ago right before I went on a 2 year hiatus from playing - I've been back at it for about 8 months. I could have used Audacity to easily edit out the Schubert from the original medley, but decided not to since - as you will hopefully hear - the Waltzes really belong together, like peanut butter & jelly, or fine wine & cheese , or Rogers & Hammerstein, or, well, Shubert & Maykapar...

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Moo smile
Experience:~14 years lessons
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tble6dQfcq8
Title of piece:Elegie
Composer:Rachmaninoff
Duration:07:32
Additional info:This is my first piece by Rachmaninoff. I am still working on this piece so I have not got it up to full speed yet. Feedback welcome.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:Tyrone Slothrop
Experience:8 months 0 days
Home page link:https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tyrone_Slothrop
Title of piece:Morning Prayer, Op. 39 No. 1
Composer:Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:25
Instrument used:Roland FP-30 digital keyboard and Pianoteq STAGE/Steingraber E-272 software
Recording method:MP3 audio export file from Pianoteq STAGE
Additional info:I'm dedicating my playing of my first serious piano piece to my wife, as it's a piece from her homeland and came out of the quill of her country's most famous composer.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:outo
Experience:about 7 + some childhood lessons
Title of piece:Polka d minor
Composer:Glinka, Mihail
Duration:00:53
Instrument used:Bluthner baby grand
Recording method:Olympus LS-20M to MP3, Audacity to trim recording
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Glinka is often considered "the father of Russian music". He didn't compose a great amount of piano pieces, but among those are some real gems like the Nocturnes, many variations of folk tunes and the Valse-Fantasie. Wasn't able to learn something of that level for this recital, but this little Polka is also fun to play.

I have totally neglected my poor pianos and neither have been tuned for over a year. I did finally settle the date, but it's only in the beginning of November. So any problems with tone quality are my fault entirely, not the instrument's, which has always been a loyal servant for me:)

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:outo
Experience:About 7 + some childhood lessons
Title of piece:Meditation
Composer:Tansman, Alexandre
Duration:01:53
Instrument used:Bluthner baby grand
Recording method:Olympus LS-20M, Audacity to trim recording
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Alexandre Tansman (1897-1986) was a Polish composer. I had trouble finding anything suitable for this recital that wasn't Russian, but luckily I had this one in my library. It's from his collection for children "10 Easy Pieces for Piano".

Had no time to memorize so played with music, which is not something I can do fluently due to problems with my vision. As for the sound quality, see my other submission smile

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Performer's name:GoldmanT
Title of piece:Prelude in a Jazz Style No. 16
Composer:Kapustin
Duration:01:31
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Kawai CA67
Recording method:USB.
Additional info:This was uploaded to be a lesson to me. smile In the past I've tried working on pieces that were too hard for me, and ended up brute forcing the early stages to get them into my fingers, and having a <90% hit rate on any particular section when I come to perform them, because it's right on the edge of my ability, and this one was no different. It's a fun piece, a jazz style but definitely not jazz, and there are a few other preludes that I will try but Kapustin's reputation for being tricky is definitely well deserved! I might keep it going for another month and try to make a video at that point, but I'm looking forward to working on something easier, or even a few jazz tunes where you can make them as easy or hard as you want them to be.

Incidentally, most (all?) performances I've heard have this switched between swing rhythm and straight, especially for the big cascades in the middle, but there's nothing in the sheet music that indicates where these switches are so I swung the whole thing except where there were four 16th notes in a row.

O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
THE END

Please go to the discussion room!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission